Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

DELETE CASCADE posted:

any recommendations for chemicals to get paint off a tile shower floor? on some tiles that are less worn, it scrapes right off in big chunks. on other tiles, it's like there are these tiny bits trapped in the tile and i can scrape all day and it won't come off

e: just to be clear this is not a case of "whoops i just spilled some paint on the tile", it's more like "motherfuckers PAINTED THE TILE and it's been there for years"

Demolition hammer?

Sounds like the tile was at least slightly porous, I don't think you'll ever get it all out.

You could do something terrible like this. It's certainly not ideal to go over existing tile, but it's probably fine if it's in good shape already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

floWenoL posted:

Cool thanks, wire brush and Vaseline sounds like what I want!

Follow up question: re. "getting that 2nd picture's nut off without the bolt spinning in the retaining ring", would it help to grip the bolt with something (vise grip, etc.) while trying to get the nut off? I can see that loving up the threading, but maybe I can just grip the top part which I'd snap off anyway...

You can try, but the bolt might snap off anyway.

Before you get started, consider if you want to replace the toilet if one of the bolts snaps. If you end up having to pull the toilet because a bolt snapped, replacing the entire toilet is not much more work then just replacing the bolt.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

SkyeAuroline posted:

So if you were in an apartment, unable to drill or otherwise permanently modify the place, but needed some way to insulate a sliding glass door and a window that are both leaking ridiculous amounts of cold air even after complex maintenance comes out and seals the cracks... how would you do it?

Figuring out why my "heated" air is blowing cold is their problem, but my desk is near the glass door and my bed is near the window, and both get freezing cold after sundown.

this for both (assuming you don't need to access either until spring)

Just be careful what you put the double sided tape on, it would be easier to remove if you can put it on metal/plastic rather then drywall.

Don't skip the hair dryer step or it'll look like poo poo.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

SkyeAuroline posted:

I've got a pack of this for each one; I'd rather keep the patio access available if possible, and I'm hesitant to actually put it up with winter hopefully ending eventually, but since my concern extends into summer we'll see there.

Yeah, I'm looking at tension rods, the big issue there is nobody wants to list how much weight their tension rods hold reliably, and the few that do are "don't hang anything more than a sheet of bloody paper off this". Any recommendation?

Can you tell where it's leaking from? If it's from between the joints, replacing the weatherstripping is pretty straightforward, and no one is going to notice or complain that you've done it.

If it's between the glass and the frame, you can use some clear caulk (again, no one will notice).

In every apartment I've been in, they say "dont put holes in the wall", but what they really mean is "don't leave any holes in the wall after you move out", so I've always just hung whatever and spackled + painted the holes. I've never gotten charged for it either.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Final Blog Entry posted:

Absolutely and I should have put more emphasis on the "high quality" part of my post. Spending an extra $10 or more per gallon to jump up in quality levels will be worth it every time in saved time, aggravation, and amount of paint used.

I was shocked at how much better the Benjmain Moore Regal Select was then the stuff I was getting from the Lowes. I was able to cover the entire room in two coats with a single gallon. As a bonus, I didn't have to wait around for 30 minutes for someone at Lowes to show up at the paint desk.

I also got to witness a couple talking to an employee there about things like "what's the most popular shade of grey", and "can we return this if we don't like the color". I fully understand why the employee looked pissed off when I showed up.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

SkyeAuroline posted:

Requesting a moment of humoring a dumb question while I fight with my landlord to get poo poo fixed here. My heat in my apartment is not great, nor is it helped by imperfect insulation. All that said, I've tracked down another problem - a poorly mounted vent that's leaking a lot of the hot air my "furnace" (Apollo HydroHeat, it's basically a hot water radiator inside a forced air unit) generates into the mechanical closet instead of sending it up the vent. Which is probably why my "hot air vents" are putting out 72 F air to try and maintain 70 F, and why it's constantly running. From looking it over, it looks like one side isn't all the way down, and the air that leaks is coming from that corner and shooting straight out.

