Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

I haven't posted in DIY (or whatever ya'll call yourselves) before, but here we go.

Old awfulness: https://imgur.com/a/mn9J1JN

Expect irregular updates

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I like your live oaks.

Thanks! I'm in Austin in a neighborhood called Oak Hill. I've got 3 in the backyard providing the whole hill yard with shade, and the chickens love it.

Blowjob Overtime posted:

Start a thread and :justpost: imo

I'll put one together with what I've done to the place so far, and what's coming, sure. Until then, day 1 progress:

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Obvious answer is harringbone.

If you're going to have a threshold it doesn't matter. Do it to your taste. Some like the same with matching seams over a threshold. Some like it the opposite. The weird ones (:wave:) like it off the wall which will immediately mean a remodel when sold.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

brugroffil posted:

We're in the first stages of planning to remodel our kitchen in the second half of next year. What are some common mistakes/things to look out for in the early design stages? Are full plywood boxes worth the upgrade over furniture board construction? Any "absolutely avoid this brand at all costs" for cabinets?

What about what to look for in a contractor? We've done a lot of home remodeling ourselves, but not to this scale and rarely with a contractor.

Oh hi me from 6 months ago.

1. Cabinet brand will matter depending on what you want. I went with cabinets.com, but I shopped around and got the best deal vs home Depot, cabinets to go and a few others. Shop around, get someone to give you a layout and translate that across all the brands. Order color samples, they usually send small cabinet doors and that's handy to take to the paint shop to figure out paint. Find a layout you like, not everything has to be a shaker cabinet.
2. Are you changing the layout of your kitchen? Figure out if you want to change plugs, move appliances (would mean plugs water and potentially gas would have to change) and if you want new light fixtures/new switch locations, can lights.
3. Will you need to paint your walls? Unless you're doing a rip and replace on existing cabinets the answer is probably yes.
4. Finding contractors is important. I decided to do a new kitchen layout with new windows, downstairs repaint and all new downstairs flooring. I found one contractor to do all the way up to cabinet install by taking walks in my neighborhood and asking for cards on houses that were being remodeled. A good GC will have crews to do all that work, but will charge an additional 10-20% vs you finding guys yourself. If you have realtor friends they might know some good guys to do some of this stuff, and some of the smaller house flipping folks will know good people too. The other part of this is order of operations, you need to get the right crew onsite at the right time to complete work. For instance mine is demo, rough in water and electrical, windows, cabinets, counters, paint, flooring, final electrical, appliance install, trim paint/carpentry. A GC will handle all that for you, that's what you're paying them for.
5. Build a plan with as much detail as possible so you can hand it out to all contractors. Make budgets, get multiple estimates and remember that the backlog of all home poo poo is 1-3 months so order early.
6. When you get going find a place for all your crap. I had originally planned on moving my kitchen and living room into the garage, but I forgot that the waiting to install cabinets had to occupy the same space. So now all my poo poo is in a pile in the middle of the living room and I'm cooking with a microwave, air fryer, toaster and fridge just shoved in the middle of a room. Don't be me, figure that out early.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Speaking of, the wife showed me this after we installed the new cabinets, and I agree I think I want one:
https://www.weathertech.com/sinkmat/

Just wish I could get one with the Jeep logo on it.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Mine is too, it's great

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Ugh I just spent $1000 on switches and plugs. drat house.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Slugworth posted:

Grover rereg spotted.

No that's not my probably. My problem is home assistant will be the death of me.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Should have run fiber

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Naw I did the same thing, but I used corrugated plastic from home depot under the deck, and then walled the sides in with leftover fence. When I re-do the deck in a year or two I'm going to replace the corrugated plastic with https://trexrainescape.com/ because I'll be taking the boards up anyways.

Panels

Fence (and chicken coop)

Railing

Its now my combination garden shed and lumber storage, as well as where I keep the chicken things. Can't really see it very well but I did add strips of 2x4 below the deck joists to angle the plastic down towards the door, and put up a gutter system to funnel it outside the shed.

Mustache Ride fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jan 16, 2023

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Tile adhesive down, tile starts today:

Mustache Ride fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Feb 7, 2023

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

StormDrain posted:

LOL at the sad corner fridge. I assume you have to move it around?

Yeah, that and a huge loving 1920s bar my father in law gave us have had to stay in the house and my tile guys will move it around. I'm out of space in my garage :(

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Progress

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

StormDrain posted:

There's an Easter egg in this pic for you Mustache Ride especially.

Stickers!

May your future be free of sheetrock dust on your counters my friend.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Hood vent took 4 hours to install. loving bullshit. (Didn't help I had to stop to take meetings so I could still be :airquote: working :airquote:)

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

I did KitchenAid in my whole remodel because my brother has a whirlpool insider account that gave me 20% off all purchases. So vent hood, range/oven combo, microwave, fridge and wine cooler all KitchenAid came out to about $8k. Only thing I don't like about it is the KitchenAid badge they plastered on everything but oh well. The products are great and I have no complaints.

