Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Covok posted:

This is going to sound odd and I'm not an animator and never animated, but I always thought scenes like that were the hardest (or at least hard) thing to animate. By that I mean scenes where the imaginary camera revolves around a target so you slowly see it from different sides. It just seems that you would need more frames to make that look fluid than any other type of motion.

That sort of thing IS hard, which is why when you see modern animation "cheat" and use 3D models, it's often when they're doing a gratuitous camera spin or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I know it'll never happen but I want to Frieza to somehow join the roster of former villains Goku has befriended. Just add "genocidal space dictator" to the list of people who've attempted/succeeded at killing lots of people on Earth and just become buddies later.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Didn't Piccolo very nearly kill everyone at the tournament if it weren't for Goku's intervention?

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Teach Kale and Caulifla the fusion dance TIA.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Kanos posted:

Toppo meeting Freeza would either make him realize that he's read things wrong and that Goku is what passes for a good guy in U7, or it would push him over the edge into believing that U7 is entirely a benighted sphincter of evil.

Or both.

Well didn't someone have a discussion about "Hey did you hear that that Goku guy is bringing a dude named Frieza with him to the tournament? Word is he's like Double-Hitler. Goku must be a real monster if he's gonna team up with him." so It's probably the latter, in that Goku looks even worse to the other universes by association.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Okay, I got it. Frieza learned about how fusion works. He's like "Hey Frost, I'll help your team win, and we fuse so that we're one person so they can't erase me when U7 loses. Then we'll just go gently caress up your universe for funsies."

Hire me Toei.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

RaspberryCommie posted:

Piccolo also just calls him Son without any honorifics. Although that'd likely be even harder to localize I imagine.

I now wish there was a :cmon: with Piccolo's face.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I'm glad I'm not the only one skeeved out by that scene. But it feels like everyone forgot this is an anime and in anime lack of regard for things like "consent" and "boundaries" is a charming "oh you!" character trait and not, y'know, a crime.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Didn't Vegeta get SSB first because he started training with Whis first or am I misremembering?

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

It's funny how much they've tried to walk it back and say "N-no, Goku didn't doom trillions of people! They were gonna delete some universes anyway, Goku just prompted them to make the decision via tournament instead of randomly!" but Goku still looks like kind of a bastard right now.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Actual question: Has Jiren even spoke yet? His MO seems to be eternally staring silently at the poo poo going on and only occasionally stepping in to do one move to show he's a badass before going back to doing nothing.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Momomo posted:

The thing that strikes me the most about Goku is that he didn't show a single bit of concern about 11 other universes being wiped from existence when he first found out about the tournament, he was just excited to fight.

Well there's a ton of tone whiplash about that. Characters are out there having fun, and being good sports about the tournament but then a universe gets eliminated and the drama music starts playing and everyone starts looking really tense. Then its back to "Let's have good times fun fights!"

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Kashuno posted:

yeah for a universe with the second lowest power level, they sure are stomping on literally everyone

Yeah but wasn't that supposed to be like "average power level" for their universe? So isn't it more that Goku and co. are extreme outliers for U7 standards?

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Shocker that the universe that has a lazy, petulant god of destruction that blows planets up essentially at random is ranked pretty low. :v:

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Skinty McEdger posted:

Goku can't even play one dimensional chess.

How the gently caress would you play one dimensional chess? I don't think I could either.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

The whole power level thing comes up all the time because it's portrayed really inconsistently. Every time someone gets a new power up everyone is in awe and sometimes literally blown away by how powerful they are. Villains get new transformations and then proceed to show off how they're so cool that they can literally just take punches full to the face without flinching like Cell. Then another time they show a character defeating a much stronger opponent through trickery and technique over raw strength. Like, being a super cool martial artists is rad and all but what are you going to do to someone who can flick a finger and level multiple city blocks and can no-sell anything you throw at them. Unless the plot says you should.

I think the lesson to take away is that it's anime, don't worry about it too much.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I dunno how Frieza was the last time power levels really mattered. I mean it was the one time where they REALLY focused hard on it with "I'm only using 1% of my full power!" over and over again, and literally just saying people's levels a bunch. But like, Cell kept getting new forms until the only way he could be beaten was by having Gohan power up by getting mad. I'll give you Buu I guess though.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I like watching anime punchmans. Sometimes with fists. Often with lasers.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Better idea: Blue Goku (AKA Bloku) fuses with Gold Frieza (AKA Golza) fuse and form Green Blokolza, who then fight the fused Zen-ohs (Zenzen-oh-oh)

