Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TearJerk
Jun 25, 2015

Deki posted:

Honestly if this is darkfall UW the second and it's got a somewhat competitive launch I'll probably feel I got my 30$ worth. I enjoyed both darkfalls and those were developmental trainwrecks.

The games are completely different :frog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Not if you play in the more hardcore pvp campaigns :getin:

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Deki posted:

Honestly if this is darkfall UW the second and it's got a somewhat competitive launch I'll probably feel I got my 30$ worth. I enjoyed both darkfalls and those were developmental trainwrecks.

theres already been 2 darkfalls? wow

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The first was a game that started development like two decades ago and as far as I know never really got off the ground. Then Unholy Wars was made as a reboot or something.

WayAbvPar
Mar 11, 2009

Ah- Smug Mode.

If Darkfall was about 200% less grindy it would be fun as hell. OTOH it did force me to learn to use AutoHotKey :allears:

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

WayAbvPar posted:

If Darkfall was about 200% less grindy it would be fun as hell. OTOH it did force me to learn to use AutoHotKey :allears:

Before UW came out, I remember reading that they were going to implement a daily cap to stats so you could spend most of your time pvping or crafting or whatever and not grinding poo poo, but I guess it was not to be.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

The Shortest Path posted:

The first was a game that started development like two decades ago and as far as I know never really got off the ground. Then Unholy Wars was made as a reboot or something.

yeah i played the first one, i just didn't know it apparently shut down at some point.

surprisingly (or maybe unsurprisingly) the wiki for darkfall doesn't mention it's been shutdown anywhere. it just refers to it in the past-tense in the synopsis paragraph.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Pre-alpha testing is starting soon and uh, it actually looks kind of fun and interesting? I'm also completely surprised that they're anywhere remotely close to their initial schedule.

Looking forward to seeing how things feel and how amazingly stuff breaks during these tests.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
I hope there are still goons left with phase one access that haven't sold everything. I wanna see pictures.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
I kicked in 215, i think that was phase 2 alpha though. That centaur looks baller as gently caress.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

There's no NDA so I'm sure we will get plenty of vids and maybe some streams even.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Anyone heard from vikingnail?

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

always be closing posted:

i checked the forums a couple weeks ago and they were still posting

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Anoia posted:

I hope there are still goons left with phase one access that haven't sold everything. I wanna see pictures.

I'm in phase one, not pre though

I make poor purchasing decisions

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.

malhavok posted:

I kicked in 215, i think that was phase 2 alpha though. That centaur looks baller as gently caress.
Yeah, that's alpha 2. You need the pack above that for alpha 1.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

always be closing posted:

pfft, he's literally on there all the time all alone. It's really sad too since like now he dropped his "schtick" and just replies in ellipses like a little whiny bitch~ :allears:

like everyone else went to do more important things and he's just there alone. Not really surprised, he could probably talk to a wall for days to try and win an argument.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

Stormgale posted:

I'm in phase one, not pre though

I make poor purchasing decisions

i only bought the 30usd thing but we can regret this dumb game together :glomp:

Lastgirl posted:

pfft, he's literally on there all the time all alone. It's really sad too since like now he dropped his "schtick" and just replies in ellipses like a little whiny bitch~ :allears:

like everyone else went to do more important things and he's just there alone. Not really surprised, he could probably talk to a wall for days to try and win an argument.

outstanding

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
Any streams of this yet? i think they are already playing.

Zarithas
Jun 18, 2008

The Shortest Path posted:

it started development in 2001 so it was about 10 years of work. it did get off the ground and was actually quite a good engine (graphics quality is debatable, but I thought they were alright), it just wasn't able to stay off the ground for very long. if DF 1 had a higher player retention rate (by being a better game) it could've been something really amazing. the game had a very active player population in the first 4 or so months.

DF 2/Unholy Wars was that attempt at making a better game with better retention, but they wasted all their time on building a somewhat prettier engine rather than building better mechanics and content. i think it's still alive but i imagine will shut down within a year or 2.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

Zarithas posted:

it started development in 2001 so it was about 10 years of work. it did get off the ground and was actually quite a good engine (graphics quality is debatable, but I thought they were alright), it just wasn't able to stay off the ground for very long. if DF 1 had a higher player retention rate (by being a better game) it could've been something really amazing. the game had a very active player population in the first 4 or so months.