The corner that's leaking is directly behind the "cold return" pipe.
  • Could I safely clean it off and apply that metallic duct tape to keep the air in as an interim measure, until I can get facility maintenance out to actually give a poo poo about checking their hardware? It wouldn't be a perfect seal but less leak is less leak; I just don't want a fire hazard or something.
  • There are no visible brackets, screws, anything on this duct. Is there any way to get it better fitted? I only have hand tools and my dominant hand is currently limited on twisting/flexing due to an injury, so I'm working with really limited means here.
  • Is there anything else I should keep an eye on with this unit? First time I've had one of these weird hybrid units and it's... less than effective.

Most of an overall view, minus the floor.

Just curious, have *you* ever replaced the filter in that? Those filter access screws look pristine, I'd be surprised if that cover has ever been removed.

Honestly your time is probably going to be better spent looking up the tenant right laws where you live. They're probably obligated to provide you with hot water at X temperature, and getting that fixed will probably help your heat issues.

We had some hot water issues at one of our apartments, we started documenting water temperatures at different times of day, and finally got the problem fixed when we called up management and said we're going to the health department tomorrow. Management supervisor came out that day and the issue was mysteriously fixed immediately.

Their installation doesn't appear to match what the manufacturer suggests, so talking to code enforcement to see if they pulled permits would be an option as well.

devicenull fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Feb 23, 2021

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

The bedroom window in my apartment came with cheap blinds that are no longer in great condition. I want to install some curtains and am a little overwhelmed by options as far as curtain rods and brackets. Any pointers on how to select the appropriate hardware would be greatly appreciated.

I swear by these Ikea ones, but it's only cost effective if you can go to Ikea

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

melon cat posted:

I need some help re-doing my very, very old home's bathroom ventilation setup. Right now it's a dumb mess and I want to slap whoever did it.

• Is this un-insulated flexible white ducting (seems to be some sort of very thin plastic) appropriate to use? Because the way this attic got "finished" I don't have much space to work with and the existing ducting is already quite snug.
  • Is it okay to have two fans join at a Y-connector like this?

I can put another hole in the roofing if necessary. Getting the whole roof re-shingled this spring so the timing to do so would be perfect.

If you're getting the roof redone - I'd put the 'attic bathroom' duct as high up on the roof as you can, so you don't have to worry about it sloping downwards to meet the existing hole. Then just reuse the existing exhaust for only the 2nd floor fan. Make sure you slope all this so there's no weird pools like you have now.

I'd also recommend the Panasonic Whisper line - I'd also suggest putting in a humidity sensor/timer like this. Even if you don't have a shower, being able to hit the button to dissipate smells for a bit is really handy.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Lawnie posted:

I’m going to be running cat-6 cable through the walls of my house. What kind of specs for the cable are important to shop for? I’m probably going to try to find a crimper to borrow so I’ll buy the cable in bulk.

Doesn't really matter for the distance's you'll be going in your house. Something like this would be fine: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=40658 You're planning on doing wall plates right, not just shoving ethernet through the wall and putting a connector on it?

quote:

Another question: while I’m at it I’m also going to be running speaker wire for a couple surround sound speakers through the attic. What’s the best practice for poking speaker wire through the drywall, both from the receiver into the stud bay and also back out to the speakers? It doesn’t seem like the kind of thing that needs a box, but I’m afraid I’m in the area of “knowledge enough to know the terms and tools but not the requirements” for wiring projects.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=3639 plus https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=7015 (you'll need a bunch of the second one for the wall plates you're putting in for your ethernet

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Jerk McJerkface posted:

That 40 year old tool you have a is an electric drill, not a screw driver. While it spins like a drill, it's way too powerful and blows through screws. Get yourself a lower powered battery powered screwdriver (like a Ryobi One+ hand tool) for doing simple screws, and use that beast for when you need to bore a hole in wood or metal. Post a pic of that tool. I'd like to see it. I have a dream of buying one of the old steel plugin drills that looks like a block of metal that has handles that thread in and is just a beast, but I can't find them.

Also, stand behind it and use your body weight to hold the screw bit into the screw, and don't sit in your butt, stay on your feet and work that way. Use your body mass and strong angles to keep the tool engaged.

