Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Woh, is that a thing I like??
Camellia question that I posted too late on the old thread:

Any ideas on what causes these leaf "holes"?
This specimen is planted out in the garden, semi shade, and a good number of the leaves have these, almost like burn holes, but otherwise it seems ok (despite probably needing more feed and compost, (the climate here in Germany is tbh not great for them either)).

I wonder if maybe it's something to do with a sooty-mold that I often see on camelias that spend time over winter in a greenhouse?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Cowwan posted:

How much of a pain is it to start English Lavender from seeds?
The package makes it sound pretty simple, but other resources make it sound like I need to keep them cold for a few weeks (not happening), or just state "Lavender isn’t easy to grow from seed".

Lavender is perfectly happy with seeding itself all over the place, even thhrough gravel/mineral mulch, so I imagine follow the packet instructions and you are good to go.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

My goodness, lavender in Florida sounds like a challenge!
We have a great "airated lava-stone substrate" here, (being right by a supervolcano has some benefits) that L. angustifolia goes nuts for; also makes for excellent green-roofing substrate

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

I always assume there is a little microclimate direct by the window, due to the tendency of water droplets to gather on cold glass at night and evaporate during the day.

Maybe an air moisture sensor(s) would be good for orchid growers? They are dirt cheap and give you the air moisture as a percentage, so you could move them around the room/house and find out where the best spots are.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Platystemon posted:

It’s not necessarily that the area is any more humid than the open areas of the house. It’s just that the glass is cold. If its surface drops below the dew point, dew will form on it.

This could happen if, say, the air in your home is at forty percent humidity and twenty‐two Celsius and the glass cools to eight degrees.

Yes I get that, what I mean is our (closed) cold window is a collection point for water droplets at night so in theory the air directly by the window should be moister, as they evaporate over the day?
People with good floweing orchids, I have noticed as I walk by anyway, often have them direct by the window and then have a lacy curtain (I have no idea what this is really called) directly behind them.
I have to assume that they have, deliberately or not, upped the chances of the air directly by the window being moister.

I think it would be interesting to test all this with the the monitor. Or maybe it will turn out that an average room is just too small to have radical differences in air moisture.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Platystemon posted:

Enclosing the plants is really the way to go because it takes a lot of water to moisten the air in the whole living space, and now you have a bunch of moist air in your living space and it’s dank and you’re getting condensation in the walls and it’s causing problems.

You don’t even need to do anything special once you enclose them. They’ll generate humidity on their own as they take liquid water in at the roots and let vapour out at the leaves.

Wasn't it really common to display orchids under bell jars or something?

I seem to remember seeing something in an old 18th century house/museum

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Nosre posted:

I thought orchids ALSO liked moving air? Read that and figured it meant bell jars/terrariums etc were a bad idea

No idea! Just remember seeing them.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

I think I would love in a geodesic dome if I could find a place with enough land (and no neighbors).

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Gonna read that post now and probably laugh.

Deer oh deer. Maybe dig some big pits, nothing bad can go wrong I am sure.

E.lol, wabbits. A customer of mine is like a nature guide/woodsman/self sufficiency (except landscape gardening for some reason) type who is actually pretty famous in Germany.
Anyway, I had never seen how people dispatch rabbits kept for food before, and despite being raised pretty rural I was legit a bit shocked.

RickRogers fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Dec 23, 2020

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

I. M. Gei posted:

Best way to fix a pair of Fiskars loppers that the blades are starting to separate on so they’ll cut clean again?

I wouldn’t mind some recs on a good pair of pruning shears, either. My fruit trees are finally starting to shed their leaves and I need to trim them a bit.

Can you make a photo? They should have an adjustment screw or something. I have some of the larger Fiskars loppers at work, but I can't remember what they look like.
Otherwise maybe they just need to be honed/sharpened, as the metal starts to deform with repeated use. (I find Fiskars are in general very useful tools but the metal is way too soft)

For pruning shears, it depends on your budget and maybe how strong your hands are.
(Also consider a small pruning saw for cleaner cutting in larger branches (Felco, silky and ARS are all very good, with silky being perhaps "the best" imo))

But please don't get ones with plastic handles; they don't last!

