Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

vanity slug posted:

This is how you'll be parking your car: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QksqWRqEfy0 (there are English subs)

Seems like it would be easier to climb out the car window like in NASCAR or the Dukes Of Hazzard. Looking at my examples, maybe that's more of an American concept?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
I lived in the outskirts of Atlanta when the water company went around and put backflow preventers on everyone's house. The only problem I ever had was explaining to everyone that came into Lowe's that they now needed an expansion tank so the water expanding in your water heater has somewhere to go and yes, I know you didn't used to need one but the city changed how your pipes work.

Only screaming I ever had involved the water company shutting off your service pretty much immediately if you ever forgot to pay your bill.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Angrymog posted:

Wow - they can do that? They're not allowed to do that to domestic customers here.

Depends on where you live. To my understanding you can usually get them to not turn it off if you have a reason you can't pay beyond "LOL, I don't want to". I've never dealt with that though, just "forgot to mail the check".

Where I now live in Michigan, if they're allowed to shut it off, they're a lot more lenient. The guy I bought my house from had something like $1800 in delinquent water bills he had to settle before he could sell the house.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

That looks like it would induce coffin dreams.

Well, I certainly slept like the dead in mine. You're not really that close to the ceiling so unless you're extremely claustrophobic it doesn't matter to most people. Some people also enjoy sleeping up high and/or in a tucked away space and a loft tickles both those parts of the brain.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
How's marijuana prices in Canada? In Michigan it's literally half of what it was last year and a guy I know that grows it says without a warehouse you can't even grow it for cheaper than what dispensaries sell it for. Also apparently the stuff at dispensaries is basically crappy Walmart weed.

Leperflesh posted:

can I derail your thread to discuss gasoline/petrol? because us, canada, and UK do not calculate "octane" the same (and also "high grade" is not actually that, it's "less explosive" which is needed for high compression engines so they don't have premature detonation and blow up, it's not "better gas." In a sense, it's "worse gas." Calling it "premium" was a genius marketing move to convince idiots to put the wrong fuel int their cars and get worse performance as a result lol)

https://www.etuners.gr/fuel/

also when you buy less of something it usually costs more per weight then when you buy more of it, that should not be hard to understand either lol

I wanted to post that, but you beat me to it.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Hadlock posted:

I keep waiting to see what he's gonna plant in the plant room :dance:

it's gonna be monstera deliciosa with all the heat and humidity from leaking hoses

I started keeping an artificial fern on my water softener so I can call the mechanical area of my basement the plant room.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

AKA the thing they tried to kill James Bond with in The World Is Not Enough.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Now I know how Europeans feel when they look at American timber framed housing.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Why would he be running individual power and ethernet just to have a bunch of DMX lighting?

That's just how the Ruff Ryders roll.

Most people use smart home stuff so they don't need to home run power or HVAC all the way back to the central control area. Looking forward to the full stage lighting setup though.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

peanut posted:

Did it *have to* be flesh colored?

You may not like it, but this is the optimal form for cable penetration.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

TheMightyHandful posted:

holy poo poo, you're going to be so mad when you hear about wifi

Wifi sucks for tons of connections.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Tomarse posted:

Anybody who deliberately meshes wifi AP's in the same building deserves to be locked in an L-shaped loft space on a hot day and forced to download lots of massive files.

This L shaped house better end up with a properly managed wifi setup

poo poo wifi sucks for tons of connections.
Good wifi is better than your standard 1gbit wired connection now.

Max throughput is faster if you have one device, but the latency is longer and less consistent and that speed is a total shared by all your devices. I wouldn't say that's "better" without some qualifications.

Jaded Burnout posted:

Lotta network partisans ITT. Bet you lot also had xbox vs playstation arguments at school.

My Sega Genesis does what Nintendon't.

