Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

I was recently stranded in Amsterdam for 13 hours after missing a connecting flight, then had another 12 hour flight from there - basically 48 hours without sleep, during which I binged the hell out of Nona. It's kind of a trend, I see.

When the narrative said Nona despised having hands, I knew precisely who and what she was and felt pretty smart about it but there were more and better clues earlier that I just didn't bite on.

Gideon will straight up simp for anyone that gives her the slightest amount of positive attention. Honestly to me that's her most vital character trait and it's something that's reflected in Nona too. Kiriona meanwhile is apallingly toxic and entirely devoid of that.

I gotta think that cheeseburger isn't fully digested if both Harrow and Nona can still interact with it. It's too awful to think Harrow went through all she did only to wind up permanently robbing Nav of the good parts of her and leaving her some spiteful warmonger.

Edit: Also the part where Nona goes Nona Time on the BoE hit squad and a mystery voice from her mouth tells her, "Fool. You're killing her."

Reclaimer fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Sep 30, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

but never killed

I actually got the impression that Pyrrha was more or less completely intact.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

but never killed

tiniestacorn posted:

This was my read. I understand the impulse to do soul quantum stuff, but the simplest answer to "why is Gideon acting like this?" is that she's suffered a tremendous number of serious traumas in short succession -- not to mention the baggage she's already carrying from her childhood in the Ninth -- and she's 19 years old.

When in this particular series has the simplest answer ever been the right one?

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

but never killed

DoctorWhat posted:

because undercutting character motivations and development (even in a negative direction) with "space god necromagic norted them" sucks

Whatever happened, happened offscreen anyways. Last we see of Gideon she's literally willing to die rather than promise loyalty to the Emperor, and she's threatening to tear Ianthe's whole rear end off.

disposablewords posted:

Hot Sauce's name.

gently caress, that's true.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

but never killed

sebmojo posted:

She just really likes hot sauce

https://twitter.com/ellieight_/status/1575964618081521664

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

but never killed

Everyone posted:

It especially doesn't make a lot of sense given that the next time we meet Gideon Nav in Nona she's introducing herself as Prince Kiriona Gaia, Heir to the Emperor Undying + a bunch of other fancified titles.

It's almost like Kiriona is not exactly Gideon anymore, and even has a different name to demarcate it. She's just the fries and the toy left in the box; the cheeseburger's still in Harrow and we can only speculate as to its status.

Edit: Bonus content

Reclaimer fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Oct 2, 2022

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

but never killed

DoctorWhat posted:

Harrow damages her brain's ability to remember Gideon. Like how antibodies have to remember a virus's code, Harrow can't digest Gideon if she doesn't have the right enzymes.

Harrow's eyes are black when Alecto revives her, she bleeds all over the place and passes out from six months of eating rocks and pen caps. You're probably right.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

but never killed

Danhenge posted:

I have a pet theory about Lyctorhood that I'm rolling around in my head, spoilers for some stuff from Nona but also earlier books.

The imperfect version that the original crop used creates a sort of neurological "ghost" of implicit memories and reflexes for stuff like fighting but doesn't seem to copy their declarative memories of personal events. The process of copying the implicit stuff chews up the soul of the cav, but obviously doesn't totally destroy the soul because something remains to power their necromancy. There's also plenty of stuff Necros don't get from Lyctoring their cavs because Ianthe mentions in Harrow that she doesn't have Naberius' needle point abilities. That's why Gideon could still fight in Harrow's body, because Harrow had already partially consumed Gideon ala the fighting skills in the final events of Gideon but she's rocking the rapier in Nona because that's all in Harrow's body. Pyrrha can still fight because her fighting ability is still resident in OG Gideon's body.

Maybe it's dumb but to me it feels like there's definitely some stuff about what resides in the body vs. the soul and I'm curious to see if the series ends up reconciling it.

Hell, maybe the ghosts in the river are so hostile because they can remember that John loving killed everyone.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

but never killed

Re-listening to HtN with a friend it's striking how much Abigail and Magnus are talking out of their asses after the Nonius/Wake duel. Like they're well-meaning but they're totally out of their element and don't know all the details, and they ought to to be aware that they don't.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

but never killed

Hargrimm posted:

Did it?

“No, I mean—your stance was good,” Camilla said slowly, as though trying to figure out how to say something. “Good grasp … two-handed.”
“Just like practise,” said Nona. “With the sword.”
Camilla said, “But we practise one-handed.”

Harrow tried very hard to not finish absorbing Gideon's soul, maybe she succeeded to some extent, and some Griddle juice was left in the original container while the other part stuck with Harrow. So Nona isn't a melange of 2 souls, but 3ish.

See, this and the way Nona is so incredibly thirsty for Every Girl.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

but never killed

cptn_dr posted:

I still don't buy it, it seems like it should be an all or nothing kind of deal and she very clearly doesn't translate eg. Camilla or SexPal or Kiriona.