A modern impact driver is going to be way better for putting screws into things then a 30 year old drill. That's assuming you're putting screws into wood or similar things, and not disassembling plastic whatever.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Bioshuffle posted:

Thanks for the advice. I will definitely remedy the leak from the shower door first.

If I do a good enough job leak proofing the door, could I get away with mudding it and putting on multiple coats of primer? I believe they've already patched something into the bottom part of the column, and there is some kind of steel frame to the right.

Peering into the hole, I see some pink material which I presume to be insulation, but it does not appear to he affected in any meaningful way.

I want to do it right, but I'm apprehensive about cutting into my wall more than I have to. I was thinking of using drywall tape and mud to patch that hole.

That section of your wall is pretty much hosed already. Ripping it out and starting with fresh drywall would honestly be the easiest solution. You can't just fix the hole with some joint compound, you'll be there for months adding layers, and it'll just be destroyed when it gets wet again.

I'd probably put up a small section of concreteboard there, and tile on top of it (can you do this without it looking weird?), at least as high as you've got existing water damage.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The only thing I'll do on garage doors is install/replace openers and general lubrication - it's not worth attempting anything else.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

brugroffil posted:

So we had some water damage in our recently refinished basement this week thanks to a faulty installation of some water treatment equipment (drain line for the filter popped itself out and backwashed all over our floor). The water treatment company is accepting responsibility fully, fixed the cause, and opened a claim with their business insurance to cover the damages.

The insurance company is getting ready to send out their independent adjuster, and I want to make sure I get absolutely everything I can covered. I put a couple hundred hours into this basement personally last year after we had a sump failure flood back in Fall 2019. Seeing all my hard work torn up and piled in the middle of the basement sucks.

I want to make sure that the insurance covers it getting fixed back to 100% of where it was Monday night. What are some things I need to be looking out for or pressing with the claims adjuster? I don't want them to try to get away from paying for new flooring, new trim, all labor, and damaged personal items.

Do you have any photos of what it was before? If so, get them printed out at walgreens or whatever, and give them to the adjuster. I don't know what it is, but physical photos seem to have way more of an impact then "let me show you this on my phone". Bonus points if you can accurately date them (does your phone save timestamps?) I'd take some photos of what it looks like now, and get those printed as well.

There's also this reddit guy which might help.

Note: I've never had to deal with this - just my suggestions to get :10bux: of photos printed in the hopes it helps!

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Doing it with a hammer sounds super difficult. Home depot rents trim nailers for a pretty reasonable price, if you don't envision needing to own one: https://www.homedepot.com/p/rental/Paslode-Cordless-Finish-Nailer-902400/309396362

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Ockhams Crowbar posted:

I'm trying to replace a kitchen sink sprayer, which is busted and leaking and has a tear in the hose.

This quick connect piece is like 4" long and I can't find a manufacturer marked on it. Nothing in the plumbing aisle matches it and googling isn't turning up anything either. The black pieces on either side are pinched in to release. The quick connect piece itself buries way up into the faucet. Is there a name for this style, or does anyone have an idea who might have made it?

That's not a standard part. It's going to be manufacturer specific, so you'd have to figure out who made the faucet and talk to them.

Alternatively, now's a great time to replace the entire faucet!

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

actionjackson posted:

I wanted to follow up on something from a while ago - I assume this light fixture is using a circular junction box. The light I'm interested in requires a four inch octagon box (I emailed them to check and they said that was required). Is there any easy way for an electrician to install that light here? Or am I just out of luck?

https://www.lightology.com/index.php?module=prod_detail&prod_id=880862

Don't assume anything about what's under there. For all you know they just poked the wire through the drywall. The only way to tell is to remove the (hideous) fixture

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Danhenge posted:

Any ideas how this fixture is likely secured? Other than badly, i mean.

