Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Lain Iwakura posted:

I wonder when I will get a call from them offering credit checks for a year.

https://www.desjardins.com/ca/personal-information/index.jsp

It's, hilariously enough, going to be with Equifax. I guess they have experience with massive data leaks. At least it's for 5 years?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

One of the main reasons I left android and refuse to come back was the lovely permission model. Another one was forever not receiving updates from my carrier and having to travel to the US to get them from AT&T instead while I was there for work.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

pseudorandom posted:

I hate this, but I once encountered something even worse.

On some website I've forgotten, I changed/set my password, and then it redirected me to a page like "cool, you're done, now you can log in", but when when I typed my credentials it kept saying they were wrong. I was about to say gently caress it and give up on the site before I finally figured out what was happening:

When I set the password, it silently truncated it to ~15 characters. However, when you log in, it compared using the full input without truncating it. :eng99:

Let me one up this one.

OSX allows you to set full disk encryption using a custom keyboard layout that is stored on the disk itself. If you use a non-US layout, this lets you type keys that are not available on the default US layout (for example, ç or ü).
When the OS boots while encrypted, it prompts you for your password, but using a US layout.

If you don't have the little recovery code noted somewhere safe where you know to find it, you just rendered all your data unusable. There are no warnings or whatever, you just find about it the hard way.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Janitor Prime posted:

Not to diminish how dumb this is, but lol if you're a computer toucher and use non ASCII for usernames/passwords

It had never been a problem before and hasn't been a problem since.

also lol if you don't just use U+FDFD everywhere to gently caress with UI folks

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I show up on google all the time and I submitted my twitter timeline to the list of copyrighted materials / prior arts to be exempted from when starting my current job. Keep the lawyers busy :mrgw:

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

someone do this with their post history and report back

I almost did it, but I avoided providing the links since I mentioned my negotiating process in the interviewing thread here.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Having the passwords translated as phone numbers does not necessarily require to have it cleartext; you could essentially run the transform from all accepted characters to a phone number keyboard on it when the user first chooses it, hash that and store the hash. When logging in from a phone, you then check against the phone hash only.

However you've now got two hashes, one of which is off a weak as gently caress digit-only password and is probably enough to replace the safer/complete one anyway.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

lmao get you an audit company that knows their poo poo, they have proven they're not competent enough to help you and whatever poo poo they run would be a liability

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Shaggar posted:

lol @ dumb anti-American laws designed to promote terrible local alternatives.

there are so many things wrong with the opinions you choose to have that just starting to address them would guarantee a v18.4 thread

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

the next generation will call it trace-retweet

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

soap, the hygienic product, not the shaggarific protocol.
water filtration/purification is p. good too.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

You can train your users to proper javascript hygiene by including this script on your website:

<script src="https://ferd.ca/static/js/adblock-only.js"></script>

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Seems like a bunch of employees were looking to fix weaknesses in the algorithm and kept being told no.

Curious to see how that match with ECC and the countless assertions that people just keep publishing broken curves and we just don't know.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

if the extent of your phishing preparedness is showing "ah yes, people can fall prey to phishing", you've got lovely security.

At least focus on what to do once someone has been phished or in trying to detect it happening and do some disaster preparedness rather than just doing the security equivalent of pulling on people's shoelaces while they're not looking and going "uh they were not tied super hard I guess! that's a trip hazard!!"

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

just send an email with the results of the phishing tests but it's a phishing email, security team has trained people to trust their emails rather than just delete them like they should with all the other emails

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

it sure is less than ideal opsec because you're instantly giving stuff like: your name, a good guess as to where you live, your banking institution. Sounds like an effective first step for finding a ton more info on someone. That being said if you look at the registrar for the person's domain and all the same info is already public (aside from institution) and more accurate, then I guess you could assume you're not making things that much worse.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Methanar posted:

I don't get it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flowers_for_Algernon

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I realize how risky this is to post in this thread of all places with its past, but the poor opsec of it is hard to pass up: trump's twitter account was "hacked" in 2016 because the password was yourefired

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

i'm not sure you can boot a linux kernel in 256kb of sram

edit: useful linux kernel

yospos comment: can you boot any useful linux kernel on any amount of ram?

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I'd be down to see most social media vanish.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I can’t see it vanish if I’m not on there

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

140 mil is being able to spend anywhere between 1-2 mil a year without working for your entire life and not going through it.

1 mil is over 25 years of US median wages. having 140 mil is having over 3,500 years of today's US median wages worth of money in total.

it's being rich by any factor, even if you're not the biggest rear end in a top hat at the top of the pole

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I maintain OSS projects and if I learn that some rando is running and adversarial experiment where all the effort is spent on clowning on me and wasting my free time for them to get papers published about how much I suck at what I do, I'd probably lose all trust in them and consider not reviewing any further contribution from them anymore.

