Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Welcome goonlings to the Awful Book of the Month!
In this thread, we choose one work of literature absolute crap and read/discuss it over a month. If you have any suggestions of books, choose something that will be appreciated by many people, and has many avenues of discussion. We'd also appreciate if it were a work of literature complete drivel that is easily located from a local library or book shop, as opposed to ordering something second hand off the internet and missing out on a week's worth of reading. Better yet, books available on e-readers.

Resources:

Project Gutenberg - http://www.gutenberg.org

- A database of over 17000 books available online. If you can suggest books from here, that'd be the best.

SparkNotes - http://www.sparknotes.com/

- A very helpful Cliffnotes-esque site, but much better, in my opinion. If you happen to come in late and need to catch-up, you can get great character/chapter/plot summaries here.

:siren: For recommendations on future material, suggestions on how to improve the club, or just a general rant, feel free to PM me. :siren:

Past Books of the Month

[for BOTM before 2014, refer to archives]

2014:
January: Ursula K. LeGuin - The Left Hand of Darkness
February: Mikhail Bulgalov - Master & Margarita
March: Richard P. Feynman -- Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman!
April: James Joyce -- Dubliners
May: Gabriel Garcia Marquez -- 100 Years of Solitude
June: Howard Zinn -- A People's History of the United States
July: Mary Renault -- The Last of the Wine
August: Barbara Tuchtman -- The Guns of August
September: Jane Austen -- Pride and Prejudice
October: Roger Zelazny -- A Night in the Lonesome October
November: John Gardner -- Grendel
December: Christopher Moore -- The Stupidest Angel

2015:
January: Italo Calvino -- Invisible Cities
February: Karl Ove Knausgaard -- My Struggle: Book 1.
March: Knut Hamsun -- Hunger
April: Liu Cixin -- 三体 ( The Three-Body Problem)
May: John Steinbeck -- Cannery Row
June: Truman Capote -- In Cold Blood
(Hiatus)
August: Ta-Nehisi Coates -- Between the World and Me
September: Wilkie Collins -- The Moonstone
October:Seth Dickinson -- The Traitor Baru Cormorant
November:Svetlana Alexievich -- Voices from Chernobyl
December: Michael Chabon -- Gentlemen of the Road

2016:
January: Three Men in a Boat (To say nothing of the Dog!) by Jerome K. Jerome
February:The March Up Country (The Anabasis) of Xenophon
March: The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco
April: Plain Tales from the Hills by Rudyard Kipling
May: Temple of the Golden Pavilion by Yukio Mishima
June:The Vegetarian by Han Kang
July:Lud-in-the-Mist by Hope Mirrlees
August: Pale Fire by Vladimir Nabokov
September:Siddhartha by Herman Hesse
October:Right Ho, Jeeves by P.G. Wodehouse
November:Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain
December: It Can't Happen Here by Sinclair Lewis

2017:
January: Mother Night by Kurt Vonnegut
February: The Plague by Albert Camus
March: The Dispossessed by Ursula K. LeGuin
April: The Conference of the Birds (مقامات الطیور) by Farid ud-Din Attar
May: I, Claudius by Robert Graves
June: Salt: A World History by Mark Kurlansky
July: Ficcionies by Jorge Luis Borges
August: My Life and Hard Times by James Thurber
September: The Peregrine by J.A. Baker

Current:

Blackwater Vol. I: The Flood by Michael McDowell

Book available here:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0755KSSVD/ref=docs-os-doi_0

That's a link to the whole series for ten bucks; we're just reading the first unless people want to go further, which people should consider themselves free to do.

About the book:

quote:

You are now entering Perdido, Alabama. It’s a small town, just a short trip northeast of Mobile. There isn’t much to remark about it. People are neighborly, for the most part, and everybody seems to know everybody else’s business. Perdido has all the charms you might expect from a little Southern town in the early-to-mid 20th century, and of course that means it has the usual flaws, too. It helps, for example, if you’re white. It helps if you come from money. And, most importantly, it helps if you know what questions not to ask. Because like any small town, Perdido has its secrets.

It just so happens that those secrets involve river monsters.

