Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I do think the Rogue Squadron comics are probably the only place we really see Tycho and Winter together, which is otherwise a relationship that felt like it took place almost entirely offscreen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

How was Battle Scars?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Finished a re-read of the Dark Horse KOTOR comics and I really miss that crew. Jarael never quite got the focus I would have liked but she was never just ignored or anything like other SW characters have been. (Apparently at some point I bout her outfit in SWTOR. It's no longer sold in the Cartel Market for reasons I am unclear on.) It's a very solid series and certainly in comics these days it feels rare to let a writer to just go off and do their own thing for ages.

Minor thoughts:

The big inter-series crossover that involved the origin of the rakghouls was not terribly intrusive as it starts in KOTOR.

John Jackson Miller - who honestly I've never disliked anything I read of - seemed to really like breaking the "Planet of Hats" trope with SW aliens. First Griff and Snivvians like art, so he likes the art of the deal. Then he branches out more and you have what I think are the first goofy Trandoshan (if a master chef) and stupid Ithorians. Even one of Zayne's fellow Padawans was apparently a Falleen.

It was clever to have the 'no romantic attachments' Jedi be a vocal minority that became a majority later, even if you always had people who ignored it and got away with it. Ki Adi Mundi had his... harem question mark and even in SWTOR Bastila/Revan descendant Satele Shan had a son and nobody seemed super eager to drum her out of the order for it.
--

I've also been reading some High Republic stuff. After going through this and the last thread's backlog and the... good heavens... of earlier work it's nice to have Jedi who try to process their feelings, as an article I read said. I'm not going HAM on the multimedia enterprise, though. For whatever reason I'm sticking with stuff that has Vern as a central focus. The Nihil are so far a bit underwhelming as villains but she's fun and her Master/Padawan relationship with Imri who's like a year younger than Vern is interesting.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I heard they shuttled you around at such a breakneck pace from activity you couldn't really enjoy anything and sometimes didn't even have time to change clothes.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Arquinsiel posted:

I also heard that, but it was from the theatre kids who were planning to change costumes for dinner and then again for hanging out in the bar after dinner and...

So yeah, I can see why they had that problem.

If it helps, in this case I heard it from a fairly average family and it was the big send off dinner and they wanted to change but they only had like ten minutes between that and playing sabacc or whatever.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

fartknocker posted:

Crystal Star was one of the handful of books I skipped when I did my multi-year EU reread. I got like 50~ pages in and it was just so boring and bland and I wanted to move on to stuff that seemed better.

But you apparently miss werewolves and centaurs! Also the Solo kids getting kidnapped. Again.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The Shame Boy posted:

I thought that was Han Solo in a different book? Or did he just punch one?

Corran goes on for an extended period how hot he found said otter in a slinky dress before they did the Dark Side tango. This became funnier when Selonians were more depicted as just upright otters. (The same is true for Gavin Darklighter when Bothans suddenly got a muzzle in their depictions.)

I remember enjoying Rogue Squadron on the whole, even if trying to shoehorn in the fighter jock terms felt clunky and for some reason Corran constantly referring to telekinesis as 'teke' - which by the way he wasn't good at - were irritating to me even then.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Chairman Capone posted:

Outlaws' lead writer was the head writer on Far Cry 6 and Watch Dogs: Legion, didn't play either of those but seems like the stories of both weren't great, but I also can't really remember the last Star Wars game with a really good story (haven't played Jedi: Survivor yet so can't comment on that).

Survivor and Fallen Order are... fine but the latter especially has large chunks where you're not doing anything story related because you want to scale a mountain and see if there's a new cosmetic chest up there which feels like both feature and bug. When it focuses on the characters it's pretty good. Like a lot of people I felt like making the MC a standard white dude was the most boring choice possible but I came around on Cal. His supporting cast is pretty good too, especially his Nightsister buddy Merrin. (I keep hearing the tie-in novel is super horny for a Star Wars book.)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

OhFunny posted:

In the old canon, the Empire never surrenders. The war goes on for another two decades. Even as Imperial military strength wanes from defeats and warlordism. It has periods of resurgence under the reborn Emperor, Thrawn, Daala that threaten the New Republic. So the military remains a powerful force politically.

