Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Guns introduced in gameplay: 40% into the main story

Guns introduced in cutscene: 80% into the main story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Ytlaya posted:

I like how guns are trivial during player-controlled fights, but realistically deadly during cutscenes. A bad guy will pull out a gun and everyone will just stand there staring at them, waiting to get shot.

Sleeping Dogs was great with guns. It takes place in Hong Kong, where guns are super rare even for criminal organizations, so when you get one, it’s treated as a Big Deal. It also lets you headshot dudes for instant kills, which makes them crazy powerful for a brawling game.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So I just realized, for some strange reason, that a character from this 2001 J-Drama I watched back in high school is named Haruka Sawamura : http://asianwiki.com/Strawberry_on_the_Shortcake

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/totaldivaseps/status/1003136949710880768

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Can you buy better spear guns, or are those only gained through the fishing minigame?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

At some point a guy shows up in an alley who sells a bunch of rare stuff including a pretty good speargun. IIRC the game makes you notice him so you won't miss it. I don't think it's the actual best one though, maybe you get that from the bar minigame or some other side quest?

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
Once you make enough progress in Clan Creator, it opens up black market guys in Onomichi and Kamurocho. The Onomichi one has the first speargun that's any good.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Oh sweet. I know the guy.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I never hosed around with the clan poo poo much, but completing the bar minigame she'll gift you one. And with it I found it fairly trivial to finish the fish.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Captain Walker posted:

Very early on in 6 (within the first two chapters) there’s a substory about a little girl in Children’s Park who wants Kiryu to find a certain item for her. I did so, after jumping through an appropriately Yakuza number of hoops, and she left the map, and the task list tells me she seemed happy. However, the substory isn’t complete (according to the awards list). I figured I needed to go away and come back later.

Update on this: I’m in the Finale and still can’t find where to go to finish this substory (iirc it’s number 3 on the Awards list). Sanity check: Children’s Park is the one on west Shichifuku St., right? The map in 6 doesn’t have it as a landmark anymore. I’ve gone there during both day and night in-game, to no avail. I can’t help but think the kid saw the writing on the wall and left Japan entirely, probably taking the final cat from Onomichi with her (again, I’ve been to the area where Kai apparently spawns all three times of day on multiple occasions, and I’ve yet to see a kitty). As I mentioned before, I imported a save from the demo, but I’m pretty sure that save was on the beach in Okinawa during the prologue. Am I missing something here besides “just keep trying?”

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

lets hang out posted:

At some point a guy shows up in an alley who sells a bunch of rare stuff including a pretty good speargun. IIRC the game makes you notice him so you won't miss it. I don't think it's the actual best one though, maybe you get that from the bar minigame or some other side quest?

the arms dealer speargun is actually the best one in the game

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It's crazy how good it is.

What level do I gotta get before the intermediate spear fishing level unlock? I can only kill this empoeror squid so many times.

Raimondo
Apr 29, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

It's crazy how good it is.

What level do I gotta get before the intermediate spear fishing level unlock? I can only kill this empoeror squid so many times.

I think it has more to do with starting the next substory. I only did the beginner and intermediate levels once for the substories, and then farmed the advanced for the completion award.

Edit: If you're not seeing the next substory, it might be because you haven't done enough baseball. The reward for the intermediate substory is a player. Same reason you can't do the bar chat minigame until you've done some baseball.

Raimondo fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jun 5, 2018

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

It doesn't have to do with your level, you unlock the other routes through side quests.
Just run across town and come back and see if it shows up. If not you might need to progress the story a little.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Ah. I'll be sure to hit up some baseball next.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
if anyone needs help with baseball, here's a dumb thing I wrote because I too tired to find the guide someone better wrote but not tired enough to write several paragraphs about fake video game baseball:

GANDHITRON posted:

I don't remember what the rewards were for the baseball sim, so I can't tell you if it's worth it or not. But even if you don't know poo poo about the game, you can make it through just fine. I didn't know anything about baseball either, but eventually it clicked after I skimmed a guide in the Games Y6 thread. Don't have a link for you, sorry.