Michael McDowell’s Blackwater is the story of Perdido, and it is the story of the Caskeys, Perdido’s most prominent family. Most of all, it is the story of how a river monster disguised herself as a woman and married into that family, eventually becoming its matriarch, and guiding its members to their varied fates, for good and for ill. It is one of the most striking and ambitious horror novels of the last fifty years, and until very recently it has languished in almost complete obscurity.

http://www.valancourtbooks.com/blackwater-1983.html

Mel Mudkiper posted:

So I am reading this book that was described to me as Faulkner with river-monsters and as the 100 Years of Solitude of Paperback Horror novels and I thought those were ridiculous statements so I found a copy and holy poo poo its actually Faulkner with river-monsters.

Runcible Cat posted:

It's a 6-volume series that's basically one of those Southern Gothic family sagas, with added kinda-Lovecraftian-Deep-Ones-except-rivers-I-guess. Innsmouth-on-the-Mississippi if Lovecraft had been a Southern writer and not an atrocious racist?

http://www.trashfiction.co.uk/blackwater.html

quote:

McDowell well understands Southern life: how the land and the rain and the flood stain lives, how familial ties can strangle and choke, how the black families still serve the white but maintain a newfound dignity, and how matriarchal power predominates, as seen in his other novels like The Amulet (1979) and The Elementals (1981). Telling much of his story at a grand remove, McDowell regales us in his unhurried prose with the history of the town, of the Caskey family and the sawmill, the lives of various non-family members, of the lengths to which some people will go to manipulate others in order to gain or regain power and respect and authority, the amassing of wealth and prestige so important to small, close-knit towns.

quote:

Michael McDowell wrote prolifically—his first published novel appeared in 1979, and he published four more, including the much-lauded haunted house novel The Elementals, before Blackwater appeared in 1983—but the books did not stay in print for very long. This doesn’t appear to have troubled him much. In an interview with Douglas E. Winter, contained in the book Faces of Fear, McDowell said, “I am a commercial writer and I’m proud of that. I am writing things to be put in the bookstore next month. I think it is a mistake to try to write for the ages.”

About the Author

Franchescanado posted:

Isn't that by the dude who wrote Beetlejuice?

It sounds cool.

Themes

Southern-ness!

quote:

The maenad loves—and furiously defends herself against love’s importunity. She loves—and kills. From the depths of sex, from the dark, primeval past of the battles of the sexes arise this splitting and bifurcating of the female soul, wherein woman first finds the wholeness and primal integrity of her feminine consciousness. So tragedy is born of the female essence’s assertion of itself as a dyad.
Vyacheslav Ivanov,
“The Essence of Tragedy”
(tr. Laurence Senelick)

"Pulp Fiction" and genre

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fztz_Vr9uHk

Pacing

This thing is long as balls so jump in and drown yourselves, then post about it.

Please bookmark the thread to encourage discussion.

References and Further Reading

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kelpie

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rusalka

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naiad

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kappa_(folklore)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maenad

Final Note:

Thanks, and I hope everyone enjoys the book!

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Oct 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Dope, I hope the length doesn't scare people off

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
So, to start this bad boy off, one thing I have found fascinating is that the supernatural is not being used so much for horror or suspense as much as it being used as a critique of the artifice of Southern manners. The first part (originally its own novel) is really more of a social satire than anything else. It seems to be built around the way traditions of Southern geniality were about burying your true self and keeping up a good public image. The only difference between Elinor and any of the other characters is simply that her buried self is different. James is a closeted gay man, Mary-Love is possessive and insecure, Oscar is feeble and indecisive, and they hide these deep character flaws in what is essentially a game of social masquerade. Elinor is not even particularly worse than anyone else, she is hiding like the rest of them. She just happens to be hiding that she is an immortal river monster who feeds on wayward children.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Well poo poo I'm doing this.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Got it, will start reading today. The BotM is what the ebook version calls the first part, right?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

anilEhilated posted:

Got it, will start reading today. The BotM is what the ebook version calls the first part, right?

I think so. I'm just diving into this too. We'll just keep going till we drown.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

They are pretty quick reads. Like ideally the first book is fine, and it only hits about 130 pages in the e-book. I am gonna try to power through the whole thing this week though so buckle the gently caress up

EDIT: Interesting note about the publication is that although BLACKWATER is six books in one volume, the books were published once a month over the course of the first half of 1983. So although they were published as six volumes, they were intended to be read relatively close together in time as a singular piece.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I think so. I'm just diving into this too. We'll just keep going till we drown.

uuuuuuuuuuuuuggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Oct 4, 2017

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Mel Mudkiper posted:

uuuuuuuuuuuuuggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

We all float down here!

