Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
I got poo poo to say about this. I avoid Covid talk with my family because the situation for them (in the US) is complex and ... for lack of a better term, "consumery". Like, the vaccine is basically first come first served there, so they talk to me like it is here. In the UK where I live, as already explained in this thread, there is no action I can take really to get a vaccine quicker. I'm not old enough to get it yet. People get contacted by their doctors or whatever? I don't even know, but at the very least I don't just call the right phone number for people in the know and get an appointment before some oldie who's more vulnerable. They seriously don't get it and ask me all the time when I'm going to get a vaccine. The NHS has gone about this the right way and that means that I'll get it when I get it. They're just so used to the "smarter" or richer people getting what they want first they can't imagine a system that actually phased eligibility in a scientifically and humanistically justified way.

Second, has anyone seen any actual press about people for whom the vaccine doesn't work? I have an immunocompromised mother who got both shots and tested negative for antibodies. Obviously those antibody tests aren't great, but that's put a pretty big damper on her chances of ever feeling like she can normalize her life. I just want people to know that the vaccine is part of making a world safe enough for people like her for whom it may have had little benefit.

Thirdly, has anybody been reading up on Cuban vaccine efforts? With the whole straight up evil situation with American companies clinging to vaccine patents that have already paid for themselves, and even the 97% publically funded AZ vaccine seeming to be totally privatized money-wise, I think India and much of the non-rich world might end up depending on one of these:
https://blogs.lse.ac.uk/latamcaribbean/2021/03/31/cubas-five-covid-19-vaccines-the-full-story-on-soberana-01-02-plus-abdala-and-mambisa/
Remember in like 2017-2018 when stories came out that Cuba had developed a vaccine for lung cancer? They've used their expertise in that particular vaccine format to create a unique "conjugate" Covid one that uses the same tetanus toxoid to increase immune response. They're also collaborating with China (as in, they provide the expertise, China provides "resources") on a "pan-covid" vaccine targeting bits of the virus' genetic material that are most stable and least likely to mutate. Meaning a vaccine that can target all variants.

I am not a scientist so don't understand the details but this all sounds cool. I don't know how Cuba would plan to distribute it but they're already Phase III trialing it in Iran, Venezuela, Pakistan and so on. I expect they'd want to make some money off it given they are an extremely poor country shut out of their biggest export market, but it might be a ray of hope for freedom-of-vaccine hopes to slow down the hellish stuff happening in India if the trails are successful. I doubt they'd, like Pfizer, demand countries offer up sovereign assets like military bases for collateral against potential vaccine lawsuit damages or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Zugzwang posted:

B.1.617 (the "Indian variant") has been detected in my area, and indoor activities are in full swing again. Restaurants are practically overflowing with people.

There's a high rate of vaccination and mask usage otherwise, but still...this will be interesting.

I've read that variant isn't as contagious as Kent, is this one a particular worry for some reason?

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

QuarkJets posted:

I've seen that claim but I haven't actually seen it quantified anywhere. So it's unclear whether it's even true

I am pretty sure it is extremely true, the most impressive thing I remember reading from the mass participation phase III trials was that nobody died who got covid during them. Can't remember which vaccine specifically I saw that data about because i believe pfizer and moderna and astrazeneca had similar results.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
now that i think of it it might've been a follow up study after trials - some 30000 of the earliest vaccinated in israel i think? CORRECTION: it was 600,000 (half vaccinated and half not) here someone who's good at reading studies check this out
https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2101765

see the N/As in Table 2 under Results? that's 0 deaths if i'm reading it right and the severity is reduced a lot as well

i mean here's one on sinovac which is only 50% effective in preventing infection but still eliminated or nearly eliminated serious illness in those infected
https://www.reuters.com/business/he...ath-2021-02-06/

Deep Glove Bruno fucked around with this message at 09:20 on May 9, 2021

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
Can any fellow Britischer swine tell me why I got offered a vaccine appointment this week in London? I am not 40+, and I have no risk factors I am aware of... got me worried my GP knows something I don't

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

learnincurve posted:

There are Wild Theories that the NHS system is now taking into account second shot availability and the likelihood of AZ being turned down by women but not men.

but the initial text i got said Pfizer on it

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Rozzbot posted:

The NHS are giving priority to people in the community they have identified with tiny dicks

nooooo i'm voting to privatise next time

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Galewolf posted:

I self-treated myself a massive box of Lebanese on 30% off on Uber Eats after my second AZ.

