Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Going to Tokyo on Friday.

It's been nice posting with you all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

stephenthinkpad posted:

Are you flying to? Good luck getting back.

Anyway make sure you update the thread.

Home sucks anyway. My coworkers were saying to me 3 months ago that they hope something would happen and I'd be stuck in Japan rather than having to return to my lovely job amd my lovely boss. Wasn't expecting this though.

I will post about my experience for sure.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

If you have snow, go get some disinfection tablets and start harvesting all that free water just sitting around out there.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

sincx posted:

I thought this said Purina at first.

They're effectively the same thing.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Shaocaholica posted:

Home Depot/Lowe’s is the stealth option but I bet people have figured that out already.

I checked around a few days ago and all the websites in my city showed both in-store and online were picked clean. Hand sanitizer was really hard to find too. Most shelves everywhere are empty.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

vandalism posted:

How will n95 masks help? You will have to take it off eventually. Then... muh muh muh muh my corona.

I'm mostly doing it for other people's peace of mind. My husband is allergic to everything and sneezes a lot and we don't want to incite panic on trains or whatever. A bunch of people have been telling me to cancel my trip to Tokyo on Friday but at the rate this things moving, it's probably already here and we just don't know it yet. So it's mostly performative.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

sincx posted:

Kids are basically immune from SARS 2 somehow.

Mother Earth be like "OK Boomer"

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

In the airport on my way to Tokyo lmao

So far only one prebooked venue has refunded my ticket, Teamlab Borderless. I just hope Skytree stays open for a few more days.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Lmao watch me catch this fuckin thing here in Oregon because my connection to Tokyo through Seattle got diverted because of fog and I'm spending a night here.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Fojar38 posted:

I live in downtown Toronto surrounded every day by mainland Chinese and if it wasn't for news headlines and goon meltdowns I wouldn't have even known that there was an outbreak of anything unusual

ie in places that are demographically the most at risk for this thing nobody on the ground really gives a gently caress

I have family in whitebread rural Ontario buying up those construction masks though

I'm in metro Tokyo right now and it feels like business as usual. It is a bit quieter and there are more masks compared to the same time last year, but it definitely doesn't feel like anything is wrong.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Just got an email from work, when I get home from Tokyo I'll be facing a two week self-quarantine :toot:

I work a customer service job in a popular family tourist attraction so no surprise there.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Non-profit organization that's going through financial struggles right now. Definitely not.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Xaintrailles posted:

So if you needed to make rent you'd be spending your "quarantine" driving uber or something. :thunk:
Good luck!

My husband makes enough to support us through it thank gently caress, and his work is fine and secure.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Bullfrog posted:

how many people normally die on cruises? jw. i feel like it's more than 0

A former coworker was a cast member on a Disney cruise ship that a guy committed suicide on. He had some rage incident about not being able to meet Mickey and was isolated in his room for a day or two, and when when they let him out he jumped off the side of the boat.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

So far my flight home from Tokyo is still on. Hopefully the plane will be just as empty as on the way here because being able to lay down in an entire row was great.

Hilariously I have a 10 hour layover in Seattle. I feel like I'm destined to get this plague.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Just saw the virus showed up in my home city back on Feb 21 but wasn't confirmed until today. Glad I can't be blamed as patient zero if I happen to have picked it up and bring it home somewhere along the way. I've been really careful and carrying soap amd sanitizer with me, but I've been on some really packed trains and among some crowds here in Tokyo.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Self-quarantine confirmed, was told not to come into work on Monday.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

I don't know if I have it but I start my self-quarantine on Monday when I return home from Tokyo. I'm too much of a risk where I work. Major family tourist attraction. Lots of grandparents around and people from all over the world.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Yeah as a Canadian I don't feel safe teaming up with the US over this, they're psychos and completely incompetent.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

I'm in SeaTac on a layover and got a dry throat which made me cough a little bit and everyone around me stared lol

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Pump Jockey posted:

Corona-chan is really opening my eyes to the true nature of some of my friends/relatives, it’s really like the 2016 election all over again. I have lung disease and the number of my supposed friends who tell me to my face that they don’t care enough to take precautions to avoid spreading the virus is astonishing. My boss has a cruise booked for April, he keeps whining to me about how he’s still going to go anyway DAMMIT, no matter what the fallout is. :sigh:

During H1N1 a family friend caught it and was induced into a coma in hospital. Everyone went to visit, but I refused because I had an absolute garbage immune system and even colds would result in an 8 week severe lung infection. They were so loving pissed off at me even though I was yelling at them that if I caught it I would definitely die and being in a hospital full of people confirmed to have it was way too risky, and hanging out for hours in the same small room as someone with it was insane.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Talked to my boss, I'm being given 2 weeks off with part time pay. Which is better than I assumed, I figured I'd get nothing. My husband has also been told to stay home. So now we're starting week 2 of our 3 week vacation :toot:

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

QuarkJets posted:

I have a friend in Southern California whose daughter just got diagnosed with viral pneumonia. WHO recommends that all cases of bilateral pneumonia be tested for coronavirus, but she was not tested. Why? "The coronavirus doesn't kill children anyway"

RIP that kid's grandparents I guess.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Fojar38 posted:

Car accidents kill over 3000 people a day. If I were shocked at that death rate I wouldn't be able to leave the house.