The biggest things (I think) are:

•the little blue, red, and green arrows next to your players indicate their morale or fatigue. The red upwards pointing arrow is good, the blue one is bad (if you don't have a player for a position in good shape, it's not the end of the world to field a tired player)

•get a lot of practice with the game's batting system. The game will occasionally let you control whoever's at bat in critical moments (usually when there are a couple runners on bases) and if you can get a home run or a double, your whole team's morale temporarily goes up. If you're not good at batting either, swing when the circle shrinks to the ball icon, try to remember what pitches the enemy is capable of (sliders go from side to side one space, fastballs stay in their space but arrive faster, etc.), and if you're not comfortable with a pitch, you have two more strikes before you're out. It's better to get to strikes and then get a solid hit than to sloppily wing the ball and watch it sail into an outfielder's glove.

•don't ignore the stats of your players. The three (four?) that are control power and something else are for batting only; the stats in the little baseball diamond are for field positions. So, Kiryu is labelled OF, meaning outfield, meaning you can stick him in one of the three spots in the outfield and he'll do well. You'll notice that the little squares the players' names appear in are colored from bronze to gold (platinum?); bronzes do pretty good at lower levels but don't have as much potential, while high rank guys (usually one's you find in substories) have a lot of potential if you invest level up tickets in them.

•Gorbov—or whatever his name is—is your best pitcher, but if you don't have him or in the unlikely event he gets tired (there's a counter under the little stick guy when he's pitching of how many good ones he has left in him) substitute someone else by pressing square. A good pitcher combined with appropriate field and base dudes helps keep enemy scores lower.

I did all the baseball stuff a couple of hours before bed, listening to podcasts and nursing beers. I found it kinda fun and relaxing in the end. I ignored it for a good while, which was a bad move because you need to play it a little to access the New Gaudi Snack Bar quests, if you don't already have that unlocked.

Raimondo
Apr 29, 2010
I used the sample roster/lineup from Gamefaqs. Worked great for me. Requires all the guys you get from substories.

1 RF Maetani
2 CF Kuramoto
3 3B Hatakeyama
4 1B Gori-san
5 DH Genie
6 SS Gen-san
7 C Yoshida
8 LF Kiryu
9 2B Kase
P P Gorchov

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
Here's another post I barfed out about mahjong instead of getting ready for work:

GANDHITRON posted:

uh I can try

There are three suites—circles, bamboo, and Chinese characters. Each suite has tiles 1-9, and there are four copies of each.

There's also "honor" tiles: four winds (East, South, West, and North) and three dragons (white, green, red), all with four copies each.

(Every round has a "prevailing wind" and every player has a "seat wind" assigned to them that occasionally changes. So if your seat wind is west and the prevailing wind is north, keep an eye out for west and north wind tiles while discarding south and east tiles. The whole table shares the prevailing wind, so in this example everyone else is also keeping an eye out for the north wind tiles.)

To win a hand, you need a pair of any tile as well as four sets of three. A set of three can be a sequence of numbers in the same suite (like 2-3-4 bamboo) or a triplet of any of the suites or honor tiles (2-2-2 of characters, or three of the same dragon or wind). You also need a "yaku," which is basically something special about your hand that gives it a greater point value. The yaku requirement for a winning hand is what makes riichi / Japanese mahjong a little more complicated from the original Chinese version.

(A triplet of dragons or round/your seat wind are the most common yaku. Those nineteen pages of rules I think are mostly covering extremely rare yaku that you probably won't ever encounter like "Thirteen Orphans" or whatever.)

The game will give you the option of stealing other players' discarded tiles to complete a sequence (chi) or a triplet (pon), but stealing kind of fucks you over. This is because when you steal a tile, you "open" your hand to reveal what the stolen tile completes, and having an open hand disqualifies you from some of the more common ways of winning, most notably riichi, which I'll explain later.

(This concept of open and concealed hands and how yaku apply to all concealed hands but only some open hands is the thing most people have trouble with starting out. The only time you should feel comfortable stealing when you're a beginner is when you have a triplet of any dragon, or a triplet of your seat wind or the prevailing wind. There are a couple other conditions where stealing is fine, but I don't remember them right now. But if you start with two or three of an honor tile, go nuts.)

Declaring "riichi" is the most common way to win with a closed hand. Basically, you bet a couple thousand points or something that you're one tile away from winning, you lock in thirteen of your fourteen tiles, and continuously discard the fourth while hoping to steal the winning tile from another player ("ron") or draw it yourself for extra points ("tsumo").

