Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I also think that puts to rest the idea the heroes might try to use Emi. But I was not expecting that Nighteye would die, I absolutely expected they would rewind on that or Mirio's Quirk.

Also I binged this series in 2 days after relentlessly slagging it off to a friend who kept trying to push me to watch it. Turns out it's extremely my poo poo, who knew?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Terper posted:

It's been a couple hours at most, jesus, give them some time.

More to the point, the main reason it was even being brought up was, obviously "Do we try to use Eri to save Sir?" And the answer was "No, not only do we not have any idea how her Quirk works, except for me, we have no way of stopping it. And even if we did, we've no idea how it'd react." In short, her power SOUNDS like a miracle... but the truth is that there's way too many things that just complicate even considering using her power. Sure, Sir's dying anyway, it's not like there's anything left to LOSE giving it a try. But that happens if, she not only erases Sir, but her power grows and she erases everyone in the room? Or the hospital? What if it causes a bad reaction in Mirio due to his quirk being nullified? The only character who likely knew exactly how her quirk worked, with plenty of research, was Overhaul. And even on the BEST of days he wouldn't have told them poo poo, even if they did have all the time in the world.

Then there's the moral question "Where does the line end if we do it and this does succeed?" Can you revert All Might to before he gave up One for All? Could you revert his body to before his injury? Or does Emi miss the mark and accidentally turn All Might into a high-school student again who's forced to take classes with everyone else? What if the VA decide to use her to restore All For One? The only way to stop her quirk is with someone like Eraser Head. Okay... what if her power grows in range and wipes him out before he can null her?

In short, they've probably thought about a lot of things once Deku told them, "Her quirk can revert people, even to theoretical non-existent versions of themselves, like if you had been born without a quirk" and concluded "For the one situation that matters right now, we still can't risk it."

And even if they could risk it, they'd be asking her to take the life of a dying man into her hands, and if she failed, or erased him by accident? Would you want that hanging on a kids head?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Side question

Is this a shadow or a new arm injury? I don't remember seeing that dark patch before.

Oh wait it's from the chunk of his arm he blew out fighting Muscular. drat I did not notice the mark before, no loving wonder Dekumom was like "The gently caress he's going back to UA."

Onmi fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Nov 24, 2017

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

GimmickMan posted:

I'm glad everyone's worries over lasting consequences were proven wrong. It is interesting that, ultimately, the arc with the most bullshit "make bad things unhappen" power was the one in which characters from both sides of the conflict have died onscreen. I'm not sure that makes this arc any good in hindsight, but maybe we'll look back and think it was brilliant foreshadowing or something a few months from now.

Looking forward to the anime adaptation showing the girls actually fighting.

Maybe it's cause I read it all at once, and thus didn't have the breaks you guys had to deal with, but I liked this arc. I mean it is longer than a typical arc but that's also because they tried to do it a bit more battle shonen rather than glossing over the other guys stuff. On the whole I think it did a good thing of showing Deku actually getting hero experience where he wasn't, for ONCE told "Deku don't do anything, say anything, or touch anything." Also the scene where he had Emi in his arms when confronted by Overhaul at the start was tense as hell, and it can NOT have been easy for him to not just kick him before he got a word in edgewise. I liked the Big 3, I think Foodman and Pipboy were interesting characters to watch in action... Like it is a little long, but I liked it. Does Deku have a personal reason to want to bust Overhaul's rear end? Not really... but he also doesn't need to. A lot of times a super hero isn't just going to be busting personal villains, they'll be fighting all manner of bad guys. Yeah his only reason to want to beat the poo poo out of Overhaul is that he's been killing and regenerating a little girl to turn her into bullets, has left her traumatized and scarred and heavily abused. And ya know what? That's a pretty good loving reason.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

I mean I do know a friend of mine who's vision impaired and will be blind in the next few years, she can't watch MHA because the motion makes her sick, yet a lot of her D&D groups pester her to try it. I'm the only person she knows who's similarly consumed the media and isn't trying to force her to do so.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

fractalairduct posted:

If the motion is a problem, would she be able to read the manga?

Nope, because reading for too long also gives her a headache, she's down an eye already, and the other one wont last for another 3 years.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Dragonatrix posted:

Well, that just casually demonstrating how Black Mist isn't All Might's cop friend was something I didn't expect here.

Looking forward to what Gigantomachia can do, considering he is named after a decade of fights in Greek mythology that was the gods fighting against the Titans. Considering the trend, I don't think he's going to be interrupting Bakugou and Todoroki's licence exam, since that'd be part of the intermediary breather before he shows up and all.