"Note: This kebab box serves 2"

We'll see about that babes :smuggo:

that "halal snack box" that is just a pound of chips and a pound of kebab meat drizzled with hydrogenated goo hell yeah

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

sweet thursday posted:

Fully vaccinated persons are allowed to have naked heterosexual tickle fights with up to 3 friends

Ugh you're saying I gotta wait like 13 weeks till I can get together with my straight buds, just a bunch of hetero guys hanging out, being straight and nude tickling each other while not even looking to see if each other is aroused because it's not even a sex thing it's just the boys hanging out?

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
Brett Pain on street fight radio was saying "women, if you're married to some guy who is not gonna get the vaccine... just divorce them". I dunno if I'm there yet but ostracization is real.
I do wonder if I'd have the will power to reduce and finally cut contact with older antivax relatives like parents etc. I'd like to think I would. As a bonus if enough people do, the estranged parents thread will be hot again.

"My no-count son and daughter in law won't let me see my grandkids just because I'm not 5G vaccinated and I go to fast casual restaurants and linger inside for hours to make a point to the staff and I constantly open mouth cough on anything and everything around me. Is there some way I can sue them?"

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
solution: arm customer facing workers with dart injector guns

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Space Camp fuckup posted:

I’m not sure Brett Pain is the guy to listen to when it comes to marriage advice

admittedly he was kind of couching it in an extremely recently divorced guy crusade of like... "everybody should get divorced it's the best"

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
on reflection we the Yankees should've probably suspended our 120-year tradition of blowing our noses into each other's mouths for fun before each training session but we are determined to move forward and not look back and relitigate what we could've done differently

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Big Bizness posted:

I've gone 25 days after Pfzier shot 2 without any alcohol, Tylenol, weed, or any chemicals other then my inhaler, caffeine and creatine to maximize my immune response. Can I safely get trashed now??

i'm afraid you can only safely do horse and then only by slamming it because you don't want to risk mixing it with tobacco

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

learnincurve posted:

The don’t take painkillers because your body reacting is how you become immune thing makes absolutely no sense when other people, who don’t get any reactions at all, are told reactions are not an indicator on how immune you are.

In conclusion I’m chugging codeine again after my second shot if I feel as terrible as I did after the first,

Glad i never heard of that poo poo until now when i've already been taking painkillers since my shot. it would just panic me. The info sheet from pfizer they gave us suggested that we do so!

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

xcheopis posted:

Thanks for the article!
I have rheumatoid arthritis, so I'm not so bad off as transplant patients. It must be terrifying for them.

can confirm. I have a transplant patient parent who has two negative tests for antibodies after vaccination and now i guess will never live normally again? i don't know.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Saros posted:

They've known since at least 5th May what a bad idea reopening on the current schedule is if the Indian variant is even a bit more transmissible.

The guardian has a decent summary of it and you can read the scenarios yourself in the SAGE minutes from 5th May.

https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/sage-meetings-may-2021

But of course bojo is gonna reopen too early before having to lock down again in middle/late summer because hospitalisations are matching levels from the first wave.

it seems clear from the projections that the only decision that will have any effect on another maximum wave is postponing this monday's reopening phase, not june's. but they aren't considering doing that and we will definitely have another terrible spike. am i misreading this?
i get frustrated when people act like this is negligence or mistakes from the government. this has happened three times now. they are doing it consciously. the reopening rollout dates were always subject to change if new variants arose. they aren't changing it, just like they blew it twice in the fall and just like they locked down three weeks too late a year ago. at this stage it is active malice, not incompetence.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
I dunno about the rest of you but in the interest of safety I will be dressing like meco eno and uli nomi from the moog cookbook forever more. even in bed. ESPECIALLY in bed

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

quote:

HipHopDX: So in a few generations we're just gonna be an ugly, ugly race?