When that volcano blew up in New Zealand I saw a ton of people screaming that all volcano tourism needs to be banned. I've hiked volcanos and plan to do so again, becaise I'm way more likely to get hit by a car going to work than get blown up on a hike.

Someone on Facebook gave me poo poo for going to Tokyo last week after I said it was insensitive to mock immuncompromised people for being worried about this virus. I told her that me choosing to continue my trip to Tokyo was like choosing to go choosinf to go base jumping off a cliff with a parachute. But not everyone has parachutes so mocking them for worrying about jumping off a cliff just because you'll be fine of you do it makes you an rear end.

And I'm in self-quarantine now because I don't want to accidentally push someone without a parachute off the cliff.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

https://blog.ucsusa.org/michael-halpern/white-house-removes-public-health-experts-from-coronavirus-discussions

Y'all are fuckin doomed. I'm sorry.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Well this certainly has been an evening. Guess I'll just grab a hard drink and watch the world burn.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

QuoProQuid posted:

So, I've read the order, which is here, and what the order actually does is bar travel from certain immigrants who have been in the Schengen Zone within the last 14 days, with huge exemptions carved out.

Even if you accept the premise that shutting down borders is the US's largest priority right now, there's nothing stopping an American citizen from traveling back and forth to Italy. The order also doesn't cover the UK, which has one of the largest number of confirmed cases in Europe right now.

EDIT: The president also said in his speech that insurance companies had agreed to waive all co-pays for coronavirus-related treatment, which is apparently news to the insurance companies.

Yeah but he likes the UK for being xenophobic as gently caress so this is more likely a political attack against the EU.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Italy has a lot of old people who spend all their time hanging out together in groups and touching each other, and when they were told they should stop, they didn't because telling a bunch of 80 year olds they have to stop engaging in their own culture simply won't happen.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Coronavirus isn't even the right name. It's like trying to describe your least favourite dish and saying "I don't like the food"

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

At this rate, my quarantine is going to turn from keeping my community safe from me to keeping me safe from the community.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

sweet thursday posted:

What if... mother nature is making a movie... and the hero is covid-19...

Retribution for climate change. That's why it's targeting Boomers.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

So if coronavirus is just the cold that means I can put bath salts on my beans, correct? Salt is salt!

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Same thing happened when I flew into Seattle from Tokyo. And in Calgary all I saw was one sign on a post in the middle of a hallway part way from the gate to customs. None of this questioning and temperature taking so many other airports have allegedly been doing.

Alberta has also banned gatherings of more than 250. My workplace has done a hiring freeze, which is kind of a big deal because this is the time of year we hire the most people to deal with summer busy season, and if things keep getting worse I imagine they'll shut down for a while because it's a tourist destination and lots of elderly people bring their grandkids to visit.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Apparently there's panic buying in Calgary, amd we don't even have any known community transmission yet. Everyone who's tested positive picked it up from somewhere they travelled or lives with someone who picked it up travelling.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Well if no one else wants red onions, I'll take them. They're my preferred type anyway.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

My work just announced it's shutting down and cancelled all special events through to May so after my quarantine is over in 9 days I likely won't have a job to return to for a while anyway :toot:

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

shovelbum posted:

So everyone's out at the bars and poo poo, if this is a society level thing and I'm not high risk is there any reason to be a sad one man social distancing

I went to Japan right as poo poo hit the fan there, I had a 10 hour layover in Seattle on the way home and decided against my original plan to spend time downtown and chose to isolate myself in a corner in the airport the entire time instead. Haven't left my house since returning home Sunday night. So I know at least I did what I could to stop spreading it, I've got a number of people in my life who are in the high risk demographic as well as my neighbourhood having a lot of retirees and I don't want to expose any of them.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Blistex posted:

The province of Alberta just announced that all schools and daycares are to be shut down.

A bunch of my friends who are parents are freaking out because they don't know what to do with their kids while they're still going to work. Facebook has been almost nothing but panic posting today.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Facebook Aunt posted:

Each US state gets its own dot, but all of canada has to share one? This is bullshit.

Gonna steer clear of saskatchewan, that's for sure.

It is bullshit, but I did find this

:toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Burt Sexual posted:

So many of my irl and goon friends are going to lose their jobs and worse :smith:

I just want to know if I'm getting laid off or not, I'm hoping yes so I can try to claim employment insurance. All we've been told is our buildings are shut down but outdoor space is open, and anyone who works indoors has to stay home. 48 hours later, no additional info at all.