Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Welcome to Fix It Fast, the thread where you can get help fixing things. Fast!

The previous iteration of this thread is here!

We have several megathreads that may be able to offer faster or more in-depth answers for common household issues:
This is not an exhaustive list of the megathreads in this forum, if there's one you feel should be added to the OP, please PM me!

PSA:

Motronic posted:

Sorry you went through that, but never, ever hire a contractor associated with/referred out from Home Depot/Lowes/whatever else.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Apr 2, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Offsite Resources: (Please PM me to report broken links and submit new sites)

General:
  • Popular Mechanics: How-To-Central - Has a few great tutorials for free. Also the home-journal section has some interesting articles.
  • Make Magazine - An awesome site for projects both large and small, and advice on how to reuse broken devices to make fun new items.
  • Instructables - Really good DIY website with a good layout. Tons of stuff.
  • Craftster - a huge crafting forum filled with lots of tutorials on just about everything

Home:
  • Fixitnow.com - Great advice and information on how to diagnose and repair home appliances.
  • Bob Vila's - website on home improvement, with video guides. Mostly little tips, but useful.
  • This Old House - You've seen the show, this is their site. Very commercial, but useful tips and well written articles.
  • Repair Clinic - Repair parts for appliances, diagrams, and manuals!
  • Ask the builder - Short video guides and walkthroughs. Mostly links to youtube videos.

Electronics:
  • Nuts and Volts - Mid-grade electronics tinkering, this has some great project ideas and is a great resource for your up and coming mad scientist.
  • 68kMLA - Retrocomputing forum specializing in old Apple products but with a skilled and active hardware hacking scene, including guides for repairing old CRTs.
  • EEVBlog Forum - Electronics greybeards discussing electronic things, for intermediate skill levels and above.

Sewing:

corgski fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Oct 18, 2020

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Highlights!

Mutata's Drywall Patching Guide

corgski fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Oct 19, 2020

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Thanks! I just went through the offsite resource list from the old OP and pruned all the 404 errors and ad search landing pages, so any and all resources you can suggest are appreciated!

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Already in there, TraderStav!

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Defective glass would have cracks spiderwebbing out from one of the edges wherever it was chipped and then eventually failed from heating and cooling cycles, not a clean hole through the middle of the pane like that.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

For climbing applications, self-retracting lifelines are pretty common. For lifting loads it's likely you'd use some form of a friction brake on the rope instead to arrest progress in the event you let go rather than lower it back down.

The solution to "in the event a line breaks" in the rigging world is generally to inspect your ropes before each use, replace damaged ropes, don't ever exceed the WLL, do your load calcs, and don't stand under the load so you never have a line break to begin with, and if it somehow still does it's only property damage.

corgski fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Nov 3, 2020

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Keep in mind that brakes like I'm referring to are designed to stop runaways, not lower loads in a controlled manner - usually spring loaded cams or pins that will bind the mechanism when it exceeds a certain speed and stop the fall at the expense of a shitton of wear on the rope and mechanism.

corgski fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Nov 3, 2020

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

DaveSauce posted:

Yeah pro-tip: If you find a storage tote you like, stock up. We had a 19 gallon we liked, but only bought as needed. Then when we needed more, we found out it's not made anymore. So now we have mismatched totes.

Yes absolutely this. Sterlite made a fantastic tote with hinged lids that they discontinued and so now I have a bunch of shittier totes with loose lids that also don't stack together. :argh:

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Putting a halogen/incandescent in a fixture rated for LEDs will burn your house down. Don't do it.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

I have a chunk of old carpet in my shed that I throw down under my cars when I'm working on them. It's mostly for comfort and to keep bolts and sockets from bouncing when they inevitably get dropped, but it's also pretty good at picking up any dribbles during the process.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Home depot contractors the PO hired were responsible for the flashing installed on top of our shingles.

If you get a good contractor from a big box store it was a mistake.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Ideas for removing the wash plate from a Maytag Bravos washing machine, model MVWX655DW1?

