Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Choose your class!
Gourmet Fighter
Sauce Wizard
Spice Thief
Condiment Cleric
View Results

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
I like this manga a lot! Binged it in 3 days.

It reminds me a lot of Brian Jacques Redwall series, with all the in depth food descriptions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Oof I just noticed that at the end that the story continues Feb 15th.

The break is well deserved.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Ahh chilchuk is awesome.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

DrSunshine posted:

I like how Kiki is all like, "You wanna touch?" :wink:

Probably the lewdest this comic has been.

Except for Marcille's familiar wiggle dance.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Quoting this because it got lost above the other quotes for me.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Flavahbeast posted:

would people really be that mad about it

This is the internet so definitely.

Also I'd bet on it being one of those monkey paw things where she ages instantly a-la the holy grail scene from indiana jones.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
I like how Chilchuk was originally seen as this impish greedy thief, but over time you learn that he is just a dad with dad priorities.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Lt. Lizard posted:

You could guess sentences for most of convicts in Canaries just from their appearence and behavior, outside of Otta. Holy hell, Otta. :staredog:

That one really threw me for a loop. I'm so used to the "1000 year old dragon" trope I hadn't thought of the "14 year old halfling college student".

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
I think the Elves need to create a union of races in the canaries. A lot of the pushback comes from elves being seen as dicks (rightfully so!) If they had tallmen, halfmen, dwarven and etc canaries then you could have a representative besides just an elf.

"Yes the elves are dicks but unfortunately they are right."

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
So I'm dumb as hell. I thought the author of Dungeon Meshi also wrote and did the story of Frieren at the Funeral, but she did a different comic with a similar premise,Ryuu no Gakkou wa Yama no Ue. At least it led me to Frieren!

Edit: and I continue this dumbassery by confusing the threads.

Donkringel fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Feb 10, 2022

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Jesus Christ having a half-child is hosed up in that world.

Milestones? gently caress your milestones. This kid is potty trained on THEIR OWN TIME.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
loving long lived races. Why do they get an emergency red phone connection with each other? Where is the tall man and halfling groups huh?

We may not live as long but we are superior at establishing dynastic monarchies, the most superior of feudal governments!

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Haha oh Winged Lion, you totally misunderstood all of Laios.

Laios is a goofball that loves monsters. You got that wish granted!

He also is way too goodhearted for his own good. Despite him despising humanity he has always been kind to others and they take advantage of him for it. But he has always tried to do good to others.

Finally, he loves a good meal.

If Laios turns into a human eating monster, what is the ONLY ethically sourced meal Laios can eat according to his moral compass?

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Vizuyos posted:

I don't think Laios was actually under the demon's control in the first place.

I think he didn't turn into a human-eating monster, but rather a demon-eating monster: a monster capable of eating the excess mana of an out-of-control dungeon, and then gobbling up the dungeon lord and the physical incarnation of the demon.

That would be the COOLEST monster really.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Found an interesting Youtube video talking about character design. It's nice to revisit the crew and look at all the old sketches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0Hr2_uX73o

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

thetoughestbean posted:

So if the demon is no longer a threat to the world, what will happen to the captain, whose only driving animus is his desire to kill the demon?

I imagine he can finally rest.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Nebrilos posted:

Also, Misurn is going to die now, right? He had no desires other than "revenge on the demon" and now there's no more revenge to be had.

I actually think all the criminal canaries may be in trouble. I don't think the elves are going to bother keeping them around if they aren't dying in dungeons.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Decided I'm going to re-read this and picked up volumes 1-9 plus the bible. Hadn't realized they have it nearly all translated to the current story.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Got all my Dungeon Meshi books and gave the series a re-read. It's interesting how many things were called out earlier in the story if you know what to look for (biggest one is Laois' perfect monster pops up multiple times throughout the story.)

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Think the manga will end at chapter 100?

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
I love how Namori had an unexpected crush on Laois when he showed up wrapped in the Lion's fur.

Long leg lover indeed!

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
So I have one final question.

What was the Winged Lion thinking about at the end? Was he toying with the idea of denying Falin's resurrection but then he decided not to?

That being asked, such an incredible series. It's either this one or Golden Kamuy for being my favorite.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

That was basically my take, the manifestation of the winged lion’s curse was weighing his options as to what the most hosed up thing to do to laios was, and “never let him near a monster again” won out over “ruin falin’s resurrection” by inches

Okay cool. I did go back and re-read it and have potentially another idea.

The Winged Lion is asking Falin if she is hungry and she wants to eat more. WL's entire sentient existence was driven by a hunger for desires and when Laios consumed the desire it caused WL to say "Well that loving sucked. I'm glad I'll never be hungry again because it was a pain."

He was wondering out loud if he should let her revive and be hungry again, consigning her to a "cruel fate". He decided not to because he is beyond mortal cares again, so he just waved her off to be resurrected.

This kind of goes in line with the ending message, to eat is to be alive, Falin ate so she is alive but the Winged Lion does not eat so he is not alive (and beyond such concerns).

That take could be me going way too in depth for it though.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Lt. Lizard posted:

Thinking about it:

Falin came from humble origin.

Is now princess/queen due to her brother being a king.

She was cursed and turned into a monster, before turning back to human.

As a result, she is a part dragon and got cute fangs and super unique silvery feathers on her legs as a result, making her ~super special~.