There are no obvious fasteners, including under the bulbs. The only clue is these tabs on the top and bottom:

Take out the bulbs, take off the covers that go around the bulbs (they may unscrew, or just pull off towards you), then the front panel should come off.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Danhenge posted:

Yeah, y'all were right about this. Excitingly, one of the fasteners of the underlying plate seems to just spin in place, maybe just a hosed up drywall anchor? A peak under the part of the plate I could unscrew suggests that the same rear end in a top hat who put in the light fixture I posted earlier in this thread might have put up this fixture...I'm not convinced there's actually a box under there, maybe just wires peeking out of the drywall. Upside/downside kind of thing because my partner would like to relocate the fixtures, and if the holes are small it might be easier, if dangerous until it gets fixed.

Yea, that's the cheapest vanity fixture money can buy (I think it's only :10bux:), I'm not at all surprised there's no box behind it.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Caulk isn't really going to be strong enough that it'll cause problems for your bricks.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

mcgreenvegtables posted:

I got a lot of satisfaction removing 100 years of abandoned wiring from my house when I moved in. Coax, at least two generations of phone wire, abandoned security systems, knob and tube. Very satisfying to rip all that crap out.

Also called the state telcom ombudsman to make Verizon come and remove their copper run from the pole to my house. Highly recommend that route if you ever need help with a utility issue more complicated than upgrading your HBO package.

My lovely old verizon drop "fell off the house" shortly before my siding got done, and then I just had the next guy I saw on the pole cut down the other (disconnected) end

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

melon cat posted:

Back with a bath fan ducting question.

I replaced the lovely old vinyl ducting with rigid galvanized. But there's a slight air leak where the straight 4" ducting connects to the adjustable elbow ducting.

I added a second layer of foil tape, but no dice. The two pieces are connected nice and tight, but the leak still persists. Straight ducting is crimped and goes into the elbow, as it should. Any tips for fixing this leak? I've heard about ducting mastic but wasn't sure if it works or is appropriate for this.

The joints on the elbow that rotate are generally not air tight. Are you sure t's not leaking from there and just blowing up the side of the straight ducting?

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

H110Hawk posted:

Do you smoke? Have an incense stick? Or anything else that can generate small amounts of smoke? It can help you trace out exactly where it's coming out. Otherwise I bet just going hog wild with tape will solve your problem. :v:

That is one advantage of mastic - you just get a lovely $2 paint brush and go crazy with it anywhere you think there's a leak. I'd be surprised if your tape were somehow not air tight, even regular duct tape will block leaks for awhile.

While you're up there next, that pipe strap holding the duct doesn't appear to be doing much with that giant U in it - that should be tight to the duct.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

couldcareless posted:

Wife bought a ceiling fixture online for me to replace a boob light with. This is the light in question

The mounting it comes with doesn't match a standard ceiling box so I'm left trying to figure out how this thing is supposed to be mounted or how I can rig something together to make it work. See pictures for the confusion

The housing is smaller than a standard 4" box so if I somehow figure out how to mount this thing, I'm gonna need to source a small medallion to put around it. The bracket the housing attaches to doesn't fit standard holes on a 4" box. This decidedly poorly thought out fixture just has 2 packets of screws with drywall anchors and some decorative machine screws to attach the brass housing to the bracket.

I'm open to creative solutions, or even "You should probably toss that piece of junk"

That looks like a bracket designed to be used with drywall anchors. Did it come with a different one for the electrical box?

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

First off, get an air quality monitor, something that can measure PM2.5. Being able to measure stuff is a big part of handling air quality anxiety.

Second, you can get a ton of mileage out of a box fan with a furnace air filter or two strapped to it. My solution for a ~1100sqft house last year was one room air purifier, and one box fan with two 20x20x1" filters, one fore and one aft. I think they were like MERV 8 or so? Going super-high on the MERV rating reduces airflow and could maybe damage your fan. Anyway, the nice thing about this setup is that the components are cheap (as long as you buy before the fire season starts), and they have good throughput. The downside is they're kinda ugly.

Anyway, with that setup, I was able to get the PM2.5 down to low single digits, which basically means "no health hazard even for people with asthma or wrecked lungs". And I knew that because of the air quality monitor.