Youtube videos show people wiggling it up after they remove the center bolt or at worst having to tap it with a hammer a few times and mine still isn't moving even after all that, plus grabbing it with channel locks and lifting up until the entire drat drum touched the lid, plus letting it soak in hot water, and now I'm trying soaking the center spline connection with penetrating oil.

I'd like to not destroy it since the part I need to replace is $30 and the wash plate is over $100 but it's getting to that point.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

I've had the bolt in and out with an impact driver about a half dozen times, I also tried threading it in and tapping it with a mallet while lifting the plate with channel-locks and neither seemed to do much.

I'm not sure what CLP is in this context but I do have a big box of TSP if soaking it in a solution of that might work.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

best bale posted:

Can’t hurt! I guess it could but I hear that stuff recommended for most everything. Maybe talk pretty to it?

I called it a lot of names I like to be called but as far as I can tell it's not any looser. TSP soak is happening now.

Elviscat posted:

I'd try a two or three jaw bearing puller myself, you should be able to rent one for free from most auto parts stores

Problem is there's nothing to bear against, there's a 6mm hole in the center which is the exact same size as the hole in the splined shaft in the center and the plate is like 14" wide so even if I could find a puller small enough to fit through that hole that could also somehow grab the plastic and not the threaded hole it wouldn't be able to reach past the wash plate.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

No but what you can do is expose some lath above or below and use wood glue and some scrap wood thinner than the plaster to put a surface in for it to bear against like I did here with a mantle outlet that was originally installed way too low.

Only do that in spots that’ll be hidden since the patch will never look right however.

Or do it the right way and use expanded metal mesh stapled to the lath on either side if you’re really confident in your ability to put down new plaster.

corgski fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Dec 22, 2020

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Like I said in the other thread, if you want to diy it buy several high output blowers, remove any insulation and drywall that got wet, and blow air through there until it feels bone dry and then continue for another week or two.

But the suggestion you pay a professional is 100% the better option.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

For unfinished spaces I’d recommend something like these, or the much more expensive but more reliable Feit or Cree products in the same vein.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Commerc...83141/206028970

Five of these light my entire 25x30 basement, for reference.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Qubee posted:

I currently have a single socket in my bedroom and I want to upgrade it to a double socket. I've looked online and it seems relatively straight forward? Kill power from main fuse board, double check to make sure wires aren't live (with a socket checker or multimeter). Then it's a simple case of removing old housing and putting a double housing over it, and wiring the new double socket up.

Is there anything I'm missing or anything I can potentially gently caress up? I've got all my computer stuff connected to this single socket and I can't plug in my electric heater. Found out that it was a very stupid thing but thankfully didn't get any electrical fires (I'd smell a very strong fishy smell and assumed it was my old electric heater, but buying a new one still caused the smell and I realised it was the socket outlet). Will putting in a double socket let me have computer equipment plugged into one with a multiplug and the electrical heater plugged into the other without overloading the sockets? Or is it a case of the wiring at the socket not being rated for the amount I'm trying to draw, and a double socket setup won't fix that?

Here’s the electrical thread which can answer your question.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3090739&perpage=40&noseen=1&pagenumber=357

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

redbrouw posted:

I'm considering going tankless for the water heater, primarily because it's stored out in the garage and it's cold as gently caress out there. They have a little electric heater installed to keep it warm. It's just the two of us, and we don't tend to use anything at the same time. There is a pretty huge bathtub, but I guess tankless would just mean it would take a little longer to fill?

I’ll give you the same advice I got when I was getting my water heater replaced:

Power vented gas tankless is nice, especially if it’s only two people. Electric tankless heaters aren’t so hot and are only really useful as boosters for commercial dishwashers. People run into problems when they undersize the heater for their usage, the winter inlet temperature, or both, and or when they don’t have a suitable gas supply (typically 3/4”)

Personally my fiancé and I got a Navien NPE240 in our house and it’s had no trouble keeping up, even with both a shower and the washer going at the same time. It also costs significantly less to run than your typical lovely 40gal tank, which offsets the somewhat higher initial outlay.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

melon cat posted:

Tankless units need to be flushed out periodically and if you don't keep up with maintenance they can fail quite early in their life cycle.

