Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

derra posted:

Uh…. crystals I’ll grant you, but Garula? Liquid Flame? Hardest overall would be W2 Exdeath, he is beefy for the gear and spells you have at the time.

in fiesta, those are quite difficult with the wrong classes. with thief you basically have to let one guy rip and the other three throw potions on garula. with white mage, it takes forever but you'll never die because you have cure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

PneumonicBook posted:

The king of baron stuff is really weird and I'm sure gets fleshed out more in the ds remake but uh....
So the real king of baron gets beaten up(killed?) and Cagnazzo shapeshifts into him while also I guess promising Baigan sweet power if you turn into a weirdo snake arm man?

correct

quote:

Also the (dead?) King of baron is also...Odin???

he, like, dies and in death is granted an eidolon form because the real king was a cool guy

quote:

But even before this the real king of baron commissions a fleet of airships, but Cid says that they're now being used for war where as before they were used for...? Travel?

It's just a weird plot point that even as a kid made me go "huh?".

the kingdom of baron was already a militaristic nation (having Cecil train as a dark knight, a dragoon corps, fledgling magic corps) but they weren't actively pillaging other nations until cagnazzo's usurpation

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

does anyone have that site with all the FF4 background stuff that didn't make it into the game

the world is extremely fleshed out, it's just that there was nowhere near enough room in the script to include it all

like, Mysidia is the home of a great conflict where people abused the power of light and dark in their magicks and all of their strongest stuff was sealed away after a cataclysm stemming from their unchecked power. where is that in the game?

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

can Red Mage use the Wonder Wand to get you Float, either through directly casting it or confusing a monster into doing it for you

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

oh I forgot when you can fight Gil Turtle. but still, you should have lots of my ways to get Float with that team

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Harrow posted:

I’m one of those people who’s never finished FFV because I get too in the weeds with job system stuff but this talk about endgame strategies is making me want to take another run at it with the pixel remaster.

or..... play FF5R :twisted:

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

deoju posted:

Does anybody know of an emulator that's sure to work with the new ff6 T Edition English version mod? From what I've read it is an old mod and newer emulators don't work. Google hasn't been much help. I'm not super savvy at this sort of thing so closer I can get to somebody holding my hand through the process the better.

just try it on the latest snes9x, I'd be surprised if it ran that kind of badly

I played the lua version on a fork of what is an only slightly older version of snes9x

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Chillgamesh posted:

Speaking of FF8 what was that mod people were recommending for it in the last thread? Was it Crystal? Might start that instead of grinding out FF13 superbosses after all, all the travel time is kinda bumming me out

the big ones are Crystal and Ragnarok-- check the qhimm forums

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

if they touch Chrono Cross, I'd rather they really dig into it and fix some of the problems with it

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

jokes posted:

Is chrono cross good? Question for the ages.

Incidentally the answer is “no but the music is great”

it could have been one of the greatest based on its art and music direction alone but the gameplay, character, and plot problems didn't support it

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I think 4PR looks and sounds very inferior to the SNES/GBA version, and 5PR sounds buggy in the wrong ways that don't even make it more interesting!

3PR is probably going to turn out to be the only worthwhile one of these releases

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

do you level up faster in FF5PR the way you do in the previous PRs

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

My one issue with Remake is that I don’t think the final boss should have been Sephiroth. That should have been saved for later.

i agree that's the weakest part. a big cataclysmic fight against motor roller or whatever his name is would have sufficed

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

she looks cool. I wonder if there's going to be much more difference between party members if it's just another character for making a build with

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Scalding Coffee posted:

They did away with the sad and angry faces from the mobile port.

what's that? they had little Golden Sun emoticons?

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I feel like there has to be a reason there's a level that's straight up from FF13. isn't that what the deal was?

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I did one hildibrand quest in FF14 and thankfully I've never found him again because it sucked and wasn't funny

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

oh hell yeah. let's get into it, FF thread

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I did some googling and there's at least a couple rebalance mods for Octopath Traveler. I think I'm going to see if they'll work with the PC Game Pass version of the game now that they install like normal games

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Xenoblade looks so bad it made me not want to play Xenogears

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

*growing increasingly impatient with a book as the pages only turn left and right*

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Harrow posted:

Is there a mod that makes the FF1 pixel remaster have a combat balance more like the original? The pixel remasters have great QoL (like a sprint button) and I like how they look and sound, but the FF1 PR is turbo-easy for everything except the very last boss.

Honestly they could've increased the HP of every boss in the game except Chaos by like 5x or more and it still wouldn't be hard but you'd probably have to heal at least. Chaos is so much harder than the other bosses just because he has enough HP that you can't just nuke him down before his attacks can take a chunk out of your HP, and even then if you have a White Mage you'll be fine.

https://discord.gg/p9F2Pk6S

dig through here, this is pretty much the place for PR mods

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Evil Fluffy posted:

The gold standard for remake is Dragon Quest 3 (SNES) and will soon be dethroned by Dragon Quest 3's 2.5D remake. :colbert:

when the heck does this come out

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

Right after Sector 7 is Aerith's entire backstory which is both serious and emotional, the first time we hear her theme, and the climbing the wire is part of an epic "we're taking down the main villain" segment so again pretty serious.