Also remember that you can reduce the amount of air you have to purify by closing off doors to unused parts of your house, if you have any.

Do this instead: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uM7mR-95KUg .

Also, while it may damage the $20 box fan, you're still talking about a useful life of several years. Hell, even throwing it away every year is still going to be cheaper then a commercial air purifier.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Another alternative is to go with a 20x20x4 filter, that will give you significantly more air volume.

I ran a box fan with 1" high MERV filters for years.. it definitely started to slow down over the years, but I'm not sure if it was the filter or if that would have happened running it 24x7 anyway.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

AmbassadorofSodomy posted:

Thanks to the goons a few pages ago who replied to my painting questions, it was definitely information I can use.
I now have a few more questions.
Before I paint, I need to patch a few holes/gouges etc as mentioned in my other post.

Is Poly Filla the good poo poo? If not, whats another decent brand of compound to fill these spots in?

A few of these spots, the paper covering on the drywall is kinda messed up for example where a screw and drywall anchor have been removed, is there a good way to fix that up? Should I just take a razor blade and cut the paper covering flush with the wall? Should I cut it so that its like the hole is counter sunk (a tapered surface) and then put the filling compound in there?

I don't disagree that getting quality tape to mask things off is a good idea. Whats a good brand of masking tape for the job?

Thanks again. I just picked up a few tools, but still need to get brushes and all the real poo poo to start doing this.

Definitely cut any loose drywall paper - if not, you'll never get joint compound to adhere properly. It can be helpful to sand the area with ~80 grit paper beforehand, if you can't manage to cut all the paper off. There's no real reason to try and taper a hole before fixing it.

Plan on doing multiple coats of joint compound, sanding with 120 grit in between. This is a lot less stressful then trying to cover it all in one pass (and joint compound shrinks when it dries).

If you're up for doing lots of repairs, play with the lighting in the room. Sometimes a flashlight at around a 30 degree angle to the wall can reveal a lot of issues. Look at the room in different lighting conditions, and you're sure to find a whole lot of things to fix!

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

That definitely sounds preferable to me. As for payback time, I live in a temperate coastal climate, the annual temperature swing is from like 40-70F. No need for cooling in the summer, limited need for heating in the winter.

I remember (from when I got the house inspected prior to purchase) there being some insulation in the attic, but it's a pain in the rear end to access because the hatch is partially over the stairs, so there's like a 15' drop below it and positioning a ladder safely is just a bit tricky. So I don't know how much insulation is in the attic. I know that that's the most important area to insulate when it comes to keeping a house warm.

It's probably not worth doing the walls until you do the attic. What you're really looking for in the attic is air sealing, where they go around with caulk + spray foam and seal up all the gaps where conditioned air could be escaping. Then, they blow insulation on top of that, and it should make a significant difference.

See if your state/county/utility company offers a discounted energy audit program. If you can get someone out with a thermal camera and blower door, you should be able to figure out the big areas that need fixing. One place to check would be BPI certified contractors: http://www.bpi.org/

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

TacoHavoc posted:

Flashing question. I have a bulkhead/bilco door and it was obviously installed with a poo poo flashing job. I am replacing the sheathing and anything underneath, but what is the right way to flash this so it doesn't happen again? The thing that has me unsure is that the previous installer cut out the sheathing around the area where the door lays against the house. This means the lip sits under the osb, as you can see in the picture. I don't understand how to keep the water from getting in the sides when it runs off the top though, since everything is recessed. Any ideas?

Start flashing on the bottom left, and work your way up. The flashing you install on the top should be on top of the flashing you've installed on the sides. This is basically the same thing you'd do to install flashing on the top of a window/door, maybe that gives you a useful reference?

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

That T fitting in the middle looks very wrong to me - It looks like one that's supposed to be mounted vertically instead, and is probably not helping your issues at the very least.

I'd suggest looking up the manual for the disposal and finding what plumbing arrangements they suggest. This one is too big, but is closer to the shape you want then a straight tee. There are some other options here, but you're going to need to poke around in the hardware store to figure out what will fit.

