Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

cptn_dr posted:

(Full disclosure I'm doing publicity for this book on a volunteer basis - I'm not getting paid, I just like it a lot and I'm not as shy as the author)

If you've finished Gideon and want more weird queer SF written by a New Zealander, The Dawnhounds came out yesterday. It's got gay witches fighting fascist cops with the power of myco-magic! It's about a disgraced ex-cop who has to solve her own murder while a bio-engineered plague tears her city— which is kinda like a Southeast Asian Ankh-Morepork but with more mushrooms—apart around her.

Also the author is a goon. I beta read this and it’s loving cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Also I should say at the time I was reading it, it was like one edit away from final, but even then I thought it compared well to anything currently published by Tor

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

sebmojo posted:

God emperor is bonkers and great, the following two have vagina witches from beyond the edge of space so I cannot being myself to hate them

:same:

though I haven’t read any but the first since I was 15

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Ben Nevis posted:

Anyone read Witchmark? I just finished last night and am a little conflicted.

I have, and I’m looking forward to the sequel even though the first did have a few first novel problems. Disclosure: I know the author

Curious, what are you conflicted about?

Stuporstar fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Nov 23, 2019

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Ben Nevis posted:

Should have guessed you'd have.

The relationship felt sorta yucky. Miles first two big realizations of how much he liked Tristan were under the influence of magic and then morphine. I feel like PTSD as possession has some issues as well. That's the two big "conflicts" I think. Plotwise, I don't think I understand how a bound highborn secondary can be a witch. That seems like that should have resolved almost immediately when it comes out Mathy knows he's an heir of the chief family. Non-spoilery, I thought the non-Miles characters were sorta flat. That being said, I did enjoy it, and will almost certainly read the 2nd. I enjoyed the questions of agency and class. It was an enjoyable book, and maybe I'm nitpicking a little in response to the awards and general very favorable reviews.

You’re not wrong on that first point, and I bet she’d agree because there was a similar issue in one of her next books (standalone fantasy romance called The Midnight Bargain that just got picked up) that had a similar issue of consent, where the protagonist is under the influence of magic/drugs to get over their repression, and she saw herself doing it again and went “shiiiiit” and cut that whole bit out.

As for the witch/class thing, it’s been a while since I read it, but I assumed anyone practicing magic outside the system was illegal (therefore a witch) regardless of class, and he crossed that line when he ran off so he didn’t have to be an enslaved second. It’s mostly a class thing because the lower classes have no option to practice magic legally.

I only read tiny bits of the sequel to Witchmark, but it seemed to focus more on the other characters, so I’m betting they’ll be more fleshed out.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

quantumfoam posted:

I fully expect it to take place entirely inside a warehouse, a tea warehouse to be more specific, and be about how the Presger/Radch differences in weight measurements are about to kick off a war over tea trade imbalances.

I would actually read an sff book all about the tea trade, no lie

Or a straight up historical for that matter

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Ben Nevis posted:

A couple years back I read For All the Tea in China by Sarah Rose, it's a pop history of Britain's efforts to learn to how process tea and smuggle tea plants out of China that could grow in British territories in India. It has some issues, but is pretty interesting nonetheless.

That book looks like exactly my cuppa, thanks!

Edit: yesss, the ebook is free at my library right now

Stuporstar fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Dec 5, 2019

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

branedotorg posted:

Marketing guff.

They are not bad, sometimes good, space opera.

I just read the fifth one, it's a bit emo but still worth the time.

This https://www.amazon.com/Son-Trickster-trilogy-Book-ebook/dp/B01FPGTRXE/ goes down as the worst back copy I’ve ever read for a good book. I read it so close to Trail of Lightning I can’t help compare the two, and personally liked this one more, even though it’s less fantastic fantasy. Its pitch-black humor and slice-of-lovely-reserve-life spoke to me. And, oh hey, the Kindle version is on sale.

The description for book two does a much better job of conveying the tone of the series (a bit spoilery) https://www.amazon.com/Trickster-Drift-trilogy-Book-ebook/dp/B07B75LFTX/

I can’t wait for book three.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

biracial bear for uncut posted:

I'm surprised at how much I enjoy scifi books about interpersonal drama and basic coming of age in crazy settings. You'd think apocalyptic conflict was necessary, but it really isn't.