That last one is already a transliteration of a name into a different language, so I just don't see the logic of "well she translates some names but not others". I think there's just a bunch of different types of names because there's refugees from dozens of different worlds and cultures, especially since they don't have the Houses-style cultural stagnation keeping all names in lockstep.

His name is Gideon and Nona's Harrowbrain is still hosed up. She's getting it as Ortus.

Edit: Ortus is Latin for Rise or Birth or Dawn.

Reclaimer fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Nov 9, 2022

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

but never killed

I read through the series first before listening to the audiobooks with my girlfriend and Nona really benefits from Mo Quirk doing different voices for all the characters.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

but never killed

Pollyanna posted:

Alright yeah, so then a lot of stuff just completely went over my head. I recall that Harrow was haunted/possessed by the Body and the Body was Alecto, but I guess I missed the part where Alecto woke up instead of Harrow. Hard for the narrative to go where it went otherwise, I suppose.

"I realised with exhausted indignation that, at the end of everything—after all I had been through—after the last word, the last strike, the last drop of blood in the water—your bullshit dead girlfriend had come to claim you."

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

but never killed

Pollyanna posted:

jesus loving christ ive been confusing taika waititi with jason mantzoukas.

omg jason mantzoukas as john tho

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

but never killed

Harold Fjord posted:

Honesty and hot sauce actually named Frank and Franks.

Translating makes it easier to keep them apart

Franky, Kevin, Gideon, Rubin and of course lil Frank's RedHot

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

but never killed

Senerio posted:

I love this series because you can torment other people who have read it by making jokes in front of people currently reading it.

I just called Nona the most down to earth girl, and had three friends angrily PM me about it.

Also thought experiement: We already know Alecto's theme, but what are Nona/Gideon/Harrow's themes?

Gideon
Harrow
Nona

Reclaimer fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Dec 7, 2022

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

but never killed

sebmojo posted:

It's worth reading Gideon's interactions with Nona very carefully, they're not actually as mean as they feel on first read? Like Nona says, Gideon is just incredibly, unbelievably sad.

"Chill."

Reclaimer fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Dec 11, 2022

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

but never killed

StumblyWumbly posted:

I'm not sure what you're referring to. What I'm talking about is that Alecto was the soul of the planet and John merged with her / ate her / Lyctored. The RBs are more like revenants, John accidentally killed them and now they want revenge.
Oh, John did kill Alecto (“This is the part where I hurt you. Are you ready?”). She was very first Resurrection, because he couldn't contain all her power.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

but never killed

Qwertycoatl posted:

I think probably not. I may be off base but I thought the others thought John had One Weird Trick to keep his cavailier alive but actually it was "just" that he used a planet rather than a person (and so a soul too big to fully eat)

I think that you're right in general, but also they didn't know Alecto was his cavalier until they met Gideon and pieced it together - the real, juicy secret there's that he unilaterally enacted the Apocalypse.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

but never killed

They're all hell years now, but at least the meme engine keeps chuggin along

https://twitter.com/kyotosparty/status/1586798843764477954

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

but never killed

M_Gargantua posted:

Ianthe isn't the problem, she's just the worst.

true, but

well someone else already said it best

bonus since im here

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

but never killed

John is very complicated but you do not, under any circumstances, gotta hand it to him.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

but never killed

I mean, who has the monopoly on telling that whole story? A 10,000 year-old Twitch streamer who lies like he breathes and calls himself loving God.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

but never killed

Zierham posted:

Also, did I miss something about why (GtN Spoiler) Gideon apparently despises the Fourth House teens in GtN? Like is it just jokey "TEENS SUCK" energy (from a nearly-teen herself) or is there something about them that is lovely? They're referred to pejoratively throughout GtN without any real explanation other than the Fourth House seems kinda obsessed with suicide-by-necrowar and - again - they're teens. I'm in my 30s so if its just meant to be "ugh, TEENAGERS" then that's fine, but making sure I didn't miss something else? Obviously Gideon seems to care for them by the time they get boned later in GtN, but I still couldn't really understand the "awful teens" lingo throughout...?

The only teenager that Gideon has ever known in her entire life is Harrowhark.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

but never killed

Everyone posted:

And it's not really about saving the Nine Houses. It's about saving every man, woman and child that lives in the system, which as far as we can tell contains the large majority of what is now human civilization. Saving Jod at that point isn't about supporting him or approving of his action (though presumably Ianthe does both of those things). It's about keeping most of the rest of the human species alive.