Kool Keith: Oh man, we're gonna have loving gorillas on earth. We're gonna have dinosaurs walking around. That's how loving deep I am. gently caress rap. Humans gonna turn into dinosaurs. Ugly people gonna breed with ugly people and jealousy and hate and you're gonna see a lot of ugly motherfuckers walking around mad, evil, ready to try to hurt you. That's why I gotta be on defense. I gotta walk around with my fuckin' biochemical suit on.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Platystemon posted:

Whispering probably is legitimately safer than talking at normal volume, but I really don’t see that as a winning public health message.

We should try to push that choirs are just about the worst activity possible in a respiratory pandemic. Woodwind instruments might be worse. That’s about it.

white dread drum circles in outdoor plazas are a GO then

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Bape Culture posted:

It’s quite interesting that the UK numbers are still trending down but the India variant coming right up. Like it’s only getting people that would get covid if that makes sense, rather than getting just anyone. That’s quite uncommon for virus’ isn’t it?

What numbers? For the past week+ the C-19 symptom tracking app (so not government numbers but a higher estimate based on an algorithm) has shown my borough growing - generally double the number a week previous. Currently estimates cases at "287, up by 144 from last week".

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
In 2020 I think I laughed hardest at the video of boris johnson farting out that he was shaking hands with everybody he saw in all the covid wards he was visiting (!?) and the techno music faded up and BAM the beat drops and it's the dancing pallbearers of Ghana. I'd search it out but it'd kinda be painful to revisit now.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Detheros posted:

Mask mandates are banned in Iowa, thanks Kim!

:suicide:

can't conscientious business owners just refuse service without giving a reason? hell, can't they even say it's cause their maskless customer is gay?

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Weasling Weasel posted:

So, it you don't follow UK politics, you may not know, but Boris Johnsons former adviser is currently in burn it all down mode. Its in the press that he is due to release a few revelations today, including that Boris Johnsons early ideas during the 'herd immunity' stage, was to get our Chief medical officer to inject him with Covid-19 directly into his veins on live tv.

This would be a few weeks before the fat gently caress would be hours from dying from it.

holy poo poo that is so cool... the trillbillies have a name for that: "the devil's milkshake". like when john hickenlooper drank fracking water or obama drank flint lead tap water. johnson would've been the first devil's artery slam

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
since this thread is full of detailed vaccine side effect nightmares i'll just chime in and say I and everyone i know who got the vaccine (pfizer and az) did not have side effects worth mentioning. maybe a sore arm

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Harveygod posted:

My wife also just had a sore arm. I felt flu-ish for like a half-day but that's it. It was minor enough that I could still mow the lawn.

Today we're both 2-weeks post-2 shots, so that's something to be happy about. :gbsmith:

the arm in that picture is CAUSING the soreness

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Akuma posted:

How many countries are doing the 2-3 months between doses versus 2-3 weeks? I got my first Pfizer in May in the UK and my second is at the start of August.

As I understand it that actually makes it work better? But it's a lot of waiting around which is horrible.

canada and aus i think?

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

monkeytennis posted:

It honestly blows my mind that the same government who are making a complete pigs ear of international travel and can’t seem to make a decision to save their lives are also in charge of the vaccination programme which I think is bloody amazing.
My understanding is that they kind of aren't in charge of the vaccination programme. Unless "taking a back seat to a nationwide organisation full of expertise and data because you know you'd just get peanut butter on the lens of the slide projector and accidentally invade wales or something if you DID try to take charge of this" counts as taking charge.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
yes not a lot of healthy talk going on at the moment.

i think putting anything on individual behavior is fruitless and serves only as a way to make yourself mad and separate yourself from others in your mind. if you will only accept total elimination of the virus - I think it could be possible - you need to focus on government decision making. there will always be hoaxers, people who don't understand that air comes out of their nose as well as their mouth, anti mask convenience martyrs, and just people who cannot mentally live in a state of constant alarm for years on end. If you disagree with those views you waste your energy confronting them because those people do not determine whether covid becomes endemic. this is a political issue. anti maskers will exist whether or not mask mandates exist - but mask mandates will get more people wearing them. anti vax people likewise. the use of political power to guide society through this safely is what is letting you down.