Cat Hatter fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jun 29, 2023

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Don't make me tap the " 'electrocute' means 'killing with electricity' " sign

I imagine "I was clinically dead for two minutes!" would still qualify for the original definition.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I think I'm just going to try explaining it to an ai and get it to produce whatever it thinks is necessary to get an electrician to sign it off.

"Computer, create a diagram capable of defeating an electrician."

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

NJAN, do yourself a favor and put grab bars next to the freestanding tub and in the shower. Bathroom falls are dangerous, and standing on slippery surfaces is hard. Furthermore, freestanding tubs are harder to get out of than you think they are, because you can't anchor your hands on the rim when getting out of the tub.

I once saw an adult film that basically turned into an infomercial for bathroom grab bars halfway through. They were in the shower and most of the dialogue became "and if you have this bar you can do it like this...then you can grab this other bar and do it like this...or you can open the shower door and grab the bar attached to the toilet and do this". It was bizarre but persuasive.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Well, I can't. Our clawfoot tub is a little over knee height and flares outward, and to get out of it without the grab bar, I'd have to bend way over, grab the rolled edge, straddle it, then swing the other foot over and stand up. Built-in tubs aren't usually that tall.

Not gonna lie, the ads they run on network television for extra tall jet tubs with a seat and a door are starting to look appealing.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

zbn posted:

It's a lever lock, fairly common in the UK (can be secure enough for external doors, according to whoever writes the British Standards) and probably cheaper than buying the Euro cylinder equivalent for this type of sashlock.

Does the UK and/or Europe have something akin to what Americans put on bedrooms and bathrooms, where the door can be locked from the inside but on the outside instead of a key you just unlock it with a flathead screwdriver (sometimes recessed into a tiny hole in the knob)?

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Turn on the shower as you start heading there so you arrive just in time for the lukewarm water to be purged from the pipes?

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Failed Imagineer posted:

I mean how long can that possibly take? I just turn on the shower, piss, and by the time I hop in the shower it's toasty.

Depends on how far you are from the water heater and how low flow your shower head is? It's not like it takes forever to walk across the house either.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
I already have the ability to hold a dinner party hostage with the release of gas.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

goatface posted:

Just spray the bricks with a layer of liquid rubber.

To replace the plaster, mitigate radon, or both?

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I downloaded it and all i got was this

I don't even beleive thats a real shower head? looks fake

Looks like a tiny version of that chair Will Smith was sitting in in Men In Black. Maybe it was an alien Jacuzzi chair.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Is this the UK equivalent of having a Camero up on blocks in the yard?

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Is that a mailbox for your toilet? Maybe Wifi Toilet can hook you up with e-mail.

UK plumbing codes let/expect you to just drill a hole in a sewer pipe and attach a fitting to it? The nanny state in the US would make you use a premade fitting that was either a T with a little diverter inside so upstream poo poo doesn't try to leave out the side or a Y fitting so upstream poo poo would have to go uphill to head towards your washing machine. They also frown (at least) on short radius fittings for a toilet.

Sorry to hear about you somehow breaking your saw by jamming your finger into the blade, but that's honestly as good as that could have went.

Cat Hatter fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Aug 10, 2023

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Leperflesh posted:

lol the windows were all open to let the weed smoke out right

No, that's just incense they were burning.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Failed Imagineer posted:

This is the bit I don't get about passive house philosophy. I like having windows and my back door open, a summer or autumn breeze feels really nice, you can get the scent of the jasmine and herbs growing in your garden, connect to the outdoors. Being in a hermetically-sealed box (or L) just isn't for me tbh

They still have doors and windows if it's nice out (or if the Stargate is on the fritz), but you have the option of sealing everything up if it's 1 or 100 degrees out.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
When I went to college some of the buildings had individual bedrooms (one bathroom and common space per 4 bedrooms) but most of the buildings had two people per bedroom, two bedrooms per common room for a total of 4 students.

