Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
Anyone have any idea what's going on with this doorknob? It's brand new, so it's not malfunctioning, but I've never seen a knob act this way. Is it a setting? Is it the kind of knob and I need to replace it? What is the purpose of a knob that does this?

https://i.imgur.com/O5tGXpN.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
There's a slight 'click' when it reaches it's full depth, then only comes back out halfway (like you see). Then you have to 'click' it back into the normal position.

I've pulled it apart and can't see anything weird happening inside, but idk. I guess I'll just return it and get a new one.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

Jenkl posted:

Anyone have any neat suggestions on what to do what two dozen 10"-16" 2x4 pieces? Wondering if there are any cool little projects I might tackle with all my scraps.

My wife and I are doing something like this with some of my off-cuts:

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
So I built a backyard rink. I don't think there's any sub-forums here that deal with that specifically, so I'm hoping someone here has some experience with it. This is my first time building one.

My issue is there appears to be a crack running the entire width of the ice, but it's not breached the surface yet. Any idea if this is normal, or catastrophic, or somewhere in between?

We skated on it for a few hours today, weather was like 38-39F. I just resurfaced it now that the temp dipped to 32.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
Anyone here ever used a bullet heater for their garage?

My garage is an attached walkout, so it's sealed pretty tight (not leaky at all.) There's a door to the basement, a door to the outside, and the garage door itself.

I got a bullet heater and fired it up the other day (left the door to the outside cracked open), but I'm having some serious reservations about going this route. It smelled (though I've heard these heaters all smell the first x hours, burning off oil or whatever), but I'm not familiar with "this is a bad smell" vs. "this is a dangerous smell". I did get a CO detector and mounted it near the floor and it stayed at 0ppm the entire time.

I'm about 90% towards just calling in an electrician to have some 220 run and installing an electric heater (need more outlets in the garage anyway).

e: the heater I got is a propane heater. This one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KRFVDP4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
Goddamn, my first ever "quote is not edit".

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

Elviscat posted:

Another problem you're going to run into with a propane heater in a well sealed garage is moisture, since those ones that are rated to run indoors still produce tons of water vapor as a product of combustion, if you run that thing for long you'll turn your garage into a sauna.

If your garage is well heated and insulated an installed electric heater is a good bet.

E: also make sure that CO detector is at least 5 feet off the floor, CO tends to rise, being slightly lighter than air, and that's exacerbated by being mixed with hot combustion air.

The garage isn't heated at all. Hence the need for a heater. ;)

(It's pseudo insulated, as it's a walk-in garage under the house, so the sides are concrete surrounded by earth. The back wall to the basement is insulated, as is the ceiling.)

And I don't know why, but I've always seen CO detectors near the floor and just assumed that's where they go. TIL that's wrong. That's useful info!

Time to return the bullet heater.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
Yeah, I had a plumber in yesterday to handle some unrelated stuff, and asked him about putting in a NG heater. The issue of venting is still there, though. There's just no good place to vent a heater from the garage. (His suggestion of coring a 5" hold in the foundation is a non-starter.) He did have an interesting idea of installing a Hydronic heater running pex from the boiler, but ultimately I think it makes more sense to just install Electrical since I want more outlets and some 220's in there anyway.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

Meow Meow Meow posted:

What are you trying to do in your garage? Like what's the purpose of heating it? My house has an under house garage similar to yours I found the key to keeping it comfortable was to never open the garage door in the winter (plus making sure it's well sealed, I put in new weatherstrip etc.) Then I just used a a small radiant electrical heater and would point it at myself for woodworking. Usually after 30 minutes or so I would be hot enough to turn the heater off and be fine for quite a while.

Woodworking and home gym, yeah.

It's a 2 car garage, probably ~500 sq ft. I tried the regular space heater thing awhile ago and the cold just laughed at me.

NBD, I have an electrician coming today. Super excited to be getting some real outlets in there, too. So tired of running everything off of the one overhead plug.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

H110Hawk posted:

If your main panel isn't in the garage have them put in a small sub panel with room for a car charger. The cost shouldn't go up much - the big labor component is fishing wire to your main. 100A or bust.

I have a (100A) subpanel in the master bedroom above the garage, so I'm hopeful it won't be too hard to run from there. There's plenty of room in that panel.

The main panel (that I upgraded to 200A when I bought the house 3y ago) is on the other end of the house. Running a circuit from there would be... not easy.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

Motronic posted:

If your definition of "not too hard" includes trenching drywall and then patching no....it won't be hard. But there's almost definitely gonna be some drywall that needs cutting.

What a strange place to put the subpanel. Was the master added in a reno?