Yeah, unlike tank heaters which will limp along with a decade of lime scale in the tank, tankless heaters really do need to be cleaned annually. Usually it's just something like taking a small pump and some length of hose and backfeeding it with cleaning solution for 30 minutes once a year. Not onerous, but something to keep in mind.

Here's an example of the annual maintenance for my model:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rF9ndoxBY_E

corgski fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Feb 25, 2021

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Currently getting some quotes for repointing our brick foundation. 1924 construction, so I thought you should use a softer mortar - one of the guys I talked to on the phone went on an on about using hydraulic cement.

I thought if you used a mortar that was a lot harder than the brick it can cause the bricks to crack. Should I be weary of this company?

You’re correct to be concerned, you need to find a mason who works with older foundations and knows how to match the hardness and permeability of the original mortar.

Old foundations are designed to dry to the inside and any waterproofing material applied to the interior, including hydraulic cement, will cause foundation damage.

corgski fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Mar 19, 2021

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

The Slack Lagoon posted:

PO put up whitewash - will that damage the brick?

Also I should say the foundation is cement with a few feet of brick on top of the cement, so it's not entirely brick

If all the brick is above grade then that's different and you have more leeway in getting the perfect mortar mix versus using something close enough, but you still wouldn't want to cover it with hydraulic cement or use a modern mortar blend.

By whitewash do you mean limewash? That's a traditional way of treating brick and not going to cause any issues, it's very permeable and basically just functions as an ablative layer for erosion. If they painted it, it'll eventually flake off from trapped moisture and look like rear end but it's also not at all durable so it'll still be the point of failure before the brick. The "traditional" interior coating to watch out for is parging, since if it's not done with something that exactly matches the permeability of the brick and mortar it'll cause tons of erosion behind it.

corgski fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Mar 20, 2021

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

The Lutron is available in a lot of esoteric colors while the contractor pack GFCIs are usually only found in black, white, almond/ivory, and grey.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Lever splices like the wago 221s are fine as long as you prepare your connections exactly properly and don't just jam a previously twisted wire in there or something with the wrong amount of insulation stripped. Push-in splices have all the same issues as backstabs and should be avoided at all costs. They basically just exist so cut-rate builders can throw up an entire subdivision worth of McMansions before they start to collapse in on themselves. Personally I use wing nuts (e.g. Ideal 451) because that's what was used when I was taught and IMO there can only be benefits to making sure your wires have a good mechanical connection to each other directly that isn't dependent on a connector.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Years ago when I lived in a lovely part of town, having a very visible IP camera just meant that people put on masks before grabbing deliveries off my doorstep, so I took it down and started shipping stuff to a PO box. And I don't think package theft is exactly endemic to the suburban neighborhoods these cloud-connected IoT cameras are marketed to, so they're probably even more useless there except as nextdoor post bait. I know my house came with two and I pulled power to them and plan on removing them when I get around to working on the spots where they're installed.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

What’s the best way to clean up the powder from a BC dry chemical extinguisher?

I stupidly had one of those on my electronics workbench because it was cheaper than a halotron 1 extinguisher and now that I’ve had to use it I’m regretting it.

corgski fucked around with this message at 09:41 on May 31, 2021

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Old capacitors fail catastrophically and sometimes they decide blue smoke isn’t enough and try to take the rest of the circuit with them too.

Sadly the only picture I have of the aftermath right this second isn’t that interesting, you can barely see where the failed caps are.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

H110Hawk posted:

:laffo:

Yeah wear a respirator and chemical goggles. Take it outside whatever you do, and hepa vac whatever is left inside. Expect to be finding that powder literally forever.

It's basically baking soda and silica. You can literally hose stuff down if you want.

