Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Does anyone else read Kazami in re:rise as a transman?

He's got a name that's usually assigned to girls, he's one of the very few people in GBN who has a human avatar with a build different than their real-life body type, he's obsessed with a hyper-masculine ideal that then gets an associated anguished declaration about becoming his true self, and I feel like we learn the least about his past of any of the team. His big source of personal tragedy seems oddly small compared to Hirito's and Par's. Also his girlfriend will never, ever see his original body.

I have to wonder if there's something there that they weren't willing to go through with in a half-hour toy commercial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

If I really liked re:Rise and want more like it, what are my options? Obviously including non-Gundam anime because, well, you know.

I've already watched everything else Gundam Build except Island Wars, which I can't seem to find anywhere.

Overman King Gainer (and to a lesser extent, Xabungle) are already on the list.

Are any of the SD Gundam things good and available in english?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Endorph posted:

What about it did you like specifically?

1. I feel like the tone hit my "easy viewing" sweetspot, where I definitely believed things would turn out ok but knew there was a possibility they wouldn't. Something like first Gundam I have to be in the right mood for.
2. I feel like the character development and themes fit together well. Like, I can see why Par would build a flying dragon gunpla and then be really reluctant to fly with it, and then build an improved model based on Cuadron. And Kazami's transformation from awful to cool was great.
3. This is probably pretty personal but I feel like I needed to hear what it was saying after the big plans I made last year to improve things for myself were 2020'd off a bridge into a flaming dumpster. Not exactly expecting this lightning to strike twice.

Darth Walrus posted:

You ever watch Summer Wars (the Mamoru Hosoda movie)? That should scratch some of your itch.

Oh shoot yeah, I've heard about that one. Putting it on the list.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I don't think you can really ding Penny Arcade for still existing, considering they have actually expanded considerably beyond the webcomic rather than just merely plugging onwards indefinitely out of inertia as some have.

Infinite Dendrobium is actually pretty decent and might scratch that itch.

Did your phone just autocorrect Dendrogram into Dendrobium?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Your english-watching option here is the Doozy Bots unreleased pilot :v:.

Maybe if I feel like watching Build Fighters Try again I could do that instead.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Is there a way to watch Island Wars in English aside from buying the disc? Also same question for Stargazer.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Bloody Pom posted:

Wouldn't Quatre have the highest individual kill count, on account of glassing colonies during his Wing Zero murderspree?

Yeah. I was going to make a few statements about Wing being fairly bloodless by Gundam standards and then I remembered that. I think he's got more kills than entire antagonist factions.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Doing a rewatch of Bland Divers in advance of the Battleogue, man this poo poo has a lot of lame episodes. Even compared to Try it's pretty bleh, like compare Gunpla Collection (ep 10) of Try to the Nadeshiko-althelon (ep 19) of Divers.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Given that the GBN guy is also Captain Zeon I feel like he's a fan that drunk the kool-aid a bit.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Bloody Pom posted:

Nobody tell Setsuna about the AV system. Guy does not need his obsession with becoming Gundam encouraged like that.

Or Phenex.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Gonna repost this dumb thing from r/Gundam.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

I kinda want them to remake Wing with no changes other than better fight choreography and genderswap EVERYONE.

I feel like this would make Wufei at least 40% more tolerable.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

I dunno, does it make it any better if it's a 14 year old girl out for blood over her dead husband?

I said "40% more tolerable", not "perfectly fine".

Also Build Diver Battleogue will be up tomorrow morning, thumbnail is a picture of Freddie with a mic so I guess he's narrating the dream battle. Glad to see they know what I want.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

ninjewtsu posted:

Does genderswapped wufei rant and rave about how men have no place on the battlefield or is it only gender that changes and she still shouts at everyone about how girls are weak while she crushes them

I feel like both are hilarious but I'm leaning towards the former.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

chiasaur11 posted:

Well, the Build Divers Battlogue has started.

So far, it is very, very stupid.

I mean this in the most positive sense.

Edit: gently caress yes. They're actually going for Freedom Vs. Barbatos.

Of course, then they give us a Rocky III blue-balling, but hey.

Is that book Freddie's holding a real thing?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

wdarkk posted:

Is that book Freddie's holding a real thing?

Quoting myself because it seems like the answer is no, they show the ISBN for it (979-4-0079-0080-7) but that doesn't seem to be a real book. I assume it's a joke, based on the one year war in the middle?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Warmachine posted:

Re:Rise is worth the watch. They did a good job of making a character show about the characters and their growth.

Yeah. It also has some pretty great fights within its reduced budget, especially in the second half.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Bloody Pom posted:

:confused: I was replying to the person asking where I got it from?

The WarCrimes one would be far more relevant to this thread.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

The SRW Z let’s plays are definitely the proper way to watch Destiny.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Omnicrom posted:

:emptyquote:

Or L if you can find one/play it, where Shinn has some emotional intelligence and just ASKS Kira for his help against the Destroy to save Stella.

Isn’t that the one where he asks Yzak or Dearka (I am not up on my SEED lore) what Kira’s deal was first?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

Kira is an engineering nerd, he doesn't know how to talk to people.

