Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I’ve been propagating a monstera cutting (has 2 leafs each about as long as a soda can) at my office at work cause that’s where I got the cutting and I hadn’t brought it home. It’s been doing well, there are a few roots, one is like 1.5 inches, another about 1, and the rest are little nubs right now. I guess I’m gonna take the cutting home today or next week before I go on a 2 week vacation. I keep hearing stories about how moving a cutting like this is going to kill it. I hope it’ll be okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Maybe someone else can help you with that picture, but I can't even make out the leaves at that quality.

Oh geeze, I was so caught up in what I thought was the weird way it had offshoots that I assumed that would be the identifiable part. As soon as I got a good leaf close up it said these were glossy abelia's.

Seems right, and matches the white flower, but no google images quite look like these. Maybe a result of really short pruning and then no pruning, or tough weather\low water or something? I'm not sure what to do with these now to get them looking good.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Boris Galerkin posted:

I’ve been propagating a monstera cutting (has 2 leafs each about as long as a soda can) at my office at work cause that’s where I got the cutting and I hadn’t brought it home. It’s been doing well, there are a few roots, one is like 1.5 inches, another about 1, and the rest are little nubs right now. I guess I’m gonna take the cutting home today or next week before I go on a 2 week vacation. I keep hearing stories about how moving a cutting like this is going to kill it. I hope it’ll be okay.

I would be very surprised if the monstera gave a poo poo unless you live in a dark box.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I think I used this site before for plant ID: https://plant.id

There’s also pl@ntnet but I remember it having more coverage of European species but maybe that’s wrong.

And you can look on iNaturalist for more samples of a species, that should help with the double checking.

There’s also the subreddit whatsthisplant https://www.reddit.com/r/whatsthisplant/ that’s pretty active if you have some better photos.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

bobua posted:

Oh geeze, I was so caught up in what I thought was the weird way it had offshoots that I assumed that would be the identifiable part. As soon as I got a good leaf close up it said these were glossy abelia's.

Seems right, and matches the white flower, but no google images quite look like these. Maybe a result of really short pruning and then no pruning, or tough weather\low water or something? I'm not sure what to do with these now to get them looking good.

From the very bad pic my first guess was abelia. They are usually pretty bulletproof. My other thought was some sort of honeysuckle or maaybe eleagnus.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I feel like I was bamboozled by this sundew. I got it to take care of a low-level fungus gnat problem... but the soil conditions it requires (wet and standing in a tray of water) just foster the growth of more fungus gnats. Glad she can feed herself I guess.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

You can put a layer of sand on top to discourage fungus gnat reproduction or add "mosquito bits" that kill the larvae in the soil when watered.

In the past I used decorative sand from the aquarium store and it actually looked pretty nice.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Oh boy! Sundew chat! Thanks to this thread I got one for my living room greenhouse, which is great, it loves eating any intruders. We went on a trip for a week at one point and so things got a little dry, caused a bloom of fruit flies for some reason, but lil sundew just kept gobbling them up.

Bad Munki posted:

My little carnivore is doing so great. It’s easily doubled in size, is covered in goo drops, vibrant colors, and now it’s flowering, too.

It’s grown a ton since I got it this summer, and shows no signs of slowing.

I love the flower stalks it puts out, such a fascinating result between eating requirements and reproducing requirements. And the flowers are tiny but lovely for the moment they’re in bloom.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Dec 9, 2023

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
if there's no bugs around what do you feed sundews

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

They don't really have to eat anything and will do ok without food. It's basically just fertilizer. I give mine fish food sometimes.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I read there are some of them that are so specialized they actually lack, like, some specific proteins such that they can’t uptake some crucial stuff through their roots? and must get it by carnivorizification of the local fauna, but I doubt that’s the typical variety we’re getting through Amazon or whatever.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Yeah, that's more or less how they work. I just know from experience that feeding isn't really necessary for most carnivores. They're more likely to thrive if you do though.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

bobua posted:

Anyone know what this is? They were put in by the previous owner and they are going pretty crazy, but seem like offshoots of the main shrub. I feel like they definitely need pruning but im not sure what to cut.

Google lens wasn't crazy helpful. This is in north texas.

That picture is super grainy, but that might be an Abelia.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Yeah, that's more or less how they work. I just know from experience that feeding isn't really necessary for most carnivores. They're more likely to thrive if you do though.

how do you feed them? if you put a bug on is it a 100% capture rate? I don't want to let bugs loose willy nilly in my office

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

indigi posted:

how do you feed them? if you put a bug on is it a 100% capture rate? I don't want to let bugs loose willy nilly in my office

You can just give them fish flakes or maxsea blend directly, and you can feed them bugs that are already dead if you want.
Why would you let bugs loose in an office?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I don't freakin know!! that's why I’m asking :friendly:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

They probably make like fun bug based treats for plant pet owners right?

boba fetacheese
Dec 12, 2000
Freeze dried bloodworms! Fun for all hungry plants! Just rehyrate them in distilled water and chop em as needed.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
I'm looking for resources on building hydroponic tower systems using PVC pipe and fittings, if anybody has experience with that. Links to How-To are more than appreciated. I've got like 8 empty kitty litter buckets that I can utilize for NFT and DWC projects.