Pre-fab housing. There are a number of... idiosyncrasies of owning this. They didn't use drywall, it's all paneling (when I completely reno'd the finished basement, I ripped out all the paneling and drop ceiling and redid everything with mold-reistant drywall.) The subpanel is in its own little column, so I'm hoping he'll be able to drill straight down from the panel into the garage and run circuits from there. Guess I'll find out in a few hours!

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
I don't think he'll even need to go through the sill plate is what I'm saying. Check it out:

Bump out for panel.

Bottom of bump out.

This should probably be in the electrical thread.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

Elviscat posted:

Holy poo poo is your house a fire hazard, with all wood paneling like that.

That sub-panel install looks terrible, those wires shouldn't be loose, for one.

There are other issues, but maybe ask the electrician to clean things up around that panel at least?

Will do. (Ask me about the literal fire hazard I found opening the walls in the basement, where mice had chewed some wiring and scorched some wood/insulation.)

Those loose wires run to the heat tape the PO installed (had installed? Idk, probably a DIY). The rest of the panel is original work, and fine I think? I can take a picture later when wife is finished with work for the day.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
So, looking again for the first time in 3 years, I think my memory of this box is not how I pictured it. I definitely do remember the inspection report saying it was fine, other than the wires coming out the top. Maybe I can dig that out again.

Electrician should be here shortly, we'll see what he has to say.

eta: Electrician isn't worried about panel, can put a trench below this panel to funnel wiring into conduit in garage. Panel doesn't have enough space to run all the outlets I wanted, but enough to still make it worth doing (heater circuit, one 220, one 110)

SouthShoreSamurai fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jan 18, 2021

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

AFewBricksShy posted:

I need a new pair of work boots. No steel toe necessary, and preferably 4.5-6" ish height.
Recommendations? I'm looking at Redwing or Danner right now.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3522228 has your answers. Beware the rabbit hole, those people really like boots.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
More home renovation fun. I took down some more walls and some more cabinets. This is a modular home, and the original design calls for some decorative "beams" where the seams of the house come together.

As seen here.

I think they look pretty terrible, but have lived with them. The area with the current renovation had part of the cabinetry that covered the gap, and now it's exposed.

I'm looking for ideas/inspiration on covering this gap so we can paint over it. The area is 1.5" wide, and runs approx 15 feet.

(Additionally if anyone has worked with this kind of ceiling before, I'd love to know how to fix damage to it. My best guess is it's some kind of gypsum, which is apparently very hard to find/replace.)

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

FogHelmut posted:

I'm building one of those cedar playhouses from Costco for my kid this weekend. I want to get 10 years out of it if possible, so I'm concerned about direct ground contact. My wife thinks I'm overthinking this (I am, its what I do). How long can I expect it to be safe without additional effort? I was thinking of just laying a line of pavers around the base to keep it off the dirt/grass, or even a course of 3/4 gravel a few inches wide. I was also considering painting the bottom with copper green.

There was one of these in my yard when I bought the house. I think it's going on about year 7 now, and it's completely falling apart. Not from the ground up, surprisingly. Just in general, these are just so cheaply made that they disintegrate. I think mine was from Lowes, but same thing I'm sure.

I'm ripping it out this spring and building a completely over-engineered fortress.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

korora posted:

Are you sure you need more than 25? Not sure what you’re trying to block out but for podcasts + power tools I have the 3M worktunes (NRR 24) and they make things pretty quiet. See also this article which has quite clear explanations of NRR in general: https://noisyworld.org/noise-reduction-rating-usage/

Seconding these, they're awesome. Table saw, chop saw, chainsaw, lawnmower, nail guns, compressor vent, etc, etc... They're super comfortable and if your use-case is anything like what I listed, they work perfectly. They have excellent battery life too.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
We bought a new stackable washer/dryer. Had the plumbers come in to move the hookups over and then hook up the w/d (and install a flood preventer in the hookup.)

4 days later we found water coming up through the floorboards when we stepped on a particular area. Panicked, we ran around to try and find the leak and found this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seC3EO00KZo

I've already called my insurance company who is sending over an adjustor today, I'm trying to get in touch with the plumbing company. My question is how bad is this likely to be, and what should we expect from the plumbing company? The insurance co has started the claim process already, but said to have a remediator come in instantly triggers the $1k deductible. We may be able to get that back from the plumber at a later time, but... ugh.

We have some PTST from previous flooding, so I don't know that I have a great handle on how bad this is likely to be.

