Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

https://twitter.com/GovMurphy/status/1389269510612467716?s=19

BRB forging a second vaccine card with the dates shifted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

vyst posted:

You'll probably need a yearly shot. Right now i think the latest numbers keep protection for 12 months, but most scientists predict this will be like the flu shot and you get it once a year in booster form due to all the variants and what not

If everyone in the world was vaccinated with the most effective vaccine (whether the Pfizer or some imaginary one) all at the same time, then went into quarantine for 2 or 3 weeks, the virus could theoretically be completely eliminated, right?

Bape Culture posted:

The uk held a 3000 person rave with no masks etc. Testing and post testing involved to see the implications. Pretty cool I think. Interested to see what they discover and how it compares as a vector to other stuff.

Outdoor or indoor? That would be an absolute nightmare of virus transmission, I don't think I need an actual experiment to prove that. Everyone cheek by jowl, spit particles flowing in the air as people scream and yell and breathe hard and dance and share drugs and make out

Platystemon posted:

Masks work in the same way that the virus will go away in the summer.

Masks reducing your risk of infection or infecting others (by any amount) means they work. You're saying some pretty strange things here.

Big Bizness posted:

Got an offer to film somebody's 8 hour presentation in about 2 weeks. It will be indoors, and it will be only me, the presenter and maybe a few other people present (less then 5 total.) Everyone there will be fully vaccinated, supposedly. These are high income professional types. Should be fine, right? I'll still be wearing an N95 if I do go, but I don't know if anyone else would be. Normally I would say this is a no brainer but the long length of time we will be around each other has me a bit hesitant. My gut says it's a bad idea but idk if that's just my warped perspective after hardcore quarantining for the last 16 months.

I would personally still wear a mask, considering you don't know these people and have no proof they are actually vaccinated. But I would definitely be willing to go.

Dick Jones posted:

Has anyone else who got their shots through Walgreens run into this?

I logged into my Walgreens account to see if I could reschedule my 2nd shot for something closer to 22 or 23 days but this page refuses to acknowledge that I got shot 1.

For what it's worth, the Pfizer vaccines at least (Moderna too, I believe) are entirely equal between first and second shot. There is no actual difference in the content of the shot, it's just the same thing twice with a gap proven to be most effective. So if you're concerned about getting your second dose at the right time (and can't get it figured out some other way, which would be best) just sign up for the first dose again.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Thoughtless posted:

The situation in Sweden, regarding vaccinations, is absolutely horrible.

The date for estimated full vaccinations for everyone has been pushed back from mid june, to mid August, and now to early September. Meanwhile, we're also wasting doses because lots of old people (65+) are declining the Astra Zeneca one, evidently not understanding numbers at all. ~2% risk of death if I catch the virus, vs 20 in a million chance of blood clots from the vaccine? Sign me up for Virusville!

Meanwhile, younger people who understand how statistics work, can't get that one, because it's only given to old people. So, wasted doses.

Yeah, pretty much the same here in Finland. The people in the 65-70 bracket want to select what they are given, so they are refusing everything unless its the Pfizer one. Since the next national bracket wont start unless the previous one is done with the rest of us are hosed. At least next week they are getting rid of the age bracket thing in the most infected healthcare areas.

So the boomers found one more way to gently caress over the millenials, especially the ones living in the larger cities, and are abusing it to their enjoy.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
3000 kids in a warehouse, they had to test negative and are now being repeat tested afterwards. It’s basically going to show us if we can drop social distancing on the 17th of may or not.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

dwarf74 posted:

Feel free to steal this and use it as ammunition in your very important internet arguments. (I tried to dumb it down as much as possible.)

wow... ouch

Unlucky7 posted:

I think this was mentioned in the other thread, but could it be because we are on the tail end of people who are privileged enough to be able to have time away from their jobs/responsibilities to go out and get vaccinated? If anything else, we should try to make it easier to be vaccinated?

I'm afraid it's mostly that the people who want them have gotten them and the people who don't aren't going to. There is even reporting on people not showing up for their second doses, apparently having been convinced since getting their first one that the vaccine is a nanobot gene- editing 5G witch juice. It's going to be a legitimate struggle to get enough people in the US vaccinated so that we can really start going back to normal, in my opinion.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
Pfizer one dose is better than J and J. But, what are the consequences? Will this lead to easier mutations, probably, sad!