You have no idea how reassuring it is to hear people say this. I wish there was more scifi like Becky Chambers’

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

General Battuta posted:

Past tense is deeper but slower, it gives you more room to wander into recollection and association.

Present tense is shallow but rapid, it's more immediate and thin-sliced on the moment.

I wish more books played with this for effect, with carefully considered switching of tenses, but most writing advice I’ve seen tells people, “Stick to one, dammit.” Probably because tense switching is usually accidental, not considered.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

sebmojo posted:

my current endlessly incomplete novel has three viewpoints and one of them is present because the character is an idiot who can't think about the future

I think Marlon James did the same thing in A Brief History of Seven Killings, and it was cool

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Yeah i might just start Broken Earth (and some octavia butler) myself since what ive seen about it from yall and my own research makes it seem really really interesting and then see if my girlfriend's taken in by the Inheritance trilogy.

Ive been trying to help her find reading material that will hook her during this quarantine, she's very much a gamer/nerd type who loves witcher/skyrim/fallout/the early seasons of game of thrones but really wants to find stuff that's written by women of color featuring women of color.
I'm sure some of the stuff that isn't exactly "classic european medieval fantasy" might still interest her, she was mostly just talking about reading something with archers and swords and political intrigue and magic and so forth.

City of Brass is an Arabian Knights style high fantasy that’s primarily political intrigue, featuring an Egyptian woman who learns she’s half djinn and can do magic. Unfortunately the third book in the trilogy is not out until June 30. I’ve been waiting so long

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Snakedance by Vonda McIntyre is an interesting far-future post apocalyptic novel that fits those criteria. I read it after Ursula K. LeGuin singled it out for praise.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

^Canticle is pretty free from cringey poo poo, yeah

Loucks posted:

Thanks for the recommendation. I’m not seeing that title. Do you mean “Dreamsnake?”

gently caress. Yes. I need to not post before the caffeine kicks in in the morning :doh:

Snakedance is the title of a really bad old Dr. Who episode

Stuporstar fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Apr 4, 2020

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Canada needs to be green there too. There’s a reason I can do metric/imperial conversions in my head and it’s because of so many different loving recipes where no standards exist. And also why the gently caress do I have measuring tapes with only inches on them? Where the gently caress did these even come from?

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Srice posted:

Having read it for the first time last year I think the part of it that stuck out the most to me in that specific regard was a throwaway line out of nowhere about how the white minority in South Africa is being persecuted.

I tried to reread it a couple years ago, but couldn’t make it past the line coming out of one of his female mouthpieces, “I now understand if a woman gets raped, she was probably asking for it.” Nope, I‘m done with it forever

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

StrixNebulosa posted:

... I would love to see a genderfluid person explore their gender identity over time to the point where they're comfortable claiming another pronoun. I don't think I've ever seen that in sci-fi/fantasy fiction.

I’m working on a scifi series that does exactly that

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Mr. Nemo posted:

Stranger in a stranger land. So apparently there are two vesions, one shorter one that may have been due to censorship. But Heinlein called it better. The long version published after his death was said to be the best one by his agent, who obviously wanted people to buy it again.

Anyone has any opinion on this? The completionist in me says go for the long version.

I'm not even sure if they are both easily availably commercially, but I'm interested on what people think.

The stuff that was cut was the stuff that should’ve been cut, basically more of Heinlein’s creepy old man paternalistic sex poo poo. And hopefully it also cut the line where “if a woman gets raped she’s basically asking for it” gets put in the mouth of one of his female characters. It’s basically the handbook on what went wrong with the hippie’s free love movement. And by handbook I mean literally, a bunch of hippies read that poo poo and went, “I grok that, maaan. All women should stop being prudes put out for me.” If this makes you want to skip the book altogether, all you’re missing out on is gawking at a mildly historical trash fire.

