Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

goatface posted:

I have no idea how you stay sane with such minimal holiday per year.

A sane, working American is a unicorn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

You have thoroughly drank the koolaid if you are taking meetings into the shitter.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Xenthalon posted:

At our company we all have super sweet, tricked out, top of the line HP Elitebooks. i7s, 16GB RAM, 120hz displays, BANG&OLUFSEN Sound Systems, the best hardware HP sells, all the way up there when you sort-by-price descending. Every employee has them to work from home really well.

What do we do with those you ask? Are we all gamers, top tier developers, big data analyists? No. We use them to log in to the company VPN, then connect to our virtual machines where we do our actual work.

The notebooks are locked down super hard, so you can only really use them for powerpoints and browsing the intranet. All that good hardware wasted on the middle managers.

My company gives us the same laptops, but everything (everything.) is done through shared network drives that are slower than dialup so the hardware is wasted anyway.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Boomer bosses don't feel superior unless they can make other people physically uncomfortable with their presence. Isn't that basic office life 101?

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

d0s posted:

a while back I posted about the crusty system (©1998!) the company that bought us out is switching us over to. we're in the phase of training on it and nearly every question we have about how to manipulate and display data within it is answered by "paste it into excel and do it there". this is a company valued in the billions

There's a way, but everyone who knows how refuses to share that knowledge, and only a sleect few know that he knows. That's how this works.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

I get voice mails all the time at my work. Most of them say things like hey this is so-and-so could you please give me a call back? Or hey this is so-and-so and I think your email (that said do not contact me for questions) had something wrong and it could you call me back please?

I did get one voicemail once that was kind of important in the last year.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

The best advice I ever got as an aspiring teacher was to never talk to another teacher.

I've never heard of a nurse getting such solid advice.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Son of Rodney posted:

Can someone explain to me what this test is about? It sounds like the weird 16 personality types that are popular on dating platforms, but for companies. Am I close?

It's touted as a measure of how much your employees are likely to recommend the company koolaid to another human being. Positive means you would recommend.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Watching the new hire next to me use only his laptop screen and not the connected monitor, for the last 2 weeks.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

First required day back in the office. Can't wait to sit in nearly 6 hours of meetings that were once audio only and now require me to pretend I care in person.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

What kind of waste of a human being feels superior because they make money for their boss in a "superior" way? lmao.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Life is a continuing exercise is finding out that some people didn't learn that people are fuckin stupid and adulthood changes nothing to do with that.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

We only had to record our time spent on each task while working from home. Now that we're back in the office full time, management doesn't care what we do in our cubes, as long as we're there.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

I have both of those cubicle styles in my office, on the same floor, next to each other, and the type you get is determined solely by how valuable your position is to the company.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Can't your just change the idle time required in teams to like, hours? That's what I do but my multi billion dollar company has pretty questionable security decisions.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Batterypowered7 posted:

We've got that disabled.

It would probably be easier to tape your mouse to a fan or something than all that stuff.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Kuros posted:

The worse are end users who have an issue, but don't tell us about it until they have had the issue for two months and it needs to get fixed now because their work is SUPER BUSINESS CRITICAL!

I'll have you know that I didn't really care for two months because the workaround is easy enough for me, but the others get confused by directions like "copy and paste the folder" so now it is critically important.

This is the life of the end user.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Outrail posted:

Making another team do your teams work is pretty great management.

Yeah this is basically the benchmark of a great manager versus a good one.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

It's okay, in an office environment everyone knows covid respects cubicle boundaries. 5 foot of cubicle walls can't stop popcorn smell but they definitely stop an unforgiving and deadly infectious virus.

For this reason you will only be notified of a covid contact if you were in a meeting room or the same cubicle. If you're in the cubicle across the cube hall (2 feet away), you will not be notified and you will be expected to be at work tomorrow.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Booty Pageant posted:

not my work but i really wonder how many workplaces redundantly take one printed out spreadsheet and put it into excel. repeat everyday to the point it's someone's job

There are entire teams, sometimes departments in accounting dedicated to this.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Verdugo posted:

Because our managers think: if meet metrics on a whole who cares about poor performers? Easier to let them slack and pile work on the good folks instead.