Seriously though just a few pages in and I'm already intrigued. Floods are such a powerful story element in southern fiction -- Deliverance, O Brother Where Art Thou -- but usually floods close stories rather than opening them.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I'll bite. I just read McDowell's The Elementals and it seems he does a good job of making nature kind of horrifying.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I think the reason this book never caught on is because it was horrendously marketed.

It was marketed as a paperback horror novel in the golden age of the genre, and its nothing like a horror novel of the era.

So far I kind of reject the label horror overall. There has been one scene in the last 100 pages that might be seen as "horror" and it wasn't even written to be frightening but rather to sort of establish the "rules" of the universe.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I think the reason this book never caught on is because it was horrendously marketed.

It was marketed as a paperback horror novel in the golden age of the genre, and its nothing like a horror novel of the era.

So far I kind of reject the label horror overall. There has been one scene in the last 100 pages that might be seen as "horror" and it wasn't even written to be frightening but rather to sort of establish the "rules" of the universe.

I sort of found Elementals to be that way too, though it definitely had horror moments. It was so much more about the sense of place and how it was being taken over by nature and decay than being spoopy-scary though.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

MockingQuantum posted:

I sort of found Elementals to be that way too, though it definitely had horror moments. It was so much more about the sense of place and how it was being taken over by nature and decay than being spoopy-scary though.

Yeah, like keep in mind Michael McDowell had his books marketed side by side with stuff like

and you can see why he ended up so obscure

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Yeah it's not at all surprising, Elementals was very subtle and understated, and suggested a lot more than it said outright. It's unusual even in the context of most modern horror. And like Blackwater, it's kind of selling it short to call it "just" another horror novel.

I'm really excited to see what he does in Blackwater. (haven't started it yet, I have like two chapters left of Handmaid's Tale to finish)

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Yeah, I'd go with Southern Gothic, or even magical realism - the supernatural elements are so tied in with the whole milieu and culture.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Okay after Mel's praise in the lit thread I took the bait on this one. Very readable after the first few chapters but I need to get hooked soon or I don't know if I'll care enough to make the jump to Vol. 2.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Runcible Cat posted:

Yeah, I'd go with Southern Gothic, or even magical realism - the supernatural elements are so tied in with the whole milieu and culture.

I'm not sure I would go as far as magical realism if only because the supernatural forces are distinctly foreign to the characters. Absolutely Southern Gothic though.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
This guy gets the South. Little details like the fish not swimming out of their stream beds in the flood, or Elinor Dammert wrapping the silver in felt after polishing.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The further I get in, I the more I get the feeling Elinor isn't the only monster in town. Might be just getting the Southern locale or anything but when Mary-Love claims that she's against divorce but wouldn't mind Genevieve dying, it's... something. Hell, Elinor is one of the more sympathetic characters in there.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

What's interesting is that Genevieve isn't that bad of a person it seems. She is just honest instead of hiding behind pretense

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Finished book one and I have to admit I am a bit perplexed as to what exactly are the boundaries of what Elinor can do.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
ugh damnit HA i didn't think you'd actually take mel up on this suggestion and now i need to buy and read this drat thing

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Mel Mudkiper posted:

So, to start this bad boy off, one thing I have found fascinating is that the supernatural is not being used so much for horror or suspense as much as it being used as a critique of the artifice of Southern manners. The first part (originally its own novel) is really more of a social satire than anything else. It seems to be built around the way traditions of Southern geniality were about burying your true self and keeping up a good public image. The only difference between Elinor and any of the other characters is simply that her buried self is different. James is a closeted gay man, Mary-Love is possessive and insecure, Oscar is feeble and indecisive, and they hide these deep character flaws in what is essentially a game of social masquerade. Elinor is not even particularly worse than anyone else, she is hiding like the rest of them. She just happens to be hiding that she is an immortal river monster who feeds on wayward children.