Deku offering OFA to Mirio is absolutely peak Deku. It'd be out of character for him to not consider it at all..

I don't think the first thing was ever meant to be a thing. There was never any shade thrown on it and it seemed tangential at best.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

blizzardvizard posted:

Toga impersonating Camie for such a long time doesn't make sense, since she can't replicate Camie's own Quirk and that would get noticed by her classmates. (Unless Toga fakes Camie calling in sick or something I suppose)

If it's the real Camie then there may be some memory-erasing thing going on from some member of the VA we haven't seen yet

Or third long shot option, Camie is in cahoots with Toga the whole time

Do note, this Camie has her shirt buttoned up, while Toga did not.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

I think this is dumber than "PORTAL MAN AND POLICEMAN ARE THE SAME PERSON BECAUSE THEY VAGUELY DRESSED THE SAME ONCE!" That said, I do find Endeavour and interesting character and, on top of learning what Camie's actual quirk is, I'm hype as gently caress to see their talk. Basically, this next arc is going to rock.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Elfgames posted:

i mean later he rages out because he gained the #1 spot without surpassing allmight and since allmight retired he knows that basically it'll be impossible to surpass him

but what i mean is http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Boku-no-Hero-Academia/No--093?id=361247#6 it doesn't paint him as a good person but i feel like the fact he was driven to it out of despair makes him more interesting and maybe perhaps more redeemable.

See I do find the idea of Endeavor hating All Might for basically being human, because of the self-justification of the human mind "So long as it was for X, it doesn't matter that I did Y" For Endeavor, so long as it was for surpassing the insurmountable All Might, then it didn't matter that he used his wife as a breeder and abused his son. Because in the end it would all be worth it. But if All Might, as he has, retires, having lost his power, then it means everything was for nothing, and he caused all that suffering without purpose. And THAT is an interesting character part for me. Like... from that page, he KNOWS he did something 'wrong' and deplorable and he's not deluded to thinking that somehow he's done something heroic to his wife and son. And of course, that's the typical abuser mindset, "X made me do it, Y made me do it, these aren't things I'd normally do I'm not a bad person it was just because of Z"

The things I personally want to know are: Why the hero name Endeavor? Why did he want to be a Hero, since Money doesn't appear to have much value for him?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

blizzardvizard posted:

It almost feels like the manga is trying to sweep Endeavor and Todoroki's past relationship under the rug, from the way All Might is telling him to do things his own way (which is really weird, if the manga is still planning to address his abusive behavior) but I guess I'll wait and see first.

It's not like All Might knows he was abusive to his wife

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Chapter was good and made me smile and helped keep my mind off my father's death.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Kanos posted:

I think this is less "Endeavor has changed" and more marking him finally understanding that he needs to begin trying to change.

I always think it's interesting that Endeavor accepts Shoto cordially detesting him without complaint, as though he realizes that it's deserved.

It's always been clear that Endeavor has never considered what he did to be very morally correct. It was just seeing All Might in such a depleted state and the realization that every horrible thing he'd done has been for absolutely nothing that hit him the hardest. And he's aware that crime's rising and things are getting worse, he needs to do something, because horrible father he may be, it's clear that he takes his "Hero" duties seriously. The contrast of watching the students use their quirks to open the hearts of children and All Might telling him that Endeavor doesn't need to be him etc. has put him, as you said, on the path to changing.

Shotou doesn't forgive his father, though it was excellent artistic use to have him showing his ice-side while scowling to endeavor and his fire side when showing him smiling afterwards.

After being the No.1 hero and having nothing work out and crime only getting worse Endeavor is looking to see what he can do to step up.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Fabricated posted:

Endeavour trying to be better is perfectly fine. I kinda hope Shouto didn't ever really forgive him, or good forbid his mom moves home.

Basically any redemption is kinda gross because his wife is still forcefully institutionalized, but there's no way we were getting out of this manga without Endeavors arc.

I mean she legit dumped boiling water on her own child's face, she was getting institutionalized after that no matter what. The fact that it was caused by Endeavour's dickishness is the real issue. That said, I figure he'll probably kick the bucket.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Chapter is good There's a culture festival coming up and everyone's pitching ideas, Kaminari notices Jiro is feeling a bit nervous and Shiro proposes they hold a concert/dance party as their class thing (Well, everyone pitched stuff in, like... Hero Quiz, or Death Match)

Overall, another really comfortable, light-hearted chapter giving a focus to the characters who've been overlooked a lil

Also Mina breakdances

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/read/my-hero-academia/en/0/174/https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/read/my-hero-academia/en/0/174/

Chapter is out

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

maybe I misunderstood but I didn't take Deku at the end as getting into a fighting pose so much as he was getting into a begging pose

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

ZiegeDame posted:

^^ There are other hero schools. UA closing would just make people think that tornado guy's school was better all along.

