Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Having fully caught up with this fight, I'd like to propose a hypothesis.

Quotes from 104:

quote:

They're something that does not *exist* in this world... but the fact that they don't "exist" means that they can go beyond reason!

quote:

They can even overcome a `curse`... they can break the Higashikata family curse and Holly-san's curse, too...

quote:

"The lines are spinning". It's because they don't exist in this world that they can surpass it."

quote:

If something that does not exist in this world... does exist somewhere, If there perhaps exists something... that is not affected by the logic of this world...

And we can see that the spinning bubbles apparently creates invisible microbubbles that also spin, something Gappy can't see or even know about. Given that it already struck and wounded Wonder Of U, we know this works and that it follows the rules outlaid above -- that they exist, but not within this universe. Given that the various other final battles throughout the Jojo series have involved time/space in some way, I'm calling my shot: Gappy will defeat Wonder Of U by using the Spin's quantum mechanics and thus strike at Wonder Of U without actually striking at him / pursuing him. Some mixture of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spin_(physics) and the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pauli_exclusion_principle perhaps?

I'm also expecting some sort of parallel universe fuckery to come into play here, as we've already established (twice!) in previous parts (Made in Heaven, D4C) that parallel universes are not only fair game in Jojo but also actively employed, and that Wonder Of U makes an explicit mention of things that don't exist in this world not following this world's logic.

Even if I'm wrong, I think 104 gave us enough clues that, when the twist (spin) is revealed we'll go back and go "yeah we should've guessed":

quote:

1. Wonder Of U cannot be pursued without being punished by [calamity]
1a. No one has ever evaded calamity
1b. Nothing in this world is capable of doing so
2. Things exist that don't exist in this universe
3. Wonder Of U is vulnerable to things that don't obey this-universe's logic
4. Mamezuku recognized this weakness and told Gappy to use it
4a. We've already seen it work, once
5. It involves the Joestar birthmark

That should enough to figure out the mystery, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I'm just bracing for when Soft & Wet inevitably gets localized to『 Moist 』

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I gotta be honest, I'm not too thrilled that the solution to the seemingly impossible metaphysics problem was another Joestar powerup, but it's not like it's the first time this series has done that.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

CodfishCartographer posted:

I thought it was really clever how Josuke instead got the doctor to pursue HIM to get around the stand, but yeah this doesn't feel like "solving" the stand and instead just getting a rando powerup that happens to be exactly what's needed to win. I feel like there were logical ways to beat this stand - cause an "accident" on purpose to bring harm to the doctor without pursuing him, or switching who's pursuing him to redirect calamity until it's too late for him to defend himself, or something like that.

What bugs me extra is that the powerup doesn't even really have much to do with Soft & Wet, it just gives Gappy a straight up offensive attack and we already went through a full JoJo story with that (Tusk). I think there were ways that the bubbles stealing properties could've been used to get around Wonder Of U stipulations, like causing an accident as you suggest.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Basically all of Stardust Crusaders were horror references.

Speaking of SDC and video games, I liked 7th Stand User.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Scum Grappler

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

I always read it as kind of exposing Pucci's hypocrisy and vanity, with some of the religious trappings from part 5 too. Jesus' teachings like "the meek shall inherit the earth" and "suffer the little children" etc etc are fundamentally opposed to Pucci's vision of power, so having an actual kid end him through what seems like divine luck and turning Made in Heaven's ability against him is very fitting. It's the one thing Pucci can't see coming, and thats why he deserves it.

This is actually a really interesting perspective on Pt6's ending, thank you for sharing. As someone who wasn't quite a fan, I now appreciate the thematic context here.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Jojolion 106
https://imgur.com/a/uCk2K3g

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Soft & Wet Go Beyond is pretty cool! I'm looking forward to Cato putting this little bitch down, but I feel like he's going to use what's left of the equivalent exchange to get her Stand or some poo poo.

I agree but I think it'll be the other way around. She's crying, she's just seen her entire family horribly mutilated and dying/dead. I think it'll be Kaato, not Tooru, who takes control of the fusion and uses her Stand ability combined with Wonder Of U to rewrite reality, giving us the flash-forward from the beginning of this arc.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Patware posted:

i'm really laffin' at how long it took josuke to convince yasuho to point her phone at a man

I really feel like that needed some internal panels of her struggling with the idea of killing Tooru. As it is, it just looks like she's clueless.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

grieving for Gandalf posted:

what are we expecting from Wonder of U + Paper Moon King

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEJ8lpCQbyw

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

The seemingly abruptness of this fight is because the back-and-forth was mostly with Wonder Of U, not Tooru.