It's inexpensive to build and I found it to be a decent tradeoff between privacy and keeping students from going full hermit.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Failed Imagineer posted:

When Warren Buffett guest starred on The Office (US), he and Munger used the fake toilet on set, which had no plumbing, and made such a mess they had to rebuild that part of the set. So yeah, not sure I trust Charles Munger's architectural vision

Wouldn't you notice there wasn't any water in the bowl?

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
That makes more sense.

I'd probably be afraid to use any bathroom at a studio. You're taking a poo poo and someone pulls a wall away and now a studio audience is watching you drop a deuce into what is essentially a fancy bucket.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Jaded Burnout posted:

Isn’t that the same argument they made for MegaDorm 1?

Billionaires make a lot of arguments about things they know nothing about, but unless that dude had experience living in a prison and/or submarine he probably doesn't have anything to back that up.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Jaded Burnout posted:

For sure, but in the article there’s quotes from the head architect on the committee who supports it.

It's still a decent tradeoff to have a window in every bedroom and extra room to gather around a tv to play Halo. If you absolutely couldn't sleep with another person in the room there were other residence halls available but the individual rooms were smaller (worked out to about the same floorspace per person) and I don't think you were guaranteed a window.

The Odd Couple roommate dynamic is really overstated for movies/tv. If you really can't get along with someone, one of you can trade with someone from the other pair. If you can't get along with any of the three other people, they can move you to another room entirely. If that doesn't solve things, you're probably just a douche.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

knox_harrington posted:

So how much do you pay for this ~prison level accommodation?

Slightly less than solitary.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

WhatEvil posted:

I think for most UK unis, halls are only for 1st-year students? Is the same true of dorms in the US? Usually in the UK you go out and rent a rooming house privately after the first year.

In the US you can live in the dorms until you graduate, but most people move into an off campus apartment after a year or two because it's cheaper. Besides, you should have some of your "first time living without your parents" out of your system. Apartment complexes also have differing willingness to rent to students, especially younger ones.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

aniviron posted:

the house has not one but two ventilation systems, one of which is unused

Sounds like you've got a bunch of conduit to easily fish wiring through then.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
That's a pretty nasty sunburn. If I had access to universal healthcare, I'd probably get that checked out. I don't though, so I'd probably skip the aloe and go straight to Bag Balm, a product intended to help livestock with chapped udders and is approved for veterinary use only.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

CancerCakes posted:

Put a tarp over the front pallet, plasterers don't have object permanency

This, if for some reason you can't move the front pallet out of the way when the plasterers come.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

big scary monsters posted:

I've never tried it on sunburn but Bag Balm is a miracle ointment for every other skin ailment in humans and animals so it's definitely worth a try.

Even when I was a lifeguard I never had a sunburn that was too bad for aloe, but I've had good results putting Bag Balm on chemical burns before.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Jaded Burnout posted:

Band-aid is just a brand name for sticking plasters, invented in the mid-1800s, which is what americans also called them before the brand "band-aid" came along in the 1920s. As usual it's from Latin, emplastrum, meaning "bandage". You could've googled this.

Americans probably stopped calling bandages plasters before the brand "band-aid" came along in the 1920s as evidenced by them being called "band-aids" and not "plast-aids"

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Loezi posted:

Etymonline, for what it's worth, thinks band-aid was not used before the trademark in 1920s: https://www.etymonline.com/word/Band-Aid#etymonline_v_26887

Which matches rather neatly with a big falloff in the occurrences of "plaster" https://www.etymonline.com/word/plaster#etymonline_v_16452

Both "bandage" and "band" ofc go way back.

Lol, the "bandage" page doesn't even list "plaster" as a related word.

More importantly, are the British of all people complaining that Americans are using a genaricized trademark too much?

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Just make sure you've got your wellies on.

I googled "wellies" to check the spelling and the first related question was "What are wellies called in America?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Failed Imagineer posted:

That's aesthetic as heck

It almost makes me wish I had a brick wall a different size from my door.