I have a Felco 9, with the steeper cutting angle and 7 with steeper cutting angle and a rolling grip to offer some hand relief.
Felco 2 are the standard model and are fine, but I find them somehow a little cumbersome.

I am sure some people will swear by the Japanese brands, such as Okatsune, but as I have not tried them yet, so I cannot say much!

I can however say that an opening catch at the top is definitely not my thing.
It is in fact very annoying.

RickRogers fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Dec 30, 2020

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Babby Satan posted:

Hello all,

I was referred to this thread by the good people on Discord because I have a poo poo ton of questions about a poo poo ton of indoor plants and apparently, y'all might be able to provide some answers. I'll try not to bombard you with too many questions, but if someone can shed some light as to what the hell is up with my (already very etiolated) aloe (juvenna or zanzibarica, not sure :/ ) I would be really grateful. I've had the thing for years and even though it is very very leggy, it is still producing offshoots even after I repotted it last November. I recently moved so I've changed its location - it used to be close to a window and now it's directly in front of a window, for information - but since I moved it's been going slightly brown. I've done a lot of research on the internet but other than potential sunburn, I haven't found anything that might explain its sudden change in colour.
I removed some dead and shrivelled leaves the other day and put it back into the soil proper because it was kind of... falling out of the soil? I'd hate to see the thing die but I genuinely don't know what is up with it and what to do to make it at least regain its greeny colour. I don't expect it to become all compact again (unless I do some trimming and propagating but I'm not experienced enough to mess around with that).
Any insight would be greatly appreciated! :ohdear:

Aloe in question.

I dunno, my personal and completely unscientific experience is my aloe goes brownish but stays healthy when I put it close to the window.
I have often tried and failed to kill aloe, even by over watering.

After musing a little, I have wonder if the gravel you use as a top dressing is having a negative effect.
My reasoning is if the layer is too thick and the stones too large and irregular then the soil my stay damp for longer (regardless of if you have a good, free-draining substrate) and the plant will struggle with that or even to just to grow through from its base.

There are really capable house plant experts here, so I am sure they will give some real advice!

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Babby Satan posted:

You know, I never thought that the white pebbles might be affecting the drainage. Afaik they don't because the water does still seep down but I did put some smaller gravel-esque pebbles on the bottom of the pot too. But you make a really good point! I'll take the top ones out and see what happens. Thanks for the tip! :)

More they may hinder evaporation. Welcome!

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Wallet posted:

You can definitely do it.

Thanks for believing in me :)

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Speleothing posted:

We bought a house and the yard is lined with Ailanthus altissima.

I want it dead and gone so we can plant native species that will actually block the view of the utility substation next door.

How do I kill it permanently?

Good luck, you will need it.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

4 is def a Buddleia. 2 might be an elder (Sambuccus)

3 could be a lilac I guess.

1 could be cherry laurel.

5 looks like it has been dead for a while

Honestly though, they all look like small to medium shrubs at best; I wouldn't have thought that they would have such huge root systems and water requirements as to cause problems upon removal.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

B33rChiller posted:

4 looks like it could be lilac also

edit: never mind, I don't know what I'm talking about

Shame yourself! But yes, without leaves and flowers they are all kind of generic and shrubby looking

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Ragtime All The Time posted:

Any suggestions for strengthening juniper trees? I have 9 foot tall juniper and it’s been unhealthy ever since we moved to this place in north eastern Rhode Island.

It gets full sun but the soil around is really compacted which I’m working on amending to improve drainage and aeration but I’m not familiar with what these guys like.

Got a picture and the species? I am only used to European Junipers, but they probably have similar requirements.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Jaded Burnout posted:

Re the previous identification, is there any chance any of them are a willow?

If any then 5, as it has alternating buds, but it's really hard to tell without some kind of close up. If it has/had thorns/prickles then no chance it's a willow.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Here it is:

Will add an additional photo when awfulapp decides to stop crashing.

e:

Not sure of the species but am assuming it is a common juniper which I think is indigenous to the area but has been in decline over the past few hundred years.

bonus sphagnum moss and window cat:

My first general thougts with more later when I read up a little bit on the subject.

Your Juniper looks in pretty bad shape and has a very limited space for the roots to spread out.

I would be careful what you do with the soil around the roots in case by trying to relieve one problem you damage the roots and make the Juniper even more unhappy.

