Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Platystemon posted:

“Basic hygiene” for the flu was understood to be clean hands. It turns out that’s really not a major mode of SARS‐CoV‐2 transmission and there is every reason to suspect that the flu is the same way.

The two effective ways to avoid the flu were getting vaccinated and not hanging out with a bunch of people indoors. All the teachers with the hand sanitiser habit just got lucky. Maybe some will wear masks now, but that was never a thing before because our understanding of “basic hygiene” was woefully inaccurate.

This is false.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

Lol. We've known aerosol transmission is the dominant vector for a long time. That's not the point.

Did you ever consider that those numbers are the result of things like hand washing, etc.?

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Are you drunk?

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

learnincurve posted:

The telegraph argument is rendered dangerous anti-vax bullshit the moment they cited a letter from concerned parents and celebrities as a reason as to why my 17 year old daughter can’t get vaccinated. The daily telegraph and every single person who signed that letter can get loving hosed.

"The Daily Telegraph can't get loving hosed." is a good rule in general.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

PG probably refers to PEG.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyethylene_glycol?wprov=sfla1

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

sharknado slashfic posted:

What's the latest on vaccinated people being able to spread covid? I had a friend over last night that I haven't seen in a year and after about an hour of being here he told me he spent all of memorial day weekend bar hopping at *insert local beach resort town*. We're both fully vaxxed with mrna vaccines so not only would it have to be spreadable by him but it would also have to breakthrough me, but I have to admit that made me feel a little uncomfortable being in a room with him for an hour.

I would not be worried.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

blunt posted:

But also don't use these because they're garbage

https://cen.acs.org/analytical-chem.../99/web/2021/06

Yeah.

Whatever you want to say about the FDA, that's about a strong a statement as you can make.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

There's this bizarre belief in the US that admitting you got sick is a sign of weakness or even some kind of moral flaw so you've got these people who insist on coming to work if they've got a cold or bragging about how they never get sick or bragging about their high pain tolerance etc etc.. I guess it's a byproduct of the whole Rugged Individualism thing they've got going on and never admitting vulnerability is a huge part of some people's personalities, which I guess also explains why certain people were so incredibly angry about being made to wear facemasks.

The anti-vax NFL guy I just posted recently broke his fibula but didn't want to let the team down so he played out the rest of the season, taking meds to deal with the pain. The media described it as "heroic": https://www.buffalobills.com/news/cole-beasley-played-through-a-broken-fibula-to-finish-his-career-season

He's taking the exact same stance against vaccines and he genuinely seems to think that makes him some kind of hero or martyr.

You're complicating things and confusing all of those words with "pathological narcissism, a possible opiate addiction, and an absence of education about contagious disease".

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

LOL the entire nation is built on pathological narcissism ("Shining city upon a hill" LOL okay sure), it's systemic. Pushing the blame onto "individuals who don't know any better" is missing the forest for the trees.

That's not even ose to what I wrote, but you do you.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Rolo posted:

Blood O2 finger thing is bouncing between 96 and 97. Doc says anything above 90 with covid is ok so cool? BPM is under 100 now too. Temp is still hanging around 101.

I can live with this for a week or so. I still feel like garbage but good lord 3pm today was a specifically scary hell. I never want to feel that again.

If that temp goes 104 or greater for more than an hour or two, get to the ER. That's when protein breakdown starts to happen in the "essential services" of your body.

You got this.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

https://twitter.com/thedailybeast/status/1418672288489222148?s=19

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Stink Billyums posted:

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1422699807228022788

dexter actually has a phd in molecular biology so I can see why he'd kick a guy out of the band over it

This is a really lovely headline. He's choosing not to tour with them because he can't get vaxxed for a valid medical reason; he has had Guillain Barre Syndrome since childhood.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

If the US is pushing this story again then the amount of covid cases we are seeing now are prolly just the beginning.

