Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

I'm at 85 and I've never taken a film class.

Out of the all the silent comedy's is there a best one to start with or should I just pick one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

As far as this one goes, I'm glad you can't do a checklist because it would be embarassing how many of these I've seen. Top 200? Every single one.

Yeah I gave up after the first 100 but I'm sure my viewing % is much higher since I was already at 99. Some laughably bad stuff in the top 100 though, geez.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

DeimosRising posted:

Yeah I gave up after the first 100 but I'm sure my viewing % is much higher since I was already at 99. Some laughably bad stuff in the top 100 though, geez.

What would you say shouldn't be in that top 100?

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Suplex Liberace posted:

I'm at 85 and I've never taken a film class.

Out of the all the silent comedy's is there a best one to start with or should I just pick one.

Every one on there is great (I still need to see The Circus). My personal favorites are The General, Sherlock Jr, and The Gold Rush.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

What would you say shouldn't be in that top 100?

I mean given the way the list is compiled you can't really argue with it, but Cabin in the Woods, Session 9, and The Conjuring are definitely not among the best 100 horror movies ever. The former two outright suck. Also Saw.

DeimosRising fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Dec 1, 2016

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

DeimosRising posted:

I mean given the way the list is compiled you can't really argue with it, but Cabin in the Woods, Session 9, and The Conjuring are definitely not among the best 100 horror movies ever. The former two outright suck.

Haha, fair enough. I might actually go through this, it's quicker to just note the ones I haven't seen. I'm already noting some I never even heard of.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Haha, fair enough. I might actually go through this, it's quicker to just note the ones I haven't seen. I'm already noting some I never even heard of.

Such as? I would be more likely to go through it if there was just a straight list instead of multiple pages with blurbs.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011

Either this list changed more than I realized or I have seen way more movies over the past five years.

EDIT: I'm at 489, yet somehow I haven't seen 8 1/2. I've seen Woody Allen parody 8 1/2 but not the actual film.

Once you have seen 8 1/2, watch the Iranian 8 1/2, "Hamoun". It's really under rated and not on this list sadly.

On topic, saw "A Matter of Life and Death". Beautiful camera work and lighting, with some awesome sets (that staircase) and matte paintings.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

DeimosRising posted:

Such as? I would be more likely to go through it if there was just a straight list instead of multiple pages with blurbs.

Hanyo, The Reptile, Day Of The Woman, Viy, to name a few.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Hanyo, The Reptile, Day Of The Woman, Viy, to name a few.

Viy is great, The Reptile I think is a hammer joint I haven't seen. If Hanyo is the 1960 version of the housemaid then I recorded it off of TCM sometime in the last few weeks and haven't watched it. I got nothing on Day of the Woman.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Feelin like we should take this to the horror thread cause I'm fascinated with this list and it's turning into a derail.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Feelin like we should take this to the horror thread cause I'm fascinated with this list and it's turning into a derail.

Works for me. Google just turns up Day of the Woman as an alternate title for I Spit on Your Grave

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Oh, then, seen it, hated it, loved the Joe Bob Briggs commentary.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I watched Blood Simple (#637) today, and TBH I was a bit underwhelmed. It's beautifully shot, edited, and scored but it never really sucked me in and just barely held my attention most of the time. I guess I just didn't connect with it?

It's also hard to judge it as a debut and not as part of the larger body of Coen Bros works. It's all rougher versions of things they'd perfect over the years, and that's colored my opinion even though I'm trying to judge it on its own merits.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

I think Vertigo is a perfectly fine movie, and has great technical details, but I can't for the life of me understand the hype it gets among film fans. Citizen Kane should have its rightful place on top.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Greed - Erich von Stroheim, 1924

I watched the 4 hour reconstructed version. I've heard people say this version is less of a movie than the traditional 2 hour cut, intended more as an academic companion piece, or simply a way to catch a glimpse of von Stroheim's true vision. I disagree with these assessments. This was very much a complete, cohesive movie watching experience. The still photos blended in with the rest quite well. In fact, thinking back on the movie, which parts were motion and which were static isn't immediately obvious in my recollection. It all gelled together seamlessly enough.

The depiction of the way money can strip away ones humanity was never overbearing or trite. Von Stroheim eases us in to the characters, giving them time to feel authentic, and their plights believable. Despite its length, I was hooked the whole way through. I began to really care about these people. I've seen a lot of silent movies, and I can confidently say that this is the one that has most effected me on an emotional level. Even Murnau's Sunrise, as evocative as it is, didn't hit me like Greed did. It pulled me in deep.

For many years I've cited The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari as my favorite silent, but I think it just got dethroned. I loved this movie. It's an absolute masterpiece.