Mulching with park/chippings can cause problems with uptake of nutrients and exacerbate the problem.

Tea fertilizer is perhaps the key here to getting nutrients directly to the roots without disturbing them
I use one from Orus, or Wuxal that are very good for evergreens.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Thanks for the tips. I've hit it with some liquid fertilizer around the apparent end of the root spread.

No prob, I am not sure there is much more you can do except watching to see if there are pests and diseases present.

I cut back some column form Junipers pretty hard around a month ago, as they were starting to fall all over the place.
I cleaned as many of the dead needles out as possible and mulched the roots with compost/gave them liquid feed and a granular organic fertilizer with lots of trace elements in.
They are growing back nicely now, even from deep on the old wood and I hope they keep their shape better.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Cool stuff! I too love planting trees and should stop soon before it is too late.

Here is something one of my customers decided to put into their garden after my last visit:

(Slightly :nws:)

I did suggest a few types of tree to them last time, but I guess they just didn't quite understand me.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

I. M. Gei posted:

Wellllll poo poo, this is what I was afraid of. Unfortunately this tree and all of its limbs are totally inaccessible from my house (too high up) or from the street (too far for a box lift to reach), so pretty much the only way to get to it is from the neighbor’s yard. I was hoping the city might have jurisdiction to take care of it without us having to talk to the neighbors or get their permission, partly because I’m always paranoid about setting off a neighbor feud, but I guess not.

So I guess step 1 is gonna be to talk to the neighbors and ask them to help cover the cost of removing the downed limb from out roof and/or let someone into their yard to take care of any other potential problem branches? What’s my next option if they say no?

Bonus lovely photos of the tree on our roof

Kinda hard to see it from this angle due to the half-dead camelia bush blocking the view

This angle is a lot better

I tried to get a pic of the limb hanging on the power line and this was about the best I could do

poo poo, I have no idea about US laws, but here in DE it would be totally on the tree owners cost and/or insurance to cover that kind of thing.

Would 100 percent get a good arborist company to sort that branch out and establish the health of the tee/further measures needed.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

I. M. Gei posted:

We just want to get the fallen limb off of our roof and off the power line. As far as I know it’s possible that we can do that without the tree guys needing to go into the neighbor’s yard; we can’t really know that one way or another until they come and take a look at it themselves. That could be days from now though. We’ve got plenty of time to talk to the neighbors between now and then.

The biggest concern is that the limb is still partially attached to the tree and the rest of it could still fall off at any time and cause some actual damage. The tree crew might be able to cut off enough of it from our side of the fence to keep poo poo from falling on us without going onto the neighbor’s property, or they might not. Or the neighbors might offer to trim it themselves, in which case we can cancel our quote appointments or push them back a week or two.

Actually sounds like you should just speak to your neighbors ASAP, assuming they are reasonable people.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Schmeichy posted:

I like groundcover thyme as a lawn alternative, and it should do fine in shade but might need some help getting established.

This, but I have seen Oregano take over a lawn unintentionally and the owners found it so nice and pleasant to walk barefoot on they just let it be.

If you insist on grass, it may be more adverse conditions than just a bit of shade causing moss build up and there are grass seed mixes that do better in shade.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Bloody Cat Farm posted:

Thyme actually sounds like an awesome idea. Thank you!

What else could be causing it?

There’s pachysandra all over here. It’s nice, but a bit too bushy for the whole yard. It grows amazingly well here.

Poor drainage/compaction/low fertility/pH etc.

Tbh I hate lawn care as it is always an uphill struggle and sometimes the (literal) underlying cause is that the whole soil structure is terrible for grass.
And even when you have it looking good, without a proper yearly maintenance plan (aerification/scarification/4 to 5 times a year fertilizing/Autumn feed/raking/more raking/mowing at an appropriate hight) it can go back to poo poo so quickly that it's not worth trying to get it looking good in the first place.

I think what you basically want is a nice surface for your kid to play on though, so grass is actually not necessary, or at least not everywhere.
Maybe in the worst most shaded areas have a play zone with a swing or whatever, where you could just cover it in woodchips or something would make a nice soft landing?

