Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Posted a question in the gardening thread that may have been more appropriate for this one, is linking posts OK?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3085672&pagenumber=419#post513940985

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

So we bought a mature queen of the night (Epiphyllum Oxypetalum) a few weeks ago, not expecting it to bloom anytime soon. We were wrong - apparently it likes the full moon. We woke up to a bud this morning, and tonight it decided to just go ahead and open. Our golden retriever, our sweetest girl in the whole world, died last week, so we're hoping this is her visiting us or whatever dead dogs do.

The flower is really a spectacle in person - the low light doesn't do it justice. I'll try to get a better shot once it's fully open.

edit some additional images. It went from closed bud to completely open between 830p and 930p! It smells sweet like a Magnolia but not overpowering, it's really pleasant. Anyways that's my story.

skylined! fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Apr 27, 2021

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Wallet posted:

I'm in zone 6 so not so hot at all—I think most Delosperma are hardy down to 5 or so. There are a reasonable number of succulents that can hang in fairly cold places though obviously your options are greatly reduced.

One of the most remarkable things I saw while touring Ecuador a few years ago was the absolutely massive amount of succulents at about 10.5k feet elevation, at Ingapirca. We stayed at Posada Ingapirca and the entire grounds were covered with succulents, including several hundred feet of 3-4ft tall stonecrop(?) plants. It was 30-40f at night and fairly humid the few nights we were there, and stays in the 40s-60s mostly year round (but rarely freezes). It rains like two thirds of the year. Just totally inconsistent with what the weather I thought succulents liked to grow in.

Here have some photos.

All of the green behind the brush here is some sort of stonecrop!

I will never shut up about Ecuador.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

So I have a 10-15 year old maple in my front yard that is not filling out this spring, has what has been identified as root girdling and I’m concerned it’s going to fully die. I had to chop a smaller one in my back yard recently due to what is likely the same issue, as both trees were probably planted by the same yard company before we bought the house.

It was recommended I contact an ISA arborist. I did, and they want $200 just to consult. The other local one is MIA after a few... odd text messages. So I might try this on my own. Anyone have any suggestions as to how I can approach fixing and saving this tree? Should I suck it up and pay this guy $200 to tell me I have a dead tree?

Hard to tell because of the backdrop but a good portion of branches have not leafed, and some that have are already going crispy.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Ok Comboomer posted:

Q: do I want to keep my m deliciosa indoors this summer to control size, or bring it out and encourage it to get as big as its pot(s) allow?

I have one inside and one outside, both juvenile, competing to see which one will grow faster. Fuckers.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Wallet posted:

There's quite a few epiphytic cacti in particular that are from jungles and such, it's a super diverse category.

If they were calling it stonecrop but it was 3-4 feet high it could be a Hylotelephium, maybe? It can be difficult to identify succulents that are growing naturally because cultivated specimens often look wildly different from us babying them instead of letting them deal with inconsistent water availability and getting pecked at by birds and rocks falling on top of them and poo poo.

Thread needs more sweet Ecuadorian succulent pictures IMO.

Not sure 100% if it was stonecrop - just what my plant app identified it as - specifically sedum dendroideum. I was just taken aback by how... plentiful it was. Just hundreds of square feet of the stuff.

Here's some more succulents:

So the story, in 2019 my wife and I visited some friends (expats) in Ecuador. We spent 10 days from the coast to the highlands to Guayaquil to the mountains to the edge of the Amazon and seeing so many different climates, and ecosystems, in such a short time, was amazing. I have too many pictures.

We stayed three nights at a resort on the side of a mountain overlooking Banos de Agua Santa and it was the most beautiful place I have ever been. We cried when we left. We... don't travel much, lol. Ingapirca is an Incan site - second largest behind Macchu Picchu - and Posada Ingapirca was established as a hotel after serving as quarters for excavators in the 1800s/1900s. The main building is cool as hell and all warped from earthquakes over the last century+ and at just above 10k feet in elevation. We also did a day hike, from Banos, into Ecuador's edge of the Amazon basin. Those three places are most of the pictures in the album below are form. There's like 250+ images here.

https://imgur.com/a/DvvNE34

Ok thanks for listening to my little story, I am not a great photographer.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Wondering if anyone has any recommendations for good greenhouses/nurseries primarily for houseplants in the Panama City/St Joe area? Taking a weekend trip this weekend and wanted to scope some out but my google maps searching is coming up with Home Depot etc.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

So a nice old couple sells super cheap weird plants at my local farmers market and I got this, what I think is an aloe variety, for like a couple dollars. I repotted it and found these... little things inside it. Insect eggs? No idea. Plant seems happy so I left them.