My Kratky jars have been fun...but I need to fiddle and micromanage and Kratky is ironically too dead-simple for that.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Any tips for air layering?

I've decided our Monstera is Too Big after it fell over and I want to propagate a top cutting. I have some sphagnum moss on order. Is it really as easy as sticking aerial roots in bag full of medium and wait?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
You don’t need to air layer a Monstera. You can just trim it, leave the wound to dry out a little and plant it. I usually do sections with 2-3 leaves on it when I get annoyed by how big it’s gotten.

Nexein
May 2, 2012

"Donuts of
Champions"
Hey plant-goons! I've moved in with my partner and their roommate and I'm now sharing an office with uhhh, maybe two dozen plants who look pretty sad! I've never been a plant person personally but as I look at them I think I might like to A)own some of my own and B) take some rehabilitation efforts with the ones that are already here. I think the biggest starting task would be identifying and then making sure everyone is potted properly and getting adequate light/water? I haven't started the undertaking yet but I figured I'd pop in and say hi considering I'll probably have a bunch of questions at some point.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Bad Munki posted:

Added my first carnivore to the collection today! Itty bitty for now. We’ll work on that.

My little friend is trying to outgrow its container, can't believe how well this is doing, just a random Amazon purchase.

I guess I need to figure out how to transplant it, and into what, soil/container-wise.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

The usual mix is peat moss with either sand or perlite. Keep using a plastic pot, as something like ceramic may leach minerals into the soil. Sundews aren't as picky as some carnivorous plants though.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I was vaguely thinking about trying to print a custom one that I could upend and screw a water bottle into, like a pet feeder, so it would self-water for longer and keep it at just the right level.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I've been meaning to do a 3D print for one of mine. That sounds like a good design. You can also just put it in a tray of water.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Which is what I have now, it just requires topping off every other day, or a larger tray, which requires more shelf space in my greenhouse. I’m thinking with the pet feeder approach, the reservoir it sim barely needs to be bigger than the pot itself, and the bottle could water it for a week or several. Less loss to evaporation, too.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Bad Munki posted:

I was vaguely thinking about trying to print a custom one that I could upend and screw a water bottle into, like a pet feeder, so it would self-water for longer and keep it at just the right level.

ayyyy I actually sell something like that on Etsy especially for carnivorous plant people! It's really intended for large trays, but if you PM me I can send you files :)

My original use case was going on vacation and needing to keep trays full, and what I did the first time was to poke a hole in a water bottle about an inch from the bottom. More annoying to fill, since you have to keep a finger over the hole but it works great.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I decided to order a bunch of succulent seeds after piecing together as much internet info about germination as I could, and I tried to do everything, even stuff that contradicted the other stuff. one thing all the sources agreed on was that I should settle in for a long wait - 3 months isn't uncommon - and around a 15-40% germination rate. I prepared a humidity dome and planted echeveria, haworthia, and lithops seeds in 1/3 sections of the tray on Jan 7th.

as expected, nothing's happened on 2/3 of the tray... but it looks like every single lithops seed has already sprouted (more than that actually, I thought I was only getting 20).

I’m not sure why some parts of the soil look purple, I probably hosed with the camera settings at some point and it's never been obvious until now

the steps I took that I think might have actually contributed anything to this endeavor, and we'll see how it works out for the rest of the tray:

-mixed up a very loose and airy soil using 1 cactus mix 1 poultry grit .5 2-5mm pumice .5 coco coir
- sterilized everything; used some starsan solution for the tray and dome, put the soil in the oven at 220* for 45 minutes
-moistened the soil evenly with distilled water before sowing
-"watered" the seeds in with a spray bottle
-kept the tray on a heating pad 24/7
-very bright 6kK light but with 1 layer of tissue paper on top of the dome (not overhanging the sides though)

there's sand grains on top because most succulent seeds are so, so very tiny, like too small and clumpy to do the wet toothpick method, and I read the best way to ensure a good spread was to put fine sand into the seed packet first, shake it up to mix everything, and evenly distribute that. I also sterilized the sand just cause why not, yknow?

I'll let these babies get nice and strong before thinking about transplanting any, but here's hoping the rest of the tray sprouts with even half this success rate

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Long time no post, here are some plants I grew from seeds/hybrid plants I made/growing on my kitchen counter.

