Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I know the air-tight-ness is an important part of the Passivhaus standard. My apartment is pretty airtight, to the point there's a decent amount of pressure on the front door if you run the kitchen extractor fan. It pops open when you turn the handle.

Compared to the draughty flats I lived in in London it's fantastic. Due to builder fuckups we didn't actually have any heating initially and it was not really noticeable, until midwinter I guess when it got down to 19°C in the apartment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

So how much do you pay for this ~prison level accommodation?

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Leperflesh posted:

Also, in the states, we graduate high school at 18 and go straight to college or university (which are more or less the same thing here), where as in the UK you graduate at 16, go to college for 2 years, and then go to uni.

Lol that's not really how it works. Some people do call the final 2 years of school "college" but it's not analogous to a US college.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Party Boat posted:

Our house needed a lot of work doing when we moved in and I had a real existential moment when I had to fix a floorboard upstairs while there was a hole in the plaster of the ceiling underneath, meaning I could see all the way through to the hallway floor.

Houses are basically fake! They're mostly empty air!

This is triggering me about living in a 1930s flat in south London, absolutely zero noise insulation from the one upstairs. They removed the carpet and clomped around in high heels shouting at their dog.

Amusingly the guy was extremely white and the woman was not, and he seemed to prefer to dress in vaguely colonial clothes when they rarely ventured into the garden. Not quite a pith helmet but not far off.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Believe it or not there are also houses in the UK that are more than 60 years old.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

will these hands ne'er be clean?

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

The heat pump doesn't mind whether the thermostats are letting water through ineach room, it just keeps the hot-side water at a constant temperature. If everything is warm enough the pump just shuts off.

Not wanting to be able to control the heat in each room is a bit odd imo. People like their bedrooms at different temperatures. I bet the system doesn't perfuse each circuit equally either.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

His Divine Shadow posted:

Our heat pump bases what it does on external temperature sensor, not an internal one. I think people are weirdly spoiled to bother about a few degrees here or there.

If you look in the settings you'll probably find it does both. You set the curve to modulate what the heating circuit temp gets to based on the outside temp.

https://pubdb.bfe.admin.ch/en/publication/download/9982

Also lol "spoiled" you must be fun to be around

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

pokeyman posted:

Flashbacks of mum saying "it's cold in here" and dad pointing to the thermostat saying "it's 21°C".

Draughty room, dad should have taped the seams up better

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

The Cyberhaus can serve briefly as a boat

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

No thanks

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Prototypical british jobsworth

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Houses with slate / tile fascias on my dog walk:

Those are not good looking houses

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

The Russians simply used a lock

House is looking good, the cladding is going to need some treatment though right?

Round these parts in the Alps pretty much all wood is stained dark brown which does last for ages but I think would make this house look a bit dingy.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Cybergutters

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

His Divine Shadow posted:

I don't believe that, rooftop solar is also pretty terrible from what I've read, and solar in general is terrible in european latitudes.

Frankly the idea that this 800m2 monstrosity is somehow ecologically friendly is offensive to me, rich people logic who need to soothe their conscience.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

~Coxy posted:

I'm desperately looking for an L-shaped couch that isn't a sectional and ideally does not have a useless sofa bed in it.

I have one from Bolia that I really like. Very customisable and no sofa bed. They're a little bit expensive but worth it imo

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Sticky Date posted:

Yeah, I finished this small side table a week ago and it was very challenging even with access to a very nice table saw.

We just had our bathrooms done with floating vanities. It's great for floor cleaning and I do like the look. They have a base frame with the melamine clad down the sides and base. Stone top. Here's a pic of the top corner.

And overall pic:

That's gorgeous. Congrats

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

LloydDobler posted:

We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they'd be easy!

quick and easy

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

pokeyman posted:

It's true! I got to my parents' for the holidays and heard "heat pumps don't work here" within a day, completely unprompted.

Where is that? Better be Alaska or somewhere similar

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Well exactly. Mine is just fine up here at 1700m in the Alps.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

:lol:

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

No they have a resistive electric heater as a backup which is obviously much less efficient. But you still get heating. I don't think mine has ever come on.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

You also need to have the heat pump unit in a sensible location, mine is under the terrace (on a very steep hill) and I think it doesn't get that cold under there. It gets pretty cold up here a few times through winter.

The house construction is obviously important, this is a new build place with good insulation and it doesn't cost very much to heat at all.

Gratuitous chalet phot:

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Messadiah posted:

3 story shed.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

No, also unlikely to need much heating in mid summer

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011