This sounds like a dick move, but their goal is sometimes to get the good performers promoted just before or after they get promoted, escaping all consequences and escaping the awful duty of during someone who had been there a decade or so.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

There are multiple positions only available to internal candidates with black belt certification in this fortune 500 company.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

I have to be very sure to right click modify on a very important process chain.

Modify is right next to delete.

Nobody could give me an answer as to what happens if you accidentally click delete, just "don't".

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Watching the yearly prerecorded department meeting. Presentation key points includes a list of names of every senator and house representative we lobbied this year to kill the tax bill.

Good stuff.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

How many rock related puns do you make in an average workday?

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

tired gay and dead posted:

I think it's only forbidden if you're mining or exploring for uranium or Mercury, but in general nobody really minds if you wanna expose yourself to small amounts of stuff that probably shouldn't be in your body.

Uh, so geologists don't eat rear end??

Between this and your aversion to making puns and or jokes, you're eroding your own reputation at an astounding rate.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

naem posted:

as a white guy in my early middle years I occasionally have to ask older, balder white guys to do something at work and they all uniformly just lose their complete utter poo poo like, I don’t know what, they’re going to murder my whole family for reminding them about the TPS report

Some days my entire email consists of old, bald, white dudes with angry expressions in their profile pic sending 5 word "sentences."

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Lazyfire posted:

You aren't wrong, though. If you don't provide step by step directions to a lot of these people they will just...not do anything.

I have a vendor we owe $200k. I resolved as much as I could by myself, but some of the major stumbling blocks are around things that happened a year before I started this job, so I need other people to provide background and support. Since last Thursday I've taken over two meetings and pulled our Business Development guy aside during a visit to another vendor in order to shame and force people into action because the last couple weeks of just warning this would be a problem got no results. I literally have to put together individual step-by-step guides on what I need from each person or they will act like they've never heard of the thing I'm talking about. They don't want to learn or think, they just want to click a couple buttons and be done with it.

You are about to be promoted to the top and take command, or be very disillusioned and burn out in a few years, and the chances are not equal.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

In my experience in business software, IE will be like asbestos. Everywhere in old projects, difficult to remove, expensive to replace, and functionally identical to all the expensive replacements (unless something goes wrong).

Probably still see it lingering around in ancient systems until the next century at this rate.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Corporate-wide email this morning reminding everyone of the yearly event that being on work property this weekend without prior approval is criminal trespassing, and can and will be charged.

Why? Because you can see an unrelated business's July 4th fireworks from the parking lot.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

blackmet posted:

Today was my first day doing reconciliation reports.

I want to smash things. Thanks for giving me a procedure that hasn't been updated since 2018 (it still makes reference to printing out and initialing things for chrissakes), having everything that you use strewn about in 6 different folders, and giving me approximately 1 hour of training.

I have no idea what I did or if it was done correctly.

In my brief experience doing the same, this appears to be a standard procedure across multiple industries.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

no_tears posted:

I love it! Does this mean you're looking for a new position now? I don't think I'd be able to go back into an office after being WFH for that long.

My work did that and lost around 50-60% of their senior and manager level accountants.

Still can't fill some of those positions 6 months later.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

zedprime posted:

SAP has a saturation so that google can be your documentation for everything....someone has probably had your issue and fixed it in 2008 on the SAP forums and off you go.

This is very not true when dealing with the multitude of add-ons and plugins into SAP though and who uses just the base system??

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

I have a TINY amount of sympathy for this. I mean, I believe you that this person has terminal boomer brain and they're just bad at email and don't get that the bounced message is an indication they hosed up. But in my current position I've got a gigantic hell mailing list for this quarterly clusterfuck I'm responsible for. The frequency of emails is in that awkward spot where it's infrequent enough that people are getting added or leaving between messages all the time, but often enough that you need an actual list.

