Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Alaois posted:

People are already bored of the new toy 😔

this is exactly what happened after Hangman won the title. He had that first promo, set up a title defence against Danielson and then had a death match with lance archer and people were talking about how the title run was a bust. And in retrospect it's maybe my favorite world title run so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Edward Mass posted:

laughing at Dave Meltzer pronouncing Patrick Mahomes as "Ma-ho-mez".

I'm dying at this right now lol. Then Bryan immediately pronounces it correctly after Dave's derail.

a dumb moron
Mar 19, 2024

augh
Swerve’s promo was good

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Shard posted:

this is exactly what happened after Hangman won the title. He had that first promo, set up a title defence against Danielson and then had a death match with lance archer and people were talking about how the title run was a bust. And in retrospect it's maybe my favorite world title run so far.

Nothing against the guy, but who's taking Lance Archer as a serious threat for the world title?

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Lone Goat posted:

Nothing against the guy, but who's taking Lance Archer as a serious threat for the world title?

I don't think every challenger needs to be a serious contender as in us thinking in a meta sense they could win. Archer is def good enough to be a big tough guy who does hardcore poo poo in a match he's already beat jon moxley in though.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Hangman’s reign was a wet fart, if we’re allowed to be honest, in the Wrestling Podcast Thread.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

it didn't hit anywhere near the peak that his chase did, for sure

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
that would probably also describe omega's iwgp hw title reign

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

a dumb moron posted:

Doesn’t WWE business always cool down from like April to June? Like, for the last 30-40 years it’s been like that?
I don't know about 30-40 years, I know that the Rumble and Wrestlemania have existed for that long, but not in the same "Wrestlemania Season" of recent years.

Summerslam was on par or ahead of the Rumble in buyrates every year until the early 2000s, and still beat it out in 2005-2007. For the past decade+ there's definitely been a post-WM/summer lull, in part because of the hype behind Wrestlemania Season, not to mention the annual post-WM departures. This is a relatively new development because it is relatively recently that Rumble-Mania is built around part-timers like Undertaker, Lesnar, Rock, Reigns, etc. so in the 1980s or 1990s there was less of a drop-off because traditionally Hogan/Savage/Hart/Michaels/Austin/Rock/Cena/Batista/etc. did not just disappear the night after Wrestlemania.

That said, this year is particularly stark because 75% of the people who main evented both nights of Wrestlemania are gone for the foreseeable future. Their top women's champion is gone for the foreseeable future. The draft is drawing low ratings and interest. Five of their next six PLEs are scheduled internationally, and four out of six are going to be airing at off-hours in the US due to timezones. Raw and Smackdown will likely either be on smaller channels for much of the fall. It would be silly to say they're going to go out of business because they absolutely won't, but this is more than "oh there's always a lull after Wrestlemania" this year, it seems like.

a dumb moron
Mar 19, 2024

augh
Well I mean the draft is not drawing because everyone knows it’s pointless and everyone appears wherever and people have caught on.

They don’t need split rosters anymore. They have competition again. Just end it.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Shard posted:

I don't think every challenger needs to be a serious contender as in us thinking in a meta sense they could win. Archer is def good enough to be a big tough guy who does hardcore poo poo in a match he's already beat jon moxley in though.

Yeah the match was good but it was not a good World Title Match. I wouldn't be complaining if the midcard guy had a good match in the middle of the card, or even for a lower belt.

Once the match actually started it was great, but it's tough to get invested in the lead up to a title match where one guy is basically 0% to win.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Archer is a threat because he’s big and scary and fast and hits hard. That’s wrestling. Declaring a title run bad because a wrestler went against a scary heel and had a good match is some weird meta watching thing where you’re just setting yourself up to not like something.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Archer rules. One of the only dudes in AEW with a clean pin over Mox

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
big fan of the murderhawk. I think he’s cool

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
new ep
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS3NEYggw9A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

no but you see according to my Power Scaling there's no way Lance Archer could beat Hangman Adam Page so therefor there's no reason for a match to ever happen