Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

several of my cabinets doors are not straight, in this example the first one does touch the frame at the top, whereas the second one works great (the door is very straight, and the bumpers on top and bottom both touch the frame). I tried adding a few more rubber bumpers to the first one towards the bottom but it didn't help. I assume the noise is the reverb from the top part that doesn't touch.

https://i.imgur.com/WB71l7w.mp4

what's the best way to deal with this? maybe there are rubber bumpers that stick out more? or would new soft-close hinges resolve the issue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

PainterofCrap posted:

Those hinges are adjustable.

you know I looked these up, they appear to be an old version of the blum compact 33, but even for the current ones all I saw was height adjustment (using the screw that's on the edge mount in this case) and side to side adjustment (using a screw that this hinge doesn't have) in the manual. what am I missing here?

what I really want is for the top of the door to be closer to the frame, which would mean an adjustment to the left in this picture

Only registered members can see post attachments!

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

yeah a lot of stuff in here is cheap crap

even on the newer hinges, the additional screw would just allow left to right adjustment as you are looking at the front of the door. I don't think the type of adjustment I actually need exists, which would be akin to moving the part attached to the frame left or right instead of up or down.

in this pic, I can do the height adjustment, but I don't have the screw to do the side adjustment (but again, I don't need that adjustment anyway).

PainterofCrap posted:

You might be able to bend the tang between the stile (edge) mount and the door mount to suck 'em in a little.

If that fails, grab a couple sets of one of the upgrade styles & see if you can't fit them.

what do you mean by this? i only know tang as a kool-aid competitor

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Motronic posted:

Pinch like this with preferably needle nose vise grips so you can use the screw on the vise grip to control how much you go in at each time.

ah that makes sense thx

as an alternative, would using a clamp that holds the part of the cabinet door that doesn't touch (like the upper part in my video) to the frame help?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

it looks like blum does have a hinge that allows you to adjust on the third dimension (closer to and further away from the cabinet frame), but it's in their clip-top series which is for frameless cabinets. depth adjustment in this image

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

it's not a new house, i've just decided to use the pandemic to pay a lot more attention to things in the home

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

this is very dumb but what is the difference 24 5/16" and 26 3/4" distances in this picture, the lines make it look like they should be the same

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

thank you. That's a bosch which is nice because it has that recessed area so the cord doesn't take up space. But it's quite expensive.

I'm trying to find the ones that will stick out the least, but it seems like ~26 something is pretty standard depth to the front of the oven door. It's nothing something that has any sort of filter on websites. It doesn't seem like other brands have that recess thing which is really nice to help it get right up against the wall.

There's also the "slide-in" vs. "freestanding" where the slide-in doesn't have finished sides, but there doesn't seem to be any other difference. It seems like either can go into a slide-in space.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Bad Munki posted:

Damnit, now you got me looking at Bosch appliances. Ranges and ovens of all sorts and so on. The dishwasher was a gateway drug.

I have a Bosch dishwasher because they are well known for being the best in that category, but for other appliances they are definitely not. They are probably my favorite appearance wise though. One really nice thing their ranges do have, besides that recessed space that allows you to have the oven right up against the wall without cords getting in the way, and also an overlay on the stovetop so it covers the little gaps between the range and the countertops.

I don't have any "staging" - my oven just sits on the floor. But it's a standard 30" oven space, and looking at the dimensions of the slide-in ovens it should fit just fine.

definitely prefer the controls on the front, and once my existing white wall panel is removed, will either paint or tile the gap in between the range and the microwave.

trigger warning - electric range

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Samsung...roduct-overview

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Oct 30, 2020

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Looking at the pictures, it looks like there is some sort of recessed area on the rear bottom (lol) part, including where the 240V wall connection is. I suppose this is the only way you could plug it in while being able to have it all the way up to the wall (i.e. the plug doesn't stick between the back of the range and the wall).

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Elviscat posted:

Yeah, every electric range will have some sort of rear indent to accommodate the electric or gas connections while sitting flush, wouldn't much work otherwise.

