Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Yeah thanks OP. Question for the thread, that beam type structure that he's using for the foundation, is that something you see ever in NA because I've honestly never seen it. Reminds me in principle of the q-something solution for concrete between floors but it's individual little reinforced beams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I'm aware this is getting a bit old, being stuck in the ground, trust me, I know it. Another post or two and I'll get us a bit further.

It's not getting old at all, these are great and informative and very interesting posts. Interesting solution for the pump, I've seen full on diaphragm pumps at bigger sites which will happily pump (some degree of) little bits of gravel and stuff around without too much fuss.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

This thread is incredible, it's like someone actually going through with all the wild stuff people would be told to do if they were asking for advice in a thread about the same situation.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Also, now I look back on it I'm lamenting how no one will ever know about all my piles.

At the same time I've realised my gate posts require attention, every day I have to lift up the gate and walk it round, rotted as the posts are.

I think I have a once and for all solution and have given my old pilling pals a call to see if we can sort this out:

That's your ceiling OP

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Ask him for his merc level job not his van level job.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

You should point the cement mixer straight up so when you drive it goes ooooooooooooooo.

Sorry I'm just realizing, did this all happen last year and you're just giving us the replay now? Or is this happening currently? Thanks for the updates regardless.

e: I'm assuming you were kidding about the mixer but if you're actually curious the air currently inside it would prevent further air from entering, with the small exception that the pressure in it would increase slightly with your speed as a little bit more air would be in that volume. It's the same principle as how pitot tubes work.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jul 1, 2022

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Disappointing that you've decided to seemingly use windows of a similar size and style and shape, against SA tradition.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

gently caress that's the coolest thing I've seen in awhile.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

NotJustANumber99 posted:

need these joints machining into all the ends for joints. Somehow I haven't got all the woodworking tools I used to so I make a bit of a hash of it all as usual, but good enough

Looks good still, guessing from the saw mark that you did what we used to do in laneway home construction and set the blade depth on a circular saw to the depth you needed, then criss cross the area to be removed, then use a hammer to smack the pieces out, and chisel to flatten?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Lost all the car batteries and a compressor. Neighbours lawn mower. A day faffing around. My sense of security. My faith in humanity.

I was surprised (not really) to see this happened but then remembered that the UK has the original Surrey/Whalley and maybe it's a Surrey thing.

e: While I was working as a site safety officer at a small private hospital in our Surrey, we had a guy climb our crane overnight to cut the copper grounding cable from the very top. I have no idea how long it took to scamper up the crane to do this and then gather probably 100lbs of braided copper and I guess put it in the back of a truck or something.

They also broke into the site office and stole my boss's laptop which I used to play diablo 2 LOD which was a huge and upsetting development.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Aug 11, 2022

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

NotJustANumber99 posted:

lol no

I have several er... temporarily sub operational ICE vehicles on site. and their batteries have been sitting in the bathroom for a while.

Was this a strategy to make your neighbours like you more or?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

For what it's worth I (a Canadian) would never associate that structure with McDonalds, it's not at all like any one of them I've ever seen.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Holy gently caress lmao

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I love that look! Here in Vancouver BC basically nothing is roofed in that pattern but it has a huge aesthetic. Maybe because I'm not used to it?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

This guy's got tiles for miles

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Those look great, good work.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Oh yeah no bud that's just so people with wheelchairs can go in there okay

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

BonerGhost posted:

Doesn't concrete stick to the form usually? How do you just pull it up?

You generally will have what's called Form Oil and you spray it on the forms. It's stinky as gently caress and horrible. If you're doing a taller building or otherwise reusing the same forms eventually you don't need as much as the wood absorbs it but yeah not great.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I was clicking through my bookmarks without really looking at the thread titles and as soon as I saw this photo I knew which thread I was in. Love it.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I imagine that when this house is eventually sold; surveyors, architects and builders alike will travel from miles around to see it and quietly, reverently whisper "what the fuuuck"

If there's something I hope people (who have never worked in or around construction) take away from this thread, it's that pretty much every building has issues/interesting solutions like this. Every house you drive by, every little place had it's story, shortcuts, dumbass subtrades, etc as it was being built.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Yeah was going to post that, or you can just cut and resolder the ends on the other side of the conduit.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Jaded Burnout posted:

what happened to middle guy?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

God I want to be that guy

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I'm from the Canadian West and I personally de-knot each and every board that gets sent back from the colonies.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Vim Fuego posted:

He posted the floorplan in another thread

As ridiculous and prison-like as it is, and obviously it is (I think that one didn't get built actually after an uproar), I wouldn't have given a poo poo as a uni kid and my dorm window was only ever used for getting into the dorm window of the guy beside me on the 3rd floor so we could flip all his poo poo upside down and confuse him. This was before mental health was a huge topic in adolescents so I appreciate it's not a 1:1 thing.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

His Divine Shadow posted:

You could also not use your phone while making GBS threads.