Mamezuku got so close to him that WoU went "This has never happened before! Not even I know what happens next" and Gappy managed to surprise him several times.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Are we fighting? Right here, right now? On a rainy Wednesday morning? Is this the power of a Stand user?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Okay, so I'm just thinking out loud here a little bit. It's Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. By this point, isn't a regular fusion just ............ regular? We know how the equivalent exchange works, we know what it does. We've seen Josuke/Kira fuse, we saw Gappy fuse again to heal his wounds, we've seen Joshuu and Yasuho exchange to regrow Yasuho's lost arm, etc. And now... Tsurugi and Tooru fuse, no big. Right?

Why would a regular fusion be the big grand twist Araki reveals to cap off Wonder of U? What if something bizarre happens?

Joshuu is right there, already exhibited as willing to fuse, freaking out about his stub arm, and selfish and impulsive enough to interrupt something he has no clue about. Could we get a three-way fusion?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Aurora posted:

Wonder of Stew

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

That was weirdly drawn out and yet at the same time weirdly abrupt. Pretty art but I dunno how satisfying of an outcome that was.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I wonder if there's some Paper Moon shenanigans going on? How did Gappy show up that quickly? A couple chapters ago he was sending the Spin+ through Yasuho's phone, and in-universe it's been like maybe 5 minutes since then.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

DemoneeHo posted:

The only thing that needs addressing now is Holly's fate.

Oh that's a great point, if the Rokakaka is actually destroyed (which I don't believe for a moment) then Holly's curse can't be cured. Yeah I'm more convinced there's Paper Moon shenanigans going on, especially after the fusion. There should've been *something* of Tooru's fused with Tsurugi, figures it'd be his Stand.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Rereading the chapter, more closely... Tooru ate the fruit prior to first contact, but then Kaato feeds rokakaka sap to Tsurugi, which is apparently what sends the exchange into overdrive. It looks like at first Tooru began pulling something (presumably the curse) from Tsurugi. After Tsurugi was fed sap, he began pulling from Tooru too at the same time. It's at the exact moment Tsurugi opens his eyes that Tooru dies and has his dying memory of the hornet.

Having finished the reread, I thought maybe I'm wrong, maybe this really was played straight, Gappy does show up to oraora Wonder of U Remnant into bits and it's a happy ending.

I went back to look at the flash-forward (chapter 83 (holy gently caress)). The big narration here IMMEDIATELY caught my eye as the language mirrors Yasuho's narration from today's chapter, particularly the part about "shape of one's heart"...:

In particular the 4th page there (page 22) reads like it's strongly implying that Tsurugi's Stand has evolved/will evolve.

The paper frog lurking in Norisuke's body bag in pretty much the exact same position as Wonder of U is real interesting.

Also, incidentally, while digging through past chapters of Jojolion, I happened to reread the Vitamin C fight and the flashback in color for the first time and it's so good wow.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I would be very surprised if Jojolion ended without revisiting the Wall Eyes one last time or without getting a second fusion character to go alongside Gappy.

SKULL.GIF fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jun 18, 2021

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Amgard posted:

You're like Yasuho and you implicitly trust the sneaky little poo poo no matter what he tells you.

Even when he's repeatedly shown he uses Paper moon king to gently caress with our perception of events before later reconstituting them. Which was a think the Flashforward set up.

Araki is remembering so hard rn.

During the early parts of Wonder of U, Tsurugi uses PMK to make it look like Jobin and Tsurugi were dying horribly of massive blood loss, instead of a few glass splinters.