You don't want water to have the option of shooting straight across the tee, it needs to be angled down.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

You could just like, staple black fabric under the floorboards/to the joists.

I don't know enough to make any other specific recommendations, but I know you should be relatively careful with vapor barrier kind of stuff in older houses that weren't built with climate control/insulation in mind. If you get the vapor drive backwards or whatever, you can relatively quickly make a house that's been perfectly happy for 230 years start to rot and have mold and moisture problems.

Yea, I was going to suggest something like silt fencing (which is completely not what it's designed for), but a roll of black fabric and a staplegun seems like your best bet here.

Some thin plywood painted black seems ok too... I wouldn't go with drywall if you're having issues with liquids coming through the floor.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

TerminalSaint posted:

After spending my life in houses with forced air heating my new house has hot water radiators, so I'm not entirely familiar with all aspects of their operation. The basement has a baseboard heater that I'd like to have put out a bit more heat. The heater doesn't have any valves or controls on it, but it's on it's own loop with quarter-turn valves on both ends near the boiler:

The PO left them both half open and I'm not sure why. I assume that if I open them further I would get more circulation and thus more heat. Does that have the potential to increase pressure and risk problems, or since it's a closed loop would the valves only affect flow?

Quarter turn valves are not really meant to be in a half-open state like that.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Bioshuffle posted:

How complicated/safe is it to replace the garage door belt? The belt seems a bit worn out, but I don't know anything about garage doors, and I'm afraid the belt will snap my face in half if I cut it. Is that belt liable to injure me if I try to remove it? It looks safe, but why not ask first because garage doors in general just freak me out.

Wear safety glasses, be aware of where the belt could snap while you're doing it, and you'll probably be fine. The opener belts are not under a ton of tension, should be fine.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

D34THROW posted:

Time has come to replace at least one of my smoke detectors since it won't shut the gently caress up with new batteries and screeches when plugged in. I can't really find any good resources on the different types of connectors and would really prefer to avoid having to engage an electrician to change the plug itself. Any idea what kind of connection these are?

Worst case you turn off the power, and swap the connector out using the 3 wirenuts in that photo - replacing the plug for a smoke detector is about the same difficulty level as replacing an outlet or a light switch.

Your alternate plan could be going with wireless 10 year sealed detectors and not worry about the wires.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Grumpwagon posted:

Is there a trick to unseizing this kind of water shut off valve? My dishwasher is dripping and I'd love to be able to turn the water off to just it until a plumber can come on Tuesday, but I can't budge the thing. I intend on getting the valves replaced with the quarter turn kind, but obviously that doesn't help me now.

I would not touch that at all. You may end up turning a drip into an emergency plumber call. Every part of that looks terrible

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

melon cat posted:

While we're sort of on this topic (and not to take away from wesleywillis' flooring discussion) what kind of flooring would be best for a humid basement like in a century home? Here's what I have currently:

Relative humidity in the basement gets pretty high in the summer- up to about 60% RH. Basement isn't currently "wet" but has had a history of being pretty wet up until I put in a sump pump. I just want to rip out this dumb, cheap engineered particle wood poo poo since it has mold beneath it and put in something durable that can stand up to humidity and the occasional abuse from a home gym and is easily replaceable if I need to rip out a section to install a second sump pump. I don't care how ugly the new replacement flooring looks as I view my basement as more of a utility than a "room". I'd like to get this flooring replacement over with so I can finally add put in new, proper baseboard trim and keep the bugs out.

You should caulk/foam openings before you put up baseboard trim if your goal is to keep the bugs out!

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Red Robin Hood posted:

Is there a "how do I best clean this thing" megathread? Couldn't find one so posting here.

How do I keep my stainless kitchen sink from getting gross looking?

Bar keepers friend

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

DaveSauce posted:

What's the he best way to fix this screen door?

The porch has settled and the door rubs/sticks. The top handle side corner rubs quite a bit, and there's a spot on the handle side vertical frame that rubs as well.

Here's the door:

So it looks like there's trim material in I can shave down. I'm thinking about 1/8 would be good? 1/16 doesn't seem like enough. I figure 1/8 is enough to expand/contract without opening too wide or rubbing anymore.

