Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

At this stage all I really want out of Alecto is to give me some basic answers about the world-built, and I'll be super happy. It's already a cherished trilogy no matter what the third one does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Foxfire_ posted:

There's one spot on her tumblr where Muir summarizes all three books thusly:

- Gideon was about two girls crammed into a bloodstained get-along shirt
- Harrow is about two girls who are not enjoying this Duke of Ed residential very much
- Alecto will be about girls being annoyed that it is legal for their exes to talk to each other

....I can get behind this.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Trying to hold off on a full re-read until Alecto is closer to release, but I dunno if I can wait, these books are just too drat much fun.

I should've read Gideon again before starting Harrow, I'd lost a lot of the plot and kept having to look up what everyone was talking about. Still loved it!

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Entropic posted:

If we can get the thread title changed I want to keep it saying Trilogy just for that Douglas Adams energy.

The Increasingly Inaccurately-Named Locked Tomb

Edit: vvv :thejoke: vvv

mdemone fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Aug 2, 2021

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

silvergoose posted:

my 6yo to my 3yo, talking about moving a bunch of magnet tiles around

"while you get into pajamas, I'll continue The Work"

and all I could think of is Harrow's goddamn letter

My kids are weird like this and it's honestly the best part of parenthood

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Ooooh poo poo I just realized I've lost the whole drat plot of Harrow. I really do not want to re-read until Nona is here, but.....

....I kinda want to.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Pretty much all I can remember about the plot of these books is, "I really enjoy this".

Fuuuuuck.

Okay next re-read I'm going to allow myself to peek at online resources for, e.g., the timeline.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I think it's fine that there is subtext and I hope Muir doesn't feel the pressure to raise it into the text. It's good representation as it stands currently.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

God damnit that's a long loving time

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

There's no way there can be a burger on there. Burgers do not exist in the era shown.

Wait. I totally forgot everything that happened. I better reread it again

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

GoodluckJonathan posted:

I took a peek and can only vaguely remember who these characters are. It doesn't help they were barely in Harrow. Given how difficult Harrow was to follow even reading DIRECTLY after Gideon I guess I need to re-read? Maybe there's a summary somewhere?

I keep re-reading but it always slides off my perfectly smooth brain. Not very many books treat me this way.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Okay, maybe I'll give the audiobooks a shot. I usually hate them but I'm willing to try.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Ornamented Death posted:

Publishers don't really care about people selling ARCs. Or rather, they'll grumble, but won't actually do anything.

It's hella good publicity for something like that to happen anyway

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

*throws hat down and stomps on it*

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

gently caress, now I have to re-read. I've decided I can do with a synopsis of Gideon but I want to actually read Harrow again before starting Nona.

Damnit

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I'm still on John's side.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

disposablewords posted:

He's a terrible person but a good character. Just like so many others in this series. It's so full of great awful characters.

He's a great character. I'd never have thought I'd want to root for an actual God-character in a novel.

I'm not saying he hasn't made mistakes.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

silvergoose posted:

The horror in Harrow's head at Mercy calling God something as human as John was so good.

Just finished rereading Harrow and the entire dynamic between the Lyctors and John was outstandingly well-written.

"I didn't get to where I am by being able to die, you know?"

mdemone fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jul 12, 2023

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Dawgstar posted:

Or any time he would offer Harrow tea and a cookie.

He's so likable. He didn't mean for all this to happen, obviously, but now here we are.

Edit: I don't see him as horrible or evil, as a person. Disclaimer, I am just now starting Nona.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

sebmojo posted:

Oh yeah, that's the trick. He's so sorry about all the things he did. He wishes they were different.

"Could we maybe stop eating planets, then?"

"No."

Well I subscribe to voluntary extinction theory so that might be informing my choice here

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

mllaneza posted:

Bone broth, that loving slayed me. And Ortus1 !

Is that the scene where John says "okay, stop."

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

"Okay, stop." is the point where I forever joined his side

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Y'all are always talking about stuff that I realize I didn't even catch, and I'm 2/3 through second read

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

PupsOfWar posted:

I envisioned the flashbacks as happening somewhere vaguely 2070-2100ish based on how bad the climate had gotten - even if the powers that be continue doing as awful a job on this front as they are currently, we should be several decades out from conditions that'll make rich countries really panic in the way the book depicts

I dunno, so far we are outstripping our own predictions pretty consistently.

