Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Hayabusa?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
At what point did amateur wrestling and pro wrestling get their names? Obviously what we call amateur wrestling is real and has been around for thousands of years so how did the carny pro wrestling business manage to get the naming convention changed?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
In Japan in the 90s there was a promotion (maybe W*ING?) that had all these horror movie character wrestler gimmicks like Super Leather (Leatherface), Jason the Terrible (Jason Voorhees) and some kind of lovely fat Freddie Krueger. I seem to recall a coffin match between two different versions of Jason lol

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Raven and DDP were in a Stuck Mojo video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0NpeWe5sGk

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Gavok posted:

One of my favorite obscure wrestler TV appearances is All Star Rock 'n' Wrestling Saturday Spectacular. Back in the day, networks would sometimes do TV specials based entirely around promoting the upcoming Saturday morning cartoon season. Like having Steve Urkel tell Carl Winslow about the new episodes of Winnie the Pooh, followed by a clip of the show.

In 1985 they went bonkers with it. The plot was that Fantasy Island's Hervé Villechaize was supposed to get his own talk show, but somehow Roddy Piper locked him out of the building and took over. So you get an hour of Roddy Piper hosting a talk show with such guests as Pee-Wee Herman, Patti LaBelle, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, New Edition, etc. Just so every few minutes, someone like Captain Lou could go, "Here's a clip from Muppet Babies!"

I'm old enough to remember this and it was awesome to my little self

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Nehru the Damaja posted:

How can I both learn what 90s AJPW matches are crucial to appreciating the period and then actually watch them?

Watch this and then start clicking recommended videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdAVWuR7x5w

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Quinntan posted:

What is the best drawing comedy gimmick?

Danhausen

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

MassRafTer posted:

Nigel McGuinness turning heel by getting Bryan Danielson to agree to an ROH title match with no strikes to the head (the bad ROH fans turned on Nigel because he missed a match with a concussion) and then repeatedly striking Bryan Danielson's head.

Nigel was so incredibly loving awesome

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
So I keep reading that Will Osprey is a huge piece of poo poo. What did he do?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

oldpainless posted:

Jeff Jarretts catchphrase was him spelling his own name in an annoying way. That tells you everything you need to know about him.

What makes it even worse is that he was ripping off Dolly Parton with that. Dolly may not have been the first person to spell names and cities and states like that but she was doing it way before JJ did.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

poemdexter posted:

This surprises me, but I don't really know the difference between Vince the character versus Vince the owner besides what I am told. The whole wrestling world is still very new to me and all the info I get is from fiancee who is more than willing to look the other way wrt people doing bad things as long as she likes the person/brand.

You'd probably enjoy reading this thread then

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3991949

Oh wait I see you posted in there. Go back and read the effortposts

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
WCW was a big stupid mess and I would guess the main two reasons for giving Savage new music was to set him apart from his WWF years and also to make something copyrighted that they could sell on WCW entrance music records and license out to other entities that wanted to use it

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

I've never seen this picture before. What's it from?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Gorilla Monsoon was billed from Manchuria? lol

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Hoss Corncave posted:

Unless you're Ivelisse where it's apparently the most important thing along with mandatory respect to the veterans.

Except that she doesn't have to respect people who have been in the business longer because

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Spuckuk posted:

Not only do they wrestle more, and a stiffer style, they generally start younger as well.

Mei Suruga is 22 and has wrestled 468 matches.

Starlight Kid is 20 and has over 400 matches

Riho being the most extreme outlier, had her first match at age 9, and at 24 has 979 matches under her belt, more than Roman Reigns.

And this is one of many reasons people should watch joshi promotions if they can. Stardom and TJPW are awesome

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

SatoshiMiwa posted:

AEW really needs a crossover star/guest that could get people that normally wouldn't watch wrestling watching and following the product but given how splintered everything is with Streaming/niche interests I'm not sure what that would be. They tried it with Shaq, Snoop Dog and Tyson and it helped somewhat but it still wasn't a major home run.

