Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Let the past die. Kill it, if you have to. Then resurrect it a few more times so you can squeeze all the juice out of that lemon possible.

Violator posted:

I’m not too hot on multi-hour reviews, but I’m liking fan documentaries like:

http://filmumentaries.com/fullvideos/

Haven't checked these out yet, but the problem with every fan documentary I've ever seen is that they just spend the whole time jerking the subject off. Like, a lot of these films deserve really interesting and in-depth documentaries made on their influences and their effects on the industry, or an examination of their thematic elements and breakdown of what makes their character moments so engaging and effective.

But in reality they just end up being a bunch of third-tier talking heads going "Isn't this movie amazing? Gosh did I love it as a kid." over and over again.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Apr 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Or, in a slightly more pointed reading, "fangirls are not a part of this fandom."

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Dave Syndrome posted:

In the hands of another writer, the plot might have been salvageable.

"If this weren't so misogynistic it wouldn't be so misogynistic!"

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Apr 26, 2019

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Robot Style posted:

Boba Fett tailgated a guy driving a broken car and then told the police what town he was going to.

Then he fell in a hole and died.

Would 100% watch a Star Wars remake that takes place in depressed, small town Midwestern America.

...or Afghanistan.

e: John Hawkes for Old Ben, the burnout alcoholic living in a shack on the edge of town who vowed to watch out for his shithead war buddy's kid.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Apr 29, 2019

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
By interesting do you mean hilariously similar in quality to the old EU?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yoda tried to tell us there is another, after all

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Kylo's mask is an hilarious bit of bad design. It really doesn't seem that JJ intended it as "Vader but stupid" even after Rian tried to throw him a freebie. I can't even picture his lightsaber.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Blast Fantasto posted:

Is constable zuvio gonna be in this movie

You just know that Abrams is going to put him in as a dumb wink to the memes.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Teek posted:

The Luke shot could very well just be a staged shot. It doesn't have to tie into any particular scene in the movie. Luke looks like his self when he died. So his appearance here would basically just be his Force Ghost self just not with the post-CGI wizardry.

A bit lol that we have yet another desert planet. Really thought they were going back to Jakku at least in this one.

I mean, with R2 and the burning background, plus the Knights of Ren being in the movie, makes it pretty likely that it's just a flashback to when Kylo burned his poo poo down.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Teek posted:

That's Luke's TFA/TLJ look, he looked younger/different in the destruction flashback.

Oh. Yuck.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Ingmar terdman posted:

Annoying how much time I guess all the sequels spend on flashbacks

It's almost as if they should have started them at the actual inciting incident!

I can't imagine these films wouldn't feel more cohesive if the exact same set of events had occurred, but the first film was about Luke and Ben's falling out, the second one was about Luke having hidden away and Rey's quest to find him, and the third one was about Luke and/or his new apprentice facing down his greatest failure.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Rose is a good character that fits extremely well within the narrative and thematics that Rian Johnson crafted. Thank you and I will show myself out.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

Just quoting this so you can't edit it out. Actually, many people had thought of planes being used as giant missiles. In fact, there was an X-Files episode about someone using that exact tactic against the WTC. I feel safe saying that many, many films have had airliners crash into things.

Just quoting this so you can't edit it out. Actually, they were talking about kamikaze pilots during WWII.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Maybe take a walk around the block, dude.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Bogus Adventure posted:

I'm just looking forward to the live-action remake of the Star Wars trilogies done completely in CGI. I kinda wonder what musical number they'll include.

I mean, Lucasfilm is already essentially doing this, just in small chunks and with better taste:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xf1cfemeX_U

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Wonder what Guinness's reaction would be to a deepfake video replacing his face with Ewan McGregor's, or that CGI Vader-Obi-Wan duel monstrosity. I'd imagine he'd either have some pithy acerbic witticism, or just cry like McKellen on the set of The Hobbit.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Sep 9, 2019

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Someone here pointed me to a good viewing guide that let me skip all the bad Clone Wars stuff and it worked out very well.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Rebels is terrible and made the whole Rebel Alliance feel like a fuckin' joke.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Necrotizer F posted:

The first season was a bit "meh." The special between seasons One and Two that brought in Vader was the thing that made me go, "Okay, yeah, you know what? Disney's got this."

The characters are universally dire—outside of Ahsoka, who as stated had to be imported from a better show to give Rebels some life.

Necrotizer F posted:

After the three prequel movies turned Darth Vader into a whiny, emo preppy stalker, two episodes of an animated show turned him back into a legitimate, badass terrifying villain.

This was a bad move. A creepy, incel, alt-right, emotionally-stunted, post-Columbine teenager is a lot scarier in the modern era than Metal Frankenstein. The prequels may have whiffed the execution of the character, but they nailed the idea. As much as I think the sequels also have terrible characters, Kylo is a great refinement of the same concept.

