Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
excellent bird guy came back, it's a thanksgiving miracle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Mezcal negronis are so good! The 1-1-1 spec is an easy winner but i really like 1.5 mezcal, 1 black Spanish vermouth(Atxa or Casa Mariol), and 0.75 a milder bitter such as Montanaro Aperitivo. Split the vermouth with an oloroso sherry if you really wanna complicate things. I honestly think mezcal negronis are better than gin ones.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
He has thousands of dollars' worth of synthesizers and guitar poo poo, I don't know why he eats like this. Just let him be a maniac and enjoy the posts.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Oh poo poo! My neighbor down the street does recipe development for Anova and that thing came out right as she was having a baby so she hasn't gotten to do any work with it but it's been sitting around her kitchen and apparently it's loving enormous. Not helpful, I know, but true.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
That white wine duck liver pate should be nice. White wine can definitely work in more delicately-flavored terrines like duck or pork, but for the beef one I think you'll want to pick up a bottle of brandy. Courvoisier or Hennessy will be more than satisfactory for that, and of course it'll be just fine sitting open at room temp if you're just cooking with it.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Yeah dude. No one knows why he posts here, he eats disgusting slop all the time, and he has no interest in actually learning how to cook. Just witness in silent admiration and don't waste your time trying to help.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Eat This Glob posted:

Mushrooms aren't a vegetable though, dammit!

This is insane, dude. Would you get upset if you ordered veggie fried rice and it had mushrooms in it?

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Your iodized salt does have other things in it (iodine, namely), but it doesn't make it less salty.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Blue Labrador posted:

So Merlot isn't a type of wine I love, like, at all, but it's my most affordable option at the moment, so I've decided to stick it out and learn to like it. What flavors and spices and whatnot am I supposed to pair with the fruitier, sweeter kinds of Merlot?

I've been spending the last year drinking and learning more about wine in general, but I'm still pretty amateurish.

If you're just buying whatever's cheapest then you're not going to find much to enjoy or learn from. Pairings shouldn't really be your first priority when getting into wine, and I really dislike the weird cultural significance of wine pairings because you can for the most part just drink a good quality wine with any kind of food and have an enjoyable time.

That being said, have you picked up any books on the subject? There are a few easy recommendations to make that could give you the foundations much better than a forum post could.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Blue Labrador posted:

Fair enough on the quality thing lol. I haven't read any books or anything, no. I worked in a hotel for a couple years recently, so I picked up general "rules of thumb" from other workers and waiters so I wouldn't come across as a complete dummy in front of customers, but I wouldn't feel confident outside of super basic things. Do you (or anybody else) have any texts they'd like to recommend?

Windows on the World by Kevin Zraly is a pretty foundational wine text. I took a Level 1 Sommelier class a few years ago and the curriculum for it was almost identical to that book. I'd recommend it to anyone wanting to get into wine. Beyond that there's a wealth of knowledge available for whatever particular aspect appeals to you, so try a bunch of different stuff and see what speaks to you. And definitely do get to know your local wine shops, those people love to talk about wine and get people engaged.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Well it sounds like we all agree that hot sake isn't that great. Drink it if you want but it's a waste of the good stuff. I suspect that cheapo sushi places serve it hot because American rubes think that's the True Nippon Way and it lets them get away with serving cheap poo poo.

Chemmy posted:

That's backwards from all other liquors and food. Normally you can't taste things if they're cold, but warm you can.

This is bizarre. Have you ever had a pasta salad in your life? Or like, deviled eggs?

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Well, sure, but no one was saying that you have to drink sake ice cold either. Saying that "all other liquors (sake isn't liquor fwiw) and food" work like that is a weird assertion to make.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Pollyanna posted:

This is like the ninth time I’ve made the Serious Eats chile verde and I swear every time I make it the more it comes out weirdly, almost inedibly sweet. What the gently caress is going on here? Is that just how tomatillos are?

In fact thinking about it a bit more it’s like both too sweet and too sour. What the poo poo.

Why do you keep making it and not changing anything if you don't like it?

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Black walnut vinegar might be cool too, if you find yourself with more of those bad boys.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Pawpaws aren’t related to papayas at all actually. They’re in the cherimoya and soursop family.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Corn cobs are a great addition to a stock, as are Parmesan rinds. You can save a lot of vegetable trimmings and use them in stock too. Mushroom stems, pepper ends, leek greens, lemongrass tops. Avoid brassicas, but pretty much everything else is fair game.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Sounds like you need some garlic and ginger in there. And I wouldn't recommend sichuan peppercorns because that'll make your stock a lot less versatile, but like you said, you're gonna do it anyway.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
You’re very lucky. Feijoas are delicious. They grow very well here in Atlanta and at our restaurant we get one big delivery of them every August or so. Our chef made an amba-style condiment out of them last year by lightly fermenting them, which might be a fun thing for you to try if you need new ways to use them. You can also make a surprisingly versatile cocktail bitters by vaccuum sealing the scooped-out hulls with high-proof neutral grain spirit for a couple days and then straining. We make a couple liters of this every feijoa season.