(When opponents declare riichi, a good player will observe their opponent's discards to try to discern what they need to win, because if someone steals one of your tiles to win, you have to pay them the points.)

To declare riichi in Yakuza, you have to press square during your turn. It's not automatically offered like the options to steal tiles. If you're lazy, just hit square constantly.

I think the last thing that can gently caress you over is if you are one tile away from winning, you cannot steal that winning tile if you discarded a copy of it earlier in the game. This is called "furiten," and it's something to watch out for when declaring riichi.

If you want an easy time, try discarding 1. winds that are not your seat / prevailing wind 2. all honor tiles you don't already have at least two of and then 3. ones and nines of bamboo/circle/character ("terminals," meaning they are the terminals of the 1-2-3 and 7-8-9 sequences).

There's other poo poo too like the "dora" tiles which give extra points if you have copies of them in your hand, or creating concealed or open quads ("kan") of tiles to reveal additional dora tiles, but you can look that stuff up when you get the basics down.

There's a pretty good app called Noten Riichi Mahjong that'll show you the basics, which I probably should've mentioned before typing all this poo poo. It's a lot easier than Yakuza mahjong and it's pretty relaxing/boring for when you're trying to fall asleep if you have an extremely normal brain like I do.

god bless

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
I'm losing my mind

I'm in the Finale and I am missing only a few Awards. The ones that are left are driving me up the goddamn wall, and I've spent the last real-time week working on them.

Not all of the remaining Awards are things I care about. I can wait till Premium Adventure to grind out max level in spearfishing. The Puyo Puyo stuff I just don't care about; I'll probably end up doing it anyway, because nothing says "I love Yakuza" like repeatedly getting dunked on by that stupid magical girl.

The three things I actually want to do are:
Befriend Kai (cat) in Onomichi: He just doesn't spawn. I've tried approaching the Hirose HQ from the south, west, and north, at all three times of day, and I have never seen a kitty nearby. This one is the least important since not completing the Cat Cafe doesn't gate other major content like the substories, but I still want the gear reward.
Substory 3 - Haruka's Biggest Fan: I gave her the picture in like Chapter 2, before going to Onomichi the first time, and the task has been sitting in my objective list since then with the description "Ayaka seemed thrilled". She hasn't appeared in Children's Park. I've approaching the park from the taxi stand nearby, walking all the way from the parking lot on the east side of the street, and even sneaking up on her by going through the sewers. Again, she just doesn't want to spawn.
Substory 24 - A Man Rises Up: I need to beat Sodachi once more as a random encounter before he challenges me to the final showdown. I'm led to believe that like Saigo, he shows up as a purple arrow on the map. Unlike Saigo, I have yet to even see Sodachi a third time, and since I've run all over Kamurocho trying to get Ayaka to show up, I am concerned he may never appear. My only theory is that the unfinished Substory 3 is somehow conflicting with this once, since you apparently go to Children's Park for the last Sodachi battle.

I'm starting to get paranoid that I've screwed myself by starting with the demo (which I only downloaded and played after it was fixed by Sega), but I'm 100% that I hadn't even left Okinawa when the full game came out and I imported my save. Did I get hit by some kind of bug? What is going on??

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Yeah it seems you got bugged.

Both those substories can be active at the same time. Typically, Sodachi would overwrite HarukaFan since he’s closer to the entrance.

For reference, you’re in the park in the top left near the former Pocket Circuit stadium yes?

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

widespread posted:

For reference, you’re in the park in the top left near the former Pocket Circuit stadium yes?

That's the one. I'll try reinstalling the game entirely.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
Have you been going during the daytime, too? That might affect the Haruka's fan substory.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I also didn't see the final part of Haruka's Biggest Fan until almost the very end of the game. She just didn't appear there until suddenly she did. No idea what triggered it but she did appear for me eventually.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Just advanced the plot by going to the Navy Apartments. The next objective is to take a taxi to a certain location, but it looks like I still have full run of both cities. I’ll try looking for Ayaka and Sodachi again.

e: I'm now at the point of no return, though I have backup saves on the last day in Onomichi and right before taking the taxi from Kamurocho. It looks like I still have the run of both cities, but I can no longer change the time of day. Does that affect anything?

