Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Admiral Ray posted:

One of the better places to get money to look into things like this is the military. If you can convince generals, admirals (or their closest hangers on) that climate change will unpredictably and irreparably harm America's defense posture and your idea is part of an improved action plan to mitigate these the threats after a period of X years, enabling continued US presence in regions A, B, C while keeping expenditures below Y projections. The issue is, as ever, getting contact with them.
I thought the military was already on board with the threats of climate change and it is, as ever, (the Republican-held) Congress that is brushing it off.
Yeah, see here:

quote:

Climate change poses “immediate risks” to national security and will have broad and costly impacts on the way the US military carries out its missions, the Pentagon said in a new report on the impact of climate change released on 13 October.

The Defense Department said in the report, described as a “Climate Change Adaptation Roadmap," that it has begun to boost its "resilience" and ensure mission readiness is not compromised in the face of rising sea levels, increasing regularity of natural disasters, and food and water shortages in the developing world.

In a statement, US Defence Secretary Chuck Hagel called global warming a “threat multiplier,” saying rising seas and increasing numbers of severe weather events could exacerbate the dangers posed by threats ranging from infectious disease to terrorism...

The Center for Climate and Security, a policy institute with an advisory board of retired senior military officers and national security experts, said in a statement it concurred with the roadmap's assessment and urged policymakers to follow the military's lead.

In November 2013, Defense Secretary Hagel also released a new Defense Department strategy for the Arctic, identifying climate change and rising seas as key issues in changes there.

In May, the CNA Military Advisory Board issued a report highlighting the accelerating risks of climate change for national security. This was an update of the Board's 2007 report, the first major study to draw the link between climate change and national security. The report’s authors said the biggest change in the seven years between the two studies was the increase in scientific certainty about global warming, and of the link between global warming and security disruptions.
That was back in 2014. Article from January of this year:

quote:

While the Trump administration has largely rejected climate change as an issue, the Department of Defense and Congress have identified it as a major potential threat to national security.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Tab8715 posted:

Are all of Miami's flood protection projects just useless? I mean, they are are pouring nearly billions into flood protections into the city or at least some it with some extremely smart scientists.

Or is all of this just wishful thinking and praying for a unicorn?
Doesn't matter how much flood protection they build in, salt water is going to seep into the groundwater via the limestone, its already happening. Once there's no freshwater you can build all the walls you want unless you include some (seriously expensive) desalinization plants noone's going to be able to live or farm there.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Shima Honnou posted:

Can corn grow in chilly weather 'cause looking it up Illinois is one of the big producers and they're oscillating between like 50F and 70F depending on what day it is.

Its more the fields are too wet to plow than the weather (that's fine for corn growing. Not ideal, but fine. More about the sun than the temp).

Also the fact that they were warehousing all those soybeans that China wasn't buying because of the tariffs and oops floods took out the stockpiles and now they're washed away or rotting in flooded silos.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Stoner Sloth posted:

Make sure you drink plenty of water - more than you think you need and stay indoors/in air conditioned places if possible during the hottest parts of the day, also don't do anything too physical outdoors if you have to be there. Just some friendly advice - we've had healthy twenty six year olds drop dead of heat stroke and/or dehydration in those sort of conditions here.

Shade will be your friend if you have to be outside as well. Find it or bring it with you (large hats, umbrellas, pop-up awnings) if you have to work outside.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Defenistrator posted:

Anyone in Ontario notice the disturbing lack of insects this summer? I haven't seen a single fly or bee yet.

After our ridiculously wet spring here in the Midwest (where some fields are still underwater) the number of mosquitos, whose population you’d think would have exploded, is just normal. The gnat population however is nuts. Driving my kid to camp in the morning it looks like mist over ditches along the side of the road but it’s not. It’s clouds and clouds of gnats.

Oracle fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jun 27, 2019

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Sundae posted:

You're going to instantiate a new wave of climate-hacking using clusters of renewable, root-based bioprocesses. No speed trees here; we're going back to core principles with our new system. Just click the button on this app to find available hackyards or independent climate-concierges to bring about this new reality!

omg i died at hackyards

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

1glitch0 posted:

We were doubled up on computers and if we messed up and lost like a quarter way through class we just gave up and started talking because we knew it was hopeless to try again. Why "computer class" was just having everyone play Oregon Trail on Macs is... a whole other discussion I suppose. I wonder how prevalent that was in schools in the 80s and if it was, why.

It was everywhere and because it was a reward for whatever pointless BASIC programming or 'how to use a dial up modem' lesson they were struggling to teach you because for as many clueless people WRT computers there are today it was pretty much everybody back in the 80s. Also the game was one of the first attempts at infotainment and so could be excused with 'its educational!' if people objected to kids playing vidja games in school.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

How did this article sneak by us...

quote:

A Washington Post analysis of more than a century of National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration temperature data across the Lower 48 states and 3,107 counties has found that major areas are nearing or have already crossed the 2-degree Celsius mark.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Nice piece of fish posted:

In most famines, people stay home and move as little as possible. A mass starvation will not look like locusts decending, it will look like the black death. Ghost towns, corpse filled houses. Unless order fails completely.