Bonus confused cactus flowering on the wrong holiday.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Wallet posted:

It's likely one of the saprophytic fungi that commonly show up in potting soil (because they eat decaying organic matter and a lot of it is humus); I wouldn't worry about it.

The plant looks like one of the climbing aloes which are now in their own genus Aloiampelos, probably Aloiampelos ciliaris.

Oh awesome, that makes sense. Thanks!

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

So my Epiphyllum oxypetalum is giving me double flower blooms, and has 5 more flower nodes on the way. It dropped two more flowers in the last two weeks, after the initial flower more than a month ago. I have no idea why it is flowering so much, but not complaining, unless it's a sign of distress or something. It smells amazing.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

My queen of the night cactus is just going nuts with blooms. All four opened up at the same time last night - I thought I had another day or two and was out being social last night but thankfully checked on it before drunkenly falling asleep.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Wallet posted:

Are they all facing the sun?

Yep - facing an East window that gets good sun through it until about 5p.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

This thing just keeps spitting out flowers. I woke up to all 8 buds in bloom this morning. Crazy.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

So our one of our older houseplants, an oxalis, has some white spots on it. My wife is freaking out. Plant seems fine - I repotted it today (it had been in the same soil for the last 5 years). The rhizomes are all at least 3 inches long and not rotted, plant is still putting out new leaves; it's fine. But she wants me to ask. Does anyone know what these spots are? I am guessing some sort of mild fungal infection; we put it outside in the rain for water a few weeks ago and then they showed up. Could it also be some sort of nutrient deficiency, given the age of the soil? It's not scale, but not exactly sure what it is otherwise.

Sorry for the not great pics, I tried to get as close as I could.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Behold, my titan sunflowers have bloomed.

https://imgur.com/fR064j4

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Wallet posted:

It looks a lot like coffee (Coffea arabica). I thought that was unlikely but Google says people sell/grow it as a houseplant so.. maybe?

I bought a baby coffee plant at Publix supermarket for like $11 6 months ago, they're definitely trendy houseplants right now.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

So I took a trip to FL this past weekend to see my nephew and appreciated all the tropical plants, and thought yall might too. I grew up here but did not appreciate the tropical plants we enjoyed, so it was fun to take a look through new eyes, so to speak. We were on Indian Rocks Beach south of Clearwater.

A Pelican chillin' at the Seabird Sanctuary across the street from our rental, in front of some Chinese hibiscus.

A dying Agave with an absolutely enormous death bloom

Was more than two stories tall.

Black vulture of some kind in a very mature Schleffera. They were all over the Seabird Sanctuary near the beach.

Bromeliads at a plant place we found - Island Bamboo in Pinellas Park. It was the only plant store we had time to check out and holy poo poo were we not disappointed.

Trailing arrowheads (or a blushing philo? couldn't tell) at Island Bamboo, in the 'employees only' area I guess I missed the sign for.

Blooming hoya at Island Bamboo, attached to the largest hoya I have ever seen. More than 6ft tall on a trellis and thick as hell.

huge

Just a neat bromeliad and hoya pole they had set up, Island Bamboo

Some pretty Thaumatophyllum bipinnatifidum, I think anyway. It grew outdoors all over the landscaped properties near the beach, I never thought twice about seeing it as a kid.

3 ft tall or so red congo philo in front of some huge bamboo clumps, Island Bamboo

Pretty anthurium leaves

Plant app called this Princess Flower, or Tibouchina urvilleana. The leaves were cool as poo poo, I wish we had a car big enough to transport it.

A kayak full of golden pothos

A monstera deliciosa happily growing on an oak tree, Island Bamboo

Other side of the same tree, with some string of nickels and an impressive staghorn fern.

