Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite Drink?
This poll is closed.
Water 32 26.67%
Tea 21 17.50%
Soda 28 23.33%
Alcoholic 22 18.33%
I dunno 17 14.17%
Total: 120 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

I couldn't make it onto the first page, but I'll be damned if I miss the second

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

can't believe self-proclaimed Big Anime Fan has only one post in the big anime thread

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

:yeah:

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

drat, I can't believe someone actually sourced a panel

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Beato Believer posted:

Great animation, great characters, good storyline... all in the service of rank vileness.
The show literally ends with Madoka becoming a universal force for good and sabotaging the system that harmed her and her friends

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

drat, beaten. Someone say Evangelion has a downer ending so I can get my own rebuttal in

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

The Colonel posted:

i'm going to start up a curriculum to educate people on the meaning of deconstruction in discussion about fiction
I'll chip in ten cents and a burned ReZero DVD

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

hmm

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

lmao it's so good

the voice acting is better than 95% of modern anime dubs, somehow

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Snooze Cruise posted:

wow so glad you found out you weren't

I can't be the only goon rereading Seifuku no Vampiress Lord one a month
looking forward to reading the next chapter in six months

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

WatermelonGun posted:

you’re definitely reading this one, on the very top of this subforum, which has multiple people decrying the bans and probably aren’t going to be punished at all.

like is anything going to be done about this dude posting whatever the hell this is?

which was also already brought up in the qcs thread. like dealing with extremely hosed up poo poo like that seems more important than me than getting mad at me for hurting your feelings. i’m sure i could find more if i looked but i don’t really want to, the burden of cleaning out your bad posters is on you guys unless you want people to keep ruining your cartoon threads.
did you try reporting the post

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Endorph posted:

quote this post if you think loli fans shouldnt be allowed to post here

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

StandardVC10 posted:

So there were 300 posts in here since this morning. Any worth reading?
look deep inside your heart. you already know the answer

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

El Burbo posted:

you have free will to do what you want but you choose to quote this post

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

El Burbo posted:

You do have permission to edit my post. Quote this
well, if you insist

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Waffleman_ posted:

Depends on if Crunchy decides to put all their money behind this one. Seems like their wheelhouse lately.
pretty sure that if CR was going to fund the project, they already would have, allowing for a better director?

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Looking forward to another three months of discourse! Thinking about workshopping my approach in advance--how does "says they're watching it to chronicle the bad parts but actually enjoys them" sound? I want to make sure I have a niche.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

battle tower trainers

every single time

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

dr stone is in the top 25. that's all I can muster the energy to get angry about.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Sharkopath posted:

So many of those are absolutely suck
but this one was good

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

I read it as a joke and found it funny despite being vocally pro-fleshfang myself. Thanks for reading

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

D. Ebdrup posted:

Show, don't tell - If a character has a certain trait, make us come to the conclusion based on their characterization rather than some shorthand.
lol. d ebdrup advocating the end of visual symbolism

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

you're not a real anime fan unless you can recognize all 496 touhou characters on sight

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

ok but why are all the players snake men

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

well

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

discord owns because one of the people who works on it used to make guildworks for mmos (at the time, ffxiv especially had a lot of guildworks users) and guildworks support went away totally when discord started happening for real but he accepted donations from guildworks users for several more months. discord makes gamers mad
accepting donations for an abandoned product to own the gamers

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

Well there's an author I never ever want to meet in real life
god forbid you learn what orientalism is

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

A crutch for those who can't think for themselves, or think in broader terms, yes.
yes. that's what's being explained in the essay.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

I was actually referring to Said's whole overarching idea of orientalism, as it is used by psuedointellectuals on the internet. Because I find it to be utter bollocks.
lmao I thought you meant that orientalism--that is, orientalism itself and not the study of it--was trash. ok bud. excited to see your mono-sentence deconstruction of post-structuralism

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

Ohio, although the notion that my opinion is solely because of or a result of my background is such an elegant confirmation of my reasoning that I'll take that as well.
oh, so you write like an Englishman because you think it makes you sound smart. as someone who did the same thing as a thirteen-year-old, I can tell you right now that it really, really doesn't

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

redreader posted:

I'm enjoying Macross Frontier so far but why does the sniper guy have so much hair covering his eyes? Its very annoying to me. Also it's definitely in the 'don't let your wife walk in when watching it, there may be a boob giantess onscreen' category. Is any good anime not like that?
neon genesis evangelion

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Julias posted:

Controversial opinion: showing problematic actions, language, characters, and opinions does not necessarily equal endorsement of those ideas. Infact, being able to explore controversial themes in fictional narratives, where nobody is being directly hurt by it, is some of the most interesting fiction because it challenges the consumer's perspective on things and allows for an engagement with an unusual subject matter. Context of who the author is that informs authorial intent and the message that they're trying to convey is more important in my opinion in determining how 'problematic' a work is.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

depicting the minority experience, as many minority authors like to do, involves relaying the treatment of and reaction to minorities, which can include some very unpleasant language! also, some minority authors have written stories about deeply bigoted characters; I can't remember the author or title, but an African-American man wrote a story about a racist white dude and the way he became that way, and you better bet the n-word is involved

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Roth posted:

I'm a trans woman, and I assure you I am well aware of what the minority experience is like.
I was trying to describe the depiction of the minority experience in media, not the minority experience itself. I didn't mean to dictate the latter, and I apologize for implying as much.