Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Great movie in my humble opinion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
The bit where it looks like the new guy is gazing slack jaw wonder at the inside of the lamp until the sound cuts in and you realize they are actually screaming.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Yes it rules

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
There's a lot of farting and cum. Great movie.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
I saw this a couple nights ago.

Willem Dafoe makes an excellent grizzled old sailor. Never knew what a match he was for a role like that until seeing it for myself.

I’ll admit that a lot of the time I had no idea what tf was going on but I’ll attribute that to low volume w/ no subtitles (this was one of those movies that goes from whispered dialogue straight to crashing waves so the volume button gets a real workout) Also there’s definitely an intended level of confusion in movies like this where madness is creeping in, which causes me to not read into it as deeply as I would try to otherwise.

But the DP was gorgeous, loved the black and white and minimalism throughout. Successfully stuck with me a couple days after which is usually sort of my mark for a good movie.

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

HAAAARK

Vakal
May 11, 2008
The Lighthouse was good, but I preferred Cold Skin since it is basically the same plot except it features Ray Stevenson loving a mermaid.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Rob fucks the mermaid?

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Vakal posted:

The Lighthouse was good, but I preferred Cold Skin since it is basically the same plot except it features Ray Stevenson loving a mermaid.

You make me laugh with yer false grum. You come to this thread, playin’ the “tough”

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Yer an open book... A picture, says I! A painted actress screamin in the footlights. A bitch what wants to be coveted for nothin but being born, cryin bout the silver spoon what should’ve been yers!

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I could listen to Willem DaFoe's pirate voice for hours

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

It was alright but I got turned off by all the weird sex stuff

I mean I get it, but still

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

It's impossible to watch without subs

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Agree OP

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Vegetable posted:

I disagree

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Vegetable posted:

Out of interest, do you need subs for many english language movies with accents unfamiliar to you? The VVitch, Trainspotting and such like?

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I did okay for the most part without subs on The Lighthouse, but I absolutely had to use them for The Witch. It has as much to do with the way the dialogue is mixed as the difficult language itself.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit

Vegetable posted:

It's impossible to watch without New England lobster

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

bitterandtwisted posted:

Out of interest, do you need subs for many english language movies with accents unfamiliar to you? The VVitch, Trainspotting and such like?
I don't usually need subs but I watch most things with them on anyway. It's kinda dumb but I like to not risk missing a clever turn of phrase or a mumbled revelation when it happens.

For this film it was also 99% about the sound mixing. I'm sure it was intentional but holy hell it was hard to follow.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
The monologue where a briny trident is going to stab you in the balls for not liking Dafoe's cooking is loving brilliant.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

of all the movies i've seen lately using academy or similar ratios, this one did the best job. it just makes all those stone erections look so towearing and girthy

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
you don't need subtitles to understand the movie, everything important is communicated by Willem Dafoe and Robert Pattinson staring at each other angrily and/or lustily

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I love when Dafoe yells, "MARK!"

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

My fav line is when Paterson confronts him about wages

"I want more money, fucker"

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Which Shakespeare story was this?

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Nuts and Gum posted:

the good one

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Nuts and Gum posted:

It's Virginia Woolf, philistine.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

porfiria posted:

It's Virginia Woolf, philistine.

"Mrs Dalloway said she would buy the beans herself"

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013
At the risk of being 'that guy', I found it dragged and was bored.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want explosions and capes - but the constant arty madness stuff just got old fast and by the time we got to mermaid William Dafoe and all the poo poo that sounds amazing I was just mentally checked out and not paying attention anymore.

Which is a shame because there is some amazing cinematography in that film. My wife loves the original story and the previous adaptions, loves her old artsy black and white films yet even she was looking at her watch and shifting around in her seat

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

There are previous adaptations?? What

Prince Myshkin
Jun 17, 2018
I understand being disappointed if you went in thinking this was an adaptation of To the Lighthouse.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

it's an adaptation of just the idea of lighthouses in general

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Blood Boils posted:

There are previous adaptations?? What

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lighthouse_(2016_film)

Based on the true story of two dead Thomases

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

FreudianSlippers posted:

This one sentence from The Lighthouse script sums up the entire film:

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Imagining that sentence spoken by Stephen A. Smith.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Hand Knit posted:

Imagining that sentence spoken by Stephen A. Smith.

Why did you do that to us?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Dog_Meat posted:

At the risk of being 'that guy', I found it dragged and was bored.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want explosions and capes - but the constant arty madness stuff just got old fast and by the time we got to mermaid William Dafoe and all the poo poo that sounds amazing I was just mentally checked out and not paying attention anymore.

Which is a shame because there is some amazing cinematography in that film. My wife loves the original story and the previous adaptions, loves her old artsy black and white films yet even she was looking at her watch and shifting around in her seat

agreed, there weren’t enough explosions and lasers and spandex costumes

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

After early reviews by test audiences came in negatively, studios retooled The Lighthouse to be more epic by creating an entirely new third act. In this version, the evil mermaid tries to conquer the world by opening a portal with a blue sky laser, and our intrepid heroes must defeat her by having gay sex.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
The Lighthouse has about 20 really excellent individual shots & short scenes which are interesting and weird, and the two characters are strange dudes who you want to learn more about.

Pity that the director wasn't able to deliver on the premise. Would have benefited from being about 20 minutes shorter. 2/5, would not recommend.