An impressively sized staghorn fern at Island Bamboo. I was really impressed with this guy until I noticed what was behind it....

....which was this 7-8ft tall wonder. This thing had its own little ecosystem inside it, complete with other plants growing out of its shield leaves, moss, and a lot of happy insects. This thing was cool as poo poo.

Just some happy white birds of paradise at a minigolf course. These things were *everywhere*, I think the most mature one I saw had a legit wooded trunk and was easily 25ft tall. Was driving and couldn't get a picture :(.

Some happy fiddle leaf figs growing in someone's driveway next to the coffee shop we stopped at.

Patio area of the coffee shop we were hanging at. Dwarf umbrellas, banana tree, crotons, palms, and a mature golden pothos on the house in the back.

Anyways that's my story, I hope you enjoyed my plant pictures.

skylined! fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Aug 5, 2021

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Hi plant thread, been a while. A picture and some questions.

First, a picture. Here is the absolute mess that is my home office right now as everything was moved inside for winter:

And now a question. I have a little happy monstera karstenianum I got in May with 3 leaves. It's pushed out a bunch since, and made me real happy. A few weeks ago it got real aggressive and pushed out 3 suckers (this is literally the only thing I could find on them) and then a leaf that just opened. Still seems healthy, although the bottom 3 leaves have yellowed a tiny bit (sunburn maybe?) but I'm trying to decide what to do about the leafless vine portions, or to do nothing at all. Probably my favorite plant at the moment so want to keep it growing happily.

Pics:

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Here have some plant pictures of plants I love and how our home has been enriched by them.

Plants have been wintered for about a month and it's clear which ones are going to be fine inside and which aren't. I've had one ficus altisima just poo poo itself to a stalk, a few alocasia that are... struggling but the philos and monstera seem happy. This is what sits behind me in our office.

Big light off, camera doesn't capture how loving bright it is. Spiderfarm SF1000D light if anyone cares.

Newest philo, super happy - philo panduriforme.

Better angle

Rando succulent I bought in the Spring that spent all summer outside and it went nuts. Thinking I will chop it soon. Pretty sure it is about to flower.

I think this is a "Thanksgiving" cactus as opposed to Christmas but it should be blooming around Christmas. About to go crazy.

Deck where everything will go back in the Spring. Just got a shade tarp for a steal and tossed it up, a bit premature but turned out good! Also the tropical hibiscus on the left is still somehow blooming, even after we've had frost in the morning a few times the last 3 weeks.

We redid our kitchen last fall. We ordered some shelves a year ago. They finally arrived and we got them hung and made a bare wall into a nice little coffee bar with plants.

Got a giant golden pothos cutting in the Spring and it surprisingly continued to spit out giant leaves and not totally revert. It's shot out a few of these large aerial roots that you don't typically see unless they're in the wild.

Annnnd the window to the right of my desk.

Ok thanks for reading.

skylined! fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Dec 14, 2021

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Lakitu7 posted:

What's the mysterious glowing green box under the Xanadu?

What palms are those to take a frost? It looks like a Chinese Fan on the right but the other two are far enough I can't tell.

The mysterious green box is my PC, lol. The two palms are two majesty and a fan palm of some kind. They're doing OK so far but I expect some die-back over the winter and may need to be moved inside for extended frost. For right now I think the sun is more beneficial than frost protection, as I'm in 8b and frost has been very temporary early in the morning.

Wallet posted:

I have this Epipremnum (with a bonus little Philodendron I put in when I was repotting it a couple of weeks ago) that I've been growing in/up my hallway/furniture.

It's kind of a mess but I like it anyway and it's getting close to the ceiling now. I'd like to encourage it to start going down the wall but that's away from the window so I think I probably need a grow light. I could clip one to the door frame and keep moving it along except that I haven't seen any that seem like they have jaws anywhere near big enough for that. Anyone have any bright ideas?