It was probably a lab leak due to being reckless. I was a strong believer that it was during specimen collection (i.e. they were lazy with their PPE going into bat caves), but if they did have a lab move that's a strong vector too.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

If it is a lab leak than most of the western world is at fault for funding it: https://www.yahoo.com/now/fauci-praises-wuhan-scientists-defends-230400791.html

It’s also not like the US has had a great track record with lab leaks (actually right before the time covid started)

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/05/health/germs-fort-detrick-biohazard.html

Our funding was to stop them from being reckless and we yanked it because of those issues.

We've also had a lot of lab leaks, but none that did this poo poo.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Fate Accomplice posted:

TIL Greg Abbott's used a wheelchair since 1986 and has been paid $9M since then as part of a lawsuit against the homeowner and tree care company after a tree fell on him while he was jogging at age 26.

$5000/month since 1986 increasing at 4%/year, plus lump sums every 3 years.

all tax free too

You missed the best part.
https://www.texastribune.org/2013/08/04/candidate-faces-questions-turnabout-and-fair-play/

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

I guess it's also why you boil and/or peel potatoes before eating them.

(Did you know potatoes grow IN DIRT!!`?!!! They put fertilizer on them, which is made FROM ANIMAL poo poo!!!!!)

I mean, if you were complaining about apples, you would have a point.

The issue with potatos isn't fecal matter.

It's a toxin, solanine, that can grow on raw potatos. In general, if you see a green part cut it off.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

goddamnedtwisto posted:

All currently available PCR tests can detect Omicron, it's just some can't differentiate between it and other variants.

At this point in time, S gene dropout is going to be indicative of Omicron 99.999% of the time.

The other variants that displayed that behavior were overwhelmingly crowded out by Delta.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

A Stupid Baby posted:

My sort-of-supervisor/work friend I've worked with every day for over 6 years at this point has had Covid twice, first time with pretty mild symptoms and the second time she's been in and out of the hospital before being admitted last week, pretty quickly put on a vent with kidney failure and bloodclots in the lungs. Just got a call today that they tried to take her off sedation to check on her and they think she's braindead now. Only a handful of people at work are acting differently at all. Like 2 people total out of I dunno 60 put on masks that they poke their noses out of. I just don't get it, I figured once it started hitting closer to home people would wake the gently caress up and take it seriously.

She was/is 37. No health problems to speak of. What a waste of someone's life, hope Joe Rogan and the rest of the brain pill pushers are happy with their 30 pieces of silver.

Just walked out of my job because no one will wear a mask.

We're a clinical testing lab.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

I was about to say you should leave that job, if there's nothing else keeping you there. Sorry to hear that.

gently caress sakes. Glad you got out of that toxic environment.

I can't afford to not go back tomorrow. Still have 8 months on my lease. Strongly considering an email containing multiple uses of the words"negligence" and "liability".

edit: I'm going to move my cubicle to an empty section of the building and isolate myself.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Kirk Vikernes posted:

If you're in the states, their reply will probably contain multiple uses of "lol" and "pack your poo poo".

And my reply will be the litany of CAP/CLIA violations that they've hidden over the past 2 years.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

Is there an HR department that you can reach out to? Like a phone number or something? Or a union? It's lovely that you have to deal with this on your own.

Lol.

HR is designed to protect them from liability. The
second anyone suggests that you should go through HR is the moment you should be calling anyone you know who is a lawyer.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

This is a massive ongoing issue in hospitals across the US right now as they're handing fistfuls of cash to traveling nurses to fill positions but not paying any extra to the current staff and in some cases canceling bonuses and punishing people who take time off, so of course the staff are all going "You're treating me like poo poo and paying them double, why the gently caress am I still here????"

E: the HR dept in some hospitals has resorted to "non monetary" forms of encouragement like this poo poo which has NOT gone over well

Providing your disaffected work force with ammunition during a plague and a period of unprecedented corruption by the 1% seems like a poor choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Ghostlight posted:

it's a good video

It's as if God decided to mix spandex and cocaine in the perfect ratio.