Seriously, this. Y'all harping on about Gentle is just a criminal who doesn't care what happens in the wake of pursing his goals, like notorious super-criminal Monkey D. Luffy (who at one point lead a jailbreak of the worlds most dangerous convicts in order to get what he wanted) isn't the protagonist of the most popular Shonen Jump manga of all time.

When Gentle said "That's what it means to pursue your dreams" it wasn't his selfish ideology, it was an accurate assessment of aggressively hierarchical society in which he lives where the only way to make it to the top is by stepping on someone else, regardless of how good your intentions are. If someone had told a young All Might "following your goal and becoming the #1 hero and symbol of peace will lead directly to a man abusing his wife and children" would he be selfish to do it anyway?

And there are other Heroes and Endeavor had even resolved more incidents than All Might, didn't stop that All Might's retirement caused an upheaval of insane villainy that's running rampant, overworking everyone, with the populace left worried for the future.

So of course if UA, the best hero school in Japan, even the world, shut down, unable to stop even a minor crook from breaking in and styling all over them, this would have no effect on anything. It certainly wouldn't be another pillar of society that just got torn away and left everything crumbling around it. It most definitly wouldn't empower criminals to be even more brazen, violent and lead to more incidents.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

amigolupus posted:

This is adorable :allears: It's kind of funny that the Civil War comics presents registering your powers and/or your hero identity as a terrible thing (mostly by having the leaders of the group do awful poo poo), but MHA shows registration's not really a big deal, and has actually helped out.

Then again that's a society in which 80% of all humanity has superpowers, not one in which a select few individuals do.

PMush Perfect posted:

I agree. Entirely unrelated, hey, thread, my friends, can we not speculate about why different national cultures might view and present things like that in different ways? We've already had one five-page derail this chapter.

Ooh just one small derail, Vigilantes says that Quirks in America are still a huge problem because there's back and forth on defining quirks under the 2nd amendment I think. Or something like that.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

blizzardvizard posted:

Is this the Endeavor redemption arc

I have faith in Horikoshi but I do hope this isn't gonna be assclass 2.0

I don't think it's the redemption arc of "The bad things I have done don't matter anymore." It's more "The world needs heroes to step up and protect it now that All-Might is gone. I can't be the person I was." And as much as he was a poo poo in his home life, Endeavor has never been a bad 'Hero' now it is an application of that drive he previously used to try to catch All-Might, to try to... fill the void?

He recognised he couldn't bring peace the way he was. And more selfishly, having 'Achieved No.1' he has to fill that. And 'Maintaining No.1' isn't exactly it.

Who knows, maybe they'll have Todoroki completely forgive him and he gets back with his wife and we completely ignore all the terrible things that happened. But I feel it's more about fleshing out Endeavor, and less about making him all hunky dory about everything. And you can dislike that, but it would be pretty poor writing to leave the now No.1 Hero as a flat bad dad.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

It's a very precarious line being walked. It seems, from my perspective

So Endeavor has been visiting Rei, but not actually seeing her since, for pretty obvious reasons he'd probably cause her to slide further back into emotional trauma. He's at least brought her flowers and has remembered small details he apparently only heard once. I think this is Horikoshi trying to say that "Endeavor, for as much as he appeared a heartless bastard, did have a heart of some kind." Which is probably necessary if we're to accept this arc as a redemption for the character. What's important is that no one's said the things he did in the past were justified, if that happens this is just the worst. It's clear this isn't a mending of the family, his children despise him and even the ones who barely remember him don't look upon him fondly. Again, it all depends on how this plays out, Forgiveness is one thing, because if we never forgave anyone for their errors then we'd be living in a pretty terrible society, what's important is that forgiveness does not come with the excuse of past actions. it needs to be recognised that Endeavor Did a Bad.

All that said, there's a lot of speculation that instead of his Redemption, we're actually getting Endeavours death.

The way I see it, this is his test period. If he dies here, then Society plunges into despair over losing its Number 1 hero. If he wins, then he'll finally, in the eyes of society and in a public place, be accepted as 'Number 1' essentially this fight has to change how Endeavour thinks, how he approaches a situation. And I think Hawks is playing the Judge basically, more than likely.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Jun 15, 2018

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

SyntheticPolygon posted:

It seems she basically already has.