I seem to recall that, especially if you count that everybody claims the Outer Rim even if nobody actually cared about controlling it, at least around Thrawn's time the New Republic also wasn't super big because the Empire still controlled the Deep Core and whatever other territory.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I always wondered about the strictures Lucasfilm placed on Bantam, like if we got so much Imperial Remnant was because they didn't want a writer stepping on anything Lucasfilm might do, like how prickly they got according to Zahn referencing anything to do with the Clone Wars (back when we thought it was a war against clones).

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Xenomrph posted:

Yeah but the Empire did in fact materially lose at Jakku, the war was over. According to (my understanding of) the fiction, the Empire committed all of their available military might at Jakku and lost soundly. The franchise fiction hasn’t tried to spin it like “MISSION ACCOMPLISHED” New Republic propaganda.

It's not really worth thinking about it too much, but thinking about it too much that always felt weird. You'd think the Empire would still have a much more massive fleet even then.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

How old was Jaina supposed to be in the Vong stuff and NJO? It felt like they kept trying to go for 'bubbly teen' for probably longer than they should have.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

There's a West End Games adventure book called The Politics of Contraband which is based off the line from the Glenn Frey song but, according to legend, it was originally called something else whose name escapes me but something Lucasfilms lost their minds over because it implied that the player characters were criminals - like, you know, smugglers be - and they couldn't have that. A shame they didn't get to talk to George about it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Calax posted:

Darksaber felt like somebody told Kevin J Anderson "Look dude, we need to put a stop to this random Imperial of the Week who can somehow challenge the New Republic." and he gave a GIANT STUPID SMILE so he could have his personal favorite seize control (Ms. Slept My Way to the Top).

A reminder that Tarkin was such an exceptional lover Daala never bothered with sex again. "After him, fantasizing had been enough."

Not the first bit of horny from KJA that got tamped down later, like how it was retconned Luke talking to Lando and Mara and Mara was wearing one of Lando's shirts was just some secret mission where they were working together. Admittedly it is a bit of a reach for Mara to go to Luke from Lando. :smugdog:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Chairman Capone posted:

People Daala has officially slept with:

Boba Fett

Was that Traviss' doing?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

fartknocker posted:

Wasn’t that from Barbara Hambly’s Children of the Jedi? I don’t have it on hand to check at the moment, and I know KJA made the initial push for Mara and Lando together somewhere late in the Jedi Academy trilogy when they start working together (But nothing romantic happens at all), but I thought the more implicit attempt to show them being together was when Leia and Han talk to them on the HoloNet at one point in Children of the Jedi.

You're quite right! I even found the quote:

Children of the Jedi posted:

“What? Who is it?”

Leia prodded her husband’s shoulder. “I told you you should have waited for her to call back.” She turned back to the holo image of the woman in the field, fiery hair tousled, green eyes blinking into the dim glow of the lights on her end of the transmission. She wore a gold chain around her neck and a shirt Leia recognized as belonging to Lando Calrissian. “Mara, I’m sorry …”

“No, it’s all right.” Mara Jade rubbed her eyes with a quick gesture, and that seemed to take care of any residual sleepiness, as if she’d clicked off a switch. “I must look like one of the Nightsisters of Dathomir. What time is it where you are? What’s up? Is there a problem?”

[...]

