Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

A better thread title would be something like "Climate Change: Mitigating inevitable consequences".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

I would also like for Owlofcreamcheese to go away.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

friendbot2000 posted:

As for your question earlier about how you get involved in your community when you don't know you neighbors Ace. I have always found the simplest way to get to know your neighbors is to invite them for dinner or start a "game night". You also mentioned you are not super comfortable with the language of the country you are in, well that is a good way to help you get more comfortable. Just knock on your neighbor's door and say "I am trying to get to know the people in my neighborhood a bit better, was wondering if you would like to come for dinner?" Or some variation of that. It works wonders. We are often so disconnected from each other that for someone to make the first move is delightfully refreshing. I have gotten to know most of the people in my apartment complex by just chatting with them at the pool in the summertime or inviting people I see in passing every day over for dinner. It builds community and I think it will help your mental state too my friend.

I can't speak for anyone else but I'm not inclined to trust food offered by someone I don't know, obviously restaurants or whatever are an exception.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

friendbot2000 posted:

Then invite them for a board game night? There are a lot of options available to be a good neighbor and building community.

That's like where we all play facebook games on our phones right?

I'm kidding of course.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

DrNutt posted:

I had a pretty terrifying realization this morning that Conservatives do have a plan for dealing with Climate Change, it's just that said plan is them enabling tin pot dictators and strong men all over the world to commit genocide against climate refugees, ethnic minorities, and other impoverished and at risk populations. They are straight up calculating that their best chance for elites to survive Climate Change is to wipe out all but a few loyal poors and ride it out, hoping that a drastically reduced developing population is enough to buy them a few hundred more years of lovely management.

Someone please tell me this is even too far down the rabbit hole for our worst leaders and that I must be starting to suffer some legit mental illness here.

Seems pretty accurate to me.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Conspiratiorist posted:

Tomato tomato.

"Pollution is okay so long as you pay someone to clean up after you" is your core belief here.

funkatron3000 posted:

False, but you keep building up those straw men.

For anyone following along getting confused by the russia/oil shills trying to muddy any positive discussion with what abouts: cleaning up pollution that is emitted is better than not cleaning it up at all and not emitting it at all is definitely even better yet.

I regret to inform you that Conspiratiorist is correct.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

I like how over and over with this topic the truth is just too hard to cope with so we all must be mental illness suffering doomsayers.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

TBF, AceOfFlames is a prominent poster.

Don't get me wrong I'm not arguing that none of us are suffering from mental illness, I certainly am, but that isn't necessarily the cause of the doom saying.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

davebo posted:

And as for my child having a life worse than I have, that's fine with me.

I personally can not understand felling this way though I do not think I am presently capable of raising a child anyway.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

davebo posted:

there still exists hope

No hope did not exist in the first place.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

davebo posted:

Geez, it's bad enough the future is full of heat and death, you're trying to eliminate relationships too? What the hell are humans even supposed to exist for? You all were aghast at the idea of raising a kid whose life will involve more hardship than our generation, and now you're stacking on a life of solitude to it?

Everything that exists is a consequence without a purpose.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

We are stuck on this rock together.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

CmdrRiker posted:

At least we have all of this CO2 to keep us company.

Grab an armful to keep warm at night.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

I am unemployed due to permanent physical disability.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

In lieu of hope I am driven to stay alive by empathy for people who are worse off than me, a sense of duty to "make the world a better place" by the time I die than when I was born and a desire to learn stuff. So even though we are doomed I try to help people be less ignorant and maybe help influence decisions made by people with power that impact our future.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Saving the loving world from us is going to take loving sacrifices. You can't always get what you want, yo.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Tab8715 posted:

I think we are getting off the wrong track.

My intent is not to hide from Global Warming or to determine exactly what will happen and when it will happen in the next few decades. There's simply too much data, variance, etc. to make such a prediction however the opposite also applies. We cannot and should not simply give up, throw our hands in air, that it's simply beyond human understanding and we might as well just enjoy what's left.

We should at least try, see if we are able to get some understand something because there are probably a few miracles we will be able to pull off. It won't ever get everything back to normal but life might suck a bit less. The only caveat is those miracles likely won't make a profit and no one is really trying to discover outside of maybe a few billionaires like Gates.

We need the US Government take Climate Change seriously and start preparing for a rapidly different world. Instead, we are just burying our heads in the sand.

Miracles are a concept created by humans, like hope.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Tab8715 posted:

Completely unexpected and good things have happened through out history such as the Civil Rights Movement, Vaccinations to the personal computer.

Those thing required effort to accomplish, many individuals actively working together to achieve a goal. Not a thing magicked into existence.

I have something to contribute for once, this is the backyard of my great-aunt/uncle's house on the southern Oregon coast.