Necrotizer F posted:

I'll always be grateful to Rebels for doing that even beyond getting to experience Thrawn onscreen.

Thrawn sucks and feels like Rebels doing Kevin J. Anderson fanfiction.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Sep 10, 2019

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
That's the moment I realized I hated the show.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Bogus Adventure posted:

The only explanation is attempting to hypermonetize the franchise by requiring fans to gobble up every lovely morsel of media in order to have even the shakiest of understandings of why the galaxy is a shitshow after the triumphant ending of ROTJ.

Nah. It's more that they started the ST with such an empty, hollow movie that threw out its script at the last minute and was half-improvised that other writers had to come in later and try to clean up the mess.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
There's a despecialized THX fan cut out there, too, that's pretty solid. But I've recommended THX to a bunch of people over the years and there's no way they're going to be aware of the special edition situation nor have the capabilities to track down an obscure fan cut.

And yeah, the THX SE is less egregiously awful for most of the film, but the early-00s CGI monkeys are way more embarrassing than the dwarf actors in costumes ever were.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Fitzy Fitz posted:

george lucas, not bitter: "If I’d held onto the company I could have done it, and then it would have been done. Of course, a lot of the fans would have hated it, just like they did Phantom Menace and everything, but at least the whole story from beginning to end would be told."

I mean, come on:

Bob Iger's new book posted:

Early on, Kathy [Kennedy] brought J.J. [Abrams] and Michael Arndt up to Northern California to meet with George at his ranch and talk about their ideas for the film. George immediately got upset as they began to describe the plot and it dawned on him that we weren’t using one of the stories he submitted during the negotiations.

The truth was, Kathy, J.J., Alan [Horn, Disney’s film chief], and I had discussed the direction in which the saga should go, and we all agreed that it wasn’t what George had outlined. George knew we weren’t contractually bound to anything, but he thought that our buying the story treatments was a tacit promise that we’d follow them, and he was disappointed that his story was being discarded.

Just prior to the global release, Kathy screened The Force Awakens for George. He didn’t hide his disappointment. “There’s nothing new,” he said. In each of the films in the original trilogy, it was important to him to present new worlds, new stories, new characters, and new technologies. In this one, he said, “There weren’t enough visual or technical leaps forward.” He wasn’t wrong, but he also wasn’t appreciating the pressure we were under to give ardent fans a film that felt quintessentially Star Wars. We’d intentionally created a world that was visually and tonally connected to the earlier films, to not stray too far from what people loved and expected, and George was criticizing us for the very thing we were trying to do. Looking back with the perspective of several years and a few more Star Wars films, I believe J.J. achieved the near-impossible, creating a perfect bridge between what had been and what was to come.

“The issue was ultimately, they looked at the stories and they said, ‘We want to make something for the fans.’ People don’t actually realize it’s actually a soap opera and it’s all about family problems – it’s not about spaceships. So they decided they didn’t want to use those stories, they decided they were going to do their own thing so I decided, ‘Fine.’

They weren’t that keen to have me involved anyway. But at the same time, I said if I get in there I’m just going to cause trouble. Because they’re not going to do what I want them to do. And I don’t have the control to do that anymore. All I would do is muck everything up. So I said, ‘Okay, I will go my way, and I’ll let them go their way.'”

That's literally Iger saying that they made empty movies intentionally because it's what the fans wanted.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Lucas was fine with challenging his audience and subverting their expectations. Disney is not. I want films that set out to be interesting and challenging over ones that set out to be fluff, regardless of ultimate quality. I don't care how good the fluff is or how bad the challenging films are.

The fact that George Lucas always gave the bird to fans (outside of some Boba Fett fanservice, I guess) is admirable.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Sep 24, 2019

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
nice fan fiction

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Iger really hosed it from the outset by not allowing JJ the time to craft a film from the ground up, forcing him to make a rushed and incomplete film with no intended answers to its mysteries, no larger vision, that had to use nostalgia as a constant crutch, and that had to be rewritten in the editing room. All for the sake of Bob's quarterly profits.

Kennedy's choice to not have an overall vision for the trilogy was dumb, but I can see how it would be well-meaning. If they intended from the start to have different interesting filmmakers tackle an entry of the trilogy, I can see there being a noble intention of being filmmaker-driven movies. But in a series that thus far had been driven by a singular driving creative force it was very clearly the wrong move. Hiring Trevorrow was her biggest fuckup with the whole trilogy, having to actively ignore how poor his previous output was—assuming she was behind the decision and it wasn't dictated by Iger with Jurassic World dollars in his eyes.

JJ just did JJ. The first film he made a propulsive but empty nostalgia film, which is exactly what his filmmaking history would imply he'd do. The third film he's apparently made a convoluted mess of an ending, which is exactly what his filmmaking history would imply he'd do. He was dumb to come back for the reported mess of the third entry, especially if he went in planning to poo poo all over TLJ, but I understand why he did it after Kennedy and crew were desperate for someone to pick up after Trevorrow didn't pan out. And once again, his hands were tied by timeline, having to pick up the scraps of somebody else's script (and, likely, action sequences from the in-progress previs) for a second time. I doubt he would've had the ability to craft his own full vision for the entry even if he'd had one.