One of her love interest is hot, brooding half-elf mage she studied with, that has dabbled in forbidden magic to save and is now a wanted criminal

Her other love interest is hot, brooding son of a noble who is her former party member and who came from far away exotic land, organized massive rescue party when she was turned into a monster and hopes to marry her.

She fights crime monsters.

Basically, she is a fantasy romance novel protagonist now. :v:

Sarah J Maas just woke up in a cold sweat and the beginning idea for a new book series.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

The Divine Orator posted:

Hmm did she marry a guy she brushed off as gently as possible and who didn't even appear in the final chapter, or the woman who's entire arc was about coming to terms with the fact the girl she cares about more than anything in the world will die one day, ending with her finally coming to terms with that in the last moments of the manga, who she then spends the rest of her life together with? truly a mystery that the author hasn't already made as clear as needed in the text already

Eh, I think Falin and Marcille will be roommates. Really special friends. They'll always show up for holidays, feasts and family gatherings together.

Speaking of best buds I like how Kabru is one of the advisors. I don't even think Laois asked, I think Kabru just kept showing up and Laois went along with it.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Nebrilos posted:

Didn't it say she was considering marrying him anyway, since she believes she has no other prospects?

Well now she has all the prospects because she is sister to the king and has kickass dragon DNA.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Rand Brittain posted:

Maybe not for the people living up top.

Actually I think this would have worked, because the mana density was much lower topside, so the dragon's biology would no longer be supported by the dense mana fields and physics (and gravity collapsing the dragon under its own weight) would have taken over.

But they didn't know that back then.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
These Falin comics make me sad she wasn't a larger (living and not monstrous) character in the series. Falin is a hoot.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Chicken Thumbs posted:

Turns out Paracelsus was right on the money when it comes to making homunculi:

This recipe reminds me of the goon (or was it a farker?) That tricked a whole bunch of guys to smear old pee and seminal fluid on their necks as some sort of deranged primal "scent" to attract women with "distilled sexual hormones".

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
I am very curious if the full elves will sound different from marcille. Elves in anime usually sound whispy or high pitched, marcille has been very refreshing to listen to, but it may be because she is a half elf.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

Also we already met another elf.

I think that other elf was also a half elf. I'm making this assumption on the ears being similar to marcille's. Full elves have longer, thinner ears while half elves have fatty ears.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

RuBisCO posted:

Ohh I was wondering about this, and this gets so tantalizing close to telling us what his parents could possible think about Laios suddenly becoming a king.

His mom strikes much too close too home, though nice to know they were both well-meaning enough.

Soaking a child in herb water sounds adorable.

Smacking them with herbs, not so much.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Can Of Worms posted:

A bonus chapter was uploaded today, don't recall reading this before.

This chapter helped explain why everyone was so surprised at Laios' party's progress. Their team could travel so fast because they could forage enroute and had lighter packs.

Honestly Kabru's team is equally good because they made good time the old fashioned way too.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Lt. Lizard posted:

Marcille is being played as a straight man (not that there is anything straight about her :v:), so the reveal that she is exactly as insane as Laios and Senshi, just in different areas, does come as a bit of a surprise. I remember I was pretty wtf when I got to that point in the manga.

I am so excited to see blood coated Marcille casting forbidden magics in the anime. There were a lot of folks dragging Marcille for her antics in the first few episodes and writing her off as useless.

It's like when GoT book fans were quietly waiting for the TV show fans to get to the Red Wedding.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

I wish this manga would get an update, genuinely enjoyed it.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

NmareBfly posted:

Re-reading again, I think that they could... skip changelings (50-52) for now, ending on Griffin Soup (49) for the main party and on floor 1 for 'upstairs' (55)?

I think Floor One is more important to get to as a climax so the Canaries do something this season, otherwise it's a big tease. Bacon and Eggs is probably a better place to leave off the main party and it has some super good moments, but you can't get there without Dumplings first and I dunno what you compress to make room for it.

I hope they're not shooting for Succubus, means rushing through some stuff...

E:

14 - Sea Serpent 1 / Dryad (31,33)
15 - Sea Serpent 2 / Cockatrice (32,34)
16 - Cleaners / Sake (35,36)
17 - Harpy / Chimera (37,38)
18 - Shapshifter 1+2 (39,40)
19 - Hag + Nightmare (41,42)
20 - Ice Golem / Barometz (43,44)
21 - Egg / Golden Country (45,46)
22 - Griffin / / Floor 1 1 (47,53)
23 - Familiars / Floor 1 2 (48,54)
24 - Griffin Soup / Floor 1 4 (49,55)

They better not skip changelings! It's my favorite of the bunch!

I'm also excited to see Izutsumi. I'm going to be staring and grinning at my wife when Izutsumi is on screen, because the two have very similar personalities.

Please don't tell my wife I said that she will knock my prettiest vases off the shelves.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
I miss YouTube AMV's and this one is decently done to hard knock life.

Peak Marcille for the first quarter.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

lunar detritus posted:

and apparently values food over being against child labor :v:

Makes sense culturally for Senshi, child dwarves will work in the mines doing stuff like loading rocks.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

I know Japan sometimes has those pop-up themed cafes, so it'd be the easiest money-maker ever to throw up a Dungeon Meshi cafe.

I want to try ghost ice cream, drat it!

Here is how to make treasure insects.

After that it's just sugar, bit of salt and liquor and mint!

Mix under heat and water and then swing it around in your local graveyard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
There were a few more supplemental "What If" chapters that came out recently from the bluray. Keep your eyes peeled for them.