we love to individualize problems and treat them like playstation vs xbox because individual argument is easy, but it's clear from this thread that it isn't mentally healthy for a lot of people

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Pistol_Pete posted:

Here's some happier UK news:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jun/09/link-between-covid-cases-and-deaths-has-been-broken-says-senior-nhs-boss

This bears out what people were expecting/ hoping to see from the roll-out of the vaccination programme: with all older or medically vulnerable people now double-vaccinated, Covid hospitalisations and deaths among these groups have collapsed, with the remaining hospitalisations being overwhelmingly of younger people, who are much less likely to get sick enough to need ventilators.

This isn't as well considered as it sounds when you consider what age range people get pregnant in and look at what covid does to pregnant women and their fetuses. It basically makes them a vulnerable population and even minor poo poo like a sustained fever can give the child permanent brain damage and delayed development. I don't think it's okay letting young people be the guinea pigs for unrestrained spread and new variants when so much is still coming out about long covid, new symptoms, and so on. Not to mention what everyone has been saying about the likelihood of stronger and stronger variants.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

vyst posted:

This is anecdotal research but back when people were into this question I read that the mom can't transmit covid to the baby and if the mom survives the baby seems to be getting antibodies as well. So assuming the mom survives, it sounds like at least the baby doesn't have to suffer for her stupidity

while it's too early for covid specific studies of this, mothers who get sustained fevers during pregancy especially the first trimester have a way higher chance of a developmentally delayed or brain damaged child and it's likely true of covid too.

pregnant women are also more prone to hospitalization with covid and with needing a ventilator.

during the third trimester covid can induce early labor which also can gently caress a kid right up.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Pistol_Pete posted:

Yeah, this is the way I see things going for the UK. More than half the adult population is now fully vaccinated (and it's the older and more vulnerable half), with three quarters having had at least 1 shot and we'll have the entire country covered by August or so. Sure, cases are rising right now but with the pool of susceptible people shrinking with each day that passes, there's only so far cases can rise before they hit a wall.

So here in the UK, we're very close to being able to copy Israel and basically end all internal restrictions. What we're NOT going to be able to end (I suspect for years to come) are the severe restrictions that we have on international travel. With most of the world unvaccinated, we're not going to want tourists coming home with nasty new variants and that means it's likely to be years before the easy pre-Covid international flying returns.

Your post all makes sense except "we'll have everyone covered by august or so" - my partner is not super young and still won't get a second shot till mid august. I would expect most under 35s not to be fully vaccinated for another month or two at least after that. I got lucky and got my first shot with the 40+ year olds, i guess by mistake, and still won't be two weeks out from my second shot till mid august.

I don't know but I also imagine lower uptake generally once you're into the "dumbass ages".

We live in an area of london that is way behind the country in vaccination simply by virtue of being demographically young so these distinctions are going to matter for us in the months to come.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

A Fancy Hat posted:

It's terrifying to think that a random set of circumstances could create a similar pandemic, I think that's why so many people want the lab leak to be true. Then you can say "Ohhh it's China's fault, that won't happen again, let's hold them accountable for it!"

Same reason you get so many conspiracies around JFK's assassination and whatnot. One random guy with a gun can kill the President. That's terrifying. But if it's a huge interconnected conspiracy theory involving the mob and the Vice President and stuff? Well, that's so complex, there's a reason behind it!

Plus it absolves leader's of their piss-poor leadership during the pandemic. 600,000 Americans are dead and I think you could conservatively say at least half of them are dead directly from Trump's press conferences and politicizing of masks, plus how many more from decisions made at state and local levels? But you suddenly turn this into a bio-weapon? Well, you're not the bad guy any more. China is!

I mean your wider point, sure, but JFK is a real loving bad example to illustrate it

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Jeza posted:

Genuine question, not doing a bit, is it not something of a monumental coincidence that COVID first cropped up in the vicinity of a lab that literally was working on engineering coronavirus variants that could infect humans? I get that there's a chicken and egg thing here, what with it being located not far from nice quantities of bats, but even still. Hell of an incidental detail from a layman's POV.