I haven't read Nona yet so I won't comment further.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Lol I'm pretty sure Jod was meant to be Captain Planet (in the "magical champion of Gaia" sense, not in the "by your powers combined" sense). He's also basically what happens when a teenage edgelord gets given that power.

I'm still on his side.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Still on John's side. Mistakes were made, can't fix it now. Just gotta move forward, on to Cincinnati

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

Guys as careful as John don't have accidents.

That brief mask-off moment in Nona has killed any benefit of doubt that I might have given him, and no amount of thanergy is going to resurrect it. I know that type of predator all too well: someone who hides their abuse behind a fumbling persona, while knowing exactly what they are doing and reveling in it.

Who knows what we might do, if given the power of a god?

To me it's the central thorn of the quadrilogy. I can imagine being both the predator and thinking myself the savior.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

PupsOfWar posted:

honestly i feel like any ambiguity is gone the moment we find out what the Cohort does to planets

Forget if that's late in GtN or early in HtN

My man was mad his planet died so he made a death cult to kill every planet he could find...literally a millennia-long campaign to render the galaxy (universe?) uninhabitable

The other day my students were playing a version of Hangman but for phrases or quotes

One was "the voluntary human extinction movement".

John wasn't wrong. He was just ahead of the curve.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

sebmojo posted:

I think he's one of the legit best villains in fiction

It really could be a great movie trilogy except for the fact that whoever made it would absolutely gently caress it up

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

cptn_dr posted:

Dios Apate, the awkward three-way Rugby World Cup handshake of the future.

I appreciate the fact that all the other characters expressed how gross that whole thing was. It actually made the plot device work for me, whereas otherwise I probably would have found it jarring.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

StumblyWumbly posted:

I like to think I would not immediately turn off the Sun or genocide humanity so I could resurrect most of the folks I don't hate, but I definitely would eat peanuts in meetings and play tablet games all the time.

There have been a lot of Necro-Lord Primes in literature, but John is definitely the most relatable one, the one I would have a beer with.

I'm suddenly struck by how much John resembles the Emperor in the WH40K universe (before the Heresy and Siege of Terra, obv)

I wonder if this was at least partially on Muir's mind as a character influence.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Kesper North posted:

afaik she's said as much in interviews

Primarchs, Houses, old empires lost to the Dark Ages

I must have read her comments on that and then forgot about it. But it is very interesting, and possibly why I still have an affinity for John.

Empy did nothing "wrong on purpose", but he hosed it all up anyway. Same vibes.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Benagain posted:

I get what you're saying but also even the most benevolent interpretation of the emperor he's a fascist xenophobe who has exterminated countless other species and cultures because they didn't fit into his interpretation of humanity whether or not they were being seduced by the literal satanic energy permeating the universe. Just like John, only John's version of the alien, mutant, heretic is being descended from a billionaire.

That's why the real heroes are the Necrons.

But yea! That's what I'm saying! We should kill all the billionaires!

I'm glad you have attended my Emp/Jod talk

Edit: I agree that the Necrons are clearly the good guys.

mdemone fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Oct 20, 2023

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

sebmojo posted:

John is brilliant because everything about him is so charming but he's like like Hitler x10,000 in pure objective evil terms

Hustle wins the day

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

M_Gargantua posted:

If you had stopped at "is a billionaire" without the lifetime family ban I think there would be much less arguement.

Ooh I think you have gotten to what Muir wanted to point you to. It doesn't matter for her story because it's all after that. But she wants you to sympathize with the destruction of the capitalist world.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I didn't say it yet but this is perhaps the most serious exploration of hermeneutical communism that I know of in fiction

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

disposablewords posted:

A lot of that comes out after we get first impressions of him as someone actually caring and supportive toward Harrow, and with a mix of self-deprecating humor and faint exasperation about actually being in the god-king position. And first impressions actually can be really powerful, so of course that colors people's views of him even knowing more of what a monster and a fake he is. Especially since GtN gets the reader over the hurdle of normalizing this weird and gross society with weird and gross magic underpinning it, by making a lot of the people we see involved with it just be people. It's extremely fair to be conflicted about John, to still kind of like or at least pity him a little even while learning to hate him, to hate what he's done and created.

I maintain that virtually everyone, if granted his power, would gently caress it up in a variety of ways which are all essentially the same ways. This is just three-wishes stuff, the entire point of the fable is that absolute power corrupts absolutely.

I don't pity him but I do understand him.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Ugh again with the bones you sour old hag

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I had that album, it was a double CD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I'm moving on to step 7 now which might explain why I'm still not totally out on John