Follow-up: how do I do this without disassembling everything completely? I don't expect sanding is a good idea... I have a router attachment for my Dremel. Not sure it'll work very well, but better than nothing.

1/8 of an inch? Sandpaper or a palm sander.... definitely don't go at that with a router attachment. Before you do that, check that the screws holding the hinges on the door and frame are good and tight.

You might also be able to loosen the frame a little and get some wiggle room that way.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

DaveSauce posted:

Really? Seems like it'd take forever to sand down 1/8" up the whole 80" of the door frame.

Haven't tried the screws yet, but I'm not convinced. Trying to plan for worst case scenario... if I could gain 1/16 that might be enough to call it good enough, but I don't think there's enough room.

I suppose to be clear: my plan is to remove the top and handle-side frame, remove 1/8" of the wood, and re-mount everything. Was planning on leaving the hinge side alone since it actually seems to be where it needs to be.

With 60 grit sandpaper on an electric sander, that's not going to take any time at all.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

wesleywillis posted:

I'm a lazy pile of poo poo, but also a cheap pile of poo poo.

I want to do a bit of renovations on my pad. Its pretty small, like around 500 ish sq feet.
I specifically want to paint the walls to something lighter than they are as it gets fairly dark in here, even with the lights on. Probably some sort of off white/eggshell type colour, as currently the walls in most of the place are as my friend says "baby puke green".

Then I want to get the floors replaced as my "hardwood floor product" is kinda beat up and its swollen and bumpy in a corner near where my dishwasher leaked.

Lastly I want to get my kitchen and some storage cabinets refaced. I guess that can involve either just putting new doors on them, or could involve painting the outsides as well.

I don't expect I can get all done at once, or in quick succession, but I figure I can space them out over a year or so. One task done first, the next in a few months, and a few months after that the last one. If I were going to do that, which order should I do them in?

I have no idea if I will do these things myself or pay someone to do it. I'm leaning towards getting a pro as it would take them a day to do each thing whereas I'll take a month to paint one wall :v:

Is the interior design thread a place to ask for more specific questions/advice or is that more the "crappy construction but for bad decorating decisions" thread?

Painting can be done in a weekend - the hardest part is moving any crap out of the rooms. This is by far the simplest task you can do from your list. Watch some videos from This Old House on youtube about painting, and you'll be fine. This is *really* hard to gently caress up unless you spill a gallon of paint into carpet or something. Absolute worst case you sand it down and start again.

TOH also has videos on painting cabinets, but that definitely is more work then painting a random wall.

The floor is probably the hardest thing you listed. It's definitely doable DIY, but you'll have to consider if you want to buy the relevant tools.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

wesleywillis posted:

For the floors, thats one thing thats really been off putting for me, like yeah I can buy some sweet sweet new tools, but they'll probably be used once every 10 years or something or maybe never again.... I've still been playing with the idea off and on about painting and still might do it, but I know that to do it right, particularly with a colour change, I'd have to do several coats (maybe not that big of a deal) and maybe prime too? And figure out which kind of paint it is, as I recall, you can put one kind of paint over another, but not the other way around Like paint X can go over paint Y, but paint Y can't be put over top of Paint X and I have no idea how to figure out which is which. DIYing it though, WOULD save me a few thousand probably which would of course mean I could spend a bit more on the hardwood, or cabinet work. gently caress me :effort:

There's a painting thread here - but you're way overthinking this. You can put modern latex over anything that's already on the wall. If you want to prime you can, but if you don't buy the cheapest pain possible it's probably not necessary. The important part is to thoroughly clean the walls with TSP (wear gloves and safety glasses) before you start painting (and wipe it off with water)

You'll always be happier if you do two coats, so just plan on doing that to begin with. As far as paint, I've been happy with Benjamin Moore Regal Select (or find whatever paint store is nearby - not home depot/lowes).

There's no way your floors are going to need to be redone in 10 years, unless you wear sandpaper shoes around the house or something.