I'm at about 16% on the kindle version and they're dividing up the jewels and one thing I'm really enjoying is how it's mixing this with the horror artifice of "buy in" -- people are complicit, they accept these evils by choosing not to ask questions because not asking gets them what they want too. It's like the opening third of Psycho everyone forgets, where she steals the money and runs and brings the evil on herself.

chernobyl kinsman posted:

ugh damnit HA i didn't think you'd actually take mel up on this suggestion and now i need to buy and read this drat thing

That's how I roll and how I troll

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Finished book one and I have to admit I am a bit perplexed as to what exactly are the boundaries of what Elinor can do.
Right? I'm starting to think the most malevolent force in town is social convention. It's like the Genevieve situation I mentioned earlier: morals replaced by what is and is not seemly and proper. Elinor may be a monster but she seems completely unwilling to break decorum.

I guess it's too early but I'm really curious about her motivations. I figure she brought the flood on and given her prophecy there won't be any more floods as long as she's alive (and the town will be washed from the face of the Earth right after which seems rather obvious foreshadowing), but what does she get out of it? Human comfort, sense of community? Children?
Guess what really irks me is why would a lake monster want to settle in a town, even if she is some kind of embodiment of the river and can't move away from it.

e: Sorry if banal, I'm just a genre fiction pleb.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Oct 6, 2017

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

No, it is an interesting question. I do wonder the same thing.

I find it very interesting that the ending to part 1 is genuinely the most horrifying part of the story so far and yet it has absolutely nothing at all to do with the supernatural

I also loved the image of Genevieve's head staying attached to the wooden pole as the driver continues on

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

anilEhilated posted:

Right? I'm starting to think the most malevolent force in town is social convention.

Welcome to the South.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
Just popping in here to say I read Blackwater a couple of years ago in its entirety and it owns. McDowell owned.

Years later and certain scenes still pop into my head from time to time.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'm about 60% in and it's reminding me more of One Hundred Years of Solitude than Faulkner, althugh more in scope than in style; it's turned from interpersonal drama to a community facing new challenges brought by the outside world, with the rivers standing in for the land. Sometimes it's an explicit sacrifice like with the kid Elinor kills and buries in the leevee, sometimes it's Elinor's advice bringing prosperity to the town by seeing WW2 coming; either way, it's riches built on murder even if the characters themselves are blissfully unaware of the fact. Well, that and using kids as a commodity even among the human townsfolk.

I find it kind of interesting that while Elinor's motivations and thoughs are still a mystery for the most part, we get a sort of a re-introduction into what her deal is with Frances and the occassional remark about "her family", all in all it makes one wonder just how many of them are supposed to be around. Which probably won't get answered. Thing is, with Frances especially you can see they are really human, just with this tiny murderous quirk. I'd still maintain Mary-Love was a bigger monster than Elinor...

Oh, yeah, another thing I've noted: I'm no expert on that period or area but I'd imagine two women running a farm together would generate quite a bit more outrage than it did in the book.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Oct 9, 2017

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Khizan posted:

Welcome to the South.

I honestly didn't think people were still writing this kind of Southern fiction. Which may still be somewhat true since the 1980's were a long time ago now, but the type of South this guy is writing about is the depression-era deep south, the sedate subtle South, not like Pat Conroy style "Boomers in Seersucker" type stuff that seems written for Hollywood adaptation, or (god forbid) the wallowy touristy menopause lit of people like Dorothea Benton Frank. Most successful southern lit today seems to . . . crank up the technicolor to 11, as it were. This is written in sepia.

anilEhilated posted:

Oh, yeah, another thing I've noted: I'm no expert on that period or area but I'd imagine two women running a farm together would generate quite a bit more outrage than it did in the book.

I'm at the end of the first book but, no, I suspect he gets this right. Gay people have always been around and as long as you were 1) white, 2) well-off, 3) local, and 4) technically closeted, there would have been a level of acceptance.

From googling this question though I found this listicle which actually looks interesting : https://www.autostraddle.com/7-must-read-books-on-queer-history-and-identity-in-the-south-327102/

You can find the "Sage Conversation" short story here: http://docsouth.unc.edu/southlit/longstreet/georgia.html

in relevant part:

quote:

"The strangest match," said Ned, resuming the conversation with a parson's gravity, "that ever I heard of, was that of George Scott and David Snow: two most excellent men, who became so much attached to each other that they actually got married - "

"The lackaday!" exclaimed one of the ladies.