I would've killed for Rian to finish out the trilogy but I totally understand that the complexities of franchise filmmaking probably wouldn't have allowed for it from a timeline perspective. But seeing a film where the Resistance goes after the military industrial complex and the capitalist infrastructure to take down the First Order in a deeper and more meaningful way, ultimately creating a more peaceful galaxy for generations to come would've been a whole loving lot more interesting than Palpatine coming back with a... fleet of star destroyers, I guess?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Favreau has gone on record saying he wants to do it and has ideas.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Everything interesting in this trilogy happens off-screen.

"The dead speak!" rules, but much like everything else in the JJ films, it's just a riff on a better idea of George Lucas', Revenge of the Sith's "War!"

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

That won't load for me, but somehow it's up on YouTube for now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qAdI3nMQlk

If only Luke had used TWO lightsabers he could've defeated the Emperor, that failure!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Decius posted:

You realise we made that joke back in RotS? If only someone had told Luke of that lighting block Mace Windu was so good at...

Yes, and they were both poor choices.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

dex_sda posted:

He gets hosed the same way a third time lmfao

It's a metaphor for the experience of viewers.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Vintersorg posted:

The reviews just reek of click-bait hate. It cannot be that bad. Worse than AoTC or even RoTS?

Keep in mind that reviewers on the whole are a different breed than the ones that reviewed the prequels. At that point the bulk of reviewers were still old-school newspaper reviewers who had no attachment to the films or opinions about/experience with fandom. So an old dude watching AoTC or RoTS in the early 2000s is going to shrug off a mediocre film with interesting ideas and groundbreaking effects as "Yeah, that was pretty fun," but a middle-aged dude who collects Funko Pops and has written for movie blogs since he was 16 is going to have a far more hyperbolic take. The messageboard dwellers of yesteryear are the tastemakers of today.

e: Also, being bad and an empty corporate designed-by-committee product is a whole lot less palatable than being bad and having a lot of creative ideas.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Dec 18, 2019

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

OctoberCountry posted:

Apparently the Death Star Destroyers are powered by the dark side or something so when Sheev gets kamehameha'd the entire fleet blows up like the end of Return of the King

Avengers and/or Age of Ultron seems like a more apt comparison.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Tato posted:

With the emperor being arbitrarily resurrected (and what's to keep him from being brought back again after this movie?), I'm glad the films have come full circle to being as ridiculous as the old EU. Only disappointed we didn't get Luuke Skywalker and Luuuke Skywalker

That force ghost of Luke did look suspiciously slightly bigger...

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Onmi posted:

Look, in the end, there are going to be people who care about the minutia of a story and how things connect to one another on a technical level and people who care more about how it connects on a thematic level. If you personally don't care about one or the other, your feelings towards a piece of work are going to change either way. That's what I'm getting from all these arguments.

Shh, if you're too reasonable people may never angrily talk about Star Wars online again

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Just :lol: if you don't think the Palpatine backstory and Snoke clones and star destroyer fleet won't be filled in by the Obi-Wan show and/or Mandalorian season 2 or whatever. Ta-da! Gaps in proper storytelling suddenly become brand opportunities.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Darko posted:

Kylo doesn't have to be a monster for Rey to slay in the 3rd film. You're still constraining it to a 1st trilogy structure.

Could've been a neat followup on TLJ to see her defeat Kylo by forcing him to own up to his complete lack of ideology beyond the pursuit of power, revenge, and repression of his insecurities while the Resistance defeats the First Order by seizing the means of production of the military industrial complex. Kylo's worldview being systematically dismantled and shown as empty and pathetic would've been a lot cooler than him getting "redeemed" by his ghost dad and getting tossed into a pit or whatever.

But maybe that's just me.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
"JJ had a plan and Rian didn't follow it, so JJ had no choice but to continue on with that plan regardless of what happened in the previous film and shove as much of the plan as possible into this film even if it didn't fit and required him to retcon half the previous film."
- this thread

Even if JJ had a plan (he didn't) there was absolutely no reason beyond obstinance and spite to not course-correct and come up with a new plan. It's a little kid getting mad that he had to share his Legos and smashing what the other kid gave back to him.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Looks like the Obi-Wan show will have a young Luke in it. At this point this whole series has totally lost its sanctity for me and my response is "gently caress it, why not?" Since we're not going to get an original story, interesting thematics, or allegorical politics, at least I can see Stranger Things Luke Skywalker pilot T-16s with his knucklehead friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Lunatic Sledge posted:

the alternative is developing new characters and we don't wanna do that, it's scary

Everyone got cold feet after Dash Rendar.