Mara made an extremely unladylike comment and Lando Calrissian appeared behind her shoulder, waxed and combed and dressed in his best purple satin for an evening out.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Vinylshadow posted:

I'm amazed they haven't made Lando bi/pan (Wonder if there's a story where Billy Dee was asked about it and he said no)

Childish Gambino posted:

Glover later confirmed that's how he approached the role during an interview on Sirius XM's EW Radio show, stating, "It just didn't seem that weird to me because I feel like if you're in space it's kind of like, the door is open!" Glover said. "It's like, no only guys or girls. No, it's anything. This thing is literally a blob. Are you a man or a woman? Like, who cares? Have good time out here."

That's nice anyway.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I do feel like a lot of Stackpole's rep comes from being mediocre, which as somebody who made their bones in RPG-related fiction made him unfortunately a standout. I've never read his Battletech stuff but am told that the quality viewed with a critical eye never reaches beyond the heights of "all right I guess, considering" but his Shadowrun stuff - which admittedly was only some short stories about his pet characters - never impressed me much and Shadowrun fiction sets a pretty low bar.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Aren't the Ssi-Ruuk capped by the Vong later on? Even if that was probably "here's something you vaguely recognize for Impact."

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Casimir Radon posted:

Back when I read the NJO I hadn’t read The Truce at Bakura or The Black Fleet Crisis so I thought I must really be missing out. Yeah, not so much.

Black Fleet is one of the EU things I have absolutely no knowledge of save, I guess, there was a Black Fleet and a crisis.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Dapper_Swindler posted:

why does she look like oogie boogie if he was an ameboa and drawn by Dav Pilkey.

I've always wondered where that art comes from. I assume it's fanart. Reading her wiki entry she doesn't appear to have ever been drawn much because all the pictures are of other people.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Arc Hammer posted:

Everyone knows that the best Mormon Science Fiction is the DOOM novelization where DoomGuy goes back to Earth and gets a hot DoomGal wife and they fight off the demons like God intended. Yeah he's catholic but that just means he's got more beef with the demons and Sandy Peterson is Mormon anyways and doomguy teams up with Mormons on earth to fight the demons.

Those are up there with the Resident Evil novels. Admittedly S.D. Perry was working off some badly translated notes of story elements she had to include, but they're still goofy fun like trying to rational just why the women dress as they do in some of the games. Especially Jill in RE3.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Chairman Capone posted:

I went to college in Greensboro where Card lives and a guy I knew managed to interview him for some political science project, all I remember was him saying that Card was a weird guy in person.

Connecting it back to Star Wars tangentially, kind of weird to think that Card worked on some of the early 90s LucasArts classics.

Yeah, it wrinkles my brain he wrote the sword fighting dialogue for Monkey Island.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Arquinsiel posted:

The writer profiles in the old WEG Adventure Journals had a lot of similarly weird stuff in them. Lots of people really needed us to know their specific religious beliefs, or how they thought families should be organised. Similarly there were other authors who just loved getting to put their nonsensical OC Do Not Steal into the universe.

Adventure Journals was a wonderful concept that we shall not see the like of again but yeah, it was also a real grab bag with some people who thought they were going to make their MARK ON STAR WARS in between write ups of different tramp freighters and a scenario for the original miniatures game.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Arquinsiel posted:

The comic was pretty good so I may get that one.

Yeah, John Jackson Miller's Star Wars stuff was always really good. Loved his KOTOR comic. Knight Errant doesn't have any interpersonal dynamics as fun as Zayne bouncing off of The Gryph or Jarael but it does show Sith Lords being different flavors of weird petty tyrants. (I genuinely don't think people were allowed to write Jedi with genuine senses of humor in the novels so Kerra doesn't get to show a lot of wit, which is a shame as JJM was good at that.)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rise of Skywalker could have been saved by "I bid you dark greetings."

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

On the John Jackson Miller front he also wrote the excellent prequel novel to Rebels called A New Dawn featuring Hera and Kanan which I highly recommend.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Chairman Capone posted:

But I think the funniest thing about the Jedi Prince books are that for years they and Dark Empire were the go-to evidence for the subset of fans who really vocally disliked the EU, and once the Disney purchase happened those people were so ecstatic that the terrible EU stories about Palpatine's grandkid and Palpatine's resurrection would be thrown out and the "real" much better stories would finally be told in movie form. Didn't seem to hear a lot from them after Rise of Skywalker came out, though....

