Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Starbucks posted:

Yeah but he has a rack there with free spots. When in Rome and all that.

Just throwing out there that most people would be surprised by how little horsepower most of this stuff needs. If I had a server rack I'd be finding ways to fill it too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee
jesus christ shut up nerds. more copper please njan99

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I think we all know he's gonna buy some used opencompute gear from ebay, and DIY the power supplies/supporting infrastructure that's supposed to come with it.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Get a Cray-1 to use as the house brain and also double as a fancy sofa.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Cat Hatter posted:

Just throwing out there that most people would be surprised by how little horsepower most of this stuff needs. If I had a server rack I'd be finding ways to fill it too.

I ran my entire "home infra" on an old Lenovo M93p tiny (i5-4590T / 16GB RAM) up until last week :haw:

That includes pfsense, pihole, home assistant, irc client vm, SSH bastion host, some web services, statistics server etc.

It doesn't take much.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Arrath posted:

Why in God's name would you just blithely open the door and invite the vampire in like that?

Could be worse, could have mentioned Solarwi... shoot that was too close.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Can that foundation handle a rouge cargo freighter?

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Not Wolverine posted:

Can that foundation handle a rouge cargo freighter?

No but it might be able to handle other colours.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Whats been occurring. Not a lot to be honest. I didnt get any easter eggs so I sulked for a few days

I was gonna start tiling some floors but realised I didnt have any of the tools I needed somehow. The tiles in the great room are 900mm long so need something big to cut them. I looked at getting yet another little wet cutter but I hate them so I ended up convincing myself to get a ryobi one plus cutter instead. Like thinking itll be easier to move the cutter than the tile when theyre that big.

I practised on an offcut and hosed it up. regrets but we'll see

and the big chopper

oh and then I read the primer and it reminded me I need to turn off the underfloor heating for 48 hours first lol. WHich I was pleased about as I could go back to sulking

Electricians been

Put that big box on the right in and connected up proper power. So the house is now running off actual proper power rather than an extension lead. So I can like plug things in

but also just turn on some lights

I've got several light circuits plugged in to one of these as I couldnt bring myself to buy all the ones I would actually need to have them all switch seperately. So this can do two cicuits

only got a couple of things wired up to consumer unit

plenty to go yet

more crappy woodwork

the wall on the right is massively put of plumb so that'll be I'm sure really fun to deal with

the reason I had to put all that timber in is I've run out of the backer board sheets so am making do with offcuts

Heres the basin setup opposte the shitter

Tap bolts arent long enough to go through the 40mm worktop

So make a test bit up, routed out the bottom to see what to do

Same idea on the actual piece

and of course it lands right on the sup[port woodwork so have to hack that about

Trip to town to buy some hep20 hoses. and wine.

drop one of the nuts down the little gap around the wastepipe so have to undo the wall there. That will be tiled later so wont be able to do that again

all a bit loose... and floppy? but I guess thats that

test it all works

And thats how you spend a whole day sort of halfway finishing fitting a tap.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

hurrah

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
It is all starting to look pretty good! It's exciting to see it all come together.

But my god, it really is a colossal amount of work to build a house. You've certainly warned me off ever even considering it.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

it's nice to see it come together, but this is the kind of project i could see making someone have a mental breakdown. just the amount of boxes and cleanup poo poo i got a glimpse of you'll have to do _after_ all the actual bullshit critical thinking problem solving fuckery makes me want to take a nap instead

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Splode posted:

But my god, it really is a colossal amount of work to build a house. You've certainly warned me off ever even considering it.

It's a lot of work, but it's not usually this much work

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

Splode posted:

It is all starting to look pretty good! It's exciting to see it all come together.

Yeah, but when you build it yourself, you get to make sure it’s done right and the builders didn’t just use the cheapest materials they could find off eBay.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Wifi Toilet posted:

Yeah, but when you build it yourself, you get to make sure it’s done right and the builders didn’t just use the cheapest materials they could find off eBay.

I'd say it's better to build the house more in this way than buying some ready made crap by developers where they cut corners without your knowing, well until it's too late.

You can hire a house building company that will build a house for you here at an agreed fixed price, and you get to be involved in every step as much or as little as you like. That's how we built our house and I got everything documented about the house build.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

His Divine Shadow posted:

I'd say it's better to build the house more in this way than buying some ready made crap by developers where they cut corners without your knowing, well until it's too late.

You can hire a house building company that will build a house for you here at an agreed fixed price, and you get to be involved in every step as much or as little as you like. That's how we built our house and I got everything documented about the house build.

But did you get a thread of lols to pass down to your grandchildren?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Yes, though it doesn't hold a candle to this one.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Aight sounds like you won then lol

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I've got several light circuits plugged in to one of these as I couldnt bring myself to buy all the ones I would actually need to have them all switch seperately. So this can do two cicuits

I've forgotten what this whole thing is even for. You've got the usual electrical panel and then you've got this thing. Do you have multiple circuits coming off the panel to this lighting board and this then further distributes the power in a network-addressable way?
It's been a while since I've considered the lighting.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Wifi Toilet posted:

I see what you did there!

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Fidelitious posted:

I've forgotten what this whole thing is even for. You've got the usual electrical panel and then you've got this thing. Do you have multiple circuits coming off the panel to this lighting board and this then further distributes the power in a network-addressable way?
It's been a while since I've considered the lighting.

Its a big lighting box. I've run two lighting circuits from the main consumer unit to cover everythimg and then will disperse from the top.