What insane poo poo is this

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

This subforum must be active enough to keep an entire crew of skilled tradespeople employed. Why is there no Goonswork.co.uk?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Snapped my brand new paintbrush priming them. Tried to contact the company to whinge at them but they don't seem interested, not sure whats going on there

Congrats on your new Freestyle brush - they exist and yes they cost like 3x as much as a normal brush.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

In Vancouver you tear down your place to do a joint land sale to a developer way before 17 years is up. They got good use out of it!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

NotJustANumber99 posted:

loving hole cutter falls perfectly on extension lead wire, severing it in a lovely little firework. ffs. tripped power. I fix it but its literally the morning of the day the electrician comes back

Looks good! Really seems like it's at that point where it's starting to pick up pace rapidly. Literally lol'd when I saw the hole saw on the cord.

If you have this stuff in your area, I recommend an olfa blade instead of that folding thing you're using:

Any blade for these works:

These let you get the blade way out and you can get it very flush with whatever you're trying to cut/scrape there. they're also super quick and cheap to change blades. I've had the same one for almost 20 years and I use it on tons of projects.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

NotJustANumber99 posted:

So i rang and said thats ridiculous. lady tapped away for a minute and then said ok on your trade account 25 quid.

w t a f !

It riles me up so bad cos I'm sure theres situations where I've been lazy and just bought from them and not interrogated the price. so how badly have I been screwed over? And never mind me, anyone else just going in unknowingly assuming yeah ok maybe not the best price but whatever... and getting charged 4X the going rate?!?!?

I lust don't know how these people live with themselves. And you know a lot of that is people paying a tradesperson to do a job in their home and just going whatever paying the bill and the tradesperson has just lazily paid whatever at the builders merchant for it cos they know theyre passing on the bill.

Just... gently caress

This is an allegory for the American healthcare system, in which you are playing the role of an insurance company making the call and they are the finance dept of the hospital.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Vim Fuego posted:

Why do you need seals between rooms in your house? Is this thing taking off to space at some point?

More likely he's going to fly out everyone that's ever shitposted in this thread and then pump all the oxygen out of that room while he watches the 35 hardwired webcams from the next room over.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Computer viking posted:

Are piles equally resistant in both directions, or have they only been approved to handle downward forces?

quote:

Uplift capacity of single piles and pile groups embedded in cohesionless soil
Conclusions
Experimental tests were conducted on single piles and pile groups containing two, four, and six piles under pure uplift loading. The test results are presented and discussed in this paper. Based on the foregoing study, the following main conclusions are drawn:

1.The behavior of single piles under uplift loading depends mainly on both the pile embedment depth-to-diameter ratio (L/d) and the soil properties. The net uplift capacity of a pile improves significantly with an increase in both the (L/d) ratio and the relative density of soil.

2.An upward displacement of about 1.4–2.5% of the pile diameter is required to attain the net uplift capacity for both single piles and pile groups. A very small upward displacement, 0.4–0.6% times the pile diameter, is required to develop the allowable uplift load.

3.The load–displacement behavior of a single pile embedded in sand under uplift loading can be represented adequately by a power equation that includes simple parameters. This equation needs to be verified by conducting full-scale uplift-loading tests on single piles.

4.For a net uplift load per pile in a group equal to a single pile load, the upward displacement of a closely spaced pile group increases due to interaction effects between piles.

5.The efficiency of the tested pile groups under uplift loading ranges from 0.32 to 0.83 according to the number of piles in the group, the pile embedment depth-to-diameter ratio, and the relative density of sand.

6.The efficiency of a pile group under uplift loading decreases with an increase in the number of piles in the group and with an increase of the pile embedment depth-to-diameter ratio.

7.The efficiency of a pile group under uplift loading increases slightly with an increase in the relative density of soil.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

withak posted:

I am a licensed professional engineer specializing in foundations and I can assure you that piles handle forces in both directions!

What is your take on the foundations of the structure in the thread OOC?

e: oops thanks!

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Sep 15, 2023

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Is it scarier to find the poo poo or is it scarier to not find it and realize they've put it in the plaster because you gave them a hard time? Nice brownish colour, that plaster.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

OP you really gotta run huge LED strips down that loft and have raves in it.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

WhatEvil posted:

Nobody can.

Here in Canada I pay my "Hydro" bill.

Guess what that's for.

Yeah, you nailed it. Electricity. Not water, don't be stupid.

It's hydroelectric lmao

e: for content, 87% of our power in BC is sourced from hydroelectric! It's v good.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Bobby Deluxe posted:

It is a conceptually interesting question - when does it become a house that requires airflow as designed, and stop being a building site?

When the electricians come in. They won't come in before it can be locked up.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Is hardiboard not really a thing in the UK? Everything is hardi here (concrete fibreboard).

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Its almost looking like this goon will finish his place before 100 pages which must be a record of some sort?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Potrzebie posted:

Are you sure you got this right? In Sweden, where we have negative pricing on the spot market quite often, your random private customer will not see those prices. Only big industry, that can soak a ton of excess power off the grid as needed actually get paid. Because they do perform a valuable service to the grid owner. And as of right now the price has not been so negative as to cancel out the profit margin and ~fees~ that are the bulk of cost of electricity.

E: Now with the right post quoted. Derp.

I assume it does in fact work in his favour and that's why he can't get anyone out to install one, honestly.