Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the world moves on, but rock will never die

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
it's an idiot's instrument

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Pigbuster posted:

That's rad, drat. What a phenomenal way of getting across how eerie he is.

ceci n'est pas un docteur

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
question from someone who seldom actually reads jojo, is this kind of phrasing the result of odd translation or does araki genuinely write like this

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

he's just so perfectly strange

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i think my least favorite araki quirk is how characters stand around for panel after panel frantically yelling warnings like second-rate horror movie characters

though maybe acting like a horror movie character is appropriate if you live in a world with carnivorous guardrails

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

YggdrasilTM posted:

Ah, yes, my bad. Anyone who is more than 35 years old is "almost 70", how could I forget.

Listen. To say that you are "almost" 70...this means that you are "approaching" 70, right? That 70 is "before" you. And if you are more than 35, then 35 is "behind" you. Having surpassed 35, it has been "abandoned." Understand? You can only "approach" what is "before" you! To strive for an "abandoned" thing is folly! And in the smallest increment of time after you have turned 70, that very first "moment"...70, too, will have been "abandoned!" What will lie "before" you then? What will "almost" approach you then? And when will your approach falter? To constantly approach this receding "almost," amidst the wreckage of "abandoned" things...that is what it means to live!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Xad posted:

iirc it wasn't even his current editor it was a former editor who kept being like "it's an old man and a clown? Dumb!... It's two brats? Dumb! Ew it's a bug guy? Dumb!" etc.

yeah this is what i heard, toriyama valued the guy's opinion a lot and kept consulting with him even when they weren't working together professionally anymore

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i'm not even that into jojo and seeing a new stand still gives me a "kid coming downstairs on christmas morning" feeling

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
oh they're hosed

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

TriffTshngo posted:

Having read the entirety of it for the first time in the month between JoJoLands chapters 1 and 2, I don't think having it all available is going to raise many peoples' opinions, or at least not nearly to the degree that sentiment about Part 5 has improved since the anime/better manga translations came out. It has some good stuff in it but by and large it was just underwhelming, unsatisfying, and kind of annoying. My actual thoughts on this are a lot more detailed but I'll summarize my biggest issue: I feel like Part 8 operates on batshit Araki dream logic way more frequently than every other part does, and it wound up detracting from how much I gave a poo poo about the characters or what they were doing. Also Soft & Wet is the worst protagonist stand in the series.

As far as this Part 9 chapter is concerned, I'm going to be honest I could not follow what was happening whatsoever. It was just a mess of strings and the crew screaming explanations and instructions at each other until Best Boy showed up to save the day with the power of.... caviar being expensive, I guess. I need to reread the cleaned up translation of this one.

i'm fuzzy on the details but from what i can tell the lava rock exhibits a variation of pele's curse where items of high value are attracted to it but can't be collected by anyone other than the possessor of the rock (hence why the diamond kept slipping out of the posse's hands before rohan formally gave the rock to jodio). by eating the expensive caviar, the cats became "valuable" and were thus attracted to the rock, but because they were also living beings they couldn't "acquire" the rock and started slipping and sliding as they got closer to it. usagi basically took a curse that normally applied to inanimate objects and transferred it to living beings just to see if it would work

and then he crashed a car into a tree

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
please let Charmingman's stand be called Charmless Man