1840s Ireland and America disagree with you. Lots of people did this yeah, but millions absolutely moved over an ocean before we'd discovered black gold in them thar hills.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Shima Honnou posted:

I recall once seeing some kind of documentary on how cattle raising essentially destroys the Great Plains' biodiversity since they aren't adapted to it like bison were and gently caress the place up by trampling everything, especially near water. Wish I could remember what it was, think it was some kind of Dateline-type show had an episode on that.

Luckily bison is both naturally adapted to the Great Plains and delicious.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

You make the coming post-apocalypse fun.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Conspiratiorist posted:

Not a human one, no.

I for one welcome our new Calamari overlords.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

StabbinHobo posted:

speaking of the scale

https://berniesanders.com/issues/green-new-deal/

only one candidates version of the green new deal is of the appropriate scale. you may have your grievances with it, but its the only one that gets the scale right.

He gets the scale right but there’s no mention of nuclear at all. All the money in the world isn’t going to do it without nuke plants and good luck convincing the casual treehuggers that omg atomz are anything but evil.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

VideoGameVet posted:

A massive cut in consumption makes stuff like Wind & Solar viable. Right now what happens is that we grow solar and wind sources AND grow carbon-based generation at the same time.

So Mass Transit and e-Bikes and not so much e-Cars.

I'm really trying think how this would work in places in the US like where I live where its currently in negative degree wind chill. I mean they cancel school for cold around here because kids standing at bus stops are in danger of frostbite and we have days when exposed skin freezes near instantly.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Don't live there

And people on the coasts will have to move because of sea level rise and hurricanes. Don't live in California, Washington or Oregon or neighboring states because of wildfires. Can't live in the south or southwest because the coming heatwaves will be deadly as wet bulb temps reach 35C. Where exactly are people supposed to live?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

VideoGameVet posted:

I don't know if they have a bus service for the schools, but when my children were in school they didn't and so you have parents driving the children to school ... a massive line up of SUV's etc.

<old-person>

When I was a child (NY) this didn't seem to be an issue (the cold). And it still isn't in places like Finland etc. And I suppose this was true back in the day in ND and other freeze zones.

</old-person>

I don't know if we can solve the problem in the places you live in, but my children grew up in LA and San Diego and lack of bus service was a major waste of energy.

Yeah we had to wait out in the cold for the bus when I was a kid too. We have bussing but kids can wait quite awhile outside for it to show up (problem with having enough bus drivers, traffic, busses just plain not being able to start because of the cold) It does seem like we're getting colder cold snaps and hotter heat waves though from when I was a kid.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Ras Het posted:

If "kids will die if they have to wait for the bus" is an issue, then school should very obviously be closed. I'm from inland Finland where -30c has historically been common, and I don't remember that being an issue, but ymmv. Anything above that isn't really an issue for children old enough to dress themselves

We have poor kids who may not have the types of clothing that can hold up to that kind of weather. I know this may be shocking to you in Finland. :capitalism:

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

VictualSquid posted:

The fact that there are children who can afford cars to drive to school, but not winter clothes is the real problem.

There aren't, they simply close school so that the gulf between rich kids who can drive to school when busses can't run and poor kids who can't doesn't widen by the poor kids being kept home.

tuyop posted:

You’re right, rather than expanding social services as well as public transit, we just have to drive those kids to school forever and ever!
That's not what I said nor what I was responding to. You're not going to expand social services or build up non-fossil fuel public transit overnight, especially in smaller cities and towns where rail doesn't make sense. What are you going to do in the meantime?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

VictualSquid posted:

So wait, you are saying the kids are currently not making it to school currently, but when you are arguing against public transportation we have to assume they all are happy with their cars?

No. Again, read what I am saying, jesus. There are days when its so cold the busses literally will not start, or will stall while being driven. On those days you can either strand some kids - by and large of lower socioeconomic status - at home while the kids with families with cars can still go, thus enlarging the achievement gap between kids of different socioeconomic status because poor kids miss more days due to cold, or you can just say 'everyone gets the day off and we'll make it up at the end of the year.' A certain number of 'snow days' (which are increasingly becoming cold days because we get more of those than we do snow) are built into the calendars in schools in mountain areas and the Midwest. Its a known phenomenon. But its getting kind of ridiculous. Records are being broken. They've closed schools before for cold as far back as 1977 because kids who walked were getting frostbite but not with this frequency. I don't think you in warmer climates realize how dangerous extreme cold can be. Kids because they're smaller tend to be more susceptible to the cold, and a lot of schools have trailers and outbuildings to handle overcrowding, which means kids and teachers have to go out into the cold multiple times a day while switching classes, which tends to lead to them getting sick in addition to being dangerous.