"And was it really a fact?" inquired another.

"Oh, yes, ma'am," continued Ned; "I knew them very well, and often went to their house; and no people could have lived happier or managed better than they did. And they raised a lovely parcel of children; as fine a set as I ever saw, except their youngest son, Billy: he was a little wild, but, upon the whole, a right clever boy himself. Come, friend Baldwin, we're setting up too late for travellers." So saying, Ned moved to the shed room, and I followed him.

The ladies were left in silent amazement, and Ned, suspecting, doubtless, that they were listening for a laugh from our chamber as we entered it, continued the

Page 189
subject with unabated gravity, thus: "You knew those two men, didn't you?"

"Where did they live!" inquired I, not a little disposed to humour him.

"Why, they lived down there, on Cedar Creek, close by Jacob Denman's. Oh, I'll tell you who their daughter Nancy married: she married John Clarke; you knew him very well."

"Oh, yes," said I, "I knew John Clarke very well. His wife was a most excellent woman."

"Well, the boys were just as clever, for boys, as she was for a girl, except Bill; and I never heard anything very bad of him, unless it was his laughing in church; that put me more out of conceit of him than anything I ever knew of him. - Now, Baldwin, when I go to bed, I go to bed to sleep, and not to talk; and therefore, from the time my head touches the pillow, there must be no more talking. Besides, we must take an early start to-morrow, and I'm tired." So saying, he hopped into his bed, and I obeyed his injunctions.

. . . .

Mrs. Barney. Didn't that man say them was two men that got married to one another?

Page 190
Mrs. Shad. It seemed to me so.

Mrs. Reed. Why, to be sure he did. I know he said so; for he said what their names was.

Mrs. B. Well, in the name o' sense, what did the man mean by saying they raised a fine parcel of children?

Mrs. R. Why, bless your heart and soul, honey! that's what I've been thinkin' about. It seems mighty curious to me some how or other. I can't study it out, no how.

Mrs. S. The man must be jokin', certainly.

Mrs. R. No, he wasn't jokin'; for I looked at him, and he was just as much in yearnest as anybody I ever seed; and besides, no Christian man would tell such a story in that solemn way. And didn't you hear that other man say he knew their da'ter Nancy?

Mrs. S. But, la messy! Mis' Reed, it can't be so. It doesn't stand to reason; don't you know it don't?

Mrs. R. Well, I wouldn't think so; but it's hard for me somehow to dispute a Christian man's word.

Mrs. B. I've been thinking the thing all over in my mind, and I reckon - now I don't say it is so, for I don't know nothing at all about it - but I reckon that one of them men was a women dress'd in men's clothes; for I've often hearn o' women doin' them things, and following their true-love to the wars, and bein' a waitin'-boy to 'em, and all sich.

Mrs. S. Well, maybe it's some how in that way; but, la me! 'twould o' been obliged to been found out; don't you know it would? Only think how many children she had. Now it stands to reason, that at some time or other it must have been found out.

Mrs. R. Well, I'm an old woman any how, and I reckon the good man won't mind what an old woman says to him; so, bless the Lord, if I live to see the morning, I'll ask him about it.

. . ..

he next morning, when we rose from our beds, we found the good ladies sitting round the fire just as I left them, for they rose long before us.

Mrs. Barney was just in the act of ejaculating, "And brother Smith married Mournin' - " when she was interrupted by our entry into the dining-room. We were hardly seated before Mrs. Reed began to verify her promise. "Mr. -," said she to Ned, "didn't you say last night that them was two men that got married to one another?"

"Yes, madam," said Ned.

"And didn't you say they raised a fine pa'cel of children?"

"Yes, madam, except Billy. I said, you know, that he was a little wild."

"Well, yes; I know you said Billy wasn't as clever as the rest of them. But we old women were talking about it last night after you went out, and none of us could make it out how they could have children; and I said, I reckoned you wouldn't mind an old woman's chat; and, therefore, that I would ask you how it could be? I suppose you won't mind telling an old woman how it was.

"Certainly not, madam. They were both widowers before they fell in love with each other and got married."

"The lackaday! I wonder none of us thought o' that. And they had children before they got married?"