Note: I was kidding about tileing your range in, do not do that.

thank you. my current gas range doesn't actually go up to the wall because the giant gas cord thing gets in the way.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I know this is city-specific, but does it seem strange that my city would need to do an inspection of my newly installed water heater, but not on my newly installed A/C or furnace? The little card mentions the following that need inspections in the mail

bathroom fixtures
kitchen fixtures
water piping
laundry tub/floor drain
gas range
gas dryer
water heater
gas meter move

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I just installed wood mini-blinds for my patio door. They included these optional hold-down pieces so that when you open the door it doesn't fly around. But the instructions were confusing. My blinds came with the little pieces in the left image, and since it's a patio door I'd be doing the one on the right side. But it looks like there is supposed to be a hole in the bottom blind, but mine doesn't have one, and it doesn't say anything about making one... so I just drill a little nub in there for the hook to hold onto? obviously the other part of the piece gets screwed into the door.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

can water cause damage to powder coated steel if it's not wiped up immediately?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Weird question I know, but is there any way to use a European light fixture (in this case a floor lamp) in an American home? Obviously it would be 230V and I would have 120V. Yes I have an actual reason for this question :p

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Elviscat posted:

Probably/it depends, do you have a picture/description of this floor lamp?

https://www.dmlights.com/louis_poulsen_yuh_floor_dim___automatic_switch_off_black~12ZKZ

technical details are about halfway down

they also said it's not UL listed, is that a safety issue?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

thanks guys, so I could use that lamp as long as I buy the adaptor?

the reason I asked is because that's quite a bit less than buying it from a US store, and there's no VAT or shipping cost. But there is still an import tax which might erase much of the difference.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Elviscat posted:

No, the adapter is included.

I wasn't sure if I would get all four of those plugs/plates in the picture with the red box around it, or just the EU one. Though even if it just came with the EU one I already have an adapter that I used for traveling.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

PainterofCrap posted:

Assuming you have a standard threaded bulb socket: Put on a US plug and screw in a 110V bulb.

My family lived in Europe for seven years. We brought our lamps & put plugs on, and (in France in 1975) installed bayonet sockets.

thanks - it's not standard. I don't even think the light itself can be replaced except by a professional, but they typically last forever.

I looked at the product info for the US and EU version, and in both cases it said "LED 2700K 10W" for the bulb, so maybe I would only need to change the plug?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

PainterofCrap posted:

Sorry, thought you were referring to a standard light fixture until I saw the following replies.

The tech spec manual you posted shows the transformer is rated to handle 100V-230V so in a pinch, you could either stick a Euro ---> US plug adapter on it, or cut the Euro plug off and wire on a US plug as long as you preserve polarity - plus (hot) to plus, and ground/common to ground/common.

thanks, I don't have electrical skills behind plugging in an adaptor, but it sounds like just doing that is fine, since it covers 100-230V?

edit: I'd also be curious why there would be such a big price difference between the US and EU versions of a light fixture. Does it have to do with electrical standards required?

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Feb 10, 2021

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Elviscat posted:

You can't cut the plug off, because it's molded into the power supply case, it most likely comes with the adapter, if not it's fed by a little LED power supply, google "LED Power Supply" and you'll get your choice of a billion cheap power supplies with a 5.5mm DC cannon plug that should work with the light as-is.

Yeah, and as mentioned above the adaptor is exactly the same in the US and EU version, it's just the plug on the end is different of course. So I should be able to use the EU plug and then a EU-US adaptor like the ones you use when travelling.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I wanted to follow-up on my post a few pages ago about buying that floor lamp from an EU site, where you guys pointed out the EU and US model are basically the same (the product sheet mentioned accepting 100-240V), you just put on a different plug. I did email them and they said

"We as an EU based supplier can only acquire CE certified items.
This fixture is UL listed, however the power supply is a switched one and should work on 110v.
Normally the different socket plates should be included in the box."

(I think they meant "not UL listed")

I'm just wondering what a "switched" power supply is? Is that one that can accept a range of different voltages?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

how easy is it for an electrician to install one of those circular junction boxes on a wall? I'd like to do that so I can put up a sconce, as most sconces only have that connection type instead of having a cord.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Elviscat posted:

There's a lot of sconces that are cord and plug connect connectable nowadays.