I wouldn't buy for a second it was intentional, but lab leaks happen not infrequently. Is there some meta-knowledge or masterstroke detail that basically explains that away?

I guess the problem with the "accidental lab leak" theory, which iunno sounds plausible enough if you remove it from insanely dumb political implications if it were provably true, is that if that became the mainstream narrative, there'd be a much bigger proportion of people jumping into the "plandemic, population control, bioweapon, war with china, sparkles on your pores, boot camp, what planet are those booty shorts from, that giraffe has a nice rear end, and other kool keith lyrics" side of things, so it's kind of problematic to even publicly explore.

I think that regardless of if the lab hosed up and spread a new virus, their risky-rear end research (amplifying novel coronaviruses to try to figure out what to do about them if they got out) did NOT loving HELP AT ALL with the exact situation they justified their research with. They were supposed to know what to do about this poo poo they were studying, handle it better and such. The fact that Fauci and that other guy with the Stroszek-sounding name were directly involved with funding that lab and that research has sorta meant that some very prominent voices were able to immediately clamp down on such talk as the "kool keith lyrics" type insanity. So maybe the "just asking questions" brigade will forever have questions to ask. But at the very least a discussion needs to be had about whether it's a good idea to run that kind of research at all given the risks and now-clear lack of rewards.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

pretty sure a lab studying virus genetics didn't help china with its lockdown policy, and sinovax is the three legged dog of the covid vaccines

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

PIZZA.BAT posted:

at the end of the day you have to place your trust in someone or something. so you can either trust the global network of epidemiologists who've studied this their entire lives who all saw nothing suspicious at all for months or a guy with a blog who isn't even a biologist who wrote a 'race realism' book by misinterpreting a bunch of smarter scientists' work

a very fair point. what do I know and what difference does it make in the end. I don't want somebody agitating for geopolitical consequences beyond what's already happened based on this anyway

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

learnincurve posted:

UK data shows 2% of people who have been in for hospital treatment are fully vaccinated and they are getting ready to release data which breaks the hospital statistics down by age and if they immunocompromised or not.

Where's this number from? Is it that same set of data that said that 33% of hospitalized cases were people who'd had one vaccine dose?

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Dunno if that's a skeptical LOL or not but Cuba does one thing very well: literacy and public health. Two things. Literacy, public health and cucurucho de coco. Three thi...Well there's probably more. But Cuba's vaccine efforts are worth a read about at any rate. When you are embargoed by the world's most powerful state 80 miles from your border, you have to learn to do this kind of thing yourself I guess.

They have five different vaccines in development, all using a novel pipeline technique they pioneered two or three years ago with their lung cancer vaccine - remember that? The one that has a bunch of dying Americans flying via Mexico to obtain in Cuba? Two of the five are intranasal, needle-free vaccines. Abdala is one of two that are wrapping up Phase III trials.

They're also developing a "Pan-corona" vaccine aimed particularly at novel variants by targeting parts of the virus that are least prone to variation.

https://blogs.lse.ac.uk/latamcaribbean/2021/03/31/cubas-five-covid-19-vaccines-the-full-story-on-soberana-01-02-plus-abdala-and-mambisa/ This is just a blog but summarizes and has some links for more.

Basically, Cuba bet big on biotech in the early 80s and make the most of a very limited economic situation in order to shame the gently caress out of the rest of us medically.

Deep Glove Bruno fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jun 22, 2021

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Spazzle posted:

I'm lolling over 4 digits of precision.

a very specific LOL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Dren posted:

For any one patient who might go to the hospital and die the timeline is something like day 0 get infected, day 5-14 show symptoms and get tested, day 28-42 go to the hospital, day 49-63 die. So when looking at an infection wave that is only 5 days into spiking, it is too early to say from the data whether a hospital spike has followed the infection spike since one wouldn’t be expected to show up until 9 days later.

what are you talking about five days? it's been going up since like mid april