To allow me to do whatever I want here. Like for instance right now I've got the one lightswitch in the hallway by the front door turning on several circuits, both bathrooms. No other house could do this. Also I can do it in an app on my phone. from anywhere. in the world!

primed bathroom floor

ok laying out this poo poo to try and see how its gonna work

hmmm... tricky

chop some bits up i guess. line up the tiles so i get a full run off them down the drain bit

so I've spent all this money on ways to cut big metre long tiles... how you cut little tiles?

dont think this will work

watched soem youtubes... tape them up i dunno

yeah this thing just pisses water out all over the place no way to control it

spend more money

just to use the same grinder i had in the first place lol gently caress

something like this i gu3ess

masking tape and cuts with grinder seems to work. and my hands a bit

ok

ok

all laid out. easy peasy

gunk down, back butter as best can

looking good?

nah. its total poo poo. multiple reasons. nothing is right and you'll stand on this in bare feet. so you'll know.

I've dragged it all back up, hosed it off, its all fallen to bits and today has been a loving disaster.

great. amazing

try again tomorrow

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

NotJustANumber99 posted:

all laid out. easy peasy

nah. its total poo poo. multiple reasons. nothing is right and you'll stand on this in bare feet. so you'll know.

I've dragged it all back up, hosed it off, its all fallen to bits and today has been a loving disaster.

great. amazing

try again tomorrow

I love a good example of not ever being able to know where the tiles will end up

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
This thread is an excellent answer to "why do the trades exist and get paid better than most?"

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

This thread is an excellent answer to "why do the trades exist and get paid better than most?"

Yeah, but it seems like the tradies have mostly just ripped him off and left him with only poor work and a hateful memory of tradie crack.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Tradies don't get paid that well though, most of the money usually ends up in the pockets of the general contractor or company owner and not the tradie who's doing the work as a sub-(sub-)contractor. It's a big part of why so much of them are terrible, because all the competent ones gently caress off to better paying jobs.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

All you need is a solid foundation

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Just Winging It posted:

Tradies don't get paid that well though, most of the money usually ends up in the pockets of the general contractor or company owner and not the tradie who's doing the work as a sub-(sub-)contractor. It's a big part of why so much of them are terrible, because all the competent ones gently caress off to better paying jobs.
I know a lot of electricians, the good ones do commercial/industrial under a union and don't have to climb through attics or crawlspaces. They work as much overtime as they want and have no desire to deal with the general public so I know zero willing to do residential work.

Just Winging It posted:

Residential trades don't get paid well.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

I wouldn't backbutter mosaics, they are small enough that you will get full coverage without it. If you do back butter them you will be endlessly digging adhesive out of the grout lines.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Tiling looks exactly like the kind of fiddly bullshit that would slowly drive me insane as I try to line up everything juuuust right until I'm halfway through (after 5 false starts where I caught my mistake) and I realize I hosed up and my eye twitches then I'm "here's johnny!"'ing the entire wall with a sledgehammer.

I'll just pay a dude

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Arrath posted:

Tiling looks exactly like the kind of fiddly bullshit that would slowly drive me insane as I try to line up everything juuuust right until I'm halfway through (after 5 false starts where I caught my mistake) and I realize I hosed up and my eye twitches then I'm "here's johnny!"'ing the entire wall with a sledgehammer.

I'll just pay a dude
Don't forget you also have to move relatively quickly before your cement starts to cure, leading to poor adhesion!

I wouldn't mind the finickiness if I wasn't racing against time.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Yeah but if you just pay a dude he might do a bad job.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
Given the rest of the house, I assume these are the circuit breakers you're using

Pile Of Garbage posted:

Apologies if this was already posted here but I feel it's very relevant: a WiFi-enabled circuit breaker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dd16_Y9xfpw

Its remotely controllable via an app which lets you do plenty of dangerous poo poo like remotely cycling the breaker or disabling ground fault and overload protection (Bonus: there's no way to tell if protection is disabled by looking at the breaker)!

stoopiduk
Nov 11, 2021

drgitlin posted:

Yeah but if you just pay a dude he might do a bad job.

And poo poo in your garden.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

aren't you supposed to use those little insert spacer things to get all the tiles to space exactly equally so they line up

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Leperflesh posted:

aren't you supposed to use those little insert spacer things to get all the tiles to space exactly equally so they line up

Yeah it helps, the net thing is more to hold little tiles together on the back so you don't have to deal with each tiny tile individually for like a one foot square. I think a lot of the problems there are due to the floor being uneven to provide drainage, it's more of a challenge to tile than flat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReoG1XwT860

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I've never done any tiling, I had a guy do our floors and he was professional and did a good job. He used ropes or string..

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

CancerCakes posted:

I wouldn't backbutter mosaics, they are small enough that you will get full coverage without it. If you do back butter them you will be endlessly digging adhesive out of the grout lines.

yeah this was definitely right

lets try again

with sloppier gunk, less of it in one go, actually trying, using a level and not stopping halfway through to chat to the neighbours for 45mins

ok, still a bit wank, but going better.

Needed that proper tile in as well to give a nice clean, level edge to mosaic up to. Also thats where the glass is going to sit. so kind of need it nice and level. Which last time it wasn't.

This is notswift progress. but well... probably unnecessary to say that at this point

finally get to unleash my big chopper

so

Thats all done for the mosaics. thank god

normal tiles for the rest.

apart from the whole other bathroom that needs doing exactly the same.

It probably looks ok in the photo... once its cleaned off a bit. Not so sure though... maybe always have to wear flip flops in the shower so I dont notice the unevenness

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Looks really nice imo which is what counts since I will never set foot in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.

aniviron posted:

I will never set foot in it.

???

Sooner or later, everyone who's ever read this thread is going down that drain as a liquid homogenate following a dramatic increase in pressure within the house.