Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

empty whippet box posted:

I hear 95% of people in the UK have antibodies!

I love how this talking point has been coming up since like goddamn June of last year and it keeps coming back no matter how many loving time it gets annihilated.

An infectious disease not just going to rip through every unvaccinated person in a country in a month and leave the entire population with antibodies. It's not going to happen. If a study is telling you that this is the case, then you really need to look at that study for evidence of data bias.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Gio posted:

yeah i dont buy that lol

I mean, there's nothing wrong with the data, it just doesn't really lead to any actionable conclusions. The bottom line is that you can still catch it, still transmit it to other people, and still potentially get pretty sick. The data does not in any way suggest that you should go take a dive into a pool full of COVID, which is what pretty much everyone is doing right now.

People on Twitter keep posting these takes because their mind is locked into the idea that they're fighting a war against anti-vaxxers when anti-vaxxers would only really be a problem if we actually gave enough of a poo poo about this virus to actually try to stop the spread. We don't, so true herd immunity is a pipe dream anyway.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Like we're so stupid as a society that anti-vax sentiment is only moderately more disconcerting than the behavior of people who are actually vaccinated, and it's way less worrying than our government's complete unwillingness to do anything at all.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

deathbysnusnu posted:

Beyond that even if we did get herd immunity that’s in an abstract concept over a geographic distribution the virus gives no shits about. At some point we’re gonna get our assholes turned inside out by a variant delta contagious with an immune escape mechanism from the other 8 billion people on earth.

Yeah. One of the many amusing things about our current situation is our obsession with vaccination numbers while simultaneously withholding effective vaccines from the rest of the world and leaving our borders wide open. A very big brain strategy.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

etalian posted:

Which was made on assumptions based on previous variants not the newer Delta variant which seems to have a higher breakthrough incidence.

It doesn't even matter. Delta (or something like it) was a perfectly predictable outcome.

I know you're not trying to let them off the hook or anything, I just hate this framing because the implication is that the Biden administration/CDC messaging was completely fine until UNFORESEEABLE CIRCUMSTANCES WOE IS US. The problem isn't that we're working with an outdated strategy, it's that we're suffering the consequences of our actions.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

PostNouveau posted:

Emily Oster should be in jail. The ivermectin people too.

It's funny how you can make a list of probably a few hundred people and straight-up pin the vast majority of US COVID outbreaks on them.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Zokari posted:

i wonder if there is some hypothetical number that would cause them to actually do something

No

They already learned that Doing Something hurts (them) a lot more than Doing Nothing. No one ever needs to do anything again.

It's unclear to me how this will play with how hospital systems literally teetering on the edge of collapse, but I doubt that'll matter much. I'm guessing we just get to learn to live with an even less functional US healthcare system from here on out?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Thoguh posted:

Iowa State Fair ends today which means that most schools start tomorrow and the Iowa department of health is instructing school districts to treat COVID like a common and unremarkable illness and not do things like quarantines or contact tracing. Schools can go harder against head lice.

this is insane right

my brain is so broken that I don't even know anymore but, like, this is totally insane right

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

VomitOnLino posted:

I’m with Crackle Ping, but I gotta say the Y axis ending at 80% made me chuckle.
But FFS, stop screwing with the axes of charts to get your point across.

Truncating the Y-axis to highlight a significant change is completely legit. There are lots of data sets where it'd be effectively impossible to see very significant deviations if you put the Y-axis at zero, and that's actually a super common tactic with climate change deniers.

Going to 80% was definitely a choice here but it's not automatically deceptive to start somewhere other than zero

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Santa Clara county officially announcing covid is never over

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

mdemone posted:

I feel like I can breathe again, I've been so worried about my kids but this gives them a first dose, two full weeks before they start school.

Did I miss something? I thought this was just full approval for 16+

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

fosborb posted:

off label use, potentially

Good Citizen posted:

yeah basically being fully approved by the fda allows for off label use (such as for kids under 12) if you can find the right doc

ah, got it

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Zokari posted:

some regions are experiencing their worst covid waves yet

is there any rationale for these people to think that it wont just keep being like that year after year

No, but even a lot of people in this thread are vulnerable to this kind of thinking. There's this idea that it's going to infect everyone in one glorious wave and then it's over, but it won't and that's basically indistinguishable from the natural herd immunity argument.

There haven't really been any diseases ever that just ravage every single vulnerable person and then stop. It doesn't matter how globally connected our society is, there's always going to be something that blunts an outbreak. Then we go back to things being quiet for a few weeks or a month or whatever, and then it all picks up again when an infected person exposes a ton of people or the right set of people. Every wave has stopped well short of infecting literally everyone, every study that shows mass antibody prevalence has huge issues, and we're basically locking ourselves into a future where we experience localized hospital failures on an annual basis.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Tzen posted:

lol local Costco sold out of toilet paper. it's happening again

I've been seeing a bunch of articles about this lately, so it's probably a self-reinforcing thing (again).