Answer to your question is: variable

If you don't want it switched and you want it in the same stud bay as an outlet it's easy as cake.

If you want it switched with the lights, it depends on attic access, construction of the house, etc etc.

okay thanks. i'm in a condo, and there are two outlets on the wall in question. so the location of the nearest outlet is relevant? I have no idea what a stud bay is, sorry!

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Hi, here's two I'm considering

this one requires the junction box, and the switch is on the lamp

https://www.dwr.com/lighting-wall-sconce/type-75-wall-sconce/2196973.html?lang=en_US

this one has a cord, it's a bit more expensive but obviously then I wouldn't need an electrician, and it's dimmable which is really nice for me. there's one switch that does both on/off and dim on the lamp

https://www.muuto.com/product/Tip-Wall-Lamp--p24532/p24532/

After what you've both mentioned I think the corded one is definitely the better option, and I can just position it in a way that most of the cord can be hidden - for example just outside of, and right above the headboard

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Feb 26, 2021

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Is is strange that my gas range (GE profile) doesn't have any inset behind it for the gas tubing? nor is there any inset in the back wall, so I can't actually push it all the way back - it ends up having to stick out a couple of inches from the wall.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

drat those sub-zeros really do last forever

they are all built-in now as the Euro style is becoming very popular, not sure about in the 1980s though

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

life is killing me posted:

I can’t produce any visual so bear with me, but could you call a plumber to ask what they could do? Or check the manual? I have a GE gas range/oven (LP tho) and it pretty much goes flush with the wall, though I don’t know if it’s strange that yours doesn’t have an inset because I don’t know if your range is natty gas or LP or if there would be any difference in how the make the two types beyond the tubing and valves themselves (which I’d imagine would be different anyway).

yeah I should have posted a pic, looks like the back does have a bit of an inset for the tubing, but the gas connection from the wall is sticking out so the oven runs into that. Is that weird?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

PainterofCrap posted:

That solid copper line is the culprit. Never seen that used for a gas feed.

Substitute a gas flex line and it should fit much closer...though that long stub-out from the wall may prevent it from getting completely flush.

thanks, I think that copper line actually can fit in that inset though (you can see the inset is deeper than the combined depth of the two tubes). It's the part that's sticking out from the wall that it's running into. The amount that solid pipe thing comes out the wall is the same distance as the gap when I push the oven in all the way.

I'm going to replace my appliances some point in the next year or two because they are all 16 years old, so I probably won't replace anything as I don't feel comfortable loving around with gas lines, but I appreciate the explanation. The appliance place said they could push that "stub-out" back into the wall for me when I get my new oven, which will be electric anyway (don't yell at me, my city charges hundreds of dollars in fees for new or replacement gas installations)

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Mar 1, 2021

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

yeah that's definitely nice! I still don't get the piping thing though.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

are furnace filters that have carbon added worth the extra cost?

https://nordicpure.com/product/16x25x5brand/

e.g. MERV 12 vs. MERV 12 + Carbon

it's about $6 extra per filter

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

thank you for the very detailed response!

I was told MERV 11+, but my filters are quite thick (4 3/8", the second size listed in the link)

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

okay thanks again, no smoking but I do have a dog

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Charles Ingalls posted:

I wanna turn this:

Into this:

please give me your kitchen (btw are those nelson bubble lamps)?

unrelated - when hiring someone to replace the tile floor in a bathroom, is removing the vanity typically required (in addition to the toilet of course)?

my bathroom floor is hella ugly, so I'm looking to do this, but I've also found places that do refinishing which is why more affordable. They use a "binary compound chemical coating" since obviously paint won't work, and it isn't affected by humidity. They said they don't typically do it and is not covered by warranty, but at the same time it's only $650 and I don't need to remove any fixtures.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Mar 25, 2021

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I have a HPL (high pressure laminate) countertop in a solid color from Wilsonart. Are minor scratches pretty much inevitable with this? By minor I mean that you can't actually feel it at all when you put your finger on it, so it's pretty artificial, but I was told there's basically no way to get rid of it. You only see it when the light hits it a certain way, but I feel like that's just going to happen no matter what, and that it's simply more noticeable because I have a solid color, vs. a pattern.