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

I. M. Gei posted:

By the way if any (or all) of the stuff I said in either of those last two posts is wrong then feel free to correct me. I’m hoping to plant some azaleas in our yard either later this year or early next year, and the less mistaken I am on what I think I know about them, the better. Same goes for fixing up our lawn.

I really hope to God I didn’t gently caress up too many facts in those posts; I’m so loving sick and tired of seemingly always being wrong as gently caress about everything

Lol, yeah you are right about reseeding/overseeding.
I do it after scarification for customers and it should work, but we often get sudden dry spells in Spring/Fall and then they don't water the newly sprouted seeds so it was all for nothing.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Privet is specifically grown as a hedge. That's what it's for lol

I think he is specifically refering to the building/planting of a hedgerow, which is a little different from a hedge and not suitable for all hedging plants, lol.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Here are what the old hedgerows around where I grew up are like. They are pretty crazy and very good for wildlife.

They also have a load of wildflowers in them.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Is it not common to go to a tree nursery in America?

Maybe I'm just spoiled because I live near some good ones, but if I want a good tree I go to one and pick it out.

I get the convenience of shipping, but every time I try it I am disappointed.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Definitely agree on the ornamental gravel/mulch; at least (if removing it is not on the table) remove a circle of it around each plant, but in a barrier to stop it 'falling back in' as it were (I'll put in a picture to show what I mean if I can find one), fertilize and mulch with something more appropriate.

Cut back the dead rose shoots, fertilize well and give the new shoots some space to come up. It's strange that all the old growth looks like it died back, so I'm guessing the wind/cold was pretty bad

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

bagmonkey posted:

Don't ask me why but I really like hostas

...hosta matter with you?

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

In German they call them "Funkien" which I think is nice

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

ohhyeah posted:

What’s destroying my plants?

I don’t usually mind a few pests but this is ridiculous.

Some interesting looking necrosis going on.

If you can't see a pest then the causes can vary from too much water, fertilizer/chemical damage to "plant has given up will to live"

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

ohhyeah posted:

Those plants are in two big semi-permanent pots that flank my front steps. I stick annuals in them every year and don’t do much else. They usually do great. I'm not sure what to do besides replace the soil?

Maybe I’ll do like some spells to get rid of the bad vibes. If they just died for no reason I feel like any new plants will be moving into a haunted house.

For a job that went over a few years, I had to replace somebody's annuals in x-many containers, 3 times a year and once the container soil was removed at the top and only topped up (and every two weeks or whatever, used some liquid feed).
We noticed that the summer plants were markedly poorer and sicker than previous years, and didn't last as long before many decided to rot away and give up in September.

So long story short, our customer (basically rich uncle penny bags wannabe) decided not to spare money in the future and we replaced the substrate completely each time and the plants were generally healthier.

Tldr: yeah, spells probably work!

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

oatmealraisin posted:

Should I prop this sunflower up or will it stop slouching on its own when it gets older?

Looks a bit effed, RIP sunflower.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Ok Comboomer posted:

looks like some kind of (probably ornamental, probably dwarf/small growing) stonefruit plant, like a cherry or a plum or a peach

can we get a better look at the leaves and flowers, preferably under a more neutral light?

Yeah it looks like either a Prunus cerasifera sort or its dwarf cross, the Prunus × cistena.

What kind of problems would be expected from the op though?
If it grew a little higher it could give some nice shade.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Posting my Turkish poppies, that refused to die despite the house owner excavating out this bed by about 2 feet.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Woodpile posted:

Good stuff. My glads starting blooming today. One is almost 6 feet tall.

:yeshaha: post glads plz

Back to poppies, yeah they are pretty fabulous pink poppies.

I also have these P. rhoeas (sorry, I only know the German common names for a lot of plants) from a wild flower mix, as a "gently caress you" to the neat and tidy neighbors who used to mow this strip of no man's land between our house and the street.

And these here are my special new poppies, of which I have yet to research the legalities in my resident country. Nice soft colors though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Atlas Cedars do have a very unfortunate habit of losing limbs in storms, specifically at points where they have previously been topped/had work done.

They never really heal from having limbs removed, but then continue growing up and around at these points which can then trap rain water and develop a long horizontal fault, which at some point just shears off.

In other words, like mentioned, the roots (if undisturbed) are usually very stable, but an inspection in the crown of older trees every few years is recommended