I mean, it's more explicit later but most of the human species is not in fact in the Nine Houses, but spread out across the universe living under the promise of aggression by the Nine Houses. Getting rid of the Nine=liberation from the genocidal oppression of Immortal Magic Elon Musk. The Cohort are literal jackbooted thugs and for the most part the Houses exist to feed that war machine.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

but never killed

Zierham posted:

But this just means all 200 of her peers hated and bullied her :(

Also, its explicitly said that Ortus is among the total-of-200 but doesn't die, right? So Harrow actually is 1 [herself] +199 souls? I vaguely remember they keep saying she has 200 dead kids inside of her or otherwise referencing genociding 200 but isn't that off by 1 cause Ortus' mom intervened to make sure he wasn't killed?

Ortus was barely too old.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

but never killed

M_Gargantua posted:

Out of 201 under the age of 19 the survivors were Gideon (just shy of age 2) and "one older boy". Ortus would have been 17 at the time so it's probably him they're referring too.

Ortus is 35 in GtN isn't he? And Gideon is 18, making him 17 years older. If Gideon was 2 then Ortus was 19.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

but never killed

sebmojo posted:

Māori and Asian (e.g Chinese/Japanese/vietnamese) are both ~17% of nz roughly

Commander wake as described looks very Māori and John explicitly is iirc, so Gideon definitely would be.

Is Wake from one of the Houses or is she descended from one of the Elon Musk-types that escaped John's tantrum?

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

but never killed

Everyone posted:

The thing about the trillionaires is that they weren't going to be trillionaires once they reached habitable planets.

Fine, being the heir to Jeff Bezos and Sam Walton got you a seat on the USS Get The gently caress Off the Planet. Still once you land on Earth II (and probably even before that) your wealth ceases to matter. Maybe you brought along your badass Ex-Navy SEAL bodyguard/survivalist. Once you get dirtside again, he's the one who knows how to survive in the wilderness and start building shelters and getting food. So at that point if you want to live, he's the one in charge. And when he tells you to grab a shovel and dig a latrine or you don't get food, you dig that latrine so you can get food.

Fast forward a few centuries/millennia and you start getting attacked by weird fuckers who can raise the loving dead against you because they work for some psycho who tried to kill your ancient ancestors.

They didn't, like, isekai into Rust. They had fully-equipped space ships full of, presumably, advanced technology and freeze-dried astronaut rations or whatever. The rich would've still been the most wealthy in terms of material goods, unless the laborers mounted a revolution and took it all by force.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

but never killed

sebmojo posted:

Silas Vanilla Thinshake

*Mayonnaise

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

but never killed

Happy Landfill posted:

Please someone tell be there's a Griddlehark version of this

https://twitter.com/kojironanjo/status/1661772826897002507?s=20

...or, honestly, Ianthe and Coronabeth

https://twitter.com/candied_corpses/status/1662113790094376960

https://twitter.com/serhawke/status/1662122873882923010

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

but never killed

Couldn't find one with the Tridentarii but you know I don't wanna leave you empty handed.

https://twitter.com/PhiaCos/status/1578198570964234245

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

but never killed

The Ninth is just a prison for Alecto. It's unclear how much the Eighth would know about that at the time though.

Cristabel's the nun, and that's also why everyone hated her; she had a fanatical nun personality.

John mentions that when he had to make a vessel for Alecto, all he could think about was a Hollywood Hair Barbie he used to play with as a child (Not Hollywood Hair Ken, though, that guy's a creep). This is shortly after he kills everyone.

The choice is whether or not to accept Gideon's sacrifice. Almost everything she does in HtN is with the goal of not letting Gideon be absorbed into her, even if she doesn't realize it at the time. It works! But they both die anyways.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

but never killed

I think Anastasia knew that John had hosed her and Samael over on purpose.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

but never killed

She said in an interview that her kids hate when she does voices while reading them bedtime stories.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

but never killed

silvergoose posted:

Literally every question you have in Harrow has a spoilery answer, or "we don't know yet, wait for Alecto" it's great

Hell yeah. I think, after rereading and listening to all of them, Harrow ends up being the one I think is the best, and Gideon the most comforting, but it's all so good and so to my taste.

Harrow really is the best, her voice comes through as such a spidery creeper. Like she sounds like the sinister advisor of some king who's trying to turn him against the heroes for nefarious purposes.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

but never killed

"What in the world" indeed

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

but never killed

silvergoose posted:

One of the best run on sentences I've ever read.

And she doesn't even know it's her mom at the steering wheel yet.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

but never killed

Then we get into the billions of souls he's just keeping in his back pocket for a rainy day, gee wonder if keeping souls in cold storage for millennia does something bad to them and that's why the Ninth is infested with hellworms after getting a fresh batch of resurrecteds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

but never killed

Saraiguma posted:

life on return to battle of the planet of the billionaires in Nona doesn't really seem like roses and sunshine either tbh

That planet's currently occupied by the Cohort and is suffering from overcrowding and scarcity due to a refugee crisis caused by the imperialists murdering liveable planets with death magic, not fair to pin that on the people. We haven't really seen how their society might work when they're not embroiled in a forever war with a narcissistic Twitch streamer.