The flooring is vinyl life-proof that I just put down like 3 months ago, so I really don't want to have to tear it up and put it down again.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

PainterofCrap posted:

That appears to be a basement floor with vinyl plank over concrete. There is water under the flooring. You can leave it but it'll take months to dry and mold may become an issue (not guaranteed, but possible). If the plank is not glued, you could call the mitigation company and ask them if they can use a vacuum mat system to suck the water up without lifting the floor. They lay mats of various sizes on the floor and hook up hoses to a vacuum unit & it runs for a few days until the relative humidity is restored, It';s loud & there'll be little hoses running all over the basement, but it works great.

Unless the plumber is a fly-by-night with no insurance or assets, your insurer will be able to recover everything that they pay, including your deductible, through subrogation. It may take a couple-three months, so be mindful that you;ll be out your deductible that long.

Man I was really hoping you'd chime in, thanks!

Only note, it is not a basement floor. It's on the 1st floor, and the basement is finished (I finished it last year, including sheetrocking the ceiling.) I know they can tell moisture content underneath flooring with some gadgets, I'm hoping the guy coming today/tomorrow can do that before we get into mitigation/deductible territory.

Also plumbing co is sending someone out to fix the leak (though tightening the connect doesn't seem like it'd be that hard. It's the damage already done that's the issue. We'll see what the company owner says later.)

Update: Turns out it was more than just tightening it down. Brand new flood protection valve had a broken gasket, and... caused it to flood. Which it then didn't detect. loving irony.

SouthShoreSamurai fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jun 7, 2021

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

PainterofCrap posted:

Keep that part. Keep all of the valve components. Do not let them leave your possession, as chain of custody must remain unbroken in order to have a successful recovery in subro. Put everything in a plastic bag & mark it with a description & the date. Get any documentation made to locate & identify this problem: bills, reports, names & numbers.

They’ll use a UV detector or a handheld contact baton to determine moisture. The pad system should work there as well. They may have to cut a couple holes in the basement ceiling for ventilation. Are you seeing stains on that ceiling?

Too late, the plumber said his insurance co would need it, and I didn't think anything of it. So far they've been willing to work with me though.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

H110Hawk posted:

That's your ceiling.

:lol:

DaveSauce posted:

Yeah turns out writing instructions is actually hard. Most people don't install light fixtures on a regular basis, there's no reason that a person should inherently know that the "mounting bracket" is the same thing as the "mounting plate." I would guess this is either a translation error, or the writer said, "eh gently caress it they'll know what I'm talking about" and moved on to the next thing.

I still remember the exercise in grade school where you're supposed to write step-by-step instructions for something simple (I assume most people did this). Ours was making a PB&J sandwich. Everyone in class failed miserably when the teacher tried to follow the directions precisely and without using outside knowledge. Most of the time she didn't open the bag of bread or get the cover off the PB jar. If she got further, she found other ways to fail in some comical and unintended way.

Obviously that was the expected result; nobody was supposed to get it 100% right because that was the whole point of the lesson: not everyone is starting from the same base level of knowledge. What is obvious to you may be completely foreign or counter-intuitive to someone else.

Same, except we had to make our own sandwiches. Many a PB&J were made that day with fingers and without bread. It's a parable I tell my own children now.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

Stack Machine posted:

Update:

I'm still working on this when I can find a few dry minutes outside to scrape together. Still have ceiling joists to add but this is it for the rafters. It's starting to look almost building-like.

Nice. I don't think I've seen someone use a ridge board before. Are you using the joists as a sort of collar tie to keep the walls from falling out? Also, no double top-plate?

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

Stack Machine posted:

I'm mostly using the ridge board because it seemed easy for amateur construction, i.e. no need for fasteners other than nails. The original shed on this slab had some collar ties high up just nailed in, but I don't know anything about the shear strength of nails so I wanted the ridge board too.

And yeah the joists serve 2 functions: providing some "attic" storage space I can stick tools in and hang things from and tying the walls/rafters together for some extra rigidity. The original shed had 2 2x4s for this which seemed fine but I'm going to just place 1 on each (non-eave) rafter and use them to stiffen the walls and rafters. Mostly though this is based on the previous, also amateur-built shed so I wasn't even aware double top plates were a good idea. I hope physics is on my side here since it's an 8x10 foot building with walls of the same design used to hold up roofs with 10x the area, but hopefully I don't regret that attitude 10 years from now.

