Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

RatHat posted:

I like that her body is weird and she's not just a supermodel with a frog face like some other series might do it.

I'd like to note that everyone in that shot looks built as gently caress, like a bunch of people who are actually training to be superheroes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

I don't understand everyone saying Deku got deus ex machina'd out of the mind control. Dude had zero control over his body, what the hell was he supposed to do? I know we all want more complex/uncommon stories, but having the main character get knocked out in the first round seems like a bad idea given this still runs in a publication targeted at kids.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Patware posted:

Ha ha ha holy gently caress that's the first time I ever looked at a different clean, Mangastream is nightmarish in comparision.

No kidding. That last panel especially since the mangastream version just made his arm look Generic Anime Hurt while you can see how contorted his hand is and all he strips of flesh hanging off in the /a/ scans.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Rohan Kishibe posted:

Horikoshi's photo-realistic animal people are one of my favourite things.

Even better is that he draws them with human teeth.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

Edgeshot will live on

as a quirk ghost inside Bakugo's head.

Bakugo is gonna be able to fold his explosions super small and will weave them throughout shigaraki's body.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Aren't they first years in high school? That should put them around 15-16, since Japan does 3 years of high school, yeah? Not that any of the posted ages make it okay, mind.

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

I mean, I get that the joke is that she's always naked, and he was probably going for a funny gag...but the way it's framed looks way too much like a Playboy cover.

I'm gonna be real with you here: I don't think that cover image was meant to be funny.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

I, for one, like how when Deku shifts gears, he's making the motions with his hands.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Delphisage posted:

So Toga shapeshifted into Froppy for a couple panels and all it accomplishes is to confuse the readers as to what's going on.

Yup. The pacing is so completely hosed at this point. It feels like Hori slammed on the accelerator and we're along for the ride, but also we're wearing a blindfold and Hori is occasionally lifting it for a second at a time.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Imagining a pad of paper somewhere in Legendary studios's office that just has My Hero Academia, followed by "Chris Pratt?" and it's been circled a bunch of times.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Onmi posted:

What did Peter Parker take pictures for JJJ for?

Rent money, I imagine.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

How the hell did all might beat AFO the first time around if his superpower was "punch good"?

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Crazyeyes posted:

I think I missed a chapter or had a stroke. Where did the rewind power come from?

In related news: What the hell is going on? These are the absolute densest panels I have ever seen.

It was from the start of all this. iirc he took a pill or something that had Eri's rewind effect. He knows it's gonna rewind him to nothing, he's just trying to buy time and cause chaos while whatever is going on with Shigaraki happens.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I'm extremely glad All Might didn't get rewound back to his prime offscreen and I hope that stays consistent. It really does continue to serve to highlight the main difference between his and AFO's roles as mentors to their respective students.

Ironically, the result of how things have panned out has caused me to find All Might more compelling of a character than Deku himself, while I wish AFO would gently caress off and let Shigaraki actually have some time to grow.

AFO is gonna break All Might's power armor and AFO is gonna gloat over him until All Might reveals Eri not only learned to control her quirk but can now use it at range. Queue All Might rewinding to his prime.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I still can't believe that the LoV learned the power of friendship and how to be more effective villains only to immediately lose their entire organization in the immediate next arc and have Shigaraki more or less erased as a character.

I mean, isn't that just standard practice? Giving a character a whole bunch of development at once is basically just raising a death flag for them.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

CharlestonJew posted:

don't have a single clue what's happening in that last 2 page spread but it looks cool

It looks like Todoroki basically made a fighter jet airframe for Iida to make him more aerodynamic(?) and cool him off, and the speed that Iida is going at is tearing the Ingenium armor off Todoroki.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

I actually thought Deku's gear shift ability was neat in that if you can arbitrarily speed up or slow down your attacks instantaneously, it's hard to brace yourself for them. Unfortunately he only unlocked it at the very end while fighting a guy whose super power is Nuh-uh.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Rhonne posted:

That last panel Bakugou, I don't think your arm is supposed to bend that way, :gonk:

I think that was the arm that was already busted, wasn't it? And all might gave him that last piece of his armor to act as a splint.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Elite posted:

Hmmm.

Liked this chapter, though it was very very short.

I do think it’s given itself a hard job because “A true hero saves everyone, except that one guy but he was an evil baby so he doesn’t really count” is a difficult moral to pull off*... but I think his chapter did a good job positioning shiggy as a self-loathing edgelord lying to himself and laying the groundwork for how much AFO has been manipulating him.

But I really don’t give a poo poo about AFO as a character anymore. Not for a long time. Vanquished villain raising a successor just to spite his heroic nemesis was an interesting plot beat, evil villain trying to bodyjack his protege and become the ultimate lifeform just feels cartoonish and pointless. I suppose it was kind of unavoidable that AFO would show up in this mind realm because AFO is such a big part of shiggy’s backstory but last page makes it looks like we’re going to get a bunch of AFO quirk ghost bullshit which is most unwelcome. AFO said that All Might should’ve died to spur his disciple onwards - if only he took his own advice to heart like 50 chapters ago.

*especially when the guy you’re tying to save:
A) Has killed like a thousand people and is currently trying to blow up a country
B) Is basically invincible, so trying to redeem him is the only chance of winning rather than being a moral choice

The AFO quirk ghost basically feels like the culmination of what AFO was trying to accomplish in the first place. He wasn't just rampaging to be a nuisance; he was actively trying to get to shigaraki to give him the remaining portion of all for one, which AFO (the character) hoped would essentially let him bodyjack shigaraki iirc. I assume we'll get an actual explanation, but best I can figure is that Deku breaking shigaraki's deeply held notion that he's a vile person who can only destroy and no one cares about him left him in a weakened state and it was enough to let all for one get a proper foothold.

Valentin posted:

I have to say I would find AFO gave shiggy his quirk extremely extremely bad and very underwhelming on a thematic level so I'm hoping this isn't going there despite all appearances

It makes sense though since it parallels deku being quirkless and getting one for all from all might. It also is like, the most stereotypical marvel movie thing ever that at the end of a hero's introductory solo movie, they fight a dark mirror version of themselves (iron man vs the iron monger, captain america vs red skull, and black panther vs killmonger are the first ones to come to my mind).

I'm not gonna claim they're good developments necessarily, but they at least make sense in my mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Arist posted:

the answer is I didn't make the connection to the song, it scans a tiny bit better having been reminded of that

Tbh even without expecting the song to be playing, the structure of the chapter makes it pretty clear what's happening imo. Like, Deku says he's lost one for all but he still has the last embers of it. Then aizawa gives him a shirt and some bandages saying the refugees gathered up what they could to support him. Then there's a montage of people cheering on Deku, telling him to do his best before a full page of Deku running forward with a resolute expression and body language. I don't really know how you read all that and go "why is he running away though?"