Like the researchers are clever enough to know that trust is integral to maintain for their experiment to work (otherwise the bad commits would be caught!), they should also be clever enough to know that running the experiment without a heads-up would deplete said trust after the fact and not act all surprised when people don't want to lose their time with them anymore.

They've run their experiment, it was moderately successful, now they've blown up their lab and can keep looking for other experiments to run elsewhere.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

https://twitter.com/brianhonan/status/1395529258550898694?s=21

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I've stored disk encryption passwords in 1password using the mobile stuff to access the desktop stuff and I sure as hell am not counting on my browser storage to handle these cases well.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

at least they’re not the first website owner to be brought down by $10 cookies

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

for temporary studies, some cities just set up RFID scanners on the road, and they can count cars that way because most tire manufacturers put RFID chips in them to track inventory.

also the new idea is "abandon cars, just take a bus, they can track them already"

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

we don't start the AC until we hit 27C/80F.

I can get that the elderly or very young may be more sensitive to higher (and lower) temperatures but deep inside I sort of agree that during a time of crunch where the grid might topple over, limiting how much heat or AC you get while still keeping it in generally healthy ranges is a good thing.

Texas should definitely fix its hosed up power grid, that being said.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

you'd think these sort of measures would be a kind of special emergency buffer when things go bad but 15 minutes after an exec found out about the capacity it became an optimization to defer infrastructure improvements while raking in more money that just increased system brittleness by absolutely red-lining every generator forever.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

w3m is absolutely the best console browser and I use it as an HTML rendered for Mutt as well

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

just playing SIM ant

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I organized my own conference :smuggo:

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I use 1Password and Authy, but I kept forgetting my Authy backup password so I put it in 1Password and that sort of defeats the purpose.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

more signatures!

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

French omitting accents on capitals is mostly a relic of typewriters not handling them properly, and it is correct to require them now that technology can do it right. it is in fact one example of how poor technical support for actual world requirements can influence the real world to adjust to its bad tech.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

evil_bunnY posted:

99% of the French don't even handwrite accented capitals.

Uppercase letters were accented consistently starting with the middle ages when standardization came up. The printing press had fixed size characters which made uppercase accented letters trickier, but they handled them by engraving smaller uppercase letters with diacriticals on top. Later printing machines were tricked by using above-row letters which the accents in their lower bleeding space, which let them be superposed to the capital underneath and giving normal-sized accented letters.

The total removal of accents on upper case letter came with typewriters of English manufacturing (monotypes and linotypes) starting in the late 1800s, which wouldn't handle them at all and had no way to make these special cases. There always were problems for title words like 'A MAN MURDERED' or 'A MAN MURDERS' where the past tense is 'TUÉ' and the present tense is 'TUE' and where removing the accent changes the whole meaning of the sentence (from murdered to murderer). Other famous ones are 'GISCARD A LA BARRE' ('Giscard is in control') and 'GISCARD À LA BARRE' ('Giscard is testifying at a trial'), which became an issue for a French presidential election in the 70s.

For standard typewriters, it involved manually going backwards, adjusting your line height, and typing the accent above the proper letters, and most people couldn't be arsed to do it (the same way they may not go back and accent some letters when writing cursive full speed if it didn't impact word meaning)

Essentially, cheap printers dropped the accents and careful ones kept them, but over decades of industrialized printing and presses and typewriting and even computers that wouldn't support proper accenting, the whole French sphere more or less adjusted and said "you know what? Fine, don't accent on capitals anymore" because it was messy and complicated to do on a technical level. This got internalized by most people writing over generations, which in turn, made people not sure they should use uppercase accents when they finally could with computers supporting non-English languages.

I grew up being taught that accent on capitals are not required unless they alter meaning, even when writing by hand in school, because that's simpler than being taught more sets of rules (which French already has plenty of). But with technology finally making it easy, a couple of centuries later, most significant French standardization bodies are pushing for it and asking for accented capitals to be the only way to go.

MononcQc fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Aug 31, 2021

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Chicago Manual of Style is the most beautifully typeset book I have in my library. I'm sure there's some real cool poetry works out there but that one to me still stands out.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

the closest thing I can do to tying this thing back to security is that for the brief time I was at Uber after they bought out Postmates, their systems auto-replaced all the é letters in my name by 3s, and instantly revoked all my W8-BEN forms for my stock options because the names no longer matched with what was in their systems.

Then the shareworks stuff they used to transfer the accounts kept crashing when I submitted forms with the accented data for the virtual tax witholding submission. I had to call them 3 times, they never did anything, asked me to send the form by mail, which they lost twice during the pandemic.

In the end I just got the money raw and will have to figure out taxes with tax people here who understand non en-us charsets.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

reading a clock is easy (especially if you only deal with AM/PM rather than 24h) and while I get someone never encountering it before, being an adult who doesn’t understand it or never even attempts to look it up baffles me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

also you can use an analog watch as an emergency compass if it’s sunny https://www.wikihow.com/Use-an-Analog-Watch-as-a-Compass