It's one of the many things that got copied from 0079, where Amuro was more interested in nerd poo poo than girls, food, clothing himself, or not getting blown the gently caress up by space nazis.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Did AGE have microtransactions?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Endorph posted:

what do you think gunpla is

Ok, point.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Rightstuff has the Origin manga on sale and I'm tempted to pull the trigger but it's still really expensive.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

If you count Re:Rise as an AU then Hiroto’s parents are pretty cool.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

That's probably part of it, though I think it mostly comes from them not realizing that a full size Space Colony would be way more durable than anything we've constructed in real life for space travel or exploration, if just from the sheer scale we're talking about, let alone the materials they'd be made out of(like even the glass* would probably be dozens of feet thick at the absolute thinnest, something like the Zaku blowing up in the first episode of MSG would barely even scratch it, not the giant gaping hole we see it make), like I'm not going to rag on Gundam too hard about this, but it would be nice to see them be more accurate about it in a future AU(kinda like how IBO heavily boosted the durability of space ships)

*which probably wouldn't even be actual glass and instead some sort of super advanced polymer or alloy

Yeah that's the book, I think I read a chapter or two of it back in High School and I should get myself a copy someday

Also on the topic of concepts from famous science authors, Gundam really should include an Astrochicken in a future series

The Dyson tree is also a cool concept that could be in a Gundam show, as a place where people hide from the corrupt Federation/space assholes/etc.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

To be fair that has less to do with how powerful beam weapons are and how badly made Space Colonies in Gundam are compared to what the real thing would be like

I mean most of the outer wall of Island Iffish is recognizable after smacking into the earth for 60 gigatons worth of boom so i feel like colonies are in fact pretty durable in a non-beam context.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

Some considerably more than others.

I feel like there's room to argue whether Amuro killing that dude in a hospital is a war crime or not, since the dude did come after him. (I think it's been goddamn forever since I saw that.)

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

IIRC Tequila Gundam has some popularity in Mexico.

EDIT: I doubt Iraqis would be pleased about Scud Gundam though.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Surprised Marida isn't up there. Or is she more of a western fan thing?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Shiro isn't even the best ball pilot we know about.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

So Shiro vs Aina:
Ball Type-K vs Rick Dom Prototype Zaku
Ends in a draw 1-1

Umon Samon:
Ball with a Gundam faceplate on it (destroying its balance) vs THREE actual Rick Doms
Ball is shot down but the pilot survives and took out all three Rick Doms (another page on gundam.fandom says he took out SIX Rick Doms instead)

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

General Ironicus posted:

I wrote a feature on the legacy of Gundam as science fiction television, reflected in current series The Expanse. Thought people here might like it though I'm nicer to one title in the recommendation list than most folks in the thread are: https://thespool.net/features/the-expanse-mobile-suit-gundam/

Let me know if there's some place to get the perspective from the other side, I'd love to see what other Expanse fans think.

EDIT: I feel like you picked the wrong video for the Char's Counterattack segment, since it's kinda showing the ending and all.

wdarkk fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Feb 9, 2021

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

chiasaur11 posted:

(Also, did some more calculations. Assuming that my earlier Gjallarhorn numbers were more-or-less right, there are about 3,000 Grazes in service, with 146 destroyed on screen. That's fairly similar to the number of Jegans produced by the Federation according to databooks, (fitting their similar roles) and a much larger number of battleships, which fits with how battleships declined in importance in the UC.

I was thinking about stuff like this earlier, what are MS production levels like in the UC? What are the top 5 MS production runs? I'd assume the Zaku II, GM, maybe a few more fed grunts?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

DamnGlitch posted:

It was great when they did. Midnight run for that real deathsythe hell flavor

Pretty sure I have my old vhs tapes of that somewhere. Probably unwatchable even if I did get a vcr working.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Maybe Zeon was just good at opsec, and nobody in the Fed high command actually knew how thin Zeon's tether was until Revell came back and was like "I saw it with my own eyes!"

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Apparently people really didn't like the 1979 art.

Should have got Turn-A instead.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Endorph posted:

https://twitter.com/feezy_feez/status/1368014212342050820

ngl, 100 ep turn-a sounds pretty rough, so this was probably a good call

Turn A is probably the only Gundam to really make use of 50 eps but even then it has a clip show in there (kinda early for some reason, maybe it's covering a production issue?). I mean I would watch an extra 50 eps of the militia doing dumb things and Loran using the gundam as a washing machine but I feel like it'd be stretched a bit thin.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Droyer posted:

Build Divers has some fun characters and some good stand-alone episodes but the main plot is is absolutely awful. ReRise is cool though and I don't think you like, need to watch Divers for context, though you will ofc. miss some of the references.

There's a few decent stand-alone episodes buried in there, but nothing essential. I'll second watching episode 15 because it's maybe the best one, although I kinda like 7 and 16 as well (these being the only times the team does a mission as a team without the plot intruding, coincidence?).

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Blaze Dragon posted:

Probably because he is. Neither Reiji nor Sekai had any Gunpla Battle or even Gundam knowledge before their series began. Sei had the latter, but very little of the former. Riku's just a void of personality so there's nothing to be found there. Hiroto's the only one that's an experienced protagonist from day one.

I checked a few profile things and it looks like Hiroto's been playing GBN for six years. KO-1's profile said GPD shut down four years before Divers, then two years between Divers and Re:Rise. Then again Hiroto doesn't look 11 at the farewell tournament, but maybe they didn't want to do another character design for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

So I don't want to watch Build Divers again, but the wiki page on KO-1 says the MMO was around for at least four years before Divers started. We see the moment the scene switched in Re:Rise episode 19 (presumably KO-1 was quitting just then), Re:Rise takes place two years after Divers, so that's a flashback to six years ago.