Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

WhatEvil posted:

I used to think that the US-style of building houses (timber frame, forced-air heating) was poo poo, but since moving to Canada, I've come around to it. It seems much less intimidating to make modifications to your house with timber frame stuff, for one thing. You've got all cavities everywhere that you can cut into and gently caress around with easily. I even cut a hole fully through my house wall to install a catflap and it was really really easy.

Not to mention that in seismically active areas, timber framing is a much better choice than masonry. Sure, feel free to have bricks as a decorative element or non-structural wall, but don't use it to support the building if you don't want it to collapse when the ground decides to move. There are some real nightmare stories from before settlers in California figured that out. Or for buildings that hadn't been upgraded when a quake hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Yeah, by a silly California law, commercial business buildings are required to put up signs saying "In the case of an earthquake you're going to die because this building is unreinforced masonry, sorry about that." Rather than, say, doing anything at all about their building that is going to collapse come the Big One.

This law was actually passed as a result of my hometown getting hit by a quake that killed two, after a building that wasn't yet updated to new building codes had it's roof slide off. It still had time before it was legally required to, but at the very least there's now the signs showing that such buildings are death traps.

On the more positive side, that earthquake taught me that one of my high school teachers curses like a sailor. She was at the store where I was working when the earthquake hit.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Paso Robles?

That's the one! Smelt of sulfer for years thanks to the hot springs becoming uncapped.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Jaded Burnout posted:

That said, one of the big selling points from the head architect is that these are all single-occupancy, but do the USAers here know that double occupancy dorm rooms is one of those things we pretty much only see in american media, like football jocks and fraternities? I assume it's why you use the term "roommate" in later life while we say "flatmate" or "housemate" or whatever. Like some dorms have twin rooms but it's an exception not the norm, and you choose to take them.

The dorms I lived in had quadruple occupancy. Though that was at a university that had ~700 units for 37,000 students, so may have been atypical.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

aniviron posted:

That's a good idea. Along with the cheeky loft space which isn't really counted as usable internal house volume for government reasons, you can add an extra thirteen basement levels which they also don't need to know about. You've already got most of the work done, just fill out the spaces between the pilings! As an added bonus it's guaranteed to be airtight and won't add much to the heating bill.

Like the Colin Furze secret tunnel that he needed to get after-the-fact council permission for, including having plans drawn up.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Leperflesh posted:

Wait so, you can't have the three phase smart meter the guy had in his van, because you're on "New Energy Platform," he just can't install it because of whatever the gently caress NEP is? Is that it?

is it this poo poo? A "startup mentality" sub-team using Salesforce and AWS? And they just like, forgot about three-phase power?

"Startup mentality" indicates a desire to 'move fast and break things'. You expect them to remember Kyrie details like that when they're busy figuring out how to jam a large language model into what they do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Arrath posted:

Why in God's name would you just blithely open the door and invite the vampire in like that?

Could be worse, could have mentioned Solarwi... shoot that was too close.