There was always that minority of fan who hated the EU for reasons that, upon investigation, were pretty arbitrary but there was some amusement to be had when they swore up and down once the buyout happened that you would never see a single shred of the old EU in anything forever, never expecting that Filoni would grab from it with both hands among other people.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Robot Style posted:

Which reminds me that Peña also canonized the Star Wars VHS Game, and made two of its player characters Lumiya and Kyle Katarn.

Vaguely related, a random NPC in the WEG book 'Cracken's Rebel Operatives' turned out to be Jan Ors. Given her stats, she could have gotten the Death Star plans herself.

Did Kyle and Jan ever get together?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Vinylshadow posted:

They were romantically involved, and he asked her to marry him during the Vong war, but she refused

Huh. Fair enough, I guess.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lord Hydronium posted:

The Battle of Toprawa version was the first one, it goes all the way back to Brian Daley's radio drama in 1981. Dark Forces was probably the first one most people were exposed to, though; other than the aforementioned choose your own adventure book (Jedi Dawn), the Toprawa version largely lurked as a background detail for a while, popping up in WEG a few times. It shows up in some of the late Bantam books more as a part of Tyria's backstory in Wraith Squadron and the battle actually being shown in the Han Solo Trilogy (Bria Tharen is part of it).

Yeah, it's never touched on a whole lot in WEG because a lot of those books were written before Dark Forces so there weren't, for lack of a better term, conflicting accounts.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rochallor posted:

I like that idea the Leia has been doing this sort of thing for a couple years, running ops for the Rebellion under the auspices of DIPLOMATIC IMMUNITY, and after her cover is blown in ANH she has to resort to more Hitman-style stealing-people's-outfits-shenanigans, culminating with her biting off more than she can chew in ROTJ. She should have just thrown a credit chip in the corner and dropped the chandelier on Jabba when he crawled over to pick it up instead of going for one of the scripted assassinations.

Look, if you buy the premium Boushh DLC cosmetic you want to use it, okay?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

astr0man posted:

It's fine at best? Courtship Zsinj is also nothing like the wraith squadron version, and I always thought it was weird that they even bothered sticking that "if you liked this it's continued in courtship!" blurb in at the end of solo command.

I don't even recall Zsinj being in Courtship very much, but it's been ages since I've read it admittedly. More that he's just this sort of overall threat thanks to his Super Star Destroyer in orbit.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

"Mama."
―Zsinj's first and last word

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Chairman Capone posted:

The full Ahsoka trailer is out. Aside from a full view of Elon Musk Thrawn, one other EU element present: an E-wing in it, which was cool to see in live-action. It was always one of my favorite EU fighter designs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_1EXWNETiI

It's dumb but I'm glad Sabine cuts her hair.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Vinylshadow posted:

(That at least can be slightly rationalized as Sabine colored his hair; here's hoping they at least remember that his ears are green)

It was always odd they decided what a human/Twi'lek hybrid would look like was 'have green ears, I guess.'

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

My favorite Star Wars ship is the Moldy Crow. (Or the HWK-290 light freighter if you want to get Wookipedia about it.)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

thrawn527 posted:

Yup, and it got weirder.

Ah, yes, the 'sometimes Hutts have hair, I guess' bit.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Radio! posted:

The placement of Leia's shoulder made me think he was also wearing a little beret and now I'm disappointed he's not.

I'm sorry, Leia is only to have two different hairstyles and is not allowed to wear a hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Arc Hammer posted:

We've been ambushed by a Sith battle fleet! The Endar Spire is under attack! Hurry up - we don't have much time!

"We take different shifts. That's probably why you haven't seen me before."

That top tier BioWare writing!