So this might not be terribly helpful but my neon epi pinnatum grew into our window frame (like, into the small holes where the rope and pulley attach to the weight in an old window) before we remodeled our kitchen, and sent about 15 feet of ghost-white vines into our walls in search or whatever it could get. Pulling it all out was absolutely wild and I'm pretty sure we left more in the wall. I honestly think you'd be fine without a grow light, just continuing to train it where you want it to go. Something like this might work to tape on the top of the door and window frame, if you wanted to take it that way though? It looks great!

skylined! fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Dec 15, 2021

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Looking for a decent humidity resistant greenhouse fan. I have a 6x8 greenhouse I want to make nice for the Spring with some shelves, mulch and paver floor, and a good fan. Consdering just a basic lasko fan; we have one on our deck that has seemed to weather the elements under the roofline for a year without issue, but wondering if anyone has any recommendations.

I thought I'd build some shelves for it but holy gently caress 2x4s are still expensive as hell. Likely going the wire shelf route like what is posted a few posts up.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

So I have an opportunity to buy a monstera albo for $300 locally, which is attractive because I've wanted one and shipping in the winter is a gamble. It also could end up paying for itself if, if I can successfully sell chops or props. Couple issues/concerns to go with the opportunity:

It's in leca, which I haven't worked with before. I would have to buy some supplies, but it could be fun to learn about
It is leggy as gently caress. Not on a pole, so it's just grown kinda like a pothos - vined out to 6 or 7 leaves but all lobed and not pinnated/fenestrated
Small patch of rust-looking coloration on the back of 2 of the leaves
It's been chopped twice before, and the new variegation isn't as stable as the base of the plant

Otherwise it looks healthy. I am going to look at it tonight and see if the rust coloration is due to fungus, pest damage, edema etc and maybe leave with it. I'd probably end up chopping it and selling cuttings, and trying to start over with the mother plant, but want to get opinions.

edit video from seller: https://i.imgur.com/IUXnukV.mp4

skylined! fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jan 31, 2022

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Saw it in person and it's healthy, bought it. Will know in a few months if it was a steal or if I just set $300 on fire.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Nosre posted:

That's a $300 plant? drat. The pictures online of fully healthy ones do look pretty sweet, though, so keep us updated :)

Ya it looks pretty gnarly but it has $300 worth of cuttings to take, at least, lol. The aerial roots are very healthy with new green growth, which means propagation should have a good chance. I have $30 worth of airstone and water pump stuff headed my way to properly propagate, so after a few weeks of acclimating it'll get the chop.

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I've seen a single stem cutting on one go for almost 1/3 that price. Tulip Mania is real y'all.

Ya this factored heavily into the decision. People around me are paying $100-$200 for an unrooted 2-leaf cutting with very little hesitation.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

B33rChiller posted:

Fair enough, but is that what plants sell for these days? Like, I don't have a favorite plant store, because I'm too cheap to buy them in the first place. Those prices appear higher than what I had imagined plants would sell for, unless it was something really rare and desired.

Variegated tropicals that aren't commonly sold by the big box stores tend to go for a lot of money - they are either carefully grown stateside by small scale greenhouses or private growers, or have to be shipped from overseas - Indonesia, Ecuador, etc. Monsteras are super trendy right now, and their variegated counterparts reflect the price/demand, mostly because they don't exist at walmart or home depot. A foot tall thai constellation variegation will sell for $400+ pretty easily; mint variegations get into the thousands.

If you want to get a sense of what variegated tropicals are going for, check out myriad facebook groups that are dedicated to buy/sell/trade; they give a better sense than storefronts like Etsy that just have a sale tag on them that may not reflect what people will regularly pay. I saw an auction last week on one group for a variegated black cardinal philo that started at $800 and ended at $1600 over 24 hours. poo poo's nuts.

i am harry posted:

I have the best luck using rock wool in the basket and rooting gel from a weed grow store is good too if you don’t have anything else, only costs a couple of bucks extra but both will guarantee all those cuttings root

Awesome, I will look into it. My propagating methods to this point have all been moss in boxes or just straight up water with some rooting hormone.

skylined! fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Feb 1, 2022

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

i am harry posted:

So if I wanted to grow some plants and then sell them and use that money to offset the cost of my light, what are some good species to start off from seed?

I had some luck this year selling about $100 of titan sunflowers (at $5-$10 each depending on size) locally this year after buying a pack of 100 seeds for like $4. I have probably a thousand seeds left over from flowers that will get planted soon. They were cool as poo poo and fun to watch grow - the root system gets dense fast though, so container size is going to limit growth. I think my 5ft tall flowers were in 10 inch pots, fully filling them with roots. The bees also went nuts for them. That's about my experience, though.