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
vaccine selectivity is just a result of letting the free market vaccinate the world

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Jesus this is the letters from Italian doctors to the U.K. only now it’s the U.K. trying to explain just how bad the Kent variant is. It’s going to be a case of at which point do the people who haven’t caught it yet give in and get the jab?

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Social Media is going to make it really obvious who's healthy, and who's an idiot, forever

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Michael Corleone posted:

Pfizer one dose is better than J and J. But, what are the consequences? Will this lead to easier mutations, probably, sad!

Yes, and the correct response should be "OK we mark you refused and we will get back to you when the rest of the country is vaccinated". Not the "OK so we will hold the younger citizens hostage until we find something that suits you".

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Shifty Pony posted:

I've heard that one in particular is quite a doozy of a vaccination.

But that shingles is much worse. I'm pretty drat jealous that kids these days don't have to go through chicken pox and as a result won't have the same risk of shingles that I have.

The horror stories of shingles were enough for me to keep my Shingrix appointment the day before my Moderna one. (I checked the CDC advice and also asked my doctor and they were fine with it. It's very difficult to get an appointment for shingles vaccine - it took nearly a year before I could even schedule the appointment, which was months later.)
And I didn't have side-effects from either, other than the Shingrix injection site hurting quite a lot. I'm due for the second one this month.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
I'm happy so many goons here will be able to get back to "normalish" after vaccinated. Unfortunately I'm one of the ones that is going to take a lot of time to get there mentally, and that's assuming this isn't endemic, which I think it is. There will be a small part of the population is the same boat as me, and if people start making us feel bad about our reservations, it's just going to make it take even longer. So for all of you that are ready to get back to some form of normal, please be patient with us. We're trying as well, we just have more barriers (mostly self-made) to overcome to get there.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

learnincurve posted:

Jesus this is the letters from Italian doctors to the U.K. only now it’s the U.K. trying to explain just how bad the Kent variant is. It’s going to be a case of at which point do the people who haven’t caught it yet give in and get the jab?

We're past that the Kent variant is old news. The likely significantly worse Indian B.1617 is where it's at and it's already seeded all over the place.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

Kragger99 posted:

I'm happy so many goons here will be able to get back to "normalish" after vaccinated. Unfortunately I'm one of the ones that is going to take a lot of time to get there mentally, and that's assuming this isn't endemic, which I think it is. There will be a small part of the population is the same boat as me, and if people start making us feel bad about our reservations, it's just going to make it take even longer. So for all of you that are ready to get back to some form of normal, please be patient with us. We're trying as well, we just have more barriers (mostly self-made) to overcome to get there.

I don't think that the majority of the people who are willing to go back to some semblance of normal post-vaccination are especially inclined to yell at and critique the people who aren't yet willing (at least not so long as those more hesitant people aren't yelling at the less hesitant).

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Der Kyhe posted:

Yeah, pretty much the same here in Finland. The people in the 65-70 bracket want to select what they are given, so they are refusing everything unless its the Pfizer one. Since the next national bracket wont start unless the previous one is done with the rest of us are hosed. At least next week they are getting rid of the age bracket thing in the most infected healthcare areas.

So the boomers found one more way to gently caress over the millenials, especially the ones living in the larger cities, and are abusing it to their enjoy.

Don't forget how many times we heard at the height of whatever wave was going on at the time that most of the deaths were old people who probably weren't going to live much longer anyway so yeah it's sad I guess but it's not like a tragedy you know.

And now we've all got to wait for our elders (our betters!) to get the vaccine they want so they can open up the bingo parlour again and everyone else can just keep working because nobody actually gives a poo poo about anything but optics.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Der Kyhe posted:

That seems like a really stupid system, I've never heard the idea that EVERYONE in a particular cohort needs to be vaccinated before moving on to the next cohort. I would expect you'd just start the next group when vaccinations of the first group begin to decline, or when you have a certain amount of 'surplus' vaccines that aren't being used..

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Is 'the kent variant' the same as 'the uk variant' ?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

redreader posted:

Is 'the kent variant' the same as 'the uk variant' ?