And no, this is not me arguing against public transportation, again. This is me stating that in areas where there is not public transportation and the weather can be dangerous, until you get that infrastructure to a point where its viable, you are still going to need another way to get around. Not everyone can 'just bike or walk or take public transportation.'

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Thug Lessons posted:

Yeah I was going to say something like this. It's really unlikely anything coming out of a glacier is a prehistoric plague. It would be genuinely interesting, and not particularly frightening, if any of these extinct virus groups could survive in a modern environment at all.

Aren't there 1919 Influenza pandemic victims buried in permafrost in Alaska that could conceivably spread that flu again?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Syenite posted:

World is doomed.

World was doomed the day Al Gore conceded friend, sorry.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Conspiratiorist posted:

Preppers also make a big deal out of fleeing cities towards the obviously safer (and minority-free) countryside, when historically during societal breakdowns it is urban centers that end up the focus of efforts to maintain stability, while the periphery is left to decay and raided for resources.

Preppers always think they’re going to be the raiders, not the raidees.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Failed Imagineer posted:

Totally agreed with your first para.

To your second point, it's actually hard to know how many Irish Americans are 1/4 or greater Irish ancestry. Surprisingly the only results I can find from a cursory google were from a frivolous 538 sponsored SurveyMonkey poll in 2015. They had about 1000 respondents and of that about 12% self reported as a quarter or more Irish, which would correspond to the 30-40m potential Irish passports.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/how-irish-are-people-who-identify-as-irish-american/

Obviously that kind of self-reporting is kinda crap data to infer from, but it's interesting to note that there was a large cohort of respondents who claimed to have "some Irish ancestry" but did not identify as "Irish-American", which suggests that the numbers might not actually be crazily inflated as you might suspect.

And making a wild assumption that of those 30-40m maybe 75% were bullshitting or unable to verify their ancestry, you could still have a potential 10-12m new passports, which for the record would be twice the current population of the island of Ireland.

I realise this is the climate change thread so I won't take this little weekend pondering any further off-topic. It's just interesting to me how insular the US is (I get it, propaganda plus huge, diverse country), and how that viewpoint could be affected by the coming decades of instability

The problem with your math is twofold: one, you assume that the entirety of that 25% Irish is from a single 100% Irish grandparent, when it may be two great-grandparents were half Irish or any other permutation thereof of inheritance, and two: that anyone’s grandparent that was 100% Irish must’ve been fresh off the boat, when in actuality plenty of Irish kept marrying each other for generations after relocating to America. Mine came over in the 1840s (with apparently half their village up and relocating nearby) and spent two more generations marrying the same drat people they’d been hooking up with in the Auld Country. My most recent Irish immigrant was my great-grandfather who came as a child with his parents and siblings in the 1890s, so while my dad could ostensibly apply for citizenship, I’m SOL. Unless I can piggyback on his citizenship after he gets it, which I doubt.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

It’s SUBSISTENCE farming not sustenance farming.

Subsistence: the action or fact of maintaining or supporting oneself at a minimum level.

You guys are killing me.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

So where’s bison fall on this burger chart?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

Hasn't Bison farming been found to have the potential to have a less drastic effect on the environment than Cow farming in America, due to Bison being evolved to actually live here among other things? Finding a way to replace beef with bison in people's diets could be a way to go about things.

Not just that bison require a lot less care and feeding for the same reasons (they're smart, can fight off predators, and better survive severe weather conditions like that which keep hitting the beef industry (record cold, blizzards, drought, etc).

Also they do have a drastic effect on the environment, for the better. new study just dropped from Kansas:

quote:

Decades of research led by scientists at Kansas State University offered evidence reintroducing bison to roam the tallgrass prairie gradually doubled plant diversity and improved resilience to extreme drought.

Gains documented in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Science were among the largest recorded globally in terms of species richness on grazing grasslands. The research involved more than 30 years of data collected at the Konza Prairie Biological Station near Manhattan.

Bison also still taste good (if you don't overcook it, as its very lean) and is a lot better for you than beef. Seriously if my pickyass teenager can eat it without noticing the difference most Americans should be good.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

It’s a MAGA golem.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

When did Germany become so pants on head stupid evil.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

greatBigJerk posted:

I wonder if there is an effective way to tell people that they're going to have to give up a lot of their current lifestyle in order to survive.

They will literally refuse to believe it. There are people in the local meteorologists Facebook feed arguing the wildfire smoke can’t possibly be coming from Canada because they know people who live on Quebec with clear blue skies and it must be a conspiracy to hide some local industrial accident/try and convince climate change deniers it’s real.

I wish I were kidding.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Mega Comrade posted:

Its important to know! I can't get a bunker built in only 2 years.

Buy an old missle silo.

Hell you can even get an entire base! (Gotta let the Air Force have access to keep cleaning up contaminated groundwater/soil).

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Adding salt to clouds seems like a uh... not well thought out idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

His Divine Shadow posted:

Wasn't saying we where safe. Everything will get worse. But that's why I'm glad we at least got this aquifer.

Russia: You mean OUR aquifer.