Tropical seeds tend to be prohibitively expensive as well, as it's harder to get aeroids to flower outside their native habitats and the seeds I see for sale are often intentional cultivars, anthurium crosses, etc. I still see seedlings for a lot of philos go for $100+ though.

quote:

I find that you often end up with weird black growth on the stem and it takes 2-3x as long. Maybe the hormone washes off a bit too?
Open the rockwool like a clam, nestle the hormone covered cutting in it, gently close the rockwool around it, shove it in a basket and put a neoprene top on it or just some reflective metal tape, or a layer of perlite…something so the rockwool doesn’t get light. Then put it in the hole in the container lid you’ve made or whatever, and just get the very bottom of the rockwool in the water. It’ll wick up into the rest of it without being fully dunked. This will allow roots that form to both go into the water and stretch out into the air cavity between water surface and lid.

This is helpful!

edit I can't see mention of avocado trees without sharing the largest one I've ever seen. This is in Ecuador, Banos de Agua Santa on a mountainside. The canopy had to have been 60 feet across at least, and the avocados were used at a local restaurant on site. Yours is pretty too :haw:

skylined! fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Feb 1, 2022

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

i am harry posted:

No no no I want to know what you would recommend tropical plant wise. Is that monstera the most expensive or are there others like it that can fetch lots of hundreds for something that’s less than 2’ tall.
I have a shed full of weed, a $1000 light plus three others, an air conditioner/dehumidifier, an exhaust filter fan, and I’m currently in the process of sealing all the cracks, painting the whole inside in white latex, and putting together a foam insulation cover on the attic door.
So I can get this shed into the 80s in both temp and humidity if necessary and the weed won’t mind.

The challenge with a lot of sought-after aroids is that you can't anticipate variegation via seed because it's a mutation, so you're stuck with cloning which is timelocked by plant growth; and a lot of anthurium and syngonium don't reliably produce seed. You also need multiple plants for pollination if you are after seeds - I see people literally trading pollen from inflorescence in some plant groups. They just scrape and mail, lol.

There are small commercial outlets on Etsy that specialize in growing variegated monstera from cuttings and seem to do pretty well selling for $200 to many thousands but I imagine they had to spend a lot of money sourcing mother plants to propagate.

Anthuriums and rare philodendron, syngonium, monstera etc can still capture a lot of money for the right plant, if you can find seeds. Cuttings are way more reliable, though, but again, require investment. If may be worth looking through Ecuagenera's website at what they sell as a commercial global tropical shipper out of Ecuador to get an idea of pricing on mother plants and see if it's worth your time. Philodendrons are pretty easy to grow and propagate, for instance, and some of the more rare varieties can go for $50/cutting for non-variegated types. This is going to change based on whether you want to try and ship nationally or what your local market is, though.

skylined! fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Feb 1, 2022

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I recently started work propagating rare tropicals for a small concern here in the US. We have 4 greenhouses and are adding a 5th and are 5 employees large. Since we cannot compete on price/margin my boss semi-regularly flies to Ecuador and Peru to collect rare species (often that have never been for sale before anywhere) from private lands with permission/export licenses/phyto/etc. This allows us to set prices that aren't razor thin and that means we don't have to sell a zillion plants per second just to keep the lights on. Obviously this means our prices are pretty high which I think sucks but you don't absolutely NEED that Begonia darthvaderiana (that one got imported... Thailand don't gently caress around).

This is cool as poo poo and I'd be really interested in browsing pictures and galleries if yall have any online.

I love Ecuador. Some friends expatted there a while back and we didn't want to leave when we visited.

i am harry posted:

yeah i think a hefty chunk of rockwool is great for giving the plant a base to spread its foundation. you can then just plant it with the rockwool. might be necessary to cut the basket off if the roots get too thick before you move it but hydroponic baskets are like $.25 each so its no loss.