Stuporstar fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Aug 31, 2020

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

MockingQuantum posted:

Anybody read City of Brass? I'm about halfway through and can't decide if I want to keep going, I'm curious what others thought of it (and Kingdom of Copper). I like the setting and flavor of the book a lot, it's refreshing to see standard fantasy fare done in a setting based in Middle Eastern mythology/folklore/beliefs as an alternative to generic European fantasy. Setting aside, though, the book does feel like standard fantasy fare, and I'm not sure whether or not it will do anything particularly unique or interesting with the story that's being told. I don't hate it by any means, it's just a little bland and sort of proceeding in predictable ways so far.

Also it feels like the book is kind of adding a romance subplot into the middle of everything, and it feels pretty forced. It's not something that would disqualify a book for me or anything, but it's still kind of a disappointment that the main character can't just be the driving force of the narrative without also being in love with somebody.

Keep going. It gets more political and the romance is just set up for brutally twisting the knife in the guts of all parties involved.

I’m still on hold at the library for Empire of Gold so I have no idea how it will all play out, but Kingdom of Copper was one hell of a ride and I’m looking forward to whatever comes next.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Cavelcade posted:

Hi thread, I'm looking for some fantasy or Sci fi by a female author for a book club that wouldn't normally read that. I've read The Left Hand of Darkness recently and was thinking of suggesting the Dispossessed, but Kindred by Octavia Butler also looks good.

Any suggestions would be welcome. Also you guys seem cool.

Like PeterWeller, I’d recommend Parable of the Sower over Kindred as a better entry book for Octavia Butler. For one, Parable is extremely precient and topical right now, and also Kindred is so brutal most people who start with that end up not wanting to read anymore Octavia Butler because the first time was too painful, which is a crying shame.

Seconding the Lathe of Heaven recommend as well

Stuporstar fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Oct 6, 2020

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

fritz posted:

There's a whole lot of nonsense there, but the Jane Yolen books are good (and if you view it as paying $15 just for the trilogy it's still saving $6 vs amazon)

It’s too bad you can’t use those pay sliders to pay Jane Yolen $X and Piers Anthony $0.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

:magical: I am so glad I stopped reading Pern books after being forced to read Dragonsong in elementary school and bouncing hard off the second one.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

macabresca posted:

I'm looking for some sci-fi about non-binary identities, for example agender alien species or how future technology can change our perception of gender binarity. So not just stories that feature nb characters but the ones that explore the subject in more detail. Something like The Left Hand of Darkness. Do you have some recommendations?

Dammit I’m still writing my bloody series and haven’t edited one to completion (I keep getting distracted by poo poo like de-gendered ancient Egyptian-based conlangs, there is no hope for me) :suicide:

Serious answer: John Varley was probably the New Wave author who explored that and other post-human ideas the most, particularly in his short stories.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

^^Thanks!

branedotorg posted:

Ophiuchi Hotline is pretty good for this but I'd avoid the gaea trilogy personally.

Yeah, some forewarning about the centaur sex chart in Titan etc. might be in order. Pretty much every sff author, especially from back then, has written some questionable poo poo. I think I give Varley a pass because even when he gets onto his, “Post-human sex is gonna be freaky wild, it’ll be great!” thing, he somehow manages to do it in non-creepy ways, unlike pretty much every other sff author.

branedotorg posted:

Maybe Octavia butler too

The Xenogenesis trilogy is one of my all time favorites. And yeah, the third sex of the Oankali and how they choose their gender at puberty kinda fits the request

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

freebooter posted:

The centaur sex is weird obviously, but it was the fact the Gaea trilogy was so loving boring that was unforgivable for me. I would say it's weird but on the other hand I liked Steel Beach, found The Golden Globe to be one of the best and most engaging scifi novels I ever read, then found Irontown Blues to be really disappointing and boring. And I'm pretty sure those are widely held views. So, hey, every author contains multitudes!

Yeah, I generally prefer early Varley to late Varley, and his short stories to his novels. I haven’t read Irontown Blues, and haven’t yet read the sequels to Titan. I haven’t yet read Golden Globe either. Steel Beach was great though

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

freebooter posted:

If you liked Steel Beach you will really like Golden Globe. It's the same fascinating universe, but with a tighter plot (an actor/conman trying to make his way from Pluto to Luna for a production of King Lear while being pursued by an unkillable mafia hitman) and one of the most charismatic, likeable first-person POV protagonists I've read in sci-fi.

