Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.
Those are gorgeous!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

Ok Comboomer posted:

I have my own carnivorous plant question: I live in New England and rent and would love some carnivorous plants. I can't really keep any/many outdoor ones myself, but I plan to help my dad build a small pond+bog filter this summer at his house and my plan is to order some compatible ones for him to plant then. So far so good right? Will they be able to tolerate CT winters or will they need to be brought into a garage?

There are pitcher plants that grow in New England in bogs. I used to go to the Hawley Bog in Mass all the time and they had a ton. As long as you get the correct type, they should be fine.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

On a side note: if you have time to visit that area, definitely go. The bog has a lot of interesting plant life. It’s also near Bear Swamp State Forest. In the spring there are so many beautiful native wild flowers there.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I prefer plastic

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I’m wondering if anyone has some ideas.

We live in a very shady spot zone 6b. I’ve tried to put grass seed down so many times, but it’s too shady. All we can seem to grow is moss. That would be fine except moss gets so easily kicked up leaving bare dirt patches everywhere. We also have a toddler who will be making this situation worse soon.

What can I grow that will stay put?

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

Thyme actually sounds like an awesome idea. Thank you!

RickRogers posted:

If you insist on grass, [b]it may be more adverse conditions than just a bit of shade causing moss build up[b] and there are grass seed mixes that do better in shade.

What else could be causing it?

Hirayuki posted:

We're thinking about bumping our beds out a little more into the shadiest parts of the lawn and filling them with pachysandra, which is growing beautifully in deep shade at our library a half-mile down the road. Since it's not a grass analogue or soft like thyme (which I do love in containers), though, it wouldn't really provide your little one with a "grassy" area to play. And it can get expensive if you have a lot of space to fill.

There’s pachysandra all over here. It’s nice, but a bit too bushy for the whole yard. It grows amazingly well here.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

Wallet posted:

Is your whole lawn super shady or just parts of it? If it's just parts of it you may be better off putting in shrubs or more garden or just a shade loving groundcover that isn't walkable.

If it is your whole lawn you might try out a few different shade groundcovers and see what does well. As mentioned some creeping thymes are alright with shade (and make a nice lawn) though I have found them fairly slow to spread. Mentha requienii (Corsican mint) might also work but it won't stand up to super heavy foot traffic and it will die off when it gets cold (should reseed itself for next year, though).

I was sooo interested in Corsican mint, but it apparently won’t withstand the winter months here. Too bad because it’s beautiful.

It’s our whole lawn except a small 30’x30’ area.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

Glad I asked you all. All good info. Thank you!

Our soil is definitely acidic. I can try to work on that and the compacted soil as well.

Wallet posted:

It won't withstand the winter but your lawn is going to be browned out anyway. It should reseed itself for next year, though, so you could maybe mix it with something else.

Ok now I might have to seriously think about doing this.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

Wallet posted:

Also here's some pictures of me inappropriately touching some Arisaema triphyllum—there's a whole fuckload of them coming up in the woods here and they're one of my favorites (yes I know I need to clean my nails I was gardening).

I had one in my garden and the guy who plows our driveway killed it :(

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

ROJO posted:

So, my parents gave Mrs. ROJO a phalaenopsis for her first mother's day. My Mom received one on her first mother's day, and has kept it going 37 years now, so *no pressure*

We've had it for a few weeks now at this point, and I have been looking at it's roots for indication that it needs water - I gave it a good watering a week after receiving it, but it the roots still seem green and moist, so I've been letting it do it's own thing. Put it by a south-west facing sliding door, because it is unfortunately really the only option for it to get moderate, but not severe and direct light.

A few days ago, I noticed this brown/yellow spot on the tip of one of the leaves, and it appears to be working it's way farther back towards the rest of the plant.

I know that phalaenopsis can lose their lowest leaves, but this one is about halfway up. Is this something I should be worried about or is it indicative of something? The rest of the leaves seem perfectly fine. Thanks in advance.