It's called balance or good writing. FFVI is lacking in that (pun unintended) in the early World of Balance. Just because XIII went the opposite route and was also bad doesn't mean some games can't actually do both comedy and tension well. FFX is far darker and more depressing than XIII but it still has lots of humor in it. Again, it's all about good writing.

This is reminding me how when I tried to talk about VII's serious themes several posters in here were like "lul did you remember [x]?" Yes, yes I did. That in no way negates the serious themes of the game. Unlike FFVI which does in fact trip over itself and ruin its tone for a lot of the early game.

Thankfully the game gets better as I'm trying to encourage Gaius to continue. The tone becomes far more consistent and powerful.

FF6 does not ruin its tone lol

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

an incredibly subjective statement. glad you found things to like about it overall though

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

getting more frustrated playing 7 than 8 is insane, but covid's been hard on everyone

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Relin posted:

if you had difficulty following the plot in psx fft you might have brain problems

the translation is mush, especially as you go on. yeah you get it enough with the visuals and what you can get from the words but it's not good

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

you should play FF4 forward first and return to the ones beforehand later

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I don't respect Act 3 of DQ11 because it's too long and I didn't like where the story was going

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

i knew.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I think the only ones of these pixel remasters worth buying are 3 and maybe 2

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

roomtone posted:

I think hard mode in FF7R is just about the right difficulty for me. It also made really clear how superfluous items are. You don't need any of them. Having them only makes certain spells kind of pointless. Removing the ability to restore MP at any time makes MP matter. You end up using every skill a person has. It's better all around, if you aren't just playing for the story.

I would like there to be a hard mode for FF7R-2 that you can start from the beginning rather than it depending on a ng+ build

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

esuna exists, it's fine

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

einhander remake or I revolt

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

the demo's first level has been much easier than in previous versions, but I've still hit a wall on Chaos Advent. I think I've forgotten how the soul shield and break gauge work

why would you block instead of soul shield if they both eat break gauge and soul shield gets you MP?

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

eonwe posted:

block eats way less gauge

about to just start doing that instead of trying to be cute with soul shield then. I'm only getting mollywhopped when my break gauge is gone

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Guard is best used for fast/less damaging attacks. You can parry with it for style points or just block to minimize damage, but you still take break damage from plain guarding unless you parry. Big heavy blows will gently caress your break up even if you're guarding. Also you still take reduced damage from magic attacks if you guard them. It's also a bit safer at close range since it comes out quicker and certain weapons let you cancel into a guard.

Soul Shield eats Break at a consistent rate but flat-out absorbs attacks unless they are glowing red, meaning it is *way* more effective against heavy hits and of course it nullifies magic attacks and can absorb certain ones so you can use them. At range Soul Shield is almost exclusively better than Guard in any situation because it's much easier to see poo poo coming towards you.

Basically Guard is for fast weak attacks, Soul Shield for heavy attacks, but if you're facing a single foe or have a pattern down then Soul Shield is probably going to be better.

this is super helpful, I'll admit that I'm being much less patient this go around because it's the third time I've been here lol

I think I just need to be more judicious with soul shield, I'd confused that it was being broken by big hits by overuse in this fight

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

my only concern having just finished the latest demo is it feels way easier than the demo before was, even on Hard mode

I of course already have it preordered anyway though

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I beat the boss of the demo's last level and all Jack's friends are like "wow, he's strong" and "yeah! he's back to normal!"

what? when did he imply he felt off or in any way differently than normal?

is there stuff that's not in the demo or is this just nonsense? I love it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

The only version of New Threat I beat completely was back in 2014 and even in that version SC included an optional fight with some apparently super broken version of Jenova he had made for an earlier version of NT. So I definitely see what you mean. A lot of game mods are lazy garbage but some, like NT, or FFVIII Crystal are awesome and I'd fully recommend them. I need to get back to the latest version of FFVI Return of the Dark Sorcerer which is much improved from the one I played about three or so years ago. It now has character restricted espers which is great, but it also allows you to apply a patch to remove that restriction if you so please. It has a lot more options like that than the version I mostly beat.

The FFX mod by the way is this if anybody cares
https://mega.nz/file/MglkHbrT#C7UEqb1G0UBaiWcnwOUndinA3Ovn2PEaao42YWeRfHk

Now I have 2.6a, I have no idea if this 2.6F is the version with the superpowered BFA. I would assume so since somebody warned me about it at about this time. It's a shame though because I liked other changes in the mod. I never found it unfair or unfun. I never recommended it on here because I wanted to finish it first but I have a bad habit of leaving games unfinished this last year and this mod is one of those games I wandered off from. I got up to after Yunalesca and stopped. I really should get back to it but I have so much other stuff on my mind right now.

He largely removes gimmicks from bosses. For example, you will almost certainly never be able to knock Chocobo Eater off the cliff. It's not impossible I'm told but I never could make it happen, I just killed it every time. SinSpawn Gui's Head is no longer targetable so it will always get off Venom. The Al Bhed Tank magic negating thing shows up at the start of the fight but will never respawn after being destroyed so its Mana Cannon is always a problem. Stuff like that.

These are largely whatever changes for me but they might turn others off so fair warning.

I've made it to Mushroom Rock but the fights are a little brutal for me right now. I guess I could just grind for a while