Could you possibly share a picture of your setup with this?

skylined! fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Feb 1, 2022

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Ok Comboomer posted:

Costa and a few others have been building up stock of albo and Thai constellation monstera for the last two+ years. The promise was we’d start to see them in 2021 but COVID appears to have slowed that process down and demand for normal type monstera was super high last year, so I think a lot of the real estate that would’ve gone to propagating and growing up more variegated plants went to blasting out a ton of those—but maybe 2022! I saw a YouTube interview with the guy that runs Costa a few months back and he was saying “very very soon”.

So the thing I see people waiting for with Costa is their thai constellations that they were tissue cultivating. Their website now says release some time in 2023, and a self-identified employee said on reddit recently that they were having issues with mass-scale tissue cultivation and that the whole crop may be having issues. For whatever that is worth.

edit ^ yea that

Still, this

quote:

Either way, just know that a few big players in the hobby have been openly saying for years now that they imminently intend to flood the market and pop the monstera bubble, so my advice is to not go plowing thousands of savings into building a plant flipping op if it depends on making insane profits indefinitely.

Is very sound advice and my attempt to get a free plant out of propping what I bought yesterday probably shouldn't be emulated for larger-scale profit-making lol.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

That monstera on the wall kicks rear end.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

I uh... need some suggestions for what to put in this for my wife for Valentine's Day.

Serious suggestions only, people.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

i am harry posted:

Are these what we were talking about?

These are monstera deliciosa, yea. A plant this size will go for $15 - $50 depending on where you are at, and are carried by Lowes and Home Depot almost year-round now. Wal Mart usually has them most places.

The below is a variegated juvenile example ('aurea' form, pretty rare) of the same plant that someone was selling on Facebook recently for $650 per cut node. The variegation distinguishes the rarity of these plants. Albo is a common variegation, others you can google include mint, aurea, Thai constellation, green on green, and I am sure there are others that I am missing.

Baby plant that sold for $750. At least this is rooted.

And a monstera deliciosa 'albo' variation someone was selling for $870

This will really gently caress you up, lol. This is a variegated black cardinal philodendron I watched go for $1650 on a Facebook auction over the course of an hour. Someone opened the bidding at $200. It went from $900 to $1500 in one jump. I've seen other private sellers list the same plant at $2500 on websites.

skylined! fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Feb 7, 2022

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

That Birkin looks great.

So I got some IKEA cabinets for indoor 'greenhouses' and there is a whole little niche community on Facebook/Reddit dedicated to transforming these things into vivariums. Got one set up last night and some plants in it - I have some fans and other stuff on the way still, but so far it's pretty neat. I had to make a little instagram photo set (I don't actually use instagram).

d o g

skylined! fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Feb 9, 2022

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Wallet posted:

Looks nice!

Corner dog is the best dog.

Thanks. It's going to evolve and will be a fun project.

Corner dog is Roadie. We found him on the side of the road. Center dog is Window, because we got her after she was thrown out of a car window. We are a clever people.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Bloody Cat Farm posted:

So jealous!! I’m waiting for them to come back into stock at the ikea near me so I can get one to set up for my orchids.

I genuinely wish you the best of luck. I waited for months and finally got the in-stock notification, drove 2 hours to Atlanta, reserved in-store (couldn't do click and collect because they only showed 4 in stock and they need 5 to offer it), paid, went 50 feet to the warehouse door to pick up and they were out of stock. lol. I had to get a refund and plead my case to a customer service rep for them to agree to put it aside for me the next time it was in stock - they got a shipment the next day. So I got the notification again, called, and thankfully they honored their promise and it was there when I went to pick up. IKEA's logistics are a mess right now, for good and understandable reasons, but they aren't making it any better for themselves with their wonky stock tracking. I would have gone another direction if there was anything comparable and inexpensive or I found something similar locally. Anyways that's my story and your Cattleya is pretty.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

actionjackson posted:

hello a few months ago I posted here and a bamboo palm was suggested. I just got it today. I also ordered a 12" planter from peach and pebble with the rubber drainagle hole (the plant is in a 10" container). what would you suggest for watering schedule? it says I shouldn't let the soil get completely dry, so maybe weekly? the light is coming from a large, SW facing window that is 6-7 feet away. should I place it closer to the window at least initially?