TSPDT count: 387/1000

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I watched Blood Simple (#637) today, and TBH I was a bit underwhelmed. It's beautifully shot, edited, and scored but it never really sucked me in and just barely held my attention most of the time. I guess I just didn't connect with it?

It's also hard to judge it as a debut and not as part of the larger body of Coen Bros works. It's all rougher versions of things they'd perfect over the years, and that's colored my opinion even though I'm trying to judge it on its own merits.
I have a feeling I'd have liked Blood Simple a lot more if I hadn't seen No Country For Old Men first.

zandert33 posted:

I think Vertigo is a perfectly fine movie, and has great technical details, but I can't for the life of me understand the hype it gets among film fans. Citizen Kane should have its rightful place on top.
While I do think Kane is a little better, Vertigo has plenty going for it. It's beautifully shot, filled to the brim with evocative visuals and scenes, delightfully moodier than most of Hitchcock's other works, Jimmy Stewart's darker side in full swing, and is one of the most thematically substantive films any of the people involved with it ever made.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

In a Lonely Place - I've never seen Bogart disappoint, but this is a noir in a class by itself. (#275)
Mulholland Dr. - I'm going to have to watch it again, but Lynch always is able to create a unique dream-like atmosphere with his films. (#66)

399/1000

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Rio Bravo - Howard Hawkes, 1959

An immensely watchable film. The vivid technicolor. The gorgeous widescreen frame. The stunningly sexy Angie Dickinson. And most importantly, the engrossing interaction between likable characters. There's no single standout performance - they all compliment each other well. John Wayne, despite playing "John Wayne", does a nice job. Martin, with his twitchy mannerisms, is the most complex and interesting character. Nelson isn't a fantastic actor, but he fills an important presence here. Brennan hits his comic tones just right, never crossing into annoying territory. And Dickinson is perfect (and despite my earlier comment, she's much more than mere eye candy).

The script is loose and fun, but always gripping. Hawke's direction isn't flashy, but still controlled and immersive. And the music, including the diegetic interludes, always hits the right mood. This isn't a particularly deep film, neither in plot nor theme. What it is instead is a perfectly crafted piece of Hollywood entertainment.

TSPDT count: 388/1000

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

The Treasure of the Sierra Madre - 1948. I have not seen much Bogart but this film showed my why he's held in such high regard. Wonderful performances out of the other 2 leads but Bogart was on fire. Was nice to see the o.g stinkin' badges scene.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Suplex Liberace posted:

The Treasure of the Sierra Madre - 1948. I have not seen much Bogart but this film showed my why he's held in such high regard. Wonderful performances out of the other 2 leads but Bogart was on fire. Was nice to see the o.g stinkin' badges scene.

Bogart's best performance (that I've seen).

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

It was so good that im gonna just watch all the Bogart films on the list next.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I rolled my eyes when I sorted by length and saw a bunch of shorts. Then I watched Unsere Afrikareise and Meshes of the Afternoon and I'm already a big stupid wrong idiot and can't wait to really dig into the meat of this.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
I am a bit shocked that it has Enigma of Kaspar Hauser and not Stroszek. I feel that Stroszek is a much better film in all ways possible, and up there with some of Herzog's best

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

bobkatt013 posted:

I am a bit shocked that it has Enigma of Kaspar Hauser and not Stroszek. I feel that Stroszek is a much better film in all ways possible, and up there with some of Herzog's best

Kaspar Hauser is my favorite Herzog, so it works for me :)

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Any advice as to what in the "abnormally long" time range (let's say over 3.5 hours) is worth dabbling in and which isn't worth the commitment?

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.

weekly font posted:

Any advice as to what in the "abnormally long" time range (let's say over 3.5 hours) is worth dabbling in and which isn't worth the commitment?

If you haven't seen Fanny & Alexander, you need to get on that right now.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

weekly font posted:

Satantango (7+ hours) is one of the best movies ever made.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

weekly font posted:

I rolled my eyes when I sorted by length and saw a bunch of shorts. Then I watched Unsere Afrikareise and Meshes of the Afternoon and I'm already a big stupid wrong idiot and can't wait to really dig into the meat of this.

:getin: Embrace the shorts. Check out Outer Space by Tscherkassky, it's something else. The House Is Black and Night and Fog are both stunning too, and are very much of a piece in my memory. Finding poetry in the horrible.

weekly font posted:

Dekalog's totally worth it and is much more easily digestible than most of the others of that length because it's actually 10 separate hour-long films. All of them are good, at least half are great, and a couple are astonishing

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Three Colors: Red - Krzysztof Kieślowski, 1994

I watched Blue and White back to back about three years ago, but for some reason waited until now to finish off the trilogy. I regret the wait, because this is the best of the three. It's a deep, thought-provoking, beautiful movie. It's a romance movie unlike any other I've seen. It's delicate and nuanced, with fascinating things to say about fate and chance.