Yeh only this time it really should be called the Kent variant because the Welsh/Scottish/NI absolutely had nothing to do with creating it.

Edit; the devolved governments in those countries set their own coronavirus rules

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
I'm just glad I can hug my mom for mother's day this year. Dad didn't make it but hey, not bad for a pandemic with old rear end parents.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Play posted:

That seems like a really stupid system, I've never heard the idea that EVERYONE in a particular cohort needs to be vaccinated before moving on to the next cohort. I would expect you'd just start the next group when vaccinations of the first group begin to decline, or when you have a certain amount of 'surplus' vaccines that aren't being used..

At least in Sweden, they are putting refusers firmly in the back of the line.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I thought this thread was too full of hysterical women for you to participate

i never said anything about anyone being a woman, and resent the implication

i did, however, call you an idiot

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

xcheopis posted:

The horror stories of shingles were enough for me to keep my Shingrix appointment the day before my Moderna one. (I checked the CDC advice and also asked my doctor and they were fine with it. It's very difficult to get an appointment for shingles vaccine - it took nearly a year before I could even schedule the appointment, which was months later.)
And I didn't have side-effects from either, other than the Shingrix injection site hurting quite a lot. I'm due for the second one this month.

Shingle. Jingle. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=it8vJ03E8c8

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 21:47 on May 3, 2021

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.

Der Kyhe posted:

Yes, and the correct response should be "OK we mark you refused and we will get back to you when the rest of the country is vaccinated". Not the "OK so we will hold the younger citizens hostage until we find something that suits you".

e:fb;

That is thankfully how we're going to deal with it in Sweden. Take the vaccine you're offered or get to the back of the line.

(but it's still a wasted dose because the idiots schedule an appointment, and then go to the doctor to fight about it in person)

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

boar guy posted:

i never said anything about anyone being a woman, and resent the implication

i did, however, call you an idiot

"Hysterical" is often considered to be a gendered insult these days: https://rewirenewsgroup.com/article/2019/11/21/im-not-hysterical-but-youre-sexist/

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Castaign posted:

"Hysterical" is often considered to be a gendered insult these days: https://rewirenewsgroup.com/article/2019/11/21/im-not-hysterical-but-youre-sexist/

was not the intent, thanks :tipshat:

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

boar guy posted:

was not the intent, thanks :tipshat:

I didn't figure, and you're welcome.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Play posted:

Outdoor or indoor? That would be an absolute nightmare of virus transmission, I don't think I need an actual experiment to prove that. Everyone cheek by jowl, spit particles flowing in the air as people scream and yell and breathe hard and dance and share drugs and make out

Indoor. And I think there were multiple days of it too just to get even more data. Everyone I’ve seen who’ve been seem to have had a good time which I’m genuinely glad of.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/apr/30/its-going-to-be-emotional-clubbers-return-in-liverpool-covid-pilot

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Bape Culture posted:

Indoor. And I think there were multiple days of it too just to get even more data. Everyone I’ve seen who’ve been seem to have had a good time which I’m genuinely glad of.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/apr/30/its-going-to-be-emotional-clubbers-return-in-liverpool-covid-pilot

Yeah I hadn't realized people would actually be tested beforehand, that makes more sense as an experiment. But really what it's testing is if someone still brings covid in despite being tested, right?'

A relevant story:

One weekend several years ago I went to an OUTDOOR festival called Emissions. Lots of drinking and drug use and general shennanigans. The whole thing was a gross petri dish of shared fluids and close quarters.

Anyways, it comes to pass that some kind of bizarre and dangerous variant of flu had spread rapidly, beginning to strike most people on the final day, which was then termed the Belden Death Flu, Belden town being the location of the festival. Not sure if the conditions allowed a normal flu variant to mutate into something worse but this flu was one of the most hosed flus I've ever had.

I was already wrecked enough from all the drugs and sleepless nights but then having to drive a bunch of us home, some of them beginning to vomit from the flu and myself beginning to hallucinate as I drove. No one else was in any state to drive though and I wouldn't trust them to anyways, I'm good at maintaining focus in adverse conditions. When I somehow finally made it home I took my temperature straight away and it was over 102, so it was basically a miracle I even got back and didn't kill us all.

