Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

His acceptance speech where he annihilated what was left of Billy Gunn's credibility turned him face

But even then, they had Christian doing the standard heel King routine behind Edge’s back so like with Bret, they had a pre-planned angle where they could use the king gimmick without it coming off dickish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Pope Corky the IX posted:

The Patriot is so loving baffling to me. I wasn't watching around that time, I picked up again in late '98 or so, and I'm pretty sure I never heard about him until a few years ago. And then when I still had the Network I watched a few '97 Raws and he was all over the program for about six months, then completely disappeared. What the hell was that all about?

He had the perfect gimmick to act as a foil to Bret’s “America sucks” show so he got the main event push like an old Hogan villain. Then he suffered a big injury just before Survivor Series and just disappeared.

He wound up retiring because of it, but it would up containing his entire run in one gigantic angle that’s been super awkward for the WWE to show so there’s no reason for him to ever get talked about or shown unless you are specifically looking for Hart content.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

For the capitalization part, how much of it is just westerners overthinking things? Like TAKA looks cooler than Taka so that’s what he writes it as. The fact that it looks weird to native English speakers and might need an explanation might not even have occurred to him when deciding to go romanji.

Like how westerners have dumbass Chinese calligraphy tats that makes no sense to people that can read it but it looks cool.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

sk posted:

I do like the implication that there were Age Outlaws though. Hogan and Piper around that time maybe?

A stable with Lawler and most of the speaking out thread.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

The best part about the Hart Foundation was that the angle was self sustaining and they could have kept it going indefinitely without getting too stale. They just needed to pop into Canada every once in awhile and the nuclear face heat and the crowd would get riled up on their return too.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Nostradingus posted:

In wrestle logic, what's the rationale for a wrestler's theme music playing when they do an unexpected run-in? Do they inform the sound guy first, or are the wrestlers implanted with RFID chips that cue up their music when they enter?

Presumably even in Kayfabe there’s people at Gorilla to cue people’s entry for regular appearances and they’d still be there to see people running past to hit the sound board or call the booth or whatever. Now if we do assume there’s actual production staff behind the scenes, why there isn’t any security stopping people from running in is another story.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

It should be closer to oo-rah-NAH-geh.

Rule of thumb is that Japanese syllables break at the vowel so u-ra-na-ge. Unlike Enligh, the syllables always sound the same so once you know, you don’t have to guess. Like the U is always pronounced like oo in boot.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

a cyborg mug posted:

Technically the Japanese ”u” is a bit closer to something like the German ”ü” than the English ”oo” but yeah

Thanks. I thought the oo didn’t sound quite right but I couldn’t put my finger on a better sound in English.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Hirez posted:

Steiner bros gotta be up there, I don't think they ever feuded?

Didn't they feud for a bit after Scott turned and joined the nwo?

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

Being the worst champion ever is a real accomplishment in a sport with records going back over 220 years.

His sumo career was pretty pro wrestlingesque in the politics behind his push and eventual firing. He only got the spot due to an older dude retiring and the bookers deciding they needed someone they could promote as the guy. He got picked as he was a young dude who was doing pretty darn well and had all the makings of a star but hadn’t quite earned it (like Shield Roman).

He was probably already a dick, but it really went to his head and he actually had the power to act on it with the promotion. And since he couldn’t live up to the hype in the ring, they cut bait rather than deal with it when they could and since sumo is a one promotion world, jumping to puro is the closest thing to jumping from promotion to promotion after burning bridges.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

The WWE wishes Roman was the Rock and Rock could 1000% have made the post Shield Roman push work.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

DeathChicken posted:

The New Jack episode was interesting mainly for it becoming apparent that no one knows when New Jack is telling the truth or lying about something, least of all New Jack

IIRC New Jack was briefly in Beyond the Mat and in the directors commentary, the guy talked about how personally charismatic he found New Jack, but couldn’t use him as much as he wanted to because he couldn’t trust what he was saying to go in a documentary.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

The long term fallout from the HBK to WCW alt-history would be huge. Does HHH take the Davey’s role and follow Shawn? Even if he stays, does he get the Steph angle if he’s on the losing side of the Kliq/Hart passing match?

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Edge and Christian were pretty boring as Brood/Ministry minions until they ditched Gangrel and did their thing with the Hardys and Dudleys.

But then they went heel again with the 5-second pose thing and got even more popular.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Which of these would be worst?

- Ric Flair in the NWO
- Hulk Hogan in the Four Horsemen
- Bret Hart in De-generation X
- Shawn Michaels in The Hart Foundation

The nwo had the weakest identity of the groups so while a Flair-led nwo would look different than the one we remember, it would still be a functional group that you could coherently book since the nwo changing in character isn’t that big of a deal.