Nails have great shear strength. Another alternative it to just use gusset plates. Cut up some plywood into triangles and bang em in with nails. If your trusses are only screwed down at this point, I'd also think about taking them off and adding a double top-plate. It's not super necessary in a shed that small, but overlapping the walls in all 4 directions helps to add rigidity to the walls.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
Bucket traps, my man. They are ridiculously effective for rodents.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mR0Iz9qMzl0

I've also used the ones where you just layer the water with seeds to catch chipmunks. That also works really well.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

Hed posted:

I’ve got a bucket trap with the spinny can on it. Are you saying for chipmunks I should be able to forget the can and float seed on top of water in the bucket and they’ll go for a swim?

That's exactly what I'm saying. Layer the top of the water with seeds so it looks like solid ground to them (doesn't look like water) and they'll jump right in and drown. I use black oil sunflower seeds. I've killed like 10 chipmunks this way.

The only hard part is I've yet to figure out how to keep squirrels from getting to the seeds. They are bigger and more agile and are able to straddle the bucket and eat the seeds. Still, the success rate of the bucket was like 75% of the time I got at least one chipmunk.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

actionjackson posted:

I have some dog damage, just juxtaposed to pics together

for the left which is door trim, should I use wood filler here before painting?

For the right which is the door, is there anyway to reduce the appearance of these scratches?

thank you

You could try the wet cloth and iron on the door, those may come out. That trim looks trashed though. Possible to find an exact match and replace it? Trim is easy to put in.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Is everything literally junk? What am I missing.

I bought these A33 angles for a wood project I'm doing. ON THE BOX it recommends SD Connector #9 1 1/2" screws, so I got a box of those too.

The screws don't fit the holes! I've tried many different screws and different angles from the boxes. I don't get it.

... Someone please explain.

Screw it in, man. SST stuff is awesome, I use it wherever I can. It can get expensive, but I always find it worth it.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
Also called Cove Molding.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
Re: Xmas light chat

Get yourself one of these https://www.amazon.com/LightKeeper-...749495552&psc=1

It's literally voodoo magic, but it somehow actually works about half the time.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

Corla Plankun posted:

Or, and stay with me here because this is really out there, a loving metal screwdriver? I don't know what paints y'all are working with that could stand their ground against a metal screwdriver but I've never seen one in my life that wouldn't just immediately flake out of the way--aside from maybe enamel coatings, which would still probably shatter off if you knocked the back of the screwdriver with a hammer.

Lookit this guy that's never gone through a box of pocket hole screws and found 10% of them unusable due to blue paint...

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

Brennanite posted:

Unfortunately, spouse is not on-board with tiling. Something about my DIY projects tending to expand rapidly in scope and cost. Pfft. PVC trim it is.

:sever:

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The steam/clothes iron trick won't work completely in this case, because he absolutely severed fibers and removed material from the door. Bondo and paint is potentially an option, though. My primary goal here is to rehab the door enough to sell the house, so really all I care about is that there won't be issues that will make prospective buyers lowball me.

All the effort you put into your workshop and you're going to sell? Hope it's good news, but if not I'm sorry man.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
Door looks slick, good work.

What was the 3rd trip to the hardware store for?

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

Motronic posted:

Yeah, I get it. The reveal is wrong, it's not level. But that trim is painted, nailed and caulked to the wall. The appropriate time to address it is when you're painting that room because you're going to have to match both wall and trim paint or it will just become even more obvious after the repair.

Whenever I decide to paint a room step 1 is evaluating it for things like this and drywall defects, potential electrical/lighting changes that would necessitate drywall repair, and replacing or adding trim/chair rail/crown molding. All of those things suck more if you didn't alread intend tp paint the room at the end of it.

Wife: "I think the living room would really look great with a change of color. What about sea foam green?!"

Motronic: "I'll go get my hammer."

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
There's no fixing that, fast or otherwise.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

Inzombiac posted:

It'll be so nice to enjoy the rain and not worry every time.

There is nothing that feels quite as good as fixing a major water issue.

Also condolences on your future PTSD, because even though you fixed it that anxiety when it rains never leaves you again.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

Opopanax posted:

Rent a cherry picker instead imo

QFT

A buddy of mine painted my house when I bought it (professional painter). Unbeknownst to me, he borrowed my two 20' ladders and "chained them together" to make it to the 25' apex of the gable end of the house.

I didn't even see it and it still gave me the heebie jeebies. He said he does it all the time. Them's a different breed.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

Wowporn posted:

Why are't all homes made of concrete

My dude, have I got a thread for you:

https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/threads/the-concrete-underground.145073/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

Leperflesh posted:

Hm.

Perhaps I'll try this new futuristic "rubber" material next time I need to deal with the rear end end of a toilet. (The top part, that your rear end goes on, is the mouth end of the toilet)

Anecdote isn't data, but I replaced mine with rubber when I replaced my toilet about a year ago. No issues so far.