"Yes, madam; they had none afterward that I heard of."

We were here informed that our horses were in waiting, and we bade the good ladies farewell.

That's published 1840 though, so . . . eighty years before our scene opens.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Oct 9, 2017

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
son of a bitch this really is faulkner with river monsters

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

chernobyl kinsman posted:

son of a bitch this really is faulkner with river monsters

I know right

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

quote:

McDowell was born in 1950 in Enterprise, Alabama,[2] and graduated from T.R. Miller High in Brewton, Alabama.[citation needed] He received a B.A. and an M.A. from Harvard College, and a Ph.D in English from Brandeis University in 1978, based on a dissertation entitled "American Attitudes Toward Death, 1825–1865".[2]

McDowell lived in Medford, Massachusetts and maintained a residence in Hollywood with his sister Ann and the filmmaker Peter Lake. He also had one brother, James. McDowell's partner was theatre historian and director Laurence Senelick, whom he met in 1969 when McDowell was a cast member of the Senelick-directed play, Bartholomew Fair.[3] McDowell and Senelick remained together for thirty years until McDowell's death.

McDowell specialized in collecting death memorabilia. His extensive and diverse collection, which reportedly filled over seventy-six boxes, included items such as death pins, photographs and plaques from infant caskets. After his death, the collection was acquired by Chicago's Northwestern University, where it went on display in 2013.[4]

McDowell was diagnosed with AIDS in 1994. After his diagnosis, McDowell taught screenwriting at Boston University and Tufts University while continuing to write commissioned screenplays. One of his final projects, upon which he was working at the time of his death, was a sequel to Beetlejuice. His final, unfinished novel Candles Burning was completed by novelist Tabitha King and published in 2006.

McDowell died on December 27, 1999 in Boston, Massachusetts from an AIDS-related illness.[5]

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
http://toomuchhorrorfiction.blogspot.com/2015/06/michael-mcdowell-interview-1985.html

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Oct 9, 2017

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Too much horror fiction is how I found out about this book btw

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
i guess i should read that blog as horror is my pet genre and it is extremely difficult to sort the wheat from the chaff

Sidestep
May 16, 2012

Not sure I have a ton of original insight to add, but drat this books nails the texture and authentic feel it aims for.

I have a little bit of peripheral experience with one of the grand families down by Savannah and they map onto this story pretty easily. Close enough I wouldn't be terribly surprised to find out that a generation or two back, river monsters ran that family as well. I empathized really, really hard with Early Haskew until we find out he is just as awful as the rest of the Caskeys.

The real horror for me, beyond the typical banal evils of "polite society," turned out to be the children as currency and weapons theme. Even lonely, closeted James, whom I previously liked and sympathized with, turns out to be pretty monstrous. The offhanded jokes about being lonely and dipping down to buy a young boy at the Ben Franklin for $1.59 to keep him company hit pretty hard.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Sounds like this should be extremely my poo poo, will dive in once done with current book.

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

SUPPORTER OF THE REINSTATED LAWFUL HAWAIIAN GOVERNMENT. HAOLES GET OFF DA `AINA.
Just picked this up and am only up to about chapter 3 in the first "book." I am definitely enjoying it so far, the author seems to be doing a good job of building up tension, we are getting a story of a town rebuilding after a catastrophic flood but at the same time something just doesn't seem right.

All the descriptions of scenery seem to be, on the surface, very pretty. Lots of river scenes and walking through the country scenes, but something about them makes me feel a bit of dread. Maybe the constant mention of steam coming off of everything and the smell? I'm not sure if it's just me knowing that this is a horror book and expecting to find horror, or the author just being really subtle about hinting that stuff is not quite right in Perdido.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Finished it; not quite sure what to make of it except my impression that Elinor was a lot more human than most of the actual humans in the book stayed until the end - and that's despite her being an unrepentant killer. The second half, after Mary-Love dies really reminded me more of Marquez than Faulkner and felt a lot weaker, but that's probably just me.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

drat man you really warpathed through it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'm a fast reader. Never stopping to think about what I just read helps.
Also keeps me reading genre.

Looking forward to see others' reactions and all the themes I inevitably missed. Hopefully there will be some.

e: To be fair I was spending a lot of time on trains over the last weeks.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Oct 11, 2017

• Locked thread