I did end up reinstalling the game, for all that matters.

Captain Walker fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jun 7, 2018

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Bahaha. Only Kiryu could stumble into managing a baseball team and not recognize one of the world's most famous baseball players standing in front of him.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Captain Walker posted:

Just advanced the plot by going to the Navy Apartments. The next objective is to take a taxi to a certain location, but it looks like I still have full run of both cities. I’ll try looking for Ayaka and Sodachi again.

e: I'm now at the point of no return, though I have backup saves on the last day in Onomichi and right before taking the taxi from Kamurocho. It looks like I still have the run of both cities, but I can no longer change the time of day. Does that affect anything?

I did end up reinstalling the game, for all that matters.

Both of those sub stories have to be during the day. They stopped appearing for me near the end of the game but came back in premium adventure mode.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Quote-Unquote posted:

Both of those sub stories have to be during the day. They stopped appearing for me near the end of the game but came back in premium adventure mode.

It’s now daytime in Premium Adventure. No sign of Ayaka yet; I’ll keep looking for Sodachi around town since I feel like he must be somehow stopping Ayaka from reappearing.

I did manage to find the final Onomichi cat; he’s kind of a jerk since he requires five cans of food to max out and you can only feed him three times per visit. Even gold tuna didn’t help; it fills him exactly as much as the beef miso. Also, it looks like he doesn’t spawn at all in the Finale until the story takes you back to Kamurocho.

I also maxed out my spearfishing level; I am now the Dolphin of Dojima. I even ended up with enough money to buy that horrifically overpriced talisman from the black market hombre in Onomichi. Now I just gotta save up for the even more expensive amulet from the Kamurocho sewer dweller. I know that stuff is very transparently end-game equipment, but come on, the third most expensive thing you can buy is literally half the price of the most expensive thing. Even the million-yen clear bonus wasn’t enough. Bring back the decadent 80s!!

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

https://twitter.com/funkyobligation/status/1005530125746786304

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Jo Amon is hard as balls.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Detective No. 27 posted:

I wouldn’t know because there’s two (possibly glitched) substories between me and him :argh:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Detective No. 27 posted:

When I posted that earlier, someone reminded me that you can't die in Extreme Heat mode

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Captain Walker posted:

I wouldn’t know because there’s two (possibly glitched) substories between me and him :argh:

Hm. I got the ability to fight him once I maxed my stats and then finished Sodachi's story in Premium.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Amazes me how a taxi becomes a hovercraft to bring me to the island.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
I got the text about the UFO sightings and the text about Jo Amon’s Floating Island at the same time and I got really excited. Alas.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Detective No. 27 posted:

Hm. I got the ability to fight him once I maxed my stats and then finished Sodachi's story in Premium.

Sodachi isn’t spawning for me :argh: :arghfist:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Captain Walker posted:

Sodachi isn’t spawning for me :argh: :arghfist:

Did you get his text about meeting him in Children's Park?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

https://twitter.com/AboveUp/status/1005985003489189888

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Detective No. 27 posted:

Did you get his text about meeting him in Children's Park?

No, that's the thing. I fought him outside RIZAP, and then again as a Troublr mission. Haven't seen him since, or the little girl in the same park who I gave the photo of Haruka. It's really weird since I run into Saigo constantly when I'm running around Hiroshima. My working theory is that one or both substories got bugged out somehow because I imported a save from the demo.

I might have to bite the rubber bullet and start a New Game+. Normally that'd be a dealbreaker for me but I enjoyed the new engine and all the quality-of-life improvements a lot, and I've already completed basically everything else besides Puyo.

edit: Has anyone actually completed the whole game on Legend? How was it? I already have the Gold trophy, but I cheesed it using the method I imagine most players did (save in New Serena before the point of no gameplay recording, crank the difficulty up to max, skip all cutscenes and abuse healing items in the final sequence).

I could just turn the difficulty down to Easy, sure, but with 300s across the board in stats, all buyable skills, and every equippable item except the Dragon God Amulet, it's not like anything besides bosses will pose any threat whatsoever.

Captain Walker fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jun 11, 2018

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

:bisonyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnN-zSuD6jk

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1006205211042435072?s=19

• Locked thread