What is this potted in/where was it purchased? Can you see the roots inside the pot? Store bought orchids are often potted terribly and the roots rot. This looks like dehydration which is either from root problems or not watering frequently enough.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

It definitely needs a new pot and medium. Get an orchid pot. Use an orchid medium with bark. Repotme has some good mixes.

Basically, those roots need to breathe and the water needs to drain better. You’re correct, though, that you may lose the flowers.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

Cinnamon, too, after the peroxide dries

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

skylined! posted:

My queen of the night cactus is just going nuts with blooms. All four opened up at the same time last night - I thought I had another day or two and was out being social last night but thankfully checked on it before drunkenly falling asleep.

:swoon:

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

Echeveria. It needs lots of light. It looks like it hasn’t been getting enough light.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

Wallet posted:

I mean, in general I would assume plants aren't going to enjoy the extra salt.

Yeah. Not as great as water that’s salt-free. I water all of my plants except my xerographica and orchids with softened water.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I was thinking of getting grubgone (btg) for a grub problem. Does anyone know if it is safe to apply near a well?

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

Jhet posted:

The Btg is a bacteria, and it's safe for human contact, water supplies, and pollinators/bees. Apply soon or before all the grubs disappear deeper for the winter months.

Thank you! :)

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

If any of you are orchid enthusiasts and live near southern CT, I highly suggest checking out J&L Orchids. I was able to visit for the first time today and holy moly.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

Ok Comboomer posted:

“gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you”
-my wallet (I’m in MA but my parents and sister live in that area and I’m there all the time)

The prices aren’t bad, but yeah. Super easy to spend way too much. I did.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

Ok Comboomer posted:

I was legit about to pick up some paphs, some oncidiums, and some intergenic hybrids at Mahoneys this month, but now I’m gonna wait until thanksgiving week and see if I swing by there instead

it cool, I buy enough at mahoneys anyway (like that variegated E. Ingens)

I keep meaning to check out Mahoney’s. Thanks for the reminder!

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

Also, this was my haul:

* Rcl. Siam White “the best”
* Dendrobium Wattii
* Paph Hilo Leopard “merry monarch” x paph captivatingly wood “raisin” (photo below)
* Paphiopedilum Greyi (leucochilum x niveum)

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

Ok Comboomer posted:

you weren’t kidding, what an amazing place

wasn’t expecting it to be in somebody’s back yard but wowie zowie what a surprising orchid nursery to see in the middle of Connecticut

it’s like 20 min from my parents’ house too

I didn’t buy anything this time because I spent all my Black Friday money at a Mahoney’s first :shrug: but they’re open all the time so—

Nice. Glad you were able to check it out! That place is so cool.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

My lemon tree keeps dropping leaves :( this is the only citrus plant I’ve ever owned that has been sickly since day one. So frustrating.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

Solkanar512 posted:

Heck yeah, just ordered a bunch of dahlia tubers! I've grown a bunch of random ones from seed before, so it will be a nice change to put tubers in the ground and hopefully get those massive dinnerplate blooms. I can list the cultivars if anyone is curious.

I also had a question I'm reposting from the gardening thread:

Ugh love those so much. I live in zone 6 so none for me because a) I can’t see myself digging them up in the fall and b) I don’t have the heart to let them die if I don’t dig them up

Would love to see your update when they eventually bloom!

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

skylined! posted:

That Birkin looks great.

So I got some IKEA cabinets for indoor 'greenhouses' and there is a whole little niche community on Facebook/Reddit dedicated to transforming these things into vivariums. Got one set up last night and some plants in it - I have some fans and other stuff on the way still, but so far it's pretty neat. I had to make a little instagram photo set (I don't actually use instagram).

d o g

So jealous!! I’m waiting for them to come back into stock at the ikea near me so I can get one to set up for my orchids.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

Bonus pic of my newest Cattleya

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

Ok Comboomer posted:

:swoon::swoon::swoon:

If I wasn’t literally in the middle of moving my plant room and consolidating all of my poo poo I would’ve spent like $400 today. But this Paph hybrid was too cool to pass up.