I dunno. Maybe it's just me but I always hated the non-wrestler celebrity guests, regardless of whether WWE or WCW did it. It always came across to me as a very obvious ploy to get non-wrestling fans to care about wrestling and I don't remember it ever really paying off big. I'm cool with them bringing in a like a local sports star or something to cut a short promo or something but I really hate it when they try to do more than that, with a few exceptions. For whatever reason I thought it was hilarious and awesome that Rosario Dawson of all people was put on TV as the audience member who talked poo poo at Malakai Black and then jumped on his back to stop his from doing whatever. But most of the time bringing in a celebrity guest feels like the equivalent of someone wearing the local sports team jersey during their entrance to get a cheap pop. It feels insulting but again maybe that's just me.

To answer the original question though I think they just need to keep doing what they're doing on Dynamite and give it time. Rampage really needs to be moved to a different day and time though. I personally don't mind it but the ratings for Friday night have a ceiling and it would be cool if AEW could move it to a slot with more potential for growth.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Gonna remind everyone that AEW wrestlers are all in different contracts. They're not all the same. They're asked to give AEW show dates priority over their other bookings but if someone like Hikaru Shida needs to fly back and forth to Japan in order to do Makai shows and work some TJPW dates or whatever they let her. Same with people like Mox. Mox works a ton of indie shows.

It's OK for people to be off TV for a while and for storylines to go slower. I totally understand why the slower pace of stories can be annoying. Malakai Black misted Julia Hart literally months ago and we're only now just seeing that story move on because of injuries and other factors. People have to be on TV when it makes sense and they have such a huge roster that not everyone can be on TV every week. That's what the Dark shows are for.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Suplex Liberace posted:

I worry about peoples memory and hearing in this forum.

Me too

Sometimes my own

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
One of the things that's great about the G1 and Cinderella tournaments (among others) is that there are usually a couple upsets and I wish AEW had more of those. I don't want upsets to be overused (especially because AEW would book them all as surprise rollups or some stupid poo poo) but the only "anything can happen" vehicle they have is the TNT title

It would be really nice if these Owen tournaments had at least one big solid upset as a way to start building someone up from the midcard

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I honestly found KOR going over JB was a bit of an upset.

That's fair

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Why does pudding brain JR refer to Ricky Starks as Ricky Stocks? It's obvious that he's doing it intentionally and it sounds like he means it as an insult but what's he talking about?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Thanks for the answer

JR is weird

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Dr. Quarex posted:

I will never forget having Colt Cabana hyped up to me as hilarious and my first time seeing him being the Chicago Ring of Honor blowoff match against Homicide

"He's like the funniest indy guy!" *murders a man*

Was that the cage match? My memory is hazy but I remember seeing Homicide in a cage match at an ROH show and I'm pretty sure it was the blowoff to a feud

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

EdsTeioh posted:

I haven't watched any actual GLOW in a while, but from what I remember, she was one of few that was actually good in-ring.

She was Tina Ferrari and you are correct

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
3 people on commentary is too much

Give me Gorilla Monsoon and Bobby Heenan or Gorilla Monsoon and Jesse Ventura

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Cavauro posted:

ventura keeps on making GBS threads on excalibur for not being in the ring and excalibur mentions a match he was in where something similar happened to whatever he was talking about. ventura says, "horse poo poo" afterward, uncensored. that's a good bit to do over and over. horse poo poo

Yeah that's good

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

CommonShore posted:

I didn't follow it that closely when it happened but reading recaps makes me think that the WCW treated heel/face turns as the plot rather than as reconfiguration when plots ran out of steam.

That's kinda right but it was also Russo and Bischoff constantly freaking out and desperately trying to keep the WCW ship from sinking

Every week was just car crash TV. Stupid swerves for the sake of having a swerve. Heel turns just for the shock value. As someone else said, they did a really good job of making Nitro and Thunder into shows where you never really knew what was going to happen, but it didn't matter because all the surprises and shocks were just stupid bullshit nonsense

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Stone Cold pulled a gun on Vince once, right in the middle of the ring. He actually pulled the trigger and it was one of those fake guns where a little flag pops out and it says "BANG!" on it and Vince passed out from fear

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Ganso Bomb posted:

I thought he pissed his pants from fear?