I think it's going to turn out to be either Norisuke or Jobin is flat out dead and the other one is barely grasping to life, and Tsurugi is going to try to fuse the two. We combine King Nothing and Speed King and get King Crimson Red-Hot King in the Higashikata Court.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I'll believe it when I see it.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Even if I put aside being dissatisfied with Tooru as the final antagonist or from wanting to see more about the Wall Eyes, I just don't know how this could possibly end without resolving Holly and explaining what the gently caress was with the flash-forward. Two chapters for all of that seems unusually abrupt.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Seen on reddit:

quote:

Chapter 109 Fumi-kun is SBR Joseph Joestar, and the biological dad of Josefumi Kujo, evidence:

• Fumi mentions he's 17, and the flashback takes place in 1941, which means he was born in 1924, which is the year SBR Joseph was born according to the family tree in chapter 11
  • Fumi gets his wallet stolen in his introduction, just like Joseph got his wallet stolen by smokey at the start of battle tendency
  • Fumi also enters a car with an elderly woman (Lucy Steel) just like Joseph was in a car with Erina Joestar

Which means:

• Josefumi's biological dad is most likely Joseph/Fumi and not Sadafumi Kujo, since Fumi was 67 when Josefumi was born (which also correlates with Joseph having Josuke at age 65), that explains the divorce papers that Kiyomi had in her bag in the Vitamin C arc (She cheated on Sadafumi Kujo, reverse from the OG universe where Joseph cheated on Suzi Q with Tomoko), this also explains Josefumi's birthmark, since he is a descendent of the Joestar family, since Joseph is Johnny's grandson.
  • This means that Josefumi is partially Kira's uncle, since with Joseph being his dad, he is Holy's half brother (just like how Josuke was Holy's half brother in part 4), and Holy is Kira's mom. (Another thing i noticed, if you call Kira 8 Jotaro's SBR counterpart, since he's holy's son, that means that Kira fused with his uncle, Josefumi, AND THAT IT'S A COUNTERPART TO JOSUKE BEING JOTARO'S UNCLE IN PART 4)

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

So the guard rail eats people, right? I guess now we know where the bite marks come from.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

If that comes off, I'm gonna find the person who came up with it and start a loving religion in their name, because it's such a long shot.

It's not really that much of a stretch, look closely at Fumi's clothing and bag on the first page.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

It has eyes, explaining the Wall Eyes. It has teeth, explaining the bite marks. Gappy is Josefumi Kujo and Yoshikage Kira combined, explaining all the weird physical stuff on him.

We weirdly have a lot of the mystery already explained now.

Also why Gappy is naked when Yasuho finds him.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Kono raDio gaga!

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

TheLoneStar posted:

I decided to reread JoJolion since it's ending next month, and I gotta say I really miss Josuke needlessly stating the exact measurement of objects and distances.

Gappy kinda gets flattened out as the story goes on, he was really weird in a neat Araki way in the first half of Part 8.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I would've liked to see Norisuke get an actual fight, I really wanted to see what he would do with King Nothing.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Vookatos posted:

And there was way more! I read it a while ago, so some poo poo I forgot the names or specifics of (like that big "boyfriend" fella who broke chairs with his rear end).

I'm a little surprised you're hazy on Vitamin C because that was probably the high water mark of the entire arc for me. I encourage you to go back and reread it in one go (flashback included), especially in color.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Part 9 will feature luchadores. Stands will manifest as masks.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Dragon's Dream was the beta version of Wonder Of U.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

There's also stuff like Damo using dollar bills as a weapon.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Grouchio posted:

What was Gappy's best fight in Jojolion - and was it anywhere near the finale?

I'm going to be unorthodox and say that his best fight is against Ojiro Sasame and Fun Fun Fun.

It's a very unconventional fight that nevertheless has one of the best Stand reveals in the whole series (Shhh... Soft.. & Wet..), a cool and strange mystery (is this actually Yoshikage Kira?!), a bunch of twists and gambits, and ends with Gappy pummeling Ojiro while repeatedly telling Yasuho to look over there. Also Ojiro ate his own fingers, drat.

If the rest of Jojolion had been up to that standard I think it would've been unquestionably the best arc.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I figure it's just Araki drawing social commentary on real life people ignoring crazy poo poo happening right under their noses.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Wilson Phillips did nothing wrong

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I hope JOJOLAND is set in a theme park and all the Stands are rides.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

How long were the pauses between SO and SBR, and SBR and JJL?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Tooru REALLY was 89 years old all this time?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I'll be honest, 3-4 months ago Jojolion seemed like it was going to be a disaster, but these final two chapters managed to land the arc onto its feet. Pleasantly impressed.