Ebert put it perfectly: "Seeing a movie like 'Red,' we are reminded that watching many commercial films is the cinematic equivalent of reading Dick and Jane. The mysteries of everyday life are so much deeper and more exciting than the contrivances of plots."

TSPDT count: 389/1000

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Allyn posted:

:getin: Embrace the shorts. Check out Outer Space by Tscherkassky, it's something else. The House Is Black and Night and Fog are both stunning too, and are very much of a piece in my memory. Finding poetry in the horrible.

La Jetee blew me away.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

weekly font posted:

Several of these are some of my favorite films of all time.

La Commune, Grin Without A Cat, Hitler Ein Film Aus Deustchland, Napoleon and Satantango are the ones I'd recommend. Also, I noticed something shocking - none of the Human Condition films are on there!

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

weekly font posted:

All the ones I've seen (Dekalog, Fanny and Alexander, La Commune, Satantango, Napoleon off the top of my head) are well worth the time commitment.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

weekly font posted:

La Jetee blew me away.
La Jetee loving owns. It's the best Powerpoint presentation ever made.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Meshes of the Afternoon - Maya Deren and Alexander Hammid, 1943

Completely nonsensical but filled with some really cool visual tricks. It feels very modern. This is apparently Lynch's inspiration for Lost Highway and it shows. Pretty cool.

TSPDT count: 390/1000

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Spatulater bro! posted:

Three Colors: Red - Krzysztof Kieślowski, 1994

I watched Blue and White back to back about three years ago, but for some reason waited until now to finish off the trilogy. I regret the wait, because this is the best of the three. It's a deep, thought-provoking, beautiful movie. It's a romance movie unlike any other I've seen. It's delicate and nuanced, with fascinating things to say about fate and chance.

Ebert put it perfectly: "Seeing a movie like 'Red,' we are reminded that watching many commercial films is the cinematic equivalent of reading Dick and Jane. The mysteries of everyday life are so much deeper and more exciting than the contrivances of plots."

TSPDT count: 389/1000

Ebert's later Three Colours review contains my favourite paragraph of his, so simply and completely encapsulates the mystical wonder behind why I adore Red:

quote:

I connect strongly with Kieslowski because I sometimes seek a whiff of transcendence by revisiting places from earlier years. I am thinking now of a cafe in Venice, a low cliff overlooking the sea near Donegal, a bookstore in Cape Town and Sir John Soane's breakfast room in London. I am drawn to them in the spirit of pilgrimage. No one else can see the shadows of my former and future visits there, or know how they are the touchstones of my mortality, but if some day as I approach the cafe, I see myself just getting up to leave, I will not be surprised to have missed myself by so little.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Spatulater bro! posted:

Meshes of the Afternoon - Maya Deren and Alexander Hammid, 1943

Completely nonsensical but filled with some really cool visual tricks. It feels very modern. This is apparently Lynch's inspiration for Lost Highway and it shows. Pretty cool.

TSPDT count: 390/1000

One of the best opening shots in all of cinema, too.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I saw the Three Colours trilogy about 6/7 years ago when I was at Uni and liked them but wasn't as good as watching films then so my reviews say dumb poo poo like "everything Binoche does in Blue is so inscrutable!" etc. Finally rewatched them at a 35mm screening last month and man....they are goddamn masterpieces. White maybe not as much, but Blue and Red are easily all-time favourites for me.

Been meaning to watch Meshes for a while as I've been considering rewatching Inland Empire and that's supposedly the closest reference point.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Allyn posted:

Ebert's later Three Colours review contains my favourite paragraph of his, so simply and completely encapsulates the mystical wonder behind why I adore Red:

Yeah that's awesome. Ebert was first and foremost a brilliant writer. That he understood film like no other was icing on the cake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Escobarbarian posted:

I saw the Three Colours trilogy about 6/7 years ago when I was at Uni and liked them but wasn't as good as watching films then so my reviews say dumb poo poo like "everything Binoche does in Blue is so inscrutable!" etc. Finally rewatched them at a 35mm screening last month and man....they are goddamn masterpieces. White maybe not as much, but Blue and Red are easily all-time favourites for me.

They really are brilliant movies. Being unable to predict what exactly the characters are thinking or are about to do is what makes the movies so engaging to me.

• Locked thread