Hogan wouldn’t work because any group he’s a part of turns into Hogan’s group and while a Hogan and 3 bad rear end buddies watching his back might work as a group, it wouldn’t be the Horsemen.

I don’t know what Bret would actually do in DX and he’d probably be bad at it, but assuming you could convince him to do it in the first place, he’d probably at least give it an honest try on screen even if he’d be grumbling about it behind the scenes.

The Hart Foundation is the hardest to incorporate any outsider - not just Michaels - into because of the real family aspect of the group. You’d have to do a short term angle with something like Michaels dating a Hart sister and reluctantly joining just to overcome the huge amount of suspension of disbelief required just to get him into the group in the first place.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Davros1 posted:

As mentioned, Rikishi held the WWF World Tag Team belt as "Fatu" of The Headshrinkers, and then later as the Rikishi we know and love.

Cactus Jack sort of held the WWF World Tag title with Terry Funk (as Chainsaw Charlie), though the win was held up; he also held it as Mankind and Dude Love.

I don’t think these two count. Rikishi was Rikishi Fatu/Phatu so he was always the same guy with a different character. If he won as Sultan, that would probably count. Same with Mick and his various gimmicks.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

SatoshiMiwa posted:

If you only ever watched the Bushwackers and not the Sheep Herders than seeing that they got a 5 star match would probably count

Yeah, from a WWE/F only fan perspective, the Bushwhackers are a lot more surprising than Kaientai. Even though they were both comedy jobbers, Kaientai, especially Taka, did some cool poo poo that if you told someone that they had awesome matches in Japan it would be believable. By the time they got to the WWF, the Bushwhackers were already old and couldn’t/weren’t booked to show any of the style that got them famous.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Web Jew.0 posted:

Year 1: let’s just pretend to wrestle we’ll get hurt less
Year 2: let’s add a little razzle dazzle to our matches to make em more exciting
Year 3: let’s have a reverse ladder match where the winner gets to gently caress my wife

Year 1 probably also involved a lot of match fixing for gambling purposes.

Also back in the old days, professional sports were crude affairs that were looked down upon and amateur sports were pure and gentlemanly (see Olympics and NCAA) so pro was less an earned title and more of an insult.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

I think I remember an interview where someone (Foley?) was talking about Funk’s acting roles and they said Funk would diligently chase those jobs during his career so that he could qualify for SAG and get health insurance.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

NWO has like a billion reigns if you include all the different factions and incarnations, people joining on a weekly basis and general WCW bullshitery with the belts like the finger poke where they just move the belts amongst themselves.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Has there ever been a tag team or stable reunion that actually worked? Every version of the nWo, DX, Shield, etc that I can think of past the first paled in comparison.

Does the Hart Foundation count? The full Bret/Owen/Davey/Anvil/Pillman version was a hell of a lot cooler than the original Bret/Anvil team and all the other various tag team pairings that ran at different times.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Was the gimmick of jobber upset to underdog face planned for Waltman? Like did they sign him as a young prospect knowing the 123 kid arc of lose a couple matches while looking better than a real jobber and then upset someone good to start his “real” career was in the works?

Or did they just want a jobber upset and Kid/Razor just happened to be there and willing to do it and it turned out well so they ran with it?

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Verne Gagne is probably the saddest wrestling killer. Suffering from Alzheimer’s in his 80s, he was in a nursing home and got in a fight with another old man and killed him but had no idea what he did because of dementia.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Bluedeanie posted:

Between the movie theater previews and the hellish dystopian gas pump advertisement screens, Maria Menounos is a woman who in my mind is exclusively famous for appearing in places where I'd rather not see her. It has come to my attention recently that she has wrestled in WWE. Does the same hold true for her there or is she actually good enough at it that her presence on screen is not irksome and vexatious?

IIRC, she was just inoffensively there. Her first appearance was as a celebrity guest host for Raw so she came in just as herself rather than any sort of wrestling personality.

So I guess if you don’t like her for whatever reason, you probably wouldn’t like her in WWE since she was basically just herself doing her regular celebrity interview job and just got out in a couple feuds because she was a name outside of wrestling that was willing to do it.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Penguin Patrol posted:

I thought it was a fictional drug from Brave New World until I learned that it was nonfictional too

I knew it was a real world thing, but I thought it was a slang name for some sort of street drug because why the gently caress would a real company name their product soma?

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Bulldog, Austin and Owen are the big singles matches. For Owen and Austin, it's probably worth watching the whole series as there's fun long term storytelling that you might miss out on if you just watch the classic matches.

HBK is worth watching just for historical context, but again, it would help to watch the leadup too.

The Canadian Stampede IYH match is worth watching just to experience the crowd.

The Benoit Nitro match is weird. It was a great match, but an Owen tribute match vs. Benoit might be a little off-putting for people.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Shard posted:

Did Austin ever beat Bret? To me the perfect guy for Austin to beat for his world title would have been Bret but that obviously didn't happen

Yeah, there's a non-Montreal world where Austin destroying the sanctimonious prick Bret at WM 98 would have been huge.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

forkboy84 posted:

Oh, apparently I missed that Shane McMahon has not 1, not 2 but 3 matches at 4 or over, so maybe it's him. I still think Nick Aldis is a contender.

I don't think Shane was that bad of a wrestler. Well, young Shane, I didn't watch any of his more recent matches. He was a very limited guy who would absolutely have been exposed if he tried a regular schedule, but he knew what he brought to the table, knew what the people wanted to see and was always ready to deliver (him getting hurt in spectacular ways), and was pretty good at in ring storytelling (looking like he got beat to poo poo).

I always knew what to expect when he had a match on the card and usually delivered and was fun. I'd much rather watch him than guys who are technically better trained but boring as hell.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Bossman was a corrupt southern cop/prison guard.
Kane murdered his family and Katie Vick.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Alaois posted:

one of my favorite crusty old bitch things is when people complain that forearms and chops and whatever don't look "legit" and then talk about how wrestlers in the 80s throwing giant theatrical wind up punches while stomping their feet on the mat to make noise was the greatest thing they've ever seen

Bret thought chops were a lovely move for pro wrestling because the whole point of working is to do stuff that looks like it hurts but doesn't so just chopping a guy hard is the opposite of what you should be doing.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

How do refs get started? Do wrestling schools have ref classes?

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

Yeah, it's not so much that doing things differently would be a technical challenge, but that getting rid of Dunn means gutting and replacing an entire department, which is a much bigger ask than firing a department head that nobody likes.

Yeah, there's like a billion producers looking for work in Hollywood. All WWE needs to do is ask any of their contacts at Fox/NBC for a reccomendation and they'd get a list of candidates to pick from with whatever experience they want (if they want sports guys, drama/sitcom guys, etc). And places like Full Sail pump out enough new peeps that they could restart the department easily with people who are technically proficient.

The problem is probably that things are probably set up in a crazy manner that everything is just catalogued in Dunn's brain or with a crazy system that only he knows so no one can find anything or they use some lovely proprietary products and software that only 3 people in the world remember how to program for and it would take a long time/money/efot to migrate.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Gavok posted:

I would have it show what really happened, but with the contrast of Hogan reminiscing via narration.

It would also have to include that moment in court where he explained how Hulk Hogan has a bigger schlong than Terry Bollea.

Hulk and Bollea as completely different actors complete with conversations between each other Fight Club style except it's not a twist and everyone knows he's nuts.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

WWE's been travelling country wide for so long that they know what they can do where so it doesn't come up because they just know what to work around (and probably who to bribe)

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Punch McLightning posted:

Curt Hennig, Randy Savage, Rick Rude, Bubba Rogers, Louie Spicolli, Dusty Rhodes, Brian Adams, and nWo Japan member Big Titan are also deceased.

Also Miss Elizabeth if non-wrestling members count.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Were 5 second pose Edge and Christian too good to be pure comedy characters? I guess they were always booked as a legit great tag team that was funny rather than funny guys that got good.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Lid posted:

Ron Reese is kind of fascinating because I'm not sure any other company has had a seven foot wrestler that was used just as a jobber. He wasn't even used as a how can anyone beat Reece? The world's ostentatious giant loser.

Kurgan from Truth Commission/Oddities?

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Shard posted:

More wrestlers should transition to stunt coordinators and fight choreographers.

I was watching some behind the scenes thing with the fight guy on a Rock movie and he was talking about how great working with him was because he could just go through the whole the whole scene and not need to worry about breaking it down move by move or rehearsing it a billion times like he had to with most actors. Rock was like "if I can do 30 minutes live at WM, I'd better be able to do a 2 minute fight scene".

Isn't Road Agent just fight coordinator for guys that don't/can't call a match in the ring?

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

I've always said the 2 axis of wrestling moves are 'looks good/looks like poo poo and 'hurts like a mfer/light as a feather'

I think that's the standard Bret used to use to define good working as the "Looks good, Light as a feather" quadrant and why he thought Flair-style chops were bullshit pro-wrestling moves because they legit hurt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

There might also be a bit of hurting yourself is fine because you're just a dumbass, but don't hurt your partner because that makes you an rear end in a top hat.