Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Thin steel plates held up by magnets sunk into the blocks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

His Divine Shadow posted:

I've always preferred the safety system wherein you change society so it has less poverty and smaller income disparity, thereby reducing my chances of burglary.

In the UK? I think the class system is considered a Heritage Asset and can only be changed in ways that respect the original construction methods, sorry. :shrug:

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Tear them down? I could blow on them and they'd come down. Very easy to remodel.

The interleaved log ones he's talking about? You could probably ram a car into one and it'd damage the car more.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Epitope posted:

Free easy drawing solution: slideshow software (powerpoint isn't free but libreoffice or whatever). Basic lines and shapes. Basic manipulation (lengthen, rotate). Easy and smooth grouping and copy/paste functionality. And the real key to victory: the align and distribute functions.

If you're installing LibreOffice in the first place, Draw is surprisingly nice.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

aniviron posted:

Maybe it's time for op to scrap all of this and go to a pebble bed design.

I'm sure he can find a retired AGR engineer to set up a pressurised CO2 system instead of all this troublesome water.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Side note: I live in a 1997 rental apartment in Oslo. There is no central HVAC, just an extractor fan for the kitchen and bathroom. Running the extractor fan does indeed make it hard to open both the apartment and balcony door, and the only airflow into the apartment is through two holes bored through the outer wall, with very restrictive grates. It's a real challenge keeping the place below 25C when it rains and we have to close the balcony door, and it's borderline unlivable if there is a heat wave.

Very cozy in the winter, though; there is central heating but we barely need it.

Separately, Norway has a standard for passive houses, NS3700/NS3701. I'm not going to buy a copy to check the details, but Google translate does a decent job with this explainer.

(Our place predates it, and also lacks several features.)

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Aug 10, 2023

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

goatface posted:

I loving hate stuffy houses.

Mmh. The good thing about this apartment is that it runs through the building, so we can get a decent circulation if we open the windows/door on both the north and south face.

99 shouldn't have that problem, since he's building it with proper HVAC and can pump a lot of (temperature regulated) air into and out of each room.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

devicenull posted:

So I'm gonna need an access point in the bathroom so I can use my phone on the shitter?

The current solution is to support both 2.4 and 5 GHz, since 5 has more channels and higher bandwidth, but 2.4 goes through walls better. 6GHz is even faster/more channels/worse at walls, and LiFi even more so if it ever becomes widespread.

I suspect 2.4 will be with us indefinitely as a fallback, just for the range and coverage benefits.

Also, the real solution is to get a 5G nanocell in every bathroom, so your guests/victims don't need to use the WiFi.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

The swedish word for a band-aid or plaster is "Plåster". I wonder if it came from the british word, aside from an umlaut it's basically the same word except an Å instead of an A (which sounds different).

Probably not, it looks like it was borrowed into the germanic languages so far back English and Swedish has it from the same root - with some amount of influence from old/norman French having done a very similar shortening (to "plastre").

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Now that we know those aircrete blocks float, I've come around to those piles being necessary to anchor the whole house during floods

Are piles equally resistant in both directions, or have they only been approved to handle downward forces?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I see claims that the best modern paints will last 16 years before you have to scrape and repaint your house, but of course those are fully opaque paints that leaves the wood looking far less ... woody than a stain.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

The 16 year stuff only came out a couple of years ago, so it obviously hasn't had 16 years of testing on random houses yet - but one would hope it adds another couple of years to those 7-10.

(Sorry for the moon language, I couldn't find anything about it in English.)

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

No it's a wood house alright. Photo, the garage building to the right was repaneled and repainted recently. The red on the main house should be like 20 years or so by now.

Imgur is weird - that link only works if I copy/paste it. Cute house, though.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

JunkDeluxe posted:

Slate cladding is on the rise for new builds in Denmark. Seeing more and more of it. Not sure of the cost though.

Very similar to the old asbestos cement tiles, just not ... you know.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

The old asbestos cement tile (eternitt etc) is stereotypically the house cladding of choice in the most weather-beaten little fishing villages on the North Sea coast, and those slate tiles seem to be very similar.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I'm still building up my courage on the bathroom woodworking but I think I know what needs to be done now, lots of helpful replies, cheers.

Back to the priority of Installing the heatpump so I can turn the heating on and get the place at a more steady temp so other stuff can turn up and the walls dont go mouldy and stuff. Still waiting for the italian buffer tank to come but I've gone through all the bits and bobs I got with the heatpump and really only all I need more is a mixer valve for the top of the water tank. And a bunch of pipe and bends and adapters and all that.

Heres the plan:

I have just been reading about the early days of petrol distillation and the invention of catalytic cracking and that sort of thing, and my first thought was definitely ":hmmyes: that definitely looks like part of an oil refinery".

After studying it for a bit, how do you mix the wood stove and heat pump hot water? Is that point where their hot water lines cross just a four-way junction and they mix based on the relative pressures, or?
I'm absolutely not familiar with the symbol usage here - are the Y things [overflow] drains, or teleports to another part of the diagram, or something else?

e: I hope you're ok with me asking the "I've never really studied one of these before and I have many dumb questions" questions. :)

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Dec 6, 2023

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Mousus posted:

For those who don't know the Y shaped bits are symbols for tundishes. Where you have a little funnel to catch water discharged by pressure relief valves, both so you can see it happening if you're looking and so you can be 100% sure that there isn't backflow.

Right, so my first guess of "overflow drain" wasn't actually that far off - probably a good choice of symbol, then.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Failed Imagineer posted:

And each stone has its own IP sub-address

A really complex IPv6 setup would match the rest of the house perfectly. :hmmyes:

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Vim Fuego posted:

Just plumb both the hot tap and the cold tap to the cold water pipe. They'll both still work, you just won't get hot water. Who cares about that?

This appears to be how the middle of three bathrooms at work is done. I asked about it about a year after we moved into the then-new building (in 2009), and the sigh and vague comment I got made it clear that it was way, way, more work and money to fix than the value of not washing your hands in 4°C water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

vanity slug posted:

Don't put loving servers in your rack at home

(I would move the dream machine down and add a 24 and 48 port switch between your patch panels simply to wire up all your ports)

I don't know, the Dell rackmount machines I've used are surprisingly quiet under light load except when booting, the form factor is space efficient, and you have the option of remote management. Besides, this is not going in a living space - I'd be wary of putting one in my office, but up in a technical space? Seems like a reasonable enough option to me.