Cool. I’m definitely getting a halon or halotron extinguisher to replace it. :negative:

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

AmbassadorofSodomy posted:

Mods:

Hobbies, Crafts, & Houses › Fix It Fast: The Quick Question And DIY Resource Megathread: That's your ceiling

Check the forum title. :getin:

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Any time I need to make up a nut that needs to look pretty I just do the electrical tape thing like Kaiser suggested. Works a charm.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

MeKeV posted:

What are the rules on multiple cross posts? I've put this in a general thread earlier, then found the plumbing thread. Though I probably should have come straight in here...

HVAC (E: or plumbing) thread would probably have the best information for you but that said, I don't know they're going to be able to help at all with a tankless water heater purchased on Amazon from a dropshipper in China. Part of what you're paying for when you buy brand name (literally any brand name) is the support and parts availability from domestic suppliers. Without that your best bet would be tracking down the manufacturer in China (which is probably not the brand on the amazon listing) and trying to get support direct from them. There's no way to possibly know if it has any facility for cross-compatibility or frankly if it's even suitable for its intended purpose with the information available on the listing.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3761260

E: If you have friends or family with experience working directly with Chinese manufacturing supply chains (i.e. not through a broker who does all the difficult bits) I'd recommend hitting them up for help.

corgski fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jun 24, 2021

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Yeah sorry I think in this case you’re poo poo outta luck. If it was a reputable brand like Haier, parts and support for what you’re trying to do might be possible to come by but that has nothing at all to go on.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Tezer posted:

Drowning animals is pretty hosed up. If you're going to kill the chipmunk, kill it, don't torture it. Chipmunks can swim, so it takes a while for them to drown. Really messed up.

Yeah drowning traps and glue traps are both extremely hosed up. Get a bunch of quick-kill mousetraps and a jar of Jif and spam them everywhere.

If you have pets and you're worried about them getting to it, buy some cheap tupperware containers and put holes in the sides for the rodents to get in to reach the trap.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

When faced with that problem we found a cheap lawn guy to run a mower over everything once a month and the neighbors can just deal with the clover that’s taking over as the grass dies off without PO’s aggressive fertilization and pesticide regime.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

You could try hempex or any of the other synthetic ropes made to replace hemp rigging on boats. I’m not sure how well it would adhere to wood glue specifically but there are other glues that would work for sure.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

DreadLlama posted:

I guess I mean cheap glue. Wood glue is $40 for 3L but resin is closer to $100. I'm trying to freeze a catenary arch into a bunch of ropes to make the rigid back of a solar cooker. So it's a lot of rope and a lot of glue. I guess I should have asked "What is the cheapest rope / glue combination?"

Ah, ok. If it's not for decorative purposes I'd just buy some crappy cotton sash cord and do some experiments to figure out how much it actually shrinks when you're forming it and then just account for that in your cuts. If you want something that doesn't shrink at all you're looking at probably solid braid polyester rope and that's gonna be a lot more expensive, not to mention that depending on how it's coated the wood glue may not absorb at all.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

3M 6041 citrus base adhesive remover

Make sure you use it in a well ventilated area, the fact that it’s natural terpenes doesn’t make them any less of an irritant, much less a solvent. That poo poo will strip paint if you’re not careful, but it does a number on glues too.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

tangy yet delightful posted:

You'll want a good monitor to edit the footage on so you're not creating something that looks like dogshit on anything except your bespoke but bad monitor [snip]

Not that this is the monitor thread but to expand on this point:

I can wholeheartedly recommend the Asus ProArt line for affordable calibrated monitors. I use a pair of the 24" PA248QV monitors on my editing rig. However, anything that has a calibrated rec.709 mode will work for your use case. Springing for 100% Adobe RGB or DCI-P3 gamut is overkill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

H110Hawk posted:

I can't believe convinced someone on the internet to bash a hole in their ceiling. :stare:

It’s the power of the star. Use it wisely, young padawan.