Picaresque first-person protagonists are my favorite kind. Sold

It’s funny, I didn’t even realise they were part of a series because Varely seems to have a shared world for all his stories, and I found all my Varley’s in used bookstore or my dad’s sff collection

Stuporstar fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Dec 18, 2020

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

An excellent anthology of short ff stories by black writers is also on sale right now. I read it years ago and the whole thing is top quality: https://www.amazon.com/Dark-Matter-Century-Speculative-Diaspora-ebook/dp/B00MTXJAF2/

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

coathat posted:

A little help please.
Last year I read the excellent collection Iraq+100 where all the stories were set in 2103 a hundred years after the american invasion and I've started on Palestine+100 set in 2048 a century after the Nakba. And then today by chance I found out about and ordered Lagos 2060 that follows the same pattern.

I'm wondering if yall know of any other collections that riff on this theme?

There’s an earlier one called Islamicates by the same editor that was available for free on their website for a while, but I can’t where I downloaded it from a few years ago. It’s just as good

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Sibling of TB posted:

I almost bought earthseed because "hey a full series!" but "A multiple Hugo and Nebula Award winner’s powerful saga of survival and destiny in a near-future dystopian America." and I'm not sure if I want to read dystopian future America right now.

Is it actually really good and I should get it?

It is really really good. But book two is an undending stream of gut punches so maybe wait to read it until you have a good cushion of non-depressing reads to sandwich them in

Actually book one isn’t as brutal as book two and pretty hopeful. Also it’s fairly standalone. Book two though, phew! Maybe just read the first one unless you want to see Trump’s America predicted yet even worse.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

pradmer posted:

The Burning God (Poppy War #3) by RF Kuang - $3.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B084VP8KNB/

The Girl and the Stars (Book of the Ice #1) by Mark Lawrence - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VJBBFN6/

The Relentless Moon (Lady Astronauts #3) by Mary Robinette Kowal - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07X17XSPS/

The Hidden Girl and Other Stories by Ken Liu - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TD6GJNT/

The Once and Future Witches by Alix E Harrow - $3.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B085C71YG5/

The Empress of Salt and Fortune (Singing Hills Cycle #1) by Nghi Vo - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VH6Y4JD/

Some less discussed authors today. Anyone have any recommendations?

The Burning God massively pissed me off as the ending to an +1500 page trilogy because it was despressing grimdark poo poo, but if you’ve read the others and are prepared for depressing grimdark poo poo, go for it

I’ve only read The Lady Astronaut and I’m still on the fence about getting the rest so I’m reading them from the library instead. Again, probably only worth it if you’re completing the series

Ken Liu’s short fiction is always great. I bought that one sight unseen

I’ve only read The Doors of January by Alix E Harrow and it was really good, but I haven’t read this one. I know at least one person who absolutely loved it, but I’m thinking of waiting for the library for this one myself

Not sure at all about Empress of Salt and Fortune, when it’s described as a “gut punch,” after getting burned (it’s about fire magic lol) reading the Poppy War

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

buffalo all day posted:

Had no idea the third poppy war book was out but the second one was so relentlessly miserable I have no desire to re-engage.

This is wise
Third one is even worse

Edit: I probably should have known better tbh. I mean, I expected after the end of book one with the rape of Nanking and magical Hiroshima to go uphill not downhill? Silly me to imagine three books of non-stop war might lead to something worth it!

Stuporstar fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jan 18, 2021

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

mllaneza posted:

The Relentless Moon is the best of the series so far. If you've only read the first book, the second escalates beautifully and does so much more cool space stuff. Then the third comes along, changes POV characters, and gets really intense. It gets better as it goes along, so if you liked the first book, the second and third should really work for you.