Jiren defeats all of them at the same time with one punch and says nothing the entire time.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I liked LSSJ (the L stands for lesbian)

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Kashuno posted:

why does Kale turn white when she powers up

I assumed it's just her fuckin ki glow brightening her features.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Broly is a terrible character with some good scenes of him just being one of the most crushingly overpowered villains the series ever produced to the point where at the end they realized they had no idea how anyone was actually going to beat him so they pulled the dumbest poo poo out of their asses. Like for people who like no-sell villains, Broly is your dude. He's fun, and completely stupid and I love my big, dumb green son.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

a cartoon duck posted:

Is that even the case when basically every Dragon Ball villain since Radditz overpowered the protagonists and was only ever beaten by a bullshit powerup, a desperation attack, or both?

Yeah, because even when like, Frieza was hot poo poo, people landed hits on him that made him flinch. Gohan slapped him around a little before he just turned it around on them, and Piccolo was kicking his poo poo before he transformed. Like they show villains like going "ow you hit me in my face" before they decide to step up their game and crush the opposition. Broly did not give a single gently caress the entire movie. He's also among few villains that they actually actively team up against instead of going one on one, and he just shrugs it off the entire time. He's just kind of the one time they went full nonsense overpowered villain where he is just a force of nature that is completely untouchable until they decide he's touchable.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Can Goku go die again so that he can just train in the afterlife some more and let everyone else have fun.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

P-Mack posted:

That would be incredibly stupid and make Goku out to be a huge idiot rear end in a top hat to everyone but especially his son.

So it's the most perfectly Dragon Ball idea yet, good job!

I mean he basically did exactly that to Cell. Concede, heal him, and tell Gohan to clean up his mess.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

As in turns out when you're dealing with a constant escalation of characters wielding earthshaking power it becomes really really difficult to illustrate the growth at a point without going full Gurren Lagann and just going absurd galactic scale.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I want the saiyan girls to be the ones who take frieza out. It just seems fair. He's been a big jerk to the universe 6 saiyans. (Not that I give a gently caress about Cabba screw him.)

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Man, I only just put together than fully like half of the U7 team are mass murderers.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

SirKibbles posted:

Piccolo jr has mass murdered no people I can remember so Frieza, Vegeta really . Remember 17 & 18 never actually killed anyone in the this timeline.

The whooshing noise you hear is the joke using instant transmission over your head.

Didn't Piccolo kill some people as a kid or something? And I'm counting attempted murder because he was straight up prepared to blow up a ton of people had Goku not intervened. 17 and 18 are mass murderers in a different timeline and basically only didn't because Cell interrupted them so I'm also counting that. Like, if you were about to go blow poo poo up and kill countless people but just got distracted I think it still counts.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Goten and Trunks went Super Saiyan without instruction as tiny baby children for no reason. That invalidates any complaint about Caulifla/Kale/Cabba

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Caulifla is literally girl Goku with a slightly more abrasive attitude. She goes around "hey let's fight I'm gonna beat you up" and everyone gets really bent out of shape.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I'm also deeply afraid of being beat up by a girl.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Goku likes eating lots of food too.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

Goku has black hair, it's like they're twins guys.

No, she has gold hair and that's why people are upset.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

For saiyans, beating the tar out of each other is how you show you love them.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Mogomra posted:

Good lord, calm down nerds.

I honestly don't see a lot of people being genuinely critical of these two. Did not mean to generate so much butthurt.

The only thing I'm butthurt about is the fact you unironically used the word butthurt.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Kale is not only a better character, but is cooler than Broly.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

graham cracker posted:

Don't bring Cooler into this!!

Yeah, Cooler sucks, he can stay where we left him.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Didn't they already establish that Zeno went and deleted tons of universes before this before whittling it down to 12 and leaving it for a while? Like, as goofy and fun as Dragon Ball Super has been in general the cosmology has gotten darker and more sinister since Z. Like, we started with just Beerus being an arbitrary and petulant destroyer of worlds who would blow up a planet because he stubbed his toe there once, and had no problems with just bullying people under threat of genocide, and he's a protagonist now. Now we just have an arbitrary and fickle child god that likes to delete things when they bore him. The Dragon Ball universe has gotten fuckin grim the higher up in the chain you go.

I like it and look forward to Frieza's attempted coup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Momomo posted:

Vegeta killed innocent people onscreen and later gloated about it and he's still a main character. Sure Beerus is doing it on a bigger scale, but he's definitely less personal with it.

Well sure but Vegeta at least kinda had a character arc about becoming a better person. Beerus is still pretty much unchanged, he just happens to like Earth/Goku/Food enough to tolerate its existence.