DF 2/Unholy Wars was that attempt at making a better game with better retention, but they wasted all their time on building a somewhat prettier engine rather than building better mechanics and content. i think it's still alive but i imagine will shut down within a year or 2.
yeah i was kinda sad about darkfall cause the combat was fun. everything else was/is poop

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

darkfall:uw had good exploration and dangerfeel and they did a good job of rewarding solo/small group play with the way treasure maps worked (which also meant killing random folks in the wilderness was pretty rewarding), combat was a lil janky but cool, big battles were cool when they didnt get too laggy, AAA mmo budget darkfall would be real cool

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
My favorite part of Darkfall:UW are the terrible nerds who loved 1.0 and obsessively hate Aventurine for trying to modernize it. I've got a lot of former darkfall players as friends so I get to hear about the idiots often.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

no this is outstanding imo

"You are being given 1 warning point for the post you made in You Can Only Build Cities On Specific Plots In Campaigns?
You were overly insulting and also being vulgar. You are smart enough to counter arguments without resorting to abusive behavior. "

:allears:

A mod called me smart~ <3

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

Lastgirl posted:

no this is outstanding imo

"You are being given 1 warning point for the post you made in You Can Only Build Cities On Specific Plots In Campaigns?
You were overly insulting and also being vulgar. You are smart enough to counter arguments without resorting to abusive behavior. "

:allears:

A mod called me smart~ <3

i think that's called a canned response, lg. sorry to burst your bubble :smith:

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Blazing Zero posted:

i think that's called a canned response, lg. sorry to burst your bubble :smith:

hosed up if true

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Why can't the mods just be like ours and post a bad anime gif for a reason?

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Pavlov posted:

Why can't the mods just be like ours and post a bad anime gif for a reason?

CF mods are deader on the inside than ours

Zarithas
Jun 18, 2008

Deki posted:

My favorite part of Darkfall:UW are the terrible nerds who loved 1.0 and obsessively hate Aventurine for trying to modernize it. I've got a lot of former darkfall players as friends so I get to hear about the idiots often.

i honestly do not know what merits UW has over DF1 since i didn't play it for long, but i personally just couldn't get into the combat after being used to DF1 for ages. DF1 combat just felt very smooth and natural (if twitchy, arguably too twitchy), while UW felt unintuitive in a way that i can't explain well. janky, slow, something like that. i'm sure UW is probably a better game overall otherwise, but DF1's fun combat was one of the only things it had going for it, so you can't blame people for complaints about that if that is what they're complaining about. (i don't know if the combat is any better now; i only played immediately after launch.)

Zarithas fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Aug 31, 2015

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
UW wasn't good by any means, but Darkfall 1 was dying hard. The political maps were showing the 7 or so active guilds holding multiple cities, and even after they lifted the sub cost, you couldn't find anyone around anywhere. UW was the slap of (lead based) paint that Aventurine thought they needed, and it didn't work out because Aventurine.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Deki posted:

it didn't work out because Aventurine.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
No love for the latest video? that poo poo looks legit compared to what camelot has after like two years.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

malhavok posted:

No love for the latest video? that poo poo looks legit compared to what camelot has after like two years.

it looks like fun but generic combat

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
I actually bought Albion Online because I somehow got it confused with this game, and AO turned out pretty okay.

I'm hoping this game turns out pretty okay too.

Zarithas
Jun 18, 2008

malhavok posted:

combat looks alright, but the "+45" "-67" hitpoint popups irk me. might just be subjective for me but i always find those distracting and unnecessary.

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Is bartering still planned or did they cave and add currency?

Drakkus
May 14, 2002

yum~

Gerbil_Pen posted:

Is bartering still planned or did they cave and add currency?

They gave up on the idea of having no central currency a few months back:

https://crowfall.com/#/news/coin-of-the-realm

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Kimsemus posted:

I actually bought Albion Online because I somehow got it confused with this game, and AO turned out pretty okay.

I'm hoping this game turns out pretty okay too.

Looks like it might be passable. Maybe some of the game modes will be ok? Maybe it'll be a decent alternative to Smite or Skyforge. Not worth the thousands of dollars demanded for a kingdom but potentially worth the minimum purchase.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

Unguided posted:

Looks like it might be passable. Maybe some of the game modes will be ok? Maybe it'll be a decent alternative to Smite or Skyforge. Not worth the thousands of dollars demanded for a kingdom but potentially worth the minimum purchase.

yeah 30 dollars seems fair for whats been presented and promised so far

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
If you want to see people playing the combat 'module' there are people streaming the pre-alpha: http://www.twitch.tv/directory/game/Crowfall

Looks better than I thought it would at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
I got so annoyed at people playing badly i had to shut it off.

• Locked thread