Issue with the vent hood was that I didn't realize that I had brick on the other side of the wall, which was a pain in the rear end to work with, mostly. Ended up wheel of deathing the brick to a semi circular shape and putting a big rear end aluminum flapper on the other side, anchoring it with concrete screws, mortar and spray foam inside the house around the hole. Other than that it was easy to install, they gave me a template for the mounting holes, and I went to home depot (2 times, granted) to get 6" ducting, elbows, aluminum flapper and materials.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Mmmmm backsplash grout

Anybody wanna come install crown on my cabinets? I don't wanna

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

poo poo I've been wondering that for 4 years

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

brugroffil posted:

Design choice question for both recently posted range hoods: why stop the backsplash at the hood rather than go to the ceiling? Just trying to figure out what our end design is going to look like as we start our kitchen

Didn't want to pay for it and also didn't want to have to deal with the cabinet crown and didn't want to have to mount the vent hood to tile.

3 no's vs it looking good (maybe) means it wasn't worth it.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

I've got one as well and have painted trim and doors with it. Hardest thing is cleaning it honestly.

Also a pretty successful day.

Edit: find the thing I'm still not doing myself

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

I was looking for a pic but I can't find one, but when spraying doors I've screwed a big piece of plywood or 2 2x6s to the bottom, stood them up on a tarp on the driveway and had at it. You can walk around the door easily enough and get all sides.

It's hard to tell if that's a solid core door, but if it is and you like the style, it may be worth sanding and doing a coat of kilz and 2 coats of white that matches the trim.

Mustache Ride fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Feb 19, 2023

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

The crown. gently caress crown, I refuse. Gotta find a sucker to install it for me.

Light over sink is another can, plug next to stove has been there since the house was built and it's way too much trouble to move it for no gain.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

actionjackson posted:

since colors obviously never are accurate on a screen, what is the wall and cabinet color?

Wall is generic cream
Cabinets are a very blueish green called "Haze" by the cabinet company. It looks green in the picture, but very blue in the light.
Floor is a dark grey

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

I just adore trim work.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Hunter

Edit: specifically the expensive premium ones. The cheap ones are trash

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

I was shopping specifically for fans that didn't have remotes because I hate remotes. Bought 3 Hunter Jettys and they've been fantastic.

Big rear end Fans also makes some residential stuff now that I've put outside and they look and work great: https://bigassfans.com/residential/

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

You cover the edges with baseboard, and between rooms with thresholds: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Lifeproof-Hickory-Natural-1-4-in-Thick-x-1-3-8-in-Wide-x-94-1-2-in-Length-Vinyl-T-Molding-HLVT3026TM/206400133

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah you're going to run into problems if you want to change baseboards out in the future because now they'll be hard to remove. I did a 1x4 removing the crappy thin baseboard and it more than covered any lovely gaps, and after paint and caulking up the nail holes it looks pretty good.

Please excuse my dirty rear end floor.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Oak, Cherry and Maple are the three big wood species, really just need to get what looks the best to you. White oak is my usual suggestion. It's cheap, it's the most commonly found so all the installers know it and I think the grain looks the prettiest.

Hardest part of hardwood floor installation is picking the stain.

Problem with removing walls is it's really hard to patch floors that have half a cut piece because they were right up next to a wall. Honestly I wouldn't even bother, do the walls first. You'll have to resand and stain everything after a patch too.

Mustache Ride fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Mar 19, 2023

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

chutwig posted:

So, what should I do?

Motronic posted:

Nothing.

And say "it was like this when I bought the place" if anyone asks about any of it.

:emptyquote:

gently caress permits in general. I only get one when I have a dumpster sit in the driveway for weeks and the city permit office is nosy.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

That's fair, I just think it's unreasonable to need a permit to remove a wall or reroute a plug or put in can lights. All of which I can do myself and know that what I'm doing is structurally sound and more than up to any master electricians standards, but because I don't have a license I have to hire someone with one to get it inspected?

Also doesn't help that the City of Austin is trying to make me go balls deep with permits for kitchen remodel, gently caress that.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Austin does not.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

My PO has my first name so my wife calls me it all the time. It's annoying.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

You need to call them and ask if they can do custom sizes. They may not be able to for those in store pieces.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

H110Hawk posted:

Dishwashers are fragile, very cube shaped, and otherwise dislike being banged around. Basically the opposite of a snowblower which gets you more length than height.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ytmEfNS3ZA

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

I'd suggest blocking between the joists where you want the posts with a 2x8 or 10 or 12 or whatever on top that is flush with the top of the joist in the areas where you want to screw your railing posts to.

Then drill through the deck board and into the flush blocking with big rear end lag bolts to secure them.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

You will pay up to $30/sqft to remove the mold, and then more on top to replace everything they took out just to make it liveable. Unless you either plan that in to the purchase cost and have another place to live during the effort it's not worth it.

The other worry is they start the removal and find knob and tube and lead pipes and asbestos and whoops now the house is double or triple the price.

I'd pass on the dank house.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Barn doors!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

It's for the front office whose doors will stay open 100% of the time. I would never put them on a bedroom or bathroom or closet door, that's stupid