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

love seeing these people consistently dehumanizing the concept of mask wearing because it means at some point I'll probably get shot by a chud for wearing one and then this can all be over

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Schnorkles posted:

*chuckles*

I'm in danger

I enjoyed feeling relatively safe for like a week before the CDC burned all the masks.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

cr0y posted:

Jesus Christ no one in this thread needs to lose their poo poo, get you and all your loved ones the booster and hunker down. You'll live.

It was never possible for most people to really hunker down and it's even less possible now. I'm back to being incredibly worried about my mom and my partner's parents because none of them have the option to just hide out at home this time around, and no help is coming.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

SchrodingersCat posted:

The only relief anyone will get is the sweet relief of death.

:hmmyes:

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Schnorkles posted:

CNN will spend the next few days talking about the biggest disaster ever is the forever ending as climate change assists in the murder of thousands of souls.

jfc what a country

We're in the total systemic collapse phase now. Disasters just coming too fast and hard at this point, and there's no slack anywhere to absorb them.

If you're lucky enough to live in a pretty resilient part of the country you get to ignore it for a while longer. If not, welp.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

triple sulk posted:

love when covid is over

covid never even existed which is a real relief phew

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Iverron posted:

we are getting really close to chuds shooting up a hospital aren’t we

People are just going to keep getting progressively more insane because a pandemic isn't the kind of thing you can just pretend doesn't exist. It's happening with libs, too, they're just breaking down in different ways as they realize that nothing is really "normal" no matter how hard they try.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

RedQueen posted:

-Another guy walks in to get first dose because a vaccine mandate somewhere here is affecting him, asks if he can get both doses today so he is allowed back. They say no. It's Moderna day so he has to wait a month. Says he never gets sick after the shot but is chill

All the people I know who say they "never get sick" actually get sick all the goddamn time and just pretend it isn't happening. The last square job I worked in the long ago distant past was at a school, and there was a dude in that office who insisted he never got sick even though he'd be sneezing and coughing at his desk all the loving time.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

empty whippet box posted:

if the news doesn't talk about 2000+ people dying per day then people just won't really notice tbh

yeah, basically

we could easily do 4-5k dead per day (at least for a while) without having bodies in the street, and that's pretty much what it would take for anyone to notice

nobody gives a poo poo or even notices when a new truck shows up at their nearest hospital

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Shiroc posted:

I keep trying to communicate to people how hosed up I am from my likely previous covid but they don't care. Even when I was directly dealing with it, it was the most sick I have ever felt and absolutely loving miserable. The lies about how vaccinated people won't get it and if they do it will just be a cold is a soothing reality that absolutely will not be abandoned until every single person gets it themselves because even seeing people near them getting sick is just considered the limited exception that you can't worry about.

This is why I think at least some portion of COVID survivors are definitely experiencing a form of PTSD. I know a dude who died last year from COVID and I've only recently talked to his wife about it. She kept saying that the thing she can't get over is how nobody cared. They were young and healthy, so everyone they talked to acted like they had a cold and offered to bring them things, but nobody really acknowledged that they couldn't get out of bed for a week and a half and were terrified the whole time.

Having a deadly disease that everyone pretends is no big deal because acting otherwise is inconvenient is the kind of thing that can really gently caress you up.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Is that sustainable in the UK? I believe it's something to the tune of 700k babies born each year in the UK, judging by my quick googling, but I'm terrible at math and statistics, so I have no idea how uch that number drops when you have 50k less people around to gently caress and make kids.
Like even assuming there are methods to get things down to 50k a year - and I don't know that there are because it seems to me that the only means of getting things more under control than 'not at all' are the same means by which you get to Covid Zero and which the West has rejected - would that not lead to population collapse in a decade or two? Especially since even though only 50k ar edying, a good chunk of the survivors are going to be too brain damaged or erectile dysfunction'd to gently caress.

FYI none of this is actually sustainable. Even if you ignore the population impacts, there really isn't any western society that's equipped to deal with just another endemic and deadly illness like the flu. It's just not realistic. It'll put absolutely everything under constant strain, even if only old people are in mortal danger and young people just get really sick.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

What the gently caress? When was contact tracing a "pillar" of our pandemic response? Contact tracing utterly failed in the US after maybe a month.

This is a loving lie:

quote:

Since the pandemic began, states have been relying on the practice of contact tracing to track down, notify and monitor those who were exposed to someone who tested positive for the coronavirus.

It is just a straight-up, bald-faced loving lie that this was ever happening at anything approaching a reasonable scale in the US. What the goddamn gently caress.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Melbourne is officially abandoning covid zero and adopting the "vaccines cure everything" approach, easing restrictions as we get to 70% one dose in approximately a month.

Rip to me as an immunocompromised essential worker with asthma and high blood pressure.

