Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
imagine hating dril and liking a series where dollars to donuts someone at some point is going to face god and walk backwards into hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

:munch:

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

tamsYYYYYYYYYYYYYN

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

lyctor? i hardly knew 'er!

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

ragnarokette posted:

Ok this is what I was pretty much looking for. I think I got sold some bad expectations going in because I was told it was a light romance, and it's really not, at least yet

oh god no yeah this is not a romance by any standard definition

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

yall are babies, present tense is fine it's literally just some slightly different conjugations, it's much less of a difference than a radically unusual pov mode

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

ive said this before in this very thread but if no one in this series ever faces god and walks backwards into hell (zoo animals optional, but preferred) i will be very upset

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

I looked it up, it didnt seem spoilery at all to me but it does sketch out the structure of the book overall. But I'm not particularly sensitive about spoilers personally, so if you are, don't rely upon my assessment.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

DreamingofRoses posted:

The thing that I admire most/makes me most angry about that reference in Harrow is that I didn’t know that it’s a meme until I started following this thread. The way it’s said in the book just makes it sound natural by the character who says it, at least in the audiobook.

i think thats the thing that helps me tolerate the memes in the series so well-- they're applied fairly naturally, like you would if they're part of the normal vernacular of the people using them. I like them less when they stick out more, and I definitely remember there being a few of those, though I cant remember which specifically.

Jail for mother felt a little much to me iirc

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Tamsyn has said it's not Homestuck because it is clearly Final Fantasy 10 and honestly that makes way more sense. When I first heard that I didn't believe it at all but now I can't unsee it. Resurrection Beasts = Sin, Heralds = Sinspawn, Jod = Jecht, Harrow = YunaLulu, Gideon = AuronTidus.

mother FUCKER

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Nah that one line, specifically chosen to give as little as possible away and spoilered anyway, is as far as I'm gonna go. I will not talk about anything in Nona until after September from now on, Scout's honour. :toxx:

I just really want to, holy poo poo aaaa

is it ok to be jealous though

if its not ok i can make it up to you by letting you tell me all about it, it'll be a struggle but

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

also i assume there are a certain number of mysteries that we do not yet know are mysteries, cause there always are

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Yeah it's this + what happened to Isabel Falls causing the anxiety. I don't know why in particular it's queer folks in SF/F who get the worst of it, but there is a deeply puritanical sections of both that get off on acting like inquisitors and don't seem to really care whether their target has actually done anything wrong. Being a queer person in the public eye is hard enough right now without knowing part of your own "community" are looking for any excuse to ruin you.

god, yeah, it's hosed

and there's no getting away from it too, afaict; I've seen people who actually were lovely but took appropriate steps to stop and do their part to make appropriate amends with injured parties (some even successfully) who still have randos bringing up poo poo from ages ago

i didnt know the details what happened with muir but christ that sucks

there's still people i would outright deck* over the isabel fall thing who never even get brought up when people name bad actors.

*not a threat, just angry hyperbole, i feel silly clarifying but tbh with the way the world is rn i would rather be crystal clear that this is in no way a statement of intent or an actionable threat, i am just even now still so helplessly angry over that one

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

yes i'll...... definitely take this opportunity................. to avoid spoilers......

if you'll excuse me, i just have to... go to the kitchen... for a drink...

neongrey fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Jul 11, 2022

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

lol sniped just as i deleted it because it turns out the search inside does indeed contain quite a lot of text lol

e: flipped through some stuff, no comment beyond that im jazzed

neongrey fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Jul 11, 2022

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

seventh like a goddamn drama queen, wow, I cannot even

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

had to go through some hoops to get the ebook in hand but mostly because of how it was gifted me. have spent the day cuddling with my cats on the couch reading. cassie has fewer legs than Noodle but is almost as good. I would like to pet Noodle. this isn't based on anything spoilery, I take it as self evident that Noodle is even better than even the most cuddly rumbly lovable housecat who will come to cuddle even with just making eye contact with her.

also my weird insistence on learning foreign regionalisms is coming in handy even if it's not nearly as thorough as actually being from new zealand would be

neongrey fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Sep 13, 2022

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Captain_Person posted:

Good through a good chunk after my Kindle copy FINALLY arrived yesterday

Pretty confident that Nona is the Earth/'s Resurrection Beast. There was a discrepancy with the number of Beasts in Harrow that Jod failed to address, and I spotted this line when she went swimming:

"Bubbles rippled across her face as her laugh came out as oxygen."

Normal human people don't breath OUT oxygen, Nona!

In other news Jod continues to be the worst. It's a small crime in the grand scheme of things, but giving all of the Lyctors new names post-Resurrection, completing erasing their identity and failing to mention they were work collegues trying to stave off the apocalypse is some real lovely, gaslighting behaviour.

This book is also Kiwi as gently caress, I'm waiting to see if anybody tries to eat some ghost chips at some point.

yeah i think the speculation follows, agreed on the character comment. I have the taste in favourite characters.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Kesper North posted:

Under the grip of necrojod yes, but they were trying to do it without magical powers when they got the magical powers. My point was more that anyone sensible, or aware of the energy required to launch payloads of that size to orbit on the regular, would have realized there was no way the trillionaires weren't conning the world into building them an escape vehicle right from the start.

I dunno, I can accept miraculous flesh transmutation, but man, saving an entire human population by launching it into space on rockets just sounds like fantasy ;)

i mean realistically probably a fair few people cottoned on as well, but tbqh i spend enough time on twitter that i no longer doubt how many billionaire simps exist and how far up their own asses theyre willing to shove their heads

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

I seem to be the only one who remembers the meme of the dog going WHARGARBL.

i deffo caught that one

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Reclaimer posted:

His name is Gideon and Nona's Harrowbrain is still hosed up. She's getting it as Ortus.

Edit: Ortus is Latin for Rise or Birth or Dawn.

fuckin lmao

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

This got me thinking, and after a quick google search...

https://archiveofourown.org/works/35455642/chapters/88378069

why hello there, yes please and thank you

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

go to jail

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Got handed this video and thought of this thread for some strange unknown reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXKDu6cdXLI

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Happy Landfill posted:

Oooh, I wonder what they mean by "two color printing".

i sincerely hope jod's dialogue is all in red, like a bible

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

silvergoose posted:

My mind reflexively recoiled at the "35 slices of sandwich bread" and I'm not entirely sure why, I eat plenty of crap.

it just seems like an awfully big batch for what is clearly stoner food

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

the entire series is a setup for facing god and walking backward into hell

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

PupsOfWar posted:

Lesser detail from the play, but I suspect Ianthe is wrong about Coronabeth being a terrible swordswoman

Gideon (admittedly perhaps biased due to horniness) seemed at least somewhat impressed during their brief clash

And when Babs interrupted them and flipped out, the thing he emphasized was "I won't tell her".

My read is that she'd actually been training very seriously for a while (either trained by Babs or with his swordmaster) but they deemed it deathly important to conceal this from Ianthe and/or their parents

the big thing imo is I get the vibe that coronabeth wants to get eaten by Ianthe, so she's taken it as seriously as anyone practicing to be a cavalier. this is the last thing anyone else wants of course. but nabs can't say no to her...

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

ZShakespeare posted:

She's literally neurodivergent and a minor.

god dammit

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Huh. You know...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

I'm a lot more sympathetic to not giving an author poo poo for delays when they don't spend years promising "next year soon for real!" for years until they stop, george but feast for crows killed all my interest there anyway

so, you know, hope things improve for tamsyn soon lookin forward to the book but you know, the book's not the most important thing in this sentence