Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

That heating setup seems overly complicated, and you risk tanking the COP of that heat pump with buffer tanks. Hire a professional to design your (UFH) system properly for an air-source heat pump and forget about all the rest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

His Divine Shadow posted:

edit:
I've looked around and at least for NIBE heat pumps like my F-1245 they have an accessory (AXC40) which is basically a controller for a shunt/mixer valve that interfaces with the heat pump and an external temperature sensor connected to the buffer tank.

If there's hot water in the buffer tank, it will open the shunt valve and hot water from the tank will be used for heating the floor (or radiators). It will even mix the water to the desired temperature that the heat pump wants. When the buffer tank cools the shunt valve disconnects the tank from the loop and the heat pump takes over sole responsibility for heating until the buffer tank is warm enough again.

I figure something like that is a decent solution for combining a wood boiler and heat pump, the heat pump doesn't have to work against a buffer tank then but directly against the floor heating system for maximum COP. At least in theory. I have no practical experience of this, though I would love a wood boiler to supplement my heat pump when power is expensive though.

This seems like a sane solution, particularly as it keeps the heat pump happy. You can get very good COP factor from air source heat pumps if you install them correctly, particularly in the UK where it doesn't get very cold.

Power has to be very expensive for a wood boiler to be worth it, IMO. I would be more worried about a prolonged power outage. But then the problem becomes having enough backup power to run circulation pumps and control circuits...

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

NotJustANumber99 posted:

My dad says the heat pumps never going to work properly where I've put it.

:allears:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Heatpumps made for the Nordic market will handle -25C without much issue, but obviously the COP factor is no longer 5 at that point :v:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

His Divine Shadow posted:

Somebody who really wants to do a good job

Long form content rules, short form content is actually damaging to your brain and reduces your attention span.

It's this. Normalize long form content :colbert:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

TheMightyHandful posted:

Hopefully with the individually network addressed light fittings you have installed backups for redundancy

Dual homed lights, for redundancy :haw:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Endjinneer posted:

Maybe put a bag over your smoke alarm. There might be one in the packet that looks a bit like a shower cap. If it's the radioactive type of detector they get really pissy about dust, especially from construction work.

Do this, or you'll be replacing those before long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Cat Hatter posted:

Just throwing out there that most people would be surprised by how little horsepower most of this stuff needs. If I had a server rack I'd be finding ways to fill it too.

I ran my entire "home infra" on an old Lenovo M93p tiny (i5-4590T / 16GB RAM) up until last week :haw:

That includes pfsense, pihole, home assistant, irc client vm, SSH bastion host, some web services, statistics server etc.

It doesn't take much.