Victoria records 120 COVID cases and two deaths as details of lockdown extension announced
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-09-01/victoria-covid-cases-lockdown-melbourne-restrictions/100423686

Sydney already abandoned covid zero and is continuing to get about 1,100 cases per day.

The best part of the last six months has been the slow, dawning realization that every government in the world (except maybe China) is secretly incredibly jealous of the suicidal Open Biden US strategy. They're all just slowly testing the waters as to whether their populations are stupid enough to go along with it.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Stereotype posted:

haha poo poo is worse than ever and all our demented president can do is horsley say open er up while every teacher in the nation dies and half the nation poisons themselves and their children with toxic paste for deworming horses.

COVID has divided America so much loving harder than Trump ever did and it's hilarious. We're not even broken down along political lines anymore. Brunch liberals are literally tearing each other apart over poo poo like whether kids should be wearing masks in schools, while the "real" anti-maskers (naturally no liberal could ever be an anti-masker because they FOLLOW THE SCIENCE) just stand in the background screaming incoherently and smearing themselves with horse paste.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Stereotype posted:

So December 15th might be wishful thinking for when we realized what was happening. We've been recommending respirators since January 24th though lol we figured it out real quick.

Doomer brain is incredibly good at keeping you from getting dead, even if it's lovely in lots of other ways.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

I don't feel like loving listening to this person speak anymore. Does she specifically call out parents of children under 12? Because if not, this "guidance" is beyond worthless.

I mean I know the answer, but gently caress.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

BIG HORNY COW posted:

My girlfriend and I have been talking about this a lot lately. "Are we crazy? It seems like nobody in public is taking any of this poo poo even the slightest bit seriously"

Drove through Newburyport MA yesterday and sidewalks were full of maskless people, restaurants were packed, stopped at a red light and could see in a hair salon full of people getting hair done, not a mask in sight. Rich people all seem to feel invulnerable to this poo poo, maybe as a consequence of never actually having consequences for anything they've ever done.

I'm glad other people are feeling (and I hate using this word) gaslit by everyone else's behavior.

Gaslighting is very literally the correct term in this case. It's been the primary strategy since Trump and Biden's administration has kicked it into overdrive. The whole point is to make you feel like you're crazy for caring about overflowing hospitals and dead people.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Schnorkles posted:

Political, financial, whatever actors do not need to be engaged in a conspiracy to coordinate behavior in a way that benefits all of them.

Likewise, sometimes incredibly stupid and shortsighted decisions from those in power are just incredibly stupid and shortsighted decisions with no deeper, meaningful goals.

It's idiots all the way up. We're essentially being sacrificed due to a combination of greed and stupidity, with a lot of emphasis on the latter.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Testvan posted:

lmao CNN

what an improbable and unexpected turn of events

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

synapse posted:

https://twitter.com/MartinKulldorff/status/1430660291579105284
good news for those of us who were interested in getting covid to protect ourselves against getting covid

my favorite part of my unnatural vaccine protection strategy is the part where I never have covid

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Lacrosse posted:

lol $20/hr? You could pay me $40/hr and I still wouldn't take that job.

yeah, school bus drivers around here were making ~$20/hr five years ago, that's a crazy "incentive"

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

So honest question, is there some technical definition of "endemic" that I'm not aware of?

Because if you have a disease that's endemic to the whole world and in a state of constant outbreaks how is that not actually just a pandemic

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Stereotype posted:

endemic is being used in an entirely new way right now

That's what I was trying to figure out

Because it's not like it's new to say that a disease is endemic to a certain area. That's the whole reason you need vaccines when you travel. The idea that "endemic" just means that it's everywhere all the time and so prevalent that you're nearly guaranteed to catch it by stepping outside is uh

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Blackhawk posted:

Lmao, drat do you think the Covid is going to be by far the biggest deal of our lifetimes? (No, because that will be climate change)

Nah, because nobody really cares about death as it turns out. Wild fires, floods, hurricanes, and general climate-induced weather poo poo will be a much bigger deal because they aren't ignorable and they're going to directly affect people's lives beyond just killing their neighbors or parents.

I already know people who have been complaining almost non-stop that high temperatures, humidity, and rain just completely ruined summer for them this year. Like more whining than I heard all year last year. People are gonna start crack pinging hard as summer goes from the "fun" season to the "death" season in lots of areas.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Like oops your kids have off, but you're stuck in the house with them because it's a bazillion degrees, all the water has no-swim warnings because of flood contamination, and the air is filled with smoke from wildfires on the other side of the country. Better luck next year!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Atrocious Joe posted:

I think people overly focusing on the Lib response of blaming the moral failings of anti-vaxxers, miss how conservatives are blaming the moral failings of the sick. When people say "my immune system can handle it," they're implying something is wrong and hosed up in all the people who do get sick and die.

Remember that "I'm better than you and my life is entirely under my control" are core parts of their belief system. It's true of conservatives and it's true of meritocracy-minded liberals.