To answer your question, feijoa mostly reminds me of white guava or guayabana/soursop. Or maybe pawpaw. These are not fruits most people are familiar with, but neither is feijoa.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
You want something higher-proof than vodka for bitters. I use 190-proof grain alcohol. You could infuse the whole fruits into the vodka and see what happens though. Make some feijoa gimlets with that, maybe.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Picked up some Raku. What’s the highest and best use of it?

Makes a great classic martini. Two ounces gin, one ounce dry vermouth, lemon twist. Dash of orange bitters if you have it.

There's a really nice Japanese sake-based vermouth from Oka Kura that is incredible in a martini with Roku, if you happen to see that you should try it out.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
A Vitamix is gonna seem like way too much money to spend on a blender but they're built like tanks and will be inherited by your grandchildren.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

w4ddl3d33 posted:

also if you're getting a pressure cooker you have no excuse not to make natto - natto dad on youtube has like 8 tutorials and they're all insanely easy to follow

my excuse for not making natto is that it is nasty

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
they put refried beans on the loving tacos dude

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
the discord is very fun. come annoy me with your wack cocktails in REAL TIME

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

thetan_guy42 posted:

I'm eating cochinita pibil tacos (pit bull meat)

lmao, imagining an annoying white guy at the taqueria condescendingly explaining this to someone

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Carillon posted:

Why is it impossible to find diamond crystal sadly these days? No where by me send to have it anymore, if there a salt shortage or something? It's making me the wrong kind of salty.

It looks like they're updating their branding, new box designs are going out. I think that's probably all it is.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
The green part of the stalk is still flavorful, just fibrous. Steep it in a soup and pull it out, or infuse it in some gin or something.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
^ this is an incredibly good post

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
If you guys are looking for Caesar dressing riffs, you can make a really good vegetarian one with white miso instead of anchovy.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Guildenstern Mother posted:

Do you keep the rest of it the same? I feel like with the miso you might not need the parm

You can leave out the parm and even the egg if you must, but i like keeping them in there. Great on roasted veggies.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Hell yeah. People get so fussy about pasta decorum but you can totally cook that poo poo one-pan style.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
So our mod Flash Gordon Ramsey has passed, after a battle with cancer. Do we like, nominate someone?

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
hey, bookmarks users: Fluffdaddy made a stickied thread asking for input on who should be our new mod. give it some thought and send him a PM if you have input, or post in the thread.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Apparently Huy Fong screwed over the pepper farm they source from in some way, so the farm started making its own sriracha under the brand Underwood Ranches. Haven't tried it myself but I hear it's legit.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
fresh bay leaves are totally different! bay leaf oil will blow your mind

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Wow, I just made arugula walnut pesto last night. Tastes great, can confirm.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
There's something cool going on over in the Enclosed Pool Area you guys should know about. TheSwizzler is starting up Something Awful Wrestling, in which he creates custom wrestlers in WWE2k23 based on forums posters who sign up and declare a favorite subforum of theirs to represent. Your wrestler is put into AI-controlled wrestling matches streamed on Twitch where you'll fight for titles, forge alliances and rivalries, and talk poo poo about each other in promos posted in the thread. This is an offshoot of the very fun Imp Zone Wrestling Federation which I got to be a part of briefly before it went on hiatus. Currently I'm the only one representing GWS, so if anyone else wants to get in on the action, now's the time!

Check out the thread here. Even if you don't sign up (and why wouldn't you) it'll still be a lot of fun to watch. Consider your avatar when signing up, too, and what advantages it might grant you. Wroughtirony might make a really good wrestler, just sayin'.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
I feel like it's worth mentioning that you do not have to make tonkotsu broth from scratch in order to have good homemade ramen. You can make a rich chicken stock, for example, flavor it with tare, ginger and garlic, and have delicious ramen. People get hung up on tonkotsu being the only true ramen broth.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
shove it up your rear end, insane rereg guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

UnleashedDad posted:

Anyone got a lasagna recipe? I've been using the Bon Appetit one with bechamel but I've been wanting to do one with ricotta since I haven't in so long I forget how. I have the Sopranos cookbook recipe but it seems pretty basic. That's pretty much the only italian cookbook I have. NYT recipe with five stars looks good but I'm open to thoughts.

The Serious Eats lasagna bolognese is a pretty ponderous task but it really pays off. You don't need to do the chicken livers, the gelatin or the veal if you don't want to. I've done it with equal parts beef and pork and been perfectly happy.