There’s an Elizabeth Anne Bulbophyllum that I gotta come back for. And a Christensonia. And a cool vanilla hybrid. And a Dracula lotax 😬

And a Paph “Ho Chi Minh” :ussr:

Yesssss! Is that a paph hilo leopard “merry monarch” x captivatingly wood “raisin”?

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

Ok Comboomer posted:

just get a highly rated, affordable, high capacity one from your retailer of choice

Also, keep it clean

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

Anyone have tips on growing a voodoo lily in colder zones? I’m in 6b. Was planning to plant it outside and dig it up in the fall.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

Nice haul. I’m getting an orchid from them at the end of the month!

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

Went to the NH Orchid Society’s show today. The place was packed. I was able to get some nice orchids.

* Fdk. After Dark 'SVO Black Pearl
* Phalaenopsis schilleriana
* Monnierara Millenium Magic
* Dendrobium stratiotes

I also was able to see this massive Cymbidium Pauwelsii ‘Kessander’. I’m 5’6” for height reference:

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

Ok Comboomer posted:

oh snap, I should go this weekend

I don’t think I should spend anything, seeing as I dropped $100 on a 4’ Grammatophylum scriptum, but if they happen to have Gram speciosum props I might break my rule...

The vendors are listed on the website. You could always email and ask them! I’m probably not a good influence…

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

Brawnfire posted:

I hope nobody minds me sharing these tulips from my garden that make me deliriously happy

These are gorgeous. Where’d you get them?

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

Does anyone have experience with raspberry bushy dwarf virus? I’m going to get rid of the raspberry in that area, but how to I get rid of the virus in the soil? From what I understand, nematodes can reinfect plants.

I’m a little at a loss because I think it’s throughout my yard, but I’m not 100% sure. How can I figure out if it’s that wide spread?

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

Does anyone have experience with phytosanitary certificates? Trying to bring some of my plants with me when I move overseas. I’m not sure if i need some sort of “professional” to fill the certificate out?

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

Bloody Cat Farm posted:

Does anyone have experience with phytosanitary certificates? Trying to bring some of my plants with me when I move overseas. I’m not sure if i need some sort of “professional” to fill the certificate out?

For anyone that has any sort of interest in this sort of thing, I ended up contacting a USDA export expert found using the USDA website. This contact has been incredibly helpful and answered a ton of questions. I’m very excited, as it seems very possible to bring my plants!

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

Love the wall mount!

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

Chad Sexington posted:

Anyone have experience removing pachysandra? The beds in our front yard are lousy with it. I've tried to tackle it in the past, but it holds onto the soil way too well. And there are tons of bigger, shallow roots under it too, presumably from a nearby oak, that make it really hard to tackle with a spade.

Trying to figure if it's really plausible to do by hand or if I need to go nuclear with some black plastic or something.

I was going to take out some by hand with a Japanese weeding sickle last summer. However we had someone with a excavator at our house for another project. I paid him to dig out a huge patch of it. Super fast and easy with an excavator.

I tried once to use a rototiller on some and it just jammed the whole machine up. Would not recommend.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

Ok Comboomer posted:

any recommendations for hats? I have a bunch of baseball caps and a widebrim straw boater that I occasionally wear in the yard but I'd love some options for quality garden/sweat/work-friendly headwear

I really like my garden hat from Hemlock Hat Company. I thought the drawcord would get in the way and was overkill, but I’m so glad the hat has that feature.

https://www.hemlockhatco.com/collections/lifeguard-hats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

bagmonkey posted:

Goons, what type of hose do you use and why? Bonus question, what’s your hose storage solution? Trying to figure out something for our front and back yard this year

I’ve had this for a month now and am pretty happy with it

https://a.co/d/fp9kLZe