At the very least it appears to be recontextualizing Rei's institutionalising as not simply an act of "She harmed my project, ergo, she needs to go away." And more into him actually trying to get her help and at least being human enough to visit and bring gifts. But unless we actually see those visits it's all in the readers imagination.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

I think people have rightful fears over this considering at least two manga in the past two years had abusive parental figures the manga turned around and went "Thank you for scarring me for life." with their characters, which is... yeah, no. I think the important thing with MHA is it's never tried to portray what Endeavor did as a good thing, the notable point for me being that, when seeing All Might in his true state and the point where his foundations start shaking, he does think of Todoroki and Rei, and specifically in the sense of "The things I've done."

So at the very least, from Endeavor's own internal perspective, he thinks the things he's done are not good things. That's the reason I have hopes that MHA wont pull an Assassin Classroom, because from Endeavor's own internal perspective, he knows he was a rat bastard. If he didn't his mind wouldn't go to something like this. And honestly the fact that his actions were spurred on, not from a desire to see his son succeed, but as said here, the despair of his own failings is one of those ridiculously human motivations that's all too real.

So at the very least even from the perspective of the perpetrator, it's portrayed as a morally wrong abusive action.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Rhonne posted:

So how do these "the abusive parent actually did nothing wrong" stories go over in Japan? They seem pretty universally hated here, but what does the target audience think of them?

I actually have no idea. In the end we don't even know if that's the author's personal desires or Shonen Jump telling them to do it. Culturally it's sadly a very real thing over there, in may abusive ways. Not that "Parents forcing their children to succeed by basically dictating their lives" is exclusively a Japanese concept, but the sheer level of micromanagment it can devolve in to is... yeah. Then again, we have to remember Shonen Jump is still a magazine primarily read by its target audience, children. Some of them don't really have the ability to put a nuanced spin on abuse like that.

For all I know they go over swimmingly because of how many kids are abused "For their own good"

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Eej posted:

Ask any Asian kid how these things go over and it's more or less culturally the same. Japan is the more extreme example

My ex was like that, unfortunately she was a case where she soaked up the abuse and then in turn used it on others. Emotionally very controlling and manipulative and toxic. And that's another sad fact of life, abuse victims becoming abusers.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

oh jay posted:

My issue with that tweet is that he contextualizes it as "humanizing an abuser" as if the fact that he is inhuman is not up for debate. For me, inhuman or monster is like knowingly and maliciously committing genocide or mass murder.

Endeavor is somewhere on the "big loving piece of poo poo" tier of things.

I.E. In this very manga, Overhaul, who comatose'd a girls legal guardian, literally broke her down into pieces to create bullets full of her flesh and blood and then put her back together again, over and over again torturing and killing her.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

For the record. Does ANYONE know if Dabi is actually related to Endeavour, or is this totally just fan theory still?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Spoilers are coming out

The ideas I've seen are

1. Endeavour is loving dead
2. Now he'll have a scar that resembles his Sons

Onmi fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Jun 22, 2018

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

https://readms.net/r/my_hero_academia/188/5169/1

Chapter is out now. The MS one is closer to accurate, the Box one is very confusing.

EDIT: to clarify the ending dialog those thoughts are Endeavors, not Todoroki's. Neither translation is clear, but he's essentially saying 'I will become someone you can be proud of, as a hero and as a man.'

Onmi fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Jun 22, 2018

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Tekne posted:

It's time for the last resort.

FUNERAL PYRE!

Is that what you call it when you Majin Vegeta yourself?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Endeavour promised his son that he would be a better person and a better hero, so he's going to win even if it almost kills him.

Shoto, Rei...I do this for you. And yes...even for you, All Might.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Rhonne posted:

So can we all agree that High End is totally just Muscular?

Also man, this has me worried that the League is going to start taking out the whole 10 top. Stay safe Mirko! :ohdear:

EDIT:

Baby Dabi was small.

I know you're mostly just having fun, but to be a debbie downer there's no way that's real.

That's not Dabi, Dabi has black hair, which actually neither Endeavour or Rei have. Dabi is just someone with a fire quirk, there's nothing implying he's related to Todorki besides, "He knew his name... which he'd know because the sports festival made him a big deal"

Especially as there's no reason to believe Endeavor would ever burn his own child, considering his two other kids, who are older than Todoroki, while the small white haired boy is clearly younger, both show no signs of physical abuse or that their father even really gave a gently caress about them and wasn't laser-focused on making a hybrid quirk heir. In fact, it would straight up go against his focus on surpassing All Might through surrogacy.