I know there are kits you can by to "fix" them, but I've heard they don't actually work long term.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Apr 10, 2021

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I talked to a place that did "cabinet remodeling" where they keep the frame, but put on larger doors that give a frameless look, and the appropriate hinges, and paint them. It was about 1/3 the cost of putting in new cabinets.

Dryer question: recently, a lot of condensation builds up when running my electric dryer, so much so that there is moisture on the wall, and on the glass top of my washer. Should I be purchasing a dryer vent cleaning kit to help with this? It also looks like I should be checking for the debris where the dryer vents to the outside.

edit: never mind, it seems that the vent on the back of the dryer is not going into the ducting. This might have happened when I was trying to clean out all the dust from back there. I assume that's the source of the issue.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Apr 11, 2021

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Elviscat posted:

Yeah, something's wrong with your vent, make sure it's run straight, well sealed at any connections, and clean.

I went and pushed it back in, seems fine now. I'm just an idiot. Is there supposed to be any sort of tape or other sealant where the vent coming from the back of the dryer goes into the venting coming from the wall? I don't see anything. There is some sort of tape or sealant where the venting goes into the wall though.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Elviscat posted:

Yeah, you're gonna want to tape that, aluminum foil ducting tape (not duct tape) is best.

thanks! It's weird because I don't think it was ever taped and I've been here ten years. At least I don't see any tape or tape residue.

btw for the "cabinet" remodeling thing, I have a small galley kitchen with six lower cabinets, six upper cabinets, and six doors. The estimate I got was as follows:

paint existing cabinet boxes 255 x 9 = 2295
doors replaced with new doors and hinges 155 x 12 = 1860
drawers replaced with new door fronts and glides 115 x 6 = 690

so that's about 5k. Of course there's a million other "extras" you can do that inflate the cost if you want, like trash pull-outs, one of those little pull down drawers right below the sink to hold sponges and such, etc.

I have framed cabinets, and I want a frameless appearance, so this is a pretty good deal - a full reno would be at least 15k based on various estimates. Also this let's me keep my countertops, which I got a couple years ago.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

AmbassadorofSodomy posted:

Thanks for the advice, to the other goons too.
Did they paint right over the veneer (?) or did they peel it off and paint the particle board directly?
Or do you have wood (heh)?
If I could, I wouldn't mind replacing the whole thing with the exact same configuration, just better materials, while keeping my same (granite) counter tops, sink etc. As they are still fine. At least in my mind, they are fine.
Its the veneer thats kinda peeling and or chipping a little bit.

TBH, everything else *seems* ok if just needing a good deep cleaning and if I just did the doors, I'd see about getting wood (heh) thats roughly the same color/shade so that it doesn't look out of place having like darker doors, but lighter framing, or whatever its called.
The insides of my cupboards are generic white, slightly coarse plastic glued to the particle board, which I'm fine with.

I haven't had it done, I just had them come by for an estimate. For the door it says "maple veneer, solid panel with MDF center"

I assume they paint over the veneer - choosing maple makes sense than as it's one of the easiest woods to paint.

I would definitely try the remodeling, if you do a full reno they may not be able to save the existing countertops (depends on how they are attached).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I'm going to get a few 15 amp GFCI outlets to match my new wall plates, but noticed something weird with the two main brands HD sells (lutron and leviton)

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Lutron-15-Amp-Tamper-Resistant-GFCI-Duplex-Receptacle-in-White-CAR-15-GFST-WH/206793173 1 for $49

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton...1-04W/305340161 4 for $55???

there doesn't seem to be any enormous differences, though one is 120 volt and the other is 125 volt, and I have no idea if I can do either voltage.

I'm wondering if maybe some Lutron stuff is just out of stock

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Apr 20, 2021