Thanks! I’ll get to read them both in less than a month according to my hold list. Now I’m even more looking forward to it

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Ben Nevis posted:

Read this in November, and liked it. It's short. An old woman tells of her time as a serving girl to the titular empress. It's a series of stories from her life, with interludes hinting to the historian recording it that more was going on. Primarily, it's about a backwoods princess trying to seize some agency in a very unfriendly kingdom. Also women's stories and relationships. It's good. There are some emotional moments, sure, at least one depressing bit, but it's not grimdark. I'd say it's very well told story, and I'm looking forward to reading whatever Vo write next.

That sounds way more interesting than the way it was pitched. Guess I’ll put that on my hold list too. Thanks!

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Yarrington posted:

I didn't realize until now that the third Poppy War was out but yikes the comments in here make me move the second out of the 'to read' pile. I listened to the first one's audiobook and the turn was extremely unpleasant, especially given that after about thirty seconds I realized 'oh this is the rape of Nanking.... oh, she's going to get into ALL the details' so it was just listening to gruesome misery.

It does hit a very annoying combination of being just good enough that I want to see it through but not good enough to compensate for the grimdarkness.

It started off so delightfully wuxia, and with such a sense of humor, I thought that would carry it through. Unfortunately (for me) I was won enough to trudge through what ended up being a death march. I so wish I’d stopped after book one. Why didn’t I stop after book one?
:negative:

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Anyone read Piranesi by Susanna Clarke yet? It popped up available on holds list so I just took it out

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

He’ll probably end up just as forgotten as Daniel Keys Moran (I sure as hell didn’t know who this guy was), especially if Rothfuss never finishes his trilogy that went nowhere and was just a bunch of over-indulgent bullshit. Sure it sucks he’s sucking up a ton of undeserved attention when there’s so many better authors. Hopefully he’s among the last relics of the unearned fame of the failing upward mediocre white man

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

freebooter posted:

Amazon isn't the actual seller, though, right? I mean the seller is still usually what I imagine to be some gigantic book warehouse like Reusabook or Better World Books, but I have occasionally bought from what appears to be just some second hand bookstore that puts its stock on Abebooks.

It is all third party sellers, but they take a heavy cut. A friend of mine built up a used bookstore in her basement from her wide connections of mostly nerdy friends and she can’t afford to sell through them

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

anilEhilated posted:

e: Speaking of authors no one talks about, how about Erin Morgenstern? I just finished The Starless Sea and frankly cannot decide whether it was amazing or an utter waste of a great premise.

I stopped reading it halfway through because the protagonist was a nerd stereotype with zero personality (liking Harry Potter is not a personality), the metaphors were blatant and constantly jackhammered onto the page in droning unchanging forms, and the prose and dialogue was annoyingly twee

It’s trying so hard to be Borges. Just read Borges. Or Catherynne Valente. Hell Piranesi was similar and a billion times better as well

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Kestral posted:

Who are the great prose stylists in genre fiction, in the thread's opinion? It'd be nice to have a list of people to check out whose writing is a cut above. Le Guin is the one that comes immediately to my mind, and Susanna Clarke. Tolkien as well, although I realize that's contentious.

Nalo Hopkinson immediately comes to mind. Most of that style is patois, but it sings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Rommel1896 posted:

I see that the Patternist Series by Butler is on sale today. I don't really know anything about the series, but I tend to prefer hard-ish SF like the Revelation Space by Reynolds or Fiasco by Lem. Could someone give me a quick non-spoilery rundown on the Patternist books? Don't know whether to buy them or not.

The Patternist books are sci-fantasy with ancient telepathic vampires and an alien disease that turns people into werewolf-like things. The chronological order is not the same order they were written in, and it shows. Patternmaster was Butler’s first published novel, which is not very good (by her own later standards).

Wild Seed is the best book in the series. I’m inclined to recommend that one as a standalone. Mind of my Mind is ok. Clay’s Ark was... uh... she was trying to humanize the “werewolves” she created in Patternmaster, but as an alien virus that makes people need to rape to infect others and uh............................ :psyduck:

The whole series may be the most hosed up poo poo she ever wrote (that’s including Bloodchild). I’m not a fan of it at all, even though I love pretty much everything else by Butler.

Stuporstar fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Feb 15, 2021