It's possible I'm misremembering

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
I was trying to find the ROH Claudio vs Joe match where Claudio gives Joe a hanging vertical suplex and keeps him up for like a full minute, maybe more. But sadly I can't find it. I know it happened because I saw it live but I can't find it anywhere online :(

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Gavok posted:

Claudio Castagnoli was a huge deal in the indies in the 2000's due to his size, amazing strength, charisma, and insane versatility as a worker. In a time when WWE didn't want any tiny indie wrestlers, Claudio was seen as a can't-miss prospect. WWE hired him and after a good run in NXT, he went to the main roster. There, as Antonio Cesaro (later just Cesaro because Vince is weird), he had such gimmicks as "angry rugby player," "yodeler," and "foreign guy who loves the potential of America, but hates Americans."

WrestleMania 30 was his big breakout moment where he turned face and won the first Andre the Giant Memorial Battle Royal by straight-up picking up Big Show and bodyslamming him out of the ring. He was immediately given Paul Heyman as a mouthpiece, which not only made him a heel again, but was also for the sake of advertising the existence of part-timer Brock Lesnar ("MY CLIENT BROCK LESNAR ENDED THE UNDERTAKER'S STREAK! Also, here's Cesaro."). Cesaro became an afterthought and a bit of a jobber to the point that when Steve Austin had Vince as a guest on his live podcast, he grilled him over absolutely loving up Cesaro's push. Vince shrugged and stated that Cesaro 1) is Swiss and 2) couldn't grab the brass ring. Whatever that means.

Cesaro remained a staple in the midcard until feuding with Sheamus. They were having a Best of Seven series where the winner would get a title shot. They ended up being 3-3 and their last match ended on a draw, so they became a tag team instead, calling themselves The Bar. They were a solid team and big part of the tag division, but it's WWE and WWE doesn't care about tag teams. Afterwards, Cesaro would occasionally get the hints of a big push in order to trick him into re-signing with the company, including a big singles win against Seth Rollins at WrestleMania 37. Then he'd fall back down the card.

His contract was up yet again and while Kevin Owens, Sami Zayn, and AJ Styles were getting huge money to stick around, Cesaro just had the regular offer. He left and while there were reports that he was going to go back to WWE, Bryan Danielson's injury leading into Forbidden Door gave Tony Khan reason enough to open his wallet.

This is a really good summary and I would like to add the following short video about Claudio's feud with Eddie Kingston in Chikara. For anyone who was wondering why, at the end of Forbidden Door, Eddie was screaming "gently caress YOU" at Claudio, this video explains it. They have unfinished business and I'm really looking forward to seeing where AEW takes it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SX21cxOtag

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Halloween Jack posted:

He found something that worked, and then just kept running it into the ground. Some would argue that he became a mark for the manager-workers he was hanging out with and ultimately himself, which led to stuff like Road Wild and his DQ victory over Vince McMahon, Jr.

This is exactly how I would describe it too

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
So I never really thought of this before but does Japan have their own words for faces and heels?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Barry Bluejeans posted:

they're already halfway there with Butcher and his pork chop

You beat me to it. I really want to see that

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Lunatic Sledge posted:

In an alternate timeline, would Austin have eventually just been Chilly or would he have been McFreeze

Didn't Chris Jericho say that WWF offered him the Goon gimmick and he turned it down?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
What does STO stand for?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

DMorbid posted:

Space Tornado Ogawa, after its inventor Naoya Ogawa.

Thank you :tipshat:

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

NikkolasKing posted:

What are some heel spots which just make perfect sense yet piss people off so much?

I'll never get over how some heels can get a ton of heat just by leaving the ring when they're getting beaten on. It makes all the sense in the world to get out of dodge, slow the momentum and gather your bearings, but it enrages the fans about as much as blatantly cheating.

The fans want to see a fight and the heel is denying them that

It's also a toxic masculinity thing where the heel is seen as a weak coward instead of a brave fighter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
I was there for the long Nigel McGuinness ROH title run and I guess I'm in the minority because I loved that run. Nigel was loving awesome