Look at that species diversity, you too could have a yard like that depending on the climate of your residence.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

I am pretty sure a miracle is something that happens as a result of direct action by the hand of god. :shrug:

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

BrandorKP posted:

It's from the Latin word "miraculum"

I did not know that, I stand corrected then. Thanks for educating me.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Tab8715 posted:

Let's keep theorizing,

Let's say the unspeakable happens. We get a progressive in the white house and congress gets a super majority of progressives. The New Green Deal passes.

What would the world look like in a decade for the typical middle-class American?

What is a "typical middle-class American"?

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

CmdrRiker posted:

I know there are bigger things to worry about, but depending on where you're flying it's also a nontrivial amount of exposure to solar radiation. But I guess everything these days increases your risk of cancer by a hundredth of a percent.

I think that things which cause cancer now caused cancer in the past too.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Tab8715 posted:

2. What are the first cities to be un-inhabitable by climate change? FYI - I'll be in New Delhi, India next month.

You keep asking this but I think there are so many variables that nobody can answer it for certain.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

I have one of those bee house things too, we will probably try an easier to maintain setup next year.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Rime posted:

Stood three feet from this majestic creature yesterday, no crowds, just me and him alone and eyeing each other for half an hour. That was a religious experience. What a crime we're committing upon this world. :cripes:

"Hey buddy... I'm sorry." :(

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

There are a few dirt plugs in my beehouse :toot:.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

You almost tricked me with that one.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

This is not ok.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

We thought technology advances would bring us a "Jetsons" future of endless supply and want for nothing.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Tab8715 posted:

Hope is all we have at this point.

I've not felt hope in a long time so uh, speak for yourself there dude.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

I don't have the luxury of such frivolous activities so whatever.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Nail Rat posted:

Nonsense! There's a wide variety of commercial snack foods which have virtually no natural ingredients.

Supernatural snack foods. Spooky.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Tab8715 posted:

This thread is incredibly hostile to anything remotely positive which is quite odd when I’ve been simultaneously been following numerous actual climate scientists on twitter whom have dedicated their whole lives to this problem but still have faith. Imagine being alive in 1980 and studying this sort of stuff - everyone would think your absolutely crazy. Fast forward a few decades, nothing has been done and Trump is president.

They along with DWS and the author of Falter believe things can be done.

No one is arguing at all that’ll it be easy, cheap, etc. Personally, I think it’s going to cause an entire global revolution and if we get some amazing outcome the journey will not be enjoyable.

Edit : On a second thought things do occasionally get bleak but you don’t seem them trying to shoot down those trying to make a difference even if it’s something crazy like Carbon Capture or little impact like becoming vegan.

Excluding feedback effects.

"synonyms: trust, belief, confidence, conviction, credence, reliance, dependence; optimism, hopefulness, hope, expectation"

None of these is necessarily rooted in reality.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

That would be a lot more difficult on a hillside.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

The hills are alive with the sound of collapse.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Peer review is kind of a necessary prerequisite for credibility.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

nankeen posted:

this is my benchmark for whether someone feasibly could survive in the post-industrial idyll: have you ever grown your own pumpkin from a seed, eaten it, and found it nourishing?

Yeah, made pumpkin pie with actual pumpkin instead of canned not a pumpkin squash. Roasted the seeds in an oven too which were tasty.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

nankeen posted:

see, growing your own pumpkins and making pumpkin pie and sharing it with your neighbours is a much better post-climate survival plan than pretty much anything involving a gun

Add some backyard chickens into the mix and give neighbors free eggs, and the chickens can eat the stuff from the garden we don't end up eating.

e: I'm gonna roam the post-apocalypse wasteland on my bicycle with a chicken in a basket like it's E.T.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Squalid posted:

Could you explain to me why a 9% decrease (before accounting for advances in production) in agricultural yields is in the same ballpark of negative consequences as total human extinction within our lifetimes? Presumably you mean this in a philosophical sense or. . ? Kinda hard to get a read on the argument you were making

So many people are going to loving die that it is unacceptable, it is disgusting to really consider the terrible things humanity as a whole have done. As this is currently unavoidable we are "doomed".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Escape Addict posted:

Well I hope they rolled all the way around the planet and landed on the parts of my post that explained what I meant.

People sometimes have trouble seeing it in their heads. I suggested picking and choosing the most plausible parts of a visual medium, particularly the production design, so people will have an idea of what to expect.

In my examples, I avoided the hyperbolic apocalypse scenarios like The Road or The Book of Eli, and focused more on examples where society still exists but is broken and limping.

I'll defend my post as something you could tell people who are curious about climate change who need something to imagine. I've struggled to convey the info to people in the form of statistics and articles, but most people have seen popular sci-fi films and you can point out iconography and tone to help them imagine it.

I think you might be addicted to escapism.