Monstera deliciosa var. sierrana

Anthurium besseae aff. x luxurians

Anthurium magnificum x besseae aff

Anthurium (crystal x mag) x (mag x gigi) babies

They are my beautiful velvety children.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Ooh those are pretty

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

I wanna plant some persimmons in the yard this spring. From what I can tell they do not favor the clay and gravel poo poo in my yard (basically fill from the basement dig) but I’m unclear on if or how much I need to dig out to amend soil so they’ll get going.

My dad said last time he looked into it the suggestion was just put em in the ground, but he was also dealing with hardy landscaping cypress.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

The current advice is just to put trees in the ground, yeah. It's like exposure therapy. If you dig out a little bowl and fill it with better soil, the tree's roots will struggle to escape and thrive in the more difficult soil. You can improve the soil with above-ground amendments of organic matter (generous mulching).

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

the yeti posted:

I wanna plant some persimmons in the yard this spring. From what I can tell they do not favor the clay and gravel poo poo in my yard (basically fill from the basement dig) but I’m unclear on if or how much I need to dig out to amend soil so they’ll get going.

My dad said last time he looked into it the suggestion was just put em in the ground, but he was also dealing with hardy landscaping cypress.
Idk about persimmons specifically but in general the advice is to add to your native dirt, not try to replace your native dirt. Dig a hole 3x as wide as the pot is in and as deep as the pot, add a half a bag of compost (I like black kow) and half a bag of ground pine bark (often sold as ‘soil conditioner’ or soemthing) to the dirt you took out of the hole, mix it all around, use that to backfill around your tree. I usually add some compost/pine bark to the hole itself and kinda break up the bottom/sides of the hole with a fork to mix that in. That’s especially important in very heavy clay of its wet because the the sides of the hole can get really slick and basically dry into a wall. With the stuff you added and the dirt in the pot, your tree should be on a little mound a few inches above soil level which is good in areas with poor drainage (clay soil) or high rainfall. I build a little berm around the edge of the mound, fill that with black kow, fill it with water a few times and poke around with a garden fork to help the water drain down and pull some of the compost with it, then mulch over the whole mound. It’s a bit labor intensive, but I’ve had really good success with this method. You may need to water a few times the first year if you get a dry spell, but try not to water frequently. A good deep soaking (a hose with a pinkie size or less trickle of water coming out stuck at the trunk of the tree for an hour) once every week or two is way better than frequent light waterings, and in general letting the tree learn to survive on what rain it gets is best.

Transplanted trees/shrubs take three years to get going IME. The first year they stabilize and rectangle basically do nothing. The second year they grow a bunch of roots you don’t see and it looks like they aren’t growing. The third year they take off.

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jan 26, 2024

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Jhet posted:

You don’t need to air layer a Monstera. You can just trim it, leave the wound to dry out a little and plant it. I usually do sections with 2-3 leaves on it when I get annoyed by how big it’s gotten.

Decided not to faff about and just took a second top cutting from our beastly monstera (really four different ones in a pot) and married to one I took six months ago.

It's still a beast, but more manageable.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Chad Sexington posted:

Any tips for air layering?

I've decided our Monstera is Too Big after it fell over and I want to propagate a top cutting. I have some sphagnum moss on order. Is it really as easy as sticking aerial roots in bag full of medium and wait?

Yes. You can find little air layer balls - plastic balls cut in half that can be opened/closed to wrap around a stalk and aerial roots. Fill it with whatever will hold some moisture - sphagnum, substrate, coco peat, a sponge, whatever. I've also just cut flex nursery pots down the side, cut some holes, and closed them up around active aerial roots. People use plastic wrap as well, just not as elegant or whatever. I use little plastic collars for Anthurium sp that don't 'vine' but still have a central stalk with evident axillary buds and prolific above-ground roots.

Keep the plant happy and it'll fill the ball/void you've created with roots over time. These work well on all sorts of plants, not just vines. I've used them on a lot of ficus sp. as well, they get a lot of use by growers on fruit trees, etc.

And yea you don't 'need' to air layer, but it does speed up the process once you go to chop - the plant already has a root system, which is nice.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
My mom did air layering when I was a kid with cling wrap and rubber bands. It's easier than you think.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

update: some of the echeveria seeds have started to grow in the past few days. not nearly as successful as the lithops seeds, but I’m pleased I haven't had to wait three months

the lithops have been about the same size for a couple weeks now, I’m wondering if I need to thin them out to give them more room to grow, or if they're doing fine. I'll probably leave them alone for another few weeks before deciding either way; again, not enough clear consistent info out there for me to feel comfortable making any big decisions

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
That is very cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Nice.

Speaking of seeds, hope to have about 400 in a month or so from this infructescence, Anthurium [(crystallinum x magnificum) x subsignatum] x besseae aff.

Mom's a bit beat up form winter