Of course that list isn't maintained well. I do what I can with constantly adding in people when I'm told that Bob just got hired into the Department Of Widget Integration and needs to be getting these emails, but when Carol from Widget Resources retires it might be a year or more before I find out. This is complicated by the various contractors and other less than permanent staff that sometimes get in on it. Or people who move laterally within the organization and their new responsibilities either do or don't require them to get this email. And it's a gently caress-off huge list, too. Over 100 people at one point, although it's been pruned a bit since then.

Which means that every time I have to send one of these blasts my in-box gets bombarded by a loving cacophony of OOO responses, auto-responses, and inevitably a few "undeliverable" messages in the mix. I do my best to prune those out when I see them, but it's frankly a low priority item for me given my other responsibilities.

I dunno, your person sounds like an idiot but just reading about undeliverable notices kinda triggers me.

The real answer to all this would be to un-gently caress how these semi-quarterly things are sent out, maybe even *gasp* have a special email box just for it so it's not coming from Cyrano@organization.biz and loving up the rest of my inbox, and maybe even do something really radical like just set up a loving internal page to post this information on rather than blasting it out into people's emails. I mean, I know for a fact that most of the people who get this don't actually want it.

But this is how someone authorized it to be done in the mists of time (I no bullshit think I heard the late 90s as an actual origin date once) and changing things would be :effort: so :shrug:

You can fix most of your irritations with an outlook rule to move any automated replies to a different folder and sort undeliverables to a different folder.

It would take less time than this took to write too!

Source: it was my simple and easy fix to this at my last job

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Domus posted:

I got my review today. The boss proudly told me that the range for the department was 0-3 percent, but I was so good they’re going to give me 4. You stupid fucks, you pay me $16/hr. No paperwork gets done without me. I’m the only person in this place who can take a unit all the way from coming in with the driver, checking it in, fixing it, QAing it, billing it, and sending it out the door. I built a customized arduino device to speed up data entry. I know at least one customer has written the big boss saying I was an asset to the company. You literally had my only possible replacement quit without notice two weeks ago. And I’m supposed to be excited that I get a 64 cent an hour raise?! I like this place, I like my coworkers, but you’re giving me at least a dollar fifty or I am walking the hell out that door. Jesus, how out of touch with reality are you?

Consider working as hard as you are paid while looking for a new job

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

I have had a few quick promotions during these mass quittings because many above me quit, which really improves my resume and my paycheck, so cheers to all around!

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Marmaduke! posted:

In this world of global pandemics, my work decided a few of us should go on a training course, which is fine. The way you pay for these is to use the American Express card, then you pay off the credit card yourself, then you claim the money back from the company. So I booked the course and the hotel for one night. I've paid off the costs on the Amex so I'm down £400, but sure whatever, I'll get it back eventually. Fast forward 2 months and I got an Official email telling me off for not submitting my expense report. So I emailed back asking, very reasonably, am I really meant to submit the claim before it's happened? They replied, Yes, You Must. So I did indeed go to do so... and the system won't let me submit the claim as the hotel stay is future dated. Am I seriously the first person in a company with tens of thousands of employees that has broken the entire expenses system by *checks notes* paying for something in advance?

If it's anything like my employer, there is a very real chance the answer will be "yes", "wait until the stay" and "we can't do anything without a receipt", no matter the responses.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Sywert of Thieves posted:

I think this entire thread would kill for the kind of relaxation Peter experiences after his hypnosis.

I feel like that every day after leaving academia for literally anything else, especially pointless computer touching.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

The hardest part of getting out of academia is realizing that 2+ years out means you're effectively locked out of teaching as your certificates and direct contacts lapse unless you go back to school, which is a scary idea if all you've done is teach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

SharePoint is nice if you have a fully staffed and controlling IT department willing to fully implement active directory based sign on and somebody(s) willing to manage accesses and permissions.

Otherwise, enabling one drive or SharePoint sync with windows explorer is a nice way to create really dumb problems for people who don't always connect from the same network.