So no, Dabi's just a flame-based Quirk-user, he's no more Endeavour's son than Midoriya is. Midoriya's dad breath's fire, does that mean he's also secretly Endeavour?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Patware posted:

a) people can dye their hair, especially if they have a weird hair color that would clearly mark them as a Todoroki
b) whether or not Endeavor gave Dabi his weird-rear end disfigurement (I agree that he probably did not) isn't relevant to the theory
c) Hoshikori went out of his way in the Bakugou Kidnapping arc to give Shouto and Dabi a weird little moment, which felt an awful lot more like a narrative clue than anything else (the name recognition is less important than the fact that they had that little beat at all)
d) also just going off how narratives work, no other villain has popped up that's had a backstory link to any of Class 1-A, which would be a massive note to miss given the other obvious parallels between the hero course kids and the evil teen squad

There's also the issue that Cremation just doesn't work how Hellfire works at all. whereas the Half-Heat side of Todoroki works exactly the same as Hellfire does. Granted we don't know everything about everyone's quirks, but beyond both being fire-related they do not appear to function the same.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Rhonne posted:

I mean, why keep the other brother a secret then if he's not Dabi? Why not have him show up along with his other brother in the last chapter?

I don't know, did you think the other brother was being kept a secret when we only met the sister when Todo first went to see his mother? Is Dabi Deku's dad because Deku's dad hasn't been shown, and why not show him while his son is competing in the sports festival?

Why didn't the other brother show up? Because surprisingly, Horikoshi is a good writer and understands the tenants of keeping a scene simplistic. The extra brother would just be there to be background or add more words. Why if him being missing is such a big deal, do none of the kids mention him when thinking poorly of Endeavor?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Rhonne posted:

The brother not being there is weird because Endeavor being (nearly)killed on national TV is a huge event that effects the whole family. Like, even if he wasn't at the hospitable with his brother and sister, there still should have been some kind of reaction shot from him. The flashbacks have also gone out of their way to hide his face. Like, if he's not Dabi, then clearly something is going on with the brother.

The traitor is Mina because that would upset me the most.

And yet when Endeavor is going "The despair of it... drove me to..." He's not thinking of some shadowed child alongside Shoto and Rei. He can't be regretful and think he's a bastard regarding Shoto and his wife, and yet not a wayward son who's fallen to villainy? So even if we concede that Dabi is Endeavor's son... Clearly, Endeavor didn't do anything to him. Which means it's not relevant. The other kids make it clear that Endeavor barely gave a gently caress about them.

I'd more buy into Dabi having been a villain that Endeavor burned or defeated, or perhaps a fanboy who, upon realizing what a jerk he was, burned himself. Or just completely unrelated.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Xarbala posted:

Now the traitor stuff, that I just block out completely.

No but see Kaminari is the traitor because he didnt' turn his head to look at Shoto like the rest, he was looking at the TV.

EDIT: To clarify I actually saw someone say this

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Nuebot posted:

Social Media strikes again!

I'd actually kind of like that to be the resolution to that whole "plot", that enough people just casually slipped up that the villains pieced it together without much difficulty.

The issue with that is when we look at Camp. They were in the middle of a forest they had no way of knowing was the campsite because it's not what was advertised for them. Only someone at camp who could have communicated it could let them know, or a staff member who knew. That's a limited selection.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

Nope.

Which is kind of a hint that, you know, his name is actually relevant.

I don't doubt his name is relevant, I just... don't think it's a good revelation for him to be a failed Endeavor prodigy, It's not been properly hinted at, and if it was the case I'd be loving annoyed we had all these internal thoughts and not one thought like that.

You know, is what I say, but I don't doubt whatever Hori does I'll be going "And that's why you're the master."

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Mirage posted:

I'm gonna muddy the waters here a bit by noting that any of the kids could have whipped out their phone (or other communication device) during the run through the Forest of Magical Beasts and sent a "We're here" message with GPS coordinates. Since the bad guys didn't show up until night of the second day, they had plenty of time to prepare.

But if we take the anime's added bit where Shigaraki says "The master found them" then everything just goes insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Eej posted:

I see you missed out on that early crack theory

The DekuDad theories are

1. Endeavor, because apparently, EVERY fire quirk user should be Endeavor and
2. All For One.