6-7 feet from the window may as well be in the dark. Watering needs are going to be based on a lot of factors - light, ambient temp, relative humidity, kind of pot and soil the plant is in etc that determine both water usage by the plant and evaporation. Weekly is probably fine but if you don't move it into some light it will just rot and die eventually. Also watch out for spider mites, every palm I've kept inside has gotten them. They're easy to detect, but be ready with a spray bottle of diluted soap or insecticidal soap to treat.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

So I tested positive for civid Wednesday despite vaccine and boost status. Mild cold symptoms now so that's good but I was running a fever yesterday and I guess I had a break from reality and chopped up my albo monstera, lol. It was gangly and a mess and poorly planted in leca from the person who sold it to me.

I air layered the hell out of it for 2 weeks and had some good growth but no secondary roots. They all have substantial aerial roots at least. I think they'll all survive but I should have waited. Lol. If there's no rot in a week I think I'll be in the clear. Pray for me, pray for the plants.

I am taking the time at home to thoroughly clean all my plants. Wiping down leaves takes a while but it's been nice, meditative even.

I also updated the ikea cabinet (before the covod bout). Made shelves with leftover cabinet panels from our kitchen remodel. Turned out nice. There's 6 grow lights and 5 fans in this thing. Just need the weather to warm up so these cacti can go outside and the tropicals in the mail can go in.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

actionjackson posted:

I've gotten a lot of mixed messages on this. The slip that came with the plant said high light, but another plant place said you don't want direct light, and that medium light is fine, though they did recommend initially having it close to the window, for the first month.

for example https://www.south-florida-plant-guide.com/bamboo-palm.html

"Use in an area of the house that provides good indirect light. If the palm sits in front of a bright window with some sun, make sure the window is screened to filter the light."

https://plants.ces.ncsu.edu/plants/chamaedorea-elegans/

"They need bright indirect light and low to medium humidity levels, though they can tolerate low-light conditions. Try to keep near a north- or east-facing window if possible for optimal light levels. "

the place that sold this to me said I should only do south or west facing windows, which apparently are brighter.

If I put it right next to the window it would have a lot of direct light, which these sites say is not what I want. It's very confusing.

Measuring light and mimicking the environment the plant was grown in is the way to go in my experience. This plant was likely grown in a greenhouse where it received 1500-2500 or more foot candles of light per day for 12-14 hours a day. Right now my west facing window is getting 1050 foot candles with my meter at 520pm. The light is filtered through a small tree but otherwise is direct late afternoon light. Like right on the window. 5 feet from the window is 122 foot candles of light. That's just enough light to keep the plant alive for a while until it inevitably rots or dries out in a few months.

Sellers tell you not to let a plant get direct light because they don't want the plant to get scorched (or they want people to think they have more spots in their homes for plants, i dunno), which is ok advice, but plants need light. Even filtered forest light is way way brighter than what you'll get a few feet from an interior window.

Here is a decent article: https://www.houseplantjournal.com/bright-indirect-light-requirements-by-plant/

skylined! fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Feb 18, 2022

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

actionjackson posted:

I mean, that NC state article seems to be quite the opposite - they suggest north or east facing, which look like they get less light than south or west. the link you gave said it could tolerate no more than 1-2 hours direct (well for parlour palm, bamboo palm was not listed), and it would be very direct in front of the window, again because it's SW facing, and especially now in the winter, where you get blasted by the sun in mid-afternoon.

would it be accurate to say that, based on your link, if I do put it in front of the window when the sun is coming in, not to do it for more than 1-2 hours?

Windowed light isn't direct light. This also gets confusing. Glass filters UVB light. At the end of the day your plant is better off getting sun right next to the window than a few feet from it. Your best bet is to let it stay near the window and check it daily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Ok Comboomer posted:

sometimes windows can cause light focusing and burning/hot spots. My parents’ living room has spots that will laser kill plants that generally do great in tons of sun, even high desert plants

Agreed that AJ should start by putting the palm by the windowsill with daily checks. Ideally for the palm, it would probably be out on the patio by the end of April.

Ya that's fair. And conversely newer windows may also have UVA shielding that filter even more light. Best bet is to experiment, but leaving the plant a few feet from a window is just killing it slowly.