Facebook later informed me that hundreds of other people had fallen prey to the Belden death flu, probably half of them couldn't go to work the next week and, oh yeah, it was finals week in the UC system so the death flu probably ruined a couple lives at minimum. So yeah, even an outdoor festival can result in a massive outbreak if people have no prior reason to be concerned.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Yeah I think it is to test the validity of testing and allowing large events again etc

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
My province opened up eligibility to all adults in “hot spots” so I guess I get a Pfizer shot in 3 weeks. Only eligible because of the hot spot thing, which a lot of people are suspicious of because some postal codes that arnt hot spots have higher infection rates than some that are. :toot: I guess

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Did this get posted? Good news.

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1389328995120947203

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Play posted:

Masks reducing your risk of infection or infecting others (by any amount) means they work. You're saying some pretty strange things here.

How is it strange to say that masks and warm weather both act to reduce the basic reproduction number of the virus?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Hell yeah, having a great time here in good ol 'Berta

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Picnic Princess posted:

Hell yeah, having a great time here in good ol 'Berta

It's ok they suspended parliament so they can't possibly gently caress it up more than they already have now

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Update on the Australian ban on returned travelers from India, now with added fines and jail time. The very very worst outcome possible has now occurred: some (white male) professional cricketers got upset!!! :aaa:

https://twitter.com/mj_slats/status/1389147322425110541
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-05-04/michael-slater-calls-india-travel-ban-disgrace-twitter-morrison/100113674

There's also been lots and lots of human rights groups and constitutional scholars arguing that the ban is immoral and illegal and planning court cases to fight it, but of course our PM doesn't care about any of that. He really really cares a lot about cricketers being angry at him though, so of course this has been the only thing that has made him reconsider his tough stance on the matter and actually admit that it was pretty much a bluff

quote:

The Prime Minister said he thought it was unlikely that anyone would be charged or fined.

"I think the likelihood of anything like that occurring is pretty much zero," he said.

"These arrangements have always been dealt with responsibly and proportionately and that's what I'm expecting from Border Force officials

"I've said the likelihood of any sanction, anything like that, is extremely remote, and that's what it is."
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-05-04/scott-morrison-defends-india-covid-travel-ban-australia-jail/100113848
(Of course he no doubt means that the likelihood of this happening to white sportsmen is pretty much zero. If any non-sporting person with brown skin tried to fly in from India it might be a different matter)

Note that travel out of Australia is also severely restricted (apart from the New Zealand travel bubble) and anyone leaving the country has to apply for an exemption and show that they have genuine, compelling reasons for travelling overseas. I guess playing cricket counts as a super important reason!
https://covid19.homeaffairs.gov.au/leaving-australia

Also note that travelers returning from other parts of the world are still allowed into the country, this is the first time we've imposed an outright ban and threatened legal sanctions against our own citizens returning from any part of the world even though the current reported infection rate in India is still much lower than the previous peaks in some other countries

mr_jolly
Aug 20, 2003

Not so jolly now

learnincurve posted:

Yeh only this time it really should be called the Kent variant because the Welsh/Scottish/NI absolutely had nothing to do with creating it.

Edit; the devolved governments in those countries set their own coronavirus rules

There's a really good article about the origins of the Kent variant here:

https://www.reuters.com/investigates/special-report/health-coronavirus-uk-variant/

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Der Kyhe posted:

Australia threatened to do this with 1a people trying to insist they got Pfizer.

Today's numbers out of India are beyond comprehension. 20 million cases. Thats 80% of Australia's population and four times the population of New Zealand.

Lolie fucked around with this message at 07:43 on May 4, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Lolie posted:

Australia threatened to do this with 1a people trying to insist they got Pfizer.

That seems like cutting off one’s nose to spite one’s face.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Lolie posted:

Today's numbers out of India are beyond comprehension. 20 million cases. Thats 80% of Australia's population and four times the population of New Zealand.

Actual numbers are probably 10x that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Saros posted:

Actual numbers are probably 10x that.

Probably. There's no way the death toll being reported is accurate, either, although I doubt that can be counted accurately.