Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Does OSW ever stop doing slurs/racism/misogyny/rape jokes? I like the videos otherwise and this poo poo is really wearing on my nerves.
For the last few videos they seemed to have stopped reflexively saying how hot they think every woman they mention is. So much so I wondered if it was a conscious decision. They're still OSW though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

Billy Gunn’s famasser gets called with the same name when other people do it. Was the move originally called the Famouser and got an rear end Pun attached? Did someone else name it?

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

What is the general feeling around WWE's original brand split? The WWE news thread reminded me discussion about the decline of the Attitude Era/Invasion/Austin's heel turn are well covered these days, but I never see too many opinions about the act of the brand split itself - almost a year after their hottest Wrestlemania ever they totally changed the product, and it's the main thing I think about when I think about what put me off WWE at the time. Raw obviously amplified Triple H's problems and bringing Bischoff in was a smart move but at the time it was too close to latter day WCW for comfort. Even when Smackdown was having great matches with the Smackdown 6, I couldn't get past the weird feeling that I was watching this compromised product with a limited roster, tag teams like the Hardys and Dudleys broken up on a whim. (Watching some random Raw/Smackdowns from this period just seem to have such a small roster on each show)

It's a big dumb mark thing to say, but it felt like there wasn't a true champion any more.

I'm sure there's a few Ruthless Aggression era podcasts out there (I'll take any recommendations)! I read a lot of forums and just so rarely encounter anyone's feelings about the inital brand split and if it affected their view of WWE.

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

smikey posted:

The Network isn't sold though, it's just not available in the US and Canada

edit: and if I remember, Vince still owns like 50% of the total voting rights with his special class of stocks.
Has there been a release of the Network subscribers since the Peacock deal? It seemed in the past that non-US numbers were negligable

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I can't agree at all on JBL, to me it's just as bad as it ever was if not somehow worse. Fully agree with Austin though. It might have been terrible for business, but drat if he didn't do some of his best character work at that time, as well as have some of his best matches post-neck injury (though said matches were with the likes of Benoit and Angle, who I guess most people would struggle to have a bad match with in their primes).

I feel like a lot of people have warmed up to Cena's run in light of WWE's past few years, though obviously this largely just applies to Internet fans.
Lead on question from this:

Is there anything that specifically points to heel Austin being something that killed the business? Business didn't suffer much with his departure after '99, and arguably got better with The Rock as the top guy and a roster of up and coming talent. I'm curious if it was really Austin turning that turned away a significant part of the audience, or if it was really the weird chaos of the Invasion angle where you have a fake WCW staffed by big WWE names, a sudden wash of WCW talent that was getting simultaneously pushed and shat on.

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

My hot take was that the Firefly Funhouse match was a letdown. Cool idea with cool aspects but the thrust was "How embarrassing that you've had an extremely successful career John" and Cena wearing an nWo shirt which was nothing to do with anything.

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

It's difficult to imagine anything else. There was money and talent to keep TNA alive for 20 years, you've had ROH for 20 years and there's been nothing close.

I think you needed a bunch of things coming together like:
- CM Punk, Daniel Bryan, The Shield, NXT et al. igniting a new layer of interest in wrestling fans/lapsed fans returning
- NJPW Bullet Club giving US wrestlers a chance to become prestegious stars outside of WWE
- WWE systematically squeezing the goodwill out of all the renewed interest
- Rise of indies with streaming services, hot crowd moments to share on social media, and a audience then has a big appetite for non-WWE style
- Tony Khan being uniquely position with the money and being obsessed with wrestling

Without a bunch of those things coming together, it's hard to imagine anything growing. I don't like the old phrase "Wrestling is a cyclical business" because it implies that upturns are just inevitable and they'll just eventually roll in. If AEW hadn't kicked off you could just happily have WWE producing Entertainment Content for all eternity with no comparable ratings draw.

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

Manwithastick posted:

I would love to hear some experiences with betting on wrestling - if you follow this as closely as I imagine we mostly do it seems like a daily easy thing to win at surely? That said I remember a guy betting his home on an undertaker WM match the year he lost to lesner
The last time I bet on wrestling was for the Orton vs Mahal championship match.

Orton was 7/1 and I figured “it can’t be that certain that Mahal is going to win?”. So many people had the same idea and Orton became the favourite. I then put a bet on Mahal to win and either would guarantee a decent profit. Looking back, it’s not unlike WWE to have a double DQ on a PPV.

I also seem to remember Skybet just throwing up their hands in 2014 when Daniel Bryan didn’t appear in the Royal Rumble and just refunding people, even though they take all sorts of wildcard rumble bets.

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

History Comes Inside! posted:

It could be worse, late 90s/Early 00s britwres was wall to wall with even less imaginative WWE ‘tribute’ gimmicks.

Some shows skipped over the tribute part and just straight up advertised it as if it was the real deal.
I went to a date on this tour as it was the only time wrestling was going to come to my hometown. Yes, that poster is exactly how they looked.

There was a hardcore match and a bunch of small children rushed the ring and started playing with the weapons.

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

Benne posted:

I would argue that Mark Henry never got good
The unsaid thing about his legendary fake retirement is that it was entirely believable that he'd suddenly retire with no buildup in the middle of a Raw episode.

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

Most people get away with sexual abuse allegations. I think Enzo only fully got in trouble because he didn’t properly report it to the office. He was also very unpopular backstage to boot.

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

Dr. Quarex posted:

I remember the first time Nash defended his actions by saying "someone had to break the streak" I thought to myself "I feel like Goldberg basically won the title and then Nash beat him immediately," and if that was seriously all his big-time defenses then that pretty much confirms it. I guess by 1998 standards having three title defenses was not that short, but uh, yeah, he probably should have beaten someone besides DDP who had actually held the belt before. Wait and DDP had not held it yet, ugh
Nash is the smartest guy in wrestling, I'm happy he was able to buy a nice family house in the neighbourhood he grew up in and all the somas he could eat etc etc etc

but he also worked to poison the well and poo poo up the product week after week so he can gently caress off to his guest bedroom for all I care

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

The Grey posted:

I meant "freak out" as in "Yes!!! Jay White is here!" While I am thinking "Who the hell is Jay White?"

I am always surprised by the crowd reaction that NJPW guys get and wish they would do vignettes to explain why they are a big deal.

If I am in the m in minority though and most fans know who they are, I will shut up about it.
The problem with making that a rationale is that no casual fan will ever be in a position to start watching any wrestling promotion. Their skulls will cave in after they are barraged with unfamiliar after unfamilar person as they futily ask "How much does this guy weigh?"

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

Defenestrategy posted:

I mean if Austin stays face he does what? Feud with HHH and delay Jericho and Benoits main event push, such as it was, because the power trip doesn't happen and HHH doesn't have his quad blow out?
I agree. I think people overlook that Austin’s face return was a terrible feud against heel Rikishi which is perhaps a sign that everything was quickly running out of steam in WWF.

As bad as WCW had been in 2000, and as much fantasy booking of the Invasion you can do, I don’t think there’s any way around the audience loss that goes from Nitro dying. American wrestling gets cut in half overnight. The brand split years later is a band aid on a missing arm.

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

I've heard it said a few times that Owen Hart was supposed to be "The Game" rather than Triple H. His first use of "The Game" in a promo was the month after Owen died. Is there anything to this? I don't even think the game is a gimmick, it's just a moniker. Unless Owen was going to gain lots of muscle mass, marry Stephanie and cut 20 minute promos?

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

What was the deal with Ken Shamrock's WWE departure?

I know he leaves in September 1999, but the reason I ask is that he still appears in the first PS1 Smackdown game in Summer 2000, and also WWF No Mercy which released in late 2000. The game has him purchasable, along with Shawn Michaels, and it's known now that Shawn was still on the cards for a return around the time.

Shamrock still appearing in 2000 games, when other people were aggressively being removed from them, either suggests that Shamrock still had an active WWE contract but was allowed to go back to MMA, or his contract was expired but WWE was still trying to court him back? I wondered if he had a conditional release to prevent WCW making an offer.

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

Ganso Bomb posted:

My whole life has been a lie
They do the 2000 Royal Rumble finish storyline, but put RICHARDS in the role of Big Show.

Later on people conflate this into a joke that Chris Benoit gets replaced by Steven Richards in the history books.

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Why was Orton vs Edge at Backlash billed as the Greatest Wrestling Match Ever TM?
Their match at Wrestlemania was widely regarded as extremely boring, so they decided to have a rematch and stick it to the IWC haters/dirtsheets? by asserting it would be Greatest.

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

WCW 9/11 Tribute
ECW 9/11 Tribute

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Cole is crazy underappreciated. Everything people hate about him is someone else's fault that he gets to be the public face of. He produces the commentary across the brands including NXT and can call an actual wrestling match if ordered to.

He's a company man who's willing to produce garbage, but that order isn't his call.
I was thinking about this being the line on Cole in recent years, but I don’t have to respect proficiency and hard work when it produces thousands of hours of insincere, patronising stuff.

Yes, he’s better when he doesn’t have Vince in his ear, you’d like to think he’s capable, but he’s spent 25 years with Vince in his ear, at what point is he complicit in his own poor quality output?

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Roman probably work-rate wise and conditioning is a better worker than Rock in his Prime but he has nowhere near the in ring charisma the Rock had in his prime
Rock did a good iron man match for his size, and I don't remember him struggling to lift anyone. Rock was limited but I thought he always did what he did well, except the sharpshooter.

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

Sandman from ECW posted:

As mentioned earlier they didn’t even have to do it in Montreal, they could have done it before or even weeks after. There’s a lot of things that don’t add up.

Also it’s really cool that Bret spelled WCW backwards from his perspective so it would read correctly for the audience. Most people probably would have hosed that up in the heat of the moment. Unless it was something he had thought about before…

:tinfoil: :tinfoil: :tinfoil:
They really teach you how to work the hardcam in the dungeon

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

I thought Cactus Jack seemed cool as a kid but stopped paying attention to fake wrestling nonsense for years. I got back into it later and found out that he was now a guy that wore a leather mask and a shirt and tie for no discernable reason, and this seemed totally fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

C. Everett Koop posted:

At least he did that. Foley just yelled spots in the middle